Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

19 hours ago, DAG said:

I just took my boards today for psych NP and passed.

Congratulations on passing DAG!  I know you have been studying for that for a good while.

20 hours ago, Didba said:

I appreciate that and congratulations to you!

The bar is in late July so I'll be finishing up this last semester taking finals and switching gears to cram for the Bar for 10 weeks straight. Its the kinda exam where you just have to study hard for about 500 hours and you will pass just fine.  School makes us take a Bar preview course as well this last semester that starts laying the foundation for studying.

It’s not so bad. The Barbri, etc. courses do a good job of prepping you. Like you said,  you just put in the work and you will pass. Try not to stress too much about it. 

@DAG congratulations on passing your boards!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:57 AM, bigbird said:

I mean it doesn't mean anything that his % was atrocious, his YPA was tiny, or his attempts were far more others.

Here's where you said that. I bolded it just for you. Attempts per game and attempts per year are nothing but an irrelevant smokescreen you are posting to try to obscure your inaccurate statements. Game or annual stats are a different category from career stats. You know that of course, but again, you are doing nothing with those stats but trying to obscure the errors you posted.

Again, if Nix's % completions was atrocious, why did Harsin go bring in transfer QB's who were even worse in that category?

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Attempts per game and attempts per year are nothing but an irrelevant smokescreen you are posting to try to obscure your inaccurate statements. Game or annual stats are a different category from career stats. You know that of course, but again, you are doing nothing with those stats but trying to obscure the errors you posted.

How are career stats built?

The only obfuscation here is you trying to pass off Nix as the 2nd coming of Sullivan based off of " all-time offensive leader"...not passing leader, not the leader in completion %, not the rushing leader, not a leader for Y/A, etc. He was average at everything but had a lot of attempts. In fact, more than anyone besides White and based off his yearly avg, would have surpassed White about halfway through this season if he hadn't quit. He isn't the All-time offensive leader because of his skill, that's proven in his comp% and his Y/A.  

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Again, if Nix's % completions was atrocious, why did Harsin go bring in transfer QB's who were even worse in that category?

I think it means the man with the .726 win pct as a HC didn't think much of Nix and thought he was bringing in better.

You know, he uses nuance to understand that all sorts of factors go into a person's abilities. In fact, you do too and admit as much in a separate thread when pressed about how many wins it takes to retain CBH.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:29 PM, Mikey said:

As to the how many wins gets him retained question, that depends on other factors as well. 

It's very telling you choose to ignore "other factors" when you try to prop up your weak, transparent arguments.

CBH saw first hand what Nix was and chose to bring in Finley and Ashford and then chose not to pursue Nix when he quit on the team.

What does that say about what the former D1, 4 year starting QB with 22 years of collegiate coaching experience, desperate for leadership and depth at QB, thought of Nix?

Probably the same thing Dan Lanning is thinking...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

The only obfuscation here is you trying to pass off Nix as the 2nd coming of Sullivan based off of " all-time offensive leader"...not passing leader, not the leader in completion %, not the rushing leader, not a leader for Y/A, etc. He was average at everything but had a lot of attempts. In fact, more than anyone besides White and based off his yearly avg, would have surpassed White about halfway through this season if he hadn't quit. He isn't the All-time offensive leader because of his skill, that's proven in his comp% and his Y/A.  

I think it means the man with the .726 win pct as a HC didn't think much of Nix and thought he was bringing in better.

You know, he uses nuance to understand that all sorts of factors go into a person's abilities. In fact, you do too and admit as much in a separate thread when pressed about how many wins it takes to retain CBH.

It's very telling you choose to ignore "other factors" when you try to prop up your weak, transparent arguments.

CBH saw first hand what Nix was and chose to bring in Finley and Ashford and then chose not to pursue Nix when he quit on the team.

What does that say about what the former D1, 4 year starting QB with 22 years of collegiate coaching experience, desperate for leadership and depth at QB, thought of Nix?

Probably the same thing Dan Lanning is thinking...

