Post-Season Awards!

tgrogan21

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/bruce-pearl-coach-of-the-year-184050063/

Coach Pearl is the SEC Coach of the Year.

Well-deserved honors all-around!!!

Edit: If any mods want to update the title feel free but I'm sure these won't be our only awards before the season is up!

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Very strange that they chose 9 just for the 1st team.

True!   I am confident our nine can beat any other conference’s starting five.  😁

• Haha 2

Bruce Pearl wins SEC Coach of the Year

ByNATHAN KING 11 minutes ago

Please turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

Bracketology Breakdown: SEC Tournament Outlook

For the first time in his eight seasons at Auburn, Bruce Pearl has been honored as the SEC's top coach.

As part of the official 2021-22 SEC basketball awards, announced Tuesday morning, Pearl won SEC Coach of the Year for the third time in his career and the first at Auburn.

The Tigers dominated the conference accolades, with Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler also earning Freshman of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year, respectively.

Picked to finish fifth in the league in the preseason, Auburn achieved its highest AP poll ranking ever, sitting at No. 1 for three weeks. The Tigers led the SEC wire-to-wire, as they won their first 10 games in the conference and finished with a 15-3 record in league play. Pearl's team set the Auburn record for most SEC wins (15) and most total wins (27) in a regular season, besting the 1998-99 team.

Auburn finished four spots above its preseason projection in the final league standings — the biggest rise of any team in the conference this season.

"It's all about our players," Pearl said after winning the conference outright. "To be 15-3 in this league says they came to play every night. That is virtually impossible to do when you're dealing with 18- and 19-year-old kids. Our guys came to play every single night."

Pearl has now been named coach of the year in the respective conference at least once at each of the four head-coaching stops in his career.

Last week, Auburn won its last two games of the regular season to clinch a share of the SEC regular-season title, then an outright championship. It's the third SEC championship for Pearl in the past five seasons, and the second regular-season crown.

Before Pearl's arrival, Auburn had three SEC championships, period.

2COMMENTS

The Tigers will be either a No. 1 or No. 2 seed on Selection Sunday, depending on results in conference tournaments for them and a couple other high seeds, and will likely play the first weekend of games in Greenville, South Carolina.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

True!   I am confident our nine can beat any other conference’s starting five.  😁

What sucks is it just diminishes the value of the accomplishment by putting so many people on the 1st team.

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

What sucks is it just diminishes the value of the accomplishment by putting so many people on the 1st team.

That’s true.   But I wouldn’t want to be the one to have to decide on 2 spots for Jabari, Walker, and Oscar.   JWill (from Arky) had a great year, but sorry, he definitely gets 2nd team in that scenario.   

What a time to be an Auburn basketball fan. Let's all enjoy the ride no matter how it ends. This has been and will continue to be a special season. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Scotty-Notae-Jabari-Oscar-Walker would a NASTY starting 5 

Really would be, but to be honest I would probably put Tshiebwe ahead of Kessler, not by much as he at this point is a more complete player.  Now if our guards would feed Kessler a little more on the pick and roll I might change my mind. Either way great jon by Smith and Kessler they deserve the honor as does Pearl as coach of the year in the SEC. If team does well in the SEC and NCAA tournaments Pearl has a great shot as National Coach of the Year.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Really would be, but to be honest I would probably put Tshiebwe ahead of Kessler, not by much as he at this point is a more complete player.  Now if our guards would feed Kessler a little more on the pick and roll I might change my mind. Either way great jon by Smith and Kessler they deserve the honor as does Pearl as coach of the year in the SEC. If team does well in the SEC and NCAA tournaments Pearl has a great shot as National Coach of the Year.

Oscar is Tshiebwe's first name. The line up would be Jabari at the 3, Oscar at the 4, Kessler at the 5.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Oscar is probably NPOY, I don’t think you should feel like that’s a contentious opinion. If Kessler had a better first month to his career here (on O really), who knows where he’d be on these lists