Men vs Florida Game Thread

Maverick.AU

It's insane how complacent some of our fans have become. We're sitting at 24-3 and lost on the road to a team that was absolutely fighting for their life. That was a bad final possession but that was FAR from a bad loss. 

Did someone seriously just say we should be a #3 seed?? Yikes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Also Pearl said he set the play up based on fl not wanting to allow to ball to Wendell on inbounds but they didn’t   
he planned to lob it to Kessler and then pass it to a streaking Greene to the basket or find open shot. 
greene as usual held the ball too long and simply forced the pass inside too late. 

Greenes done that too many times even though we’ve seen him penetrate so well to the basket. 

• Like 3

TO's cost us the game. 

That said, we had a chance at the end with 7.5 sec to call a play that would give us the best chance to score...  I didn't think what we ran was our high % play/shot to score was that play - run the clock down to 1 sec then pass it off for someone to shoot.   This call/play was awful.  

That is our 2 things to fix going forward; better passing for less TO's and having a election of plays to give us a better high % shot.

5 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

It's insane how complacent some of our fans have become. We're sitting at 24-3 and lost on the road to a team that was absolutely fighting for their life. That was a bad final possession but that was FAR from a bad loss. 

Yeah that 3 seed comment had me laughing... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

Yes I did . Seriously I did . Not complacency. Quite the opposite. This team is not playing like a top 5 team . It’s reality .    

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Yes I did . Seriously I did . Not complacency. Quite the opposite. This team is not playing like a top 5 team . It’s reality .    

True. We don’t play the same on the road especially our guard play. Greene again struggled from 3 pt. 
Too many TOs from guards. 
need some points from the 3 position. 

guard play wins championship. We are not at that level this late. 

and it’s not about the record. It’s how u play down the stretch. 

• Like 1

I hated not to win @ Florida, but that was a good loss in preparation for the big dance. This team needed a kick in the teeth to help them learn not to start slow and also how to finish games.  The mindset is always easier playing with a chip on your shoulder.  Being ranked 1 or 2 winds up being a burden.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we lose the next two road games, a three seed isn’t out of the realm of possibility. That only takes 8 teams being ahead of you!  Bruce has owned UT recently, so I’m optimistic. 

I don’t care what the play was if Jabari is the pro everyone say he is he has to get the last shot or play goes through him point blank period. He is tall enough to rise up over anyone. Two losses and the play doesn’t run through him is mind boggling

Edited by e808
  • Like 6

That was just stupid they knew he wasn’t going to give the ball up all they did was just block him from getting to the basket!  They had plenty of time to make a couple of passes and get it to Jabari or Kessler for the winner.  I hope he never puts Green in that position again. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Yeah that 3 seed comment had me laughing... 

I’m glad you are laughing  . 0-2 last two road sec games. Nothing to laugh at GT. This team will not beat UT on the road . Playing like the 3-4 best team in the SEC. 

• Like 3

They're definitely below UK and Purdue in the 2 seed rn. They're closer to a 3 seed than a 1 seed

edit: the next line was Baylor, Kentucky, Purdue and Duke as the 2 seeds in that order. UK will possibly jump Baylor for the 1 seed, but either way that doesn't matter. You're not putting whichever one is the top of the 2 seeds behind Auburn after this loss. Purdue has an ugly loss to Michigan in the last 2 weeks, but they have one of the hottest teams in CBB in Rutgers tomorrow. They win that, they're not falling behind us I would imagine. I'd have us above Duke probably, but who knows? We're not top of the 2 seed though, no way. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

6 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I’m glad you are laughing  . 0-2 last two road sec games. Nothing to laugh at GT. This team will not beat UT on the road . Playing like the 3-4 best team in the SEC. 

This team (at the moment) has Sweet 16 exit written all over them 

• Like 2

It’s just disappointing. The rules don’t change from a beginner all the way to the pros. U always won’t ur best player to at least touch the ball with the game on the line

Ark up late on UTk. Would help immensely with our #1 seed in both SEC reg szn and tourney, but moreso the latter. Makes it to where you can't just lose everything if you were (hypothetically) to lose in Knoxville. 

Kentucky still has a hard stretch and still has Tyty and Sahvir going through ailments. It's not impossible for them to lose again 

59 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I hated not to win @ Florida, but that was a good loss in preparation for the big dance. This team needed a kick in the teeth to help them learn not to start slow and also how to finish games.  The mindset is always easier playing with a chip on your shoulder.  Being ranked 1 or 2 winds up being a burden.

I thought that’s what we were saying/hoping for  after the Arkansas loss?

• Like 2

Wendell having the ball in his hands at the end was awful. Jabari absolutely has to to have that shot in the end, there’s no need to overthink it. Bad bad bad. 

• Like 3

Here's what frustrates me. We played an awful 1st half but managed to only be down a point (& had 3 chances to take the lead but didn't get even shots off due to TOs & that horrid play just before half). I thought how we'd played poor 1st halves in other games & then came out & played a really good 2nd half. And that's how we began the 2nd half. For the 1st 10-11 minutes we not only played good ball but actually took control of the game, had momentum, were playing smart, looking confident. I thought, "this is my team!" So, we have a 6 point lead & the ball, & Cambridge made that terrible pass for another TO which led to a Florida 3 which turned all the momentum back in their favor. A 10-2 run later they've regained the lead, & I'm not sure we ever got the lead back. That's the kind of mistake you just can't make on the road. And that's the kind of play we weren't making earlier. We have to show more poise & smarts than that. Oh yeah, & we have to hit some shots!

16 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

Here's what frustrates me. We played an awful 1st half but managed to only be down a point (& had 3 chances to take the lead but didn't get even shots off due to TOs & that horrid play just before half). I thought how we'd played poor 1st halves in other games & then came out & played a really good 2nd half. And that's how we began the 2nd half. For the 1st 10-11 minutes we not only played good ball but actually took control of the game, had momentum, were playing smart, looking confident. I thought, "this is my team!" So, we have a 6 point lead & the ball, & Cambridge made that terrible pass for another TO which led to a Florida 3 which turned all the momentum back in their favor. A 10-2 run later they've regained the lead, & I'm not sure we ever got the lead back. That's the kind of mistake you just can't make on the road. And that's the kind of play we weren't making earlier. We have to show more poise & smarts than that. Oh yeah, & we have to hit some shots!

I’ll say one thing, we were giving up open threes throughout. For that stretch where UF usurped a good lead, they just finally started making them. I think we put such an emphasis on just switching and switching and we tend to lose guys. 

I really think you can encapsulate the past few poor performances to bad habits eventually coming to a head. Things that we hoped would get cleaned up when we were kicking ass that didn’t 

I really hope some of you don't start the jumping off the edge, we suck stuff. This happens every year bro. I'd think we would be tired of it by now.

First it's the people are angry when you critique the team. Then it's the people hype us to be on a level we aren't on. Then next it's those people are so disappointed that we have some bad games because they hyped the team up so, that now they are devastated and think we suck.

We are a young inexperienced team that's learning a bunch every single game......we are going to be fine.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1