If Nix ends up on the bench at Oregon I'll seriously laugh at the irony

• Like 5

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

Who cares? The final stats are what counts. Again, all you are doing with the annual stuff is trying to lay a smokescreen to distract attention from your inaccurate statement.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Didba said:

If Nix ends up on the bench at Oregon I'll seriously laugh at the irony

He may or may not be the starter at Oregon. This laughing at his failure is right in character for you though. How bad does it hurt your feelings that Gus had a great first year at UCF? That would be "great" in comparison to what AU's first year coach accomplished with his new team.

Gus inherited a 6-5 team, lost his starting QB to injury early on and still coached them up to 9-4 and a bowl win over SEC member Florida.

Harsin inherited a 6-5 team, lost his starting QB in the 9th game of the season and coached them down to 6-7, including a bowl loss to middleweight Houston.

Worthy of note: Harsin was 6-3 in games in which the despised Bo Nix was healthy, 0-4 in games in which Nix was injured.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Who cares? The final stats are what counts. Again, all you are doing with the annual stuff is trying to lay a smokescreen to distract attention from your inaccurate statement.

So how one accumulates their stats doesn't matter? Priceless

Would someone please agree with Mikey that Bo is the best, most decorated QB in AU history. Then maybe he can again focus all his attention on hating all things Harsin

• Like 2

9-4 overall

5-3 in conference

1-4 away 

I love the fact that this is what you considered a great season.  It explains a whole lot.

Your love for Gus is hilariously misplaced.  

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

9-4 overall

5-3 in conference

1-4 away 

I love the fact that this is what you considered a great season.  It explains a whole lot.

UCF also didn’t play the only 12 win team in their conference, while we drew them in our bowl game. As far as I know, we are the only team in the nation to play three 12 win teams last year. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

UCF also didn’t play the only 12 win team in their conference, while we drew them in our bowl game. As far as I know, we are the only team in the nation to play three 12 win teams last year. 

They did play Navy though...

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

He may or may not be the starter at Oregon. This laughing at his failure is right in character for you though. How bad does it hurt your feelings that Gus had a great first year at UCF? That would be "great" in comparison to what AU's first year coach accomplished with his new team.

Gus inherited a 6-5 team, lost his starting QB to injury early on and still coached them up to 9-4 and a bowl win over SEC member Florida.

Harsin inherited a 6-5 team, lost his starting QB in the 9th game of the season and coached them down to 6-7, including a bowl loss to middleweight Houston.

Worthy of note: Harsin was 6-3 in games in which the despised Bo Nix was healthy, 0-4 in games in which Nix was injured.

I am way too busy writing a seminar paper and studying for the Bar exam to even deign a response to this.  Nice try with the bait though.

Go find someone else's time to waste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2022 at 12:52 PM, DAG said:

FYI, I know you said your bar is coming up soon. Definitely will be praying for you . I just took my boards today for psych NP and passed. Good luck to your brother. Now back to regular programming. 

Congrats to you, DAG.  Psych NP, huh?  Found any interesting case studies among the members here on this forum?  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

Congrats to you, DAG.  Psych NP, huh?  Found any interesting case studies among the members here on this forum?  

Several based on some posting styles haha 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

So how one accumulates their stats doesn't matter? Priceless

It matters not at all when measuring career stats. Unless you can post the arithmetic tables that prove 1057 is a larger number than 1231, you are stuck with your inaccurate claim.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

9-4 overall

5-3 in conference

1-4 away 

Still having a problem reading an entire post, I see. 9-4 is only great when compared to taking a team that hasn't had a losing season in eight years and coaching them down to a 6-7 record that includes ending the season on a five game losing streak.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Several based on some posting styles haha 

Congrats.

Note: I refuse any evaluation due to my hippa privacy. It's a law!!! /s

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

BIRD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mikey said:

Are you seriously comparing the AAC to the SEC?   And you do know that Florida was a dumpster fire by the time the bowl game came around.   Auburn wasn’t much better by the end of the year but looking at stats to determine if Nix is the all time best QB at Auburn is silly.   He is definitely not in the top 5 and probably not in top 10.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

@Mikey, you know I don't have any issues with you.  Never have and most likely never will.  I don't hate anyone on here, even if they don't reciprocate.  You also know I was Bo's biggest fan and had been following him since high school.  I am the same way with Holden due to my personal ties with his family.  If I may make a suggestion, to save all of the back and forth, I would just wait until the Fall to see where Bo ends up.  Let the results speak for themselves.

