Spring Practice Discussion Thread Week 1

Didba

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Did you catch Calzada being mostly terrible and the other guys never throwing a pass in D1???

Not sure what you really expected here

I’d be willing to bet all the others not named Calzada can seriously compete if not outperform TJ. 

I’d like to see if the DD hype is real. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I don't think there is any hype left

The only hype is from fans like him. We shall see how it plays out. Let the best man win 

• Like 2

This is public so assuming it's ok to post. If not, mods please take down. In the first part of the video with the full offense looks like TJ was still with the ones, but I think that is Holden that comes in with the second string. I know they're rotating reps and it likely means nothing but found that interesting 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, woodford said:

I’d be willing to bet all the others not named Calzada can seriously compete if not outperform TJ. 

I’d like to see if the DD hype is real. 

Maybe, but he's a returning starter who was very raw and is now just entering his 2nd spring. He still has a lot of development and jumps that can happen.

The idea is wild that TJ is a finished product who is done developing bc he didn't look good thrust into action as a Rs/TrFr on a team that the joined just a few months earlier 

Edited by W.E.D

10 hours ago, au302 said:

This is public so assuming it's ok to post. If not, mods please take down. In the first part of the video with the full offense looks like TJ was still with the ones, but I think that is Holden that comes in with the second string. I know they're rotating reps and it likely means nothing but found that interesting 

A RB slip screen!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe, but he's a returning starter who was very raw and is now just entering his 2nd spring. He still has a lot of development and jumps that can happen.

The idea is wild that TJ is a finished product who is done developing bc he didn't look good thrust into action as a Rs/TrFr on a team that the joined just a few months earlier 

Every single thing you are saying about TJ can be said about Calzada as well and Calzada looked much better than TJ last year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's not that wild and I don't think he's a finished product either. However, he wasn't SEC starting QB caliber last year and I'd be willing to bet he won't be this fall either. 

Would love to see him succeed because that means Auburn would succeed. 

• Like 1

I was gonna make a new thread each week but since there is very little info being released right now, I don't think there is a need for another thread.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Every single thing you are saying about TJ can be said about Calzada as well and Calzada looked much better than TJ last year. 

I don't disagree. Although the jumps year to year get less dramatic and he's older

52 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't disagree. Although the jumps year to year get less dramatic and he's older

This is not always true. Many QBs have made their biggest jumps from Sophomore to Junior and Junior to Senior years. There are many many factors in that progression. Coaching. How the player responds to the current coach he is at. System. How the player fits in said system. Maturity. Every player matures both physically and mentally on a different timeline. 

Yes ZC is older, but only a year and they have played in nearly the exact same amount of games so when it comes to experience they are virtually the same. 

22 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This is not always true.

Generally it is, sure you can use anecdotal examples.

It's going to be TJ or Calzada. Just depends in which one improves more. IMO

Edited by W.E.D

58 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Generally it is, sure you can use anecdotal examples.

It's going to be TJ or Calzada. Just depends in which one improves more. IMO

Im not using anecdotal examples. I didn't give an example period. You made a generalized statement about QBs  improving less and less each year and I am saying there are many factors that go into each individual players progression timeline. Hell many players go that get adequate PT from Frosh to Sr years go through a slump after there first year only to improve drastically in year 3 and 4. It's a coin flip. You want to call that anecdotal then by all means lol. 

I agree it between those 2 and I fully expect ZC to be starter for the season. I am not pulling for one over the other, and will be happy with who ever gives us the best chance to win.  

• Like 1

https://www.instagram.com/tigers.cfb/?hl=en

Anyone here on instagram? No clue who this guy is but he posted a picture of JT Daniels an hour ago. I know we're not publicly in it for him, and I'm assuming this is either a troll account or over-excited fan, but figured I'd ask if anyone knows if the guy knows anything since it's slow, lol 

14 hours ago, W.E.D said:

The problem is TJ’s shortcomings seem to be mostly around his touch on the ball. That’s a tough one to fix. It isn’t bad decisions or mechanics or needing to hit the weight room or reads. The guy just doesn’t have touch. It’s like a basketball player that isn’t a good 3 point shooter. Accuracy is rarely an issue that gets dramatically improved.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, au302 said:

https://www.instagram.com/tigers.cfb/?hl=en

Anyone here on instagram? No clue who this guy is but he posted a picture of JT Daniels an hour ago. I know we're not publicly in it for him, and I'm assuming this is either a troll account or over-excited fan, but figured I'd ask if anyone knows if the guy knows anything since it's slow, lol 

Idk anything about JT, but that’s just a random Auburn fan account. The knowledge he’d glean is from the same sources someone on here could 

• Like 1

If we have a single open spot and it's July and we already filled our needs, I could see it.  But taking him right now doesn't make any sense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

If we have a single open spot and it's July and we already filled our needs, I could see it.  But taking him right now doesn't make any sense

I think he's a considerable upgrade at QB. That's worth a spot anytime. 

Doesn't seem like a possibility though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cbo said:

I think he's a considerable upgrade at QB. That's worth a spot anytime. 

Doesn't seem like a possibility though. 

That's my position on him. A lot of fans say they don't want him because he's made of glass. That argument doesn't make sense to me. At minimum, he's better than 2 or 3 of the 5 we got on roster and upgrades depth.

Most likely, he's better than all of them, at least right now. Even if he came here and gets hurt, you still have the others. But I know it's a moot point since he's likely not coming here

• Like 1

Lol Harsin said there’s usually some separation in QB races after a week and with DD transferring out it looks like he meant it

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Lol Harsin said there’s usually some separation in QB races after a week and with DD transferring out it looks like he meant it

Looks like it.  I'm just happy ppl will stop screaming for DD to start games b/c he won a couple Texas District Titles at West Canaan

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Looks like it.  I'm just happy ppl will stop screaming for DD to start games b/c he won a couple Texas District Titles at West Canaan

I wanted to see him too. Anything was better than a 1 legged Finley being on the field 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

I wanted to see him too. Anything was better than a 1 legged Finley being on the field 

Maybe, but with his accuracy, weak arm, and inability to read defense, Lpy was probably the next man up