Unfortunately Bo is no longer at Auburn, and I hate how his chapter at Auburn ended.  It still hurts to think about it, after all he gave to the university.  If he ends up the starter and lights it up at Oregon, it will make Harsin look like he made another bad decision at Auburn.  If he doesn't, then maybe it helps Auburn get back on track one year faster with a new quarterback taking the reins.

I am only saying all of this, because I know these types of arguments are what drives people away from this forum.  I always think back to what @AUsince72 told me in a PM, is that people like him come to this forum to escape from their lives in what they have going on.  He is no longer with us unfortunately, but he is far from the only one dealing with issues that come here to escape.  You aren't the only one at fault here for arguing, but I hope you can see my side and let bygones be bygones.  Let the football field determine the winner of this conversation.  This back and forth will only cause more frustration on everyone's ends.  I hope the tone of my voice that I am writing this in comes across the way it is intended, and not in any hateful sort of way.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

@Mikey, you know I don't have any issues with you.  Never have and most likely never will.  I don't hate anyone on here, even if they don't reciprocate.  You also know I was Bo's biggest fan and had been following him since high school.  I am the same way with Holden due to my personal ties with his family.  If I may make a suggestion, to save all of the back and forth, I would just wait until the Fall to see where Bo ends up.  Let the results speak for themselves.

Unfortunately Bo is no longer at Auburn, and I hate how his chapter at Auburn ended.  It still hurts to think about it, after all he gave to the university.  If he ends up the starter and lights it up at Oregon, it will make Harsin look like he made another bad decision at Auburn.  If he doesn't, then maybe it helps Auburn get back on track one year faster with a new quarterback taking the reins.

I am only saying all of this, because I know these types of arguments are what drives people away from this forum.  I always think back to what @AUsince72 told me in a PM, is that people like him come to this forum to escape from their lives in what they have going on.  He is no longer with us unfortunately, but he is far from the only one dealing with issues that come here to escape.  You aren't the only one at fault here for arguing, but I hope you can see my side and let bygones be bygones.  Let the football field determine the winner of this conversation.  This back and forth will only cause more frustration on everyone's ends.  I hope the tone of my voice that I am writing this in comes across the way it is intended, and not in any hateful sort of way.

This is a good post.

Question, though. If Bo were to go and "light it up" at Oregon this season, why would it reflect as a bad decision on Harsin?  No one but Bo, Coaching staff, and maybe the immediate family of Bo truly know exactly how that all went down. I really doubt Coach asked Bo to leave. I also doubt that he didn't put forth some effort to keep him. If the rumors were true about the Nix family's demands and Coach Harsin denied the request then that is not on Coach that is on Bo. 

Also, we all need to keep some context when considering Bo's successes and failures this season at Oregon. He should be expected to have better all around stats playing in the PAC as opposed to the SEC weekly grind with much better defenses. 

All in all, I hope Bo does well. If he does, I don't think that reflects negatively on Coach Harsin nor do I think it would validate Coach Harsin in the event that Bo fails at Oregon. The kid made a choice to leave his family school where he was the incumbent 3 year starter. That was his choice. Maybe he wasn't begged to stay, but if he never threatened to leave then there would have been no reason to beg.(Again none of us really know exactly what went down anyways)

Furthermore, in regards to Bo's AU legacy, I hate the way it played out even if I think maybe it was a toxic relationship. Bo had some pretty good accomplishments here that IMO will always be overshadowed by the fact that he left. One faction of the fan base will always blame the fans for being mean to Bo and too critical, while another faction will always hate on him regardless the heights he may or may not reach. Then there are a few level headed fans who see it for it is which is a shame it didn't work out between the two and wish both parties the best. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Question, though. If Bo were to go and "light it up" at Oregon this season, why would it reflect as a bad decision on Harsin?  

If Nix does well at Oregon, it would tell me Harsin made a bad decision in what I perceive in not making much of an effort to keep the best quarterback he had on hand.  Instead, what we have right now are three transfer quarterbacks and a true freshman.  If Nix succeeds at Oregon, it will look really bad for Harsin that he did not retain him.  With our OL the way it is, we need a mobile quarterback, and Ashford is the only mobile quarterback we have.  Harsin really needs to succeed this season either on the field or in recruiting (hopefully both).  This is assuming Nix wins the starting job at Oregon and then proceeds to win games for Oregon, of course.

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

If Nix does well at Oregon, it would tell me Harsin made a bad decision in what I perceive in not making much of an effort to keep the best quarterback he had on hand.  Instead, what we have right now are three transfer quarterbacks and a true freshman.  If Nix succeeds at Oregon, it will look really bad for Harsin that he did not retain him.  With our OL the way it is, we need a mobile quarterback, and Ashford is the only mobile quarterback we have.  Harsin really needs to succeed this season either on the field or in recruiting (hopefully both).  This is assuming Nix wins the starting job at Oregon and then proceeds to win games for Oregon, of course.

Rumor was that the Nix family went to CBH after season with a list of wants/demands. No one knows if this is true or not, but it is highly speculated. Let's assume for the sake of arguing that it is true. That begs the question of what were the demands? Not to bring in a transfer QB? To guarantee Nix wouldn't be pulled again? To only recruit a certain number of QBs? To sign a big time WR?  Who knows. So that puts a decision on CBH to give in to the demands to keep what has been an average at best QB or to say " We want you here and want you to play for us, but we run this ship and are not going to give in to these demands" in so many words.

I don't agree  that is a bad decision on the coach, even if Bo does ball out at a school with significantly weaker competition week to week.  It would be different is CBH asked Bo to leave. Bo made that decision. No one knows to what extent the staff went to keep him, but at that point he had never been much more than average no matter how badly many of us wanted for him to be a star. 

I also disagree that we need a mobile QB. That is always a plus if you have a guy that can create with his feet and that was a double edge sword for Bo. He was the best at it when utilized properly, but he often bailed way to early and instead of stepping up in the pocket he bailed towards the sideline. Sometimes it paid off, more times than not it didn't. Our OL was not as horrible as many like to make it out to be especially in the pass game. This should be a fun conversation after the 22 season lol. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I also disagree that we need a mobile QB. That is always a plus if you have a guy that can create with his feet and that was a double edge sword for Bo. He was the best at it when utilized properly, but he often bailed way to early and instead of stepping up in the pocket he bailed towards the sideline. Sometimes it paid off, more times than not it didn't. Our OL was not as horrible as many like to make it out to be especially in the pass game. This should be a fun conversation after the 22 season lol. 

From what has been said on the Eagles Nest in regard to our OL at practices, I think we will need a QB who is mobile to create time for our receivers to run their routes.  From what I remember with Calzada, he stands in the pocket like a boss, but to his detriment that got him injured in our game against us of all games.  He will have less time with our OL I am afraid.

28 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Rumor was that the Nix family went to CBH after season with a list of wants/demands. No one knows if this is true or not, but it is highly speculated. Let's assume for the sake of arguing that it is true. That begs the question of what were the demands? Not to bring in a transfer QB? To guarantee Nix wouldn't be pulled again? To only recruit a certain number of QBs? To sign a big time WR?  Who knows. So that puts a decision on CBH to give in to the demands to keep what has been an average at best QB or to say " We want you here and want you to play for us, but we run this ship and are not going to give in to these demands" in so many words.

Per WDE, this was true so I believe it.  I am not sure if it is that black and white however.  No one may ever know.  Part of the job is to recruit kids to stay, like Mason did to keep a lot of our guys on defense before he left himself.  I think time will tell for me if Harsin made the right decision or not to try harder to keep Bo.  If you think about it, all kids want some sort of guarantee.  For what was said about Tank staying, he wanted some sort of guarantee in the form of a lucrative NIL deal, which he got.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1