Men vs Miami Game Thread

Maverick.AU

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Yes I think I do remember hearing that. Maybe the recovered Achilles will allow him to shoot straight, make layups, and not pass the ball into the stands. Other than that yeah he’s our best next year. 

Bahahahaha don’t forget miss the floor whilst dribbling

4 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Why in the hell would he start over Jaylin if this weren’t the case? Williams does everything better . Been saying this all year long.

You're right but what concerns me is Bruce's loyalty to his guys no matter what. Flan had 1 good year and got hurt. He's a good defender but if there's someone better at that position, they should 100% be starting over him. 

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

I was feeling some type of way but have to remember Harper and Bryce got better throughout there tenure at Auburn. It’s hard to say how good the guards will be it was their first year together. I am sure they will work on their strengths and weaknesses in the off-season. I think there sound be a little more substance to the offense.

They'll improve, but even in 2016 you could see that Jared and Bryce had so much potential. I don't think Wendell has nearly the explosiveness of Jared, and we know KD can't even come close to shooting like Bryce (not that many could). I think you recruit over them in the portal like Bruce likes to do and we'll upgrade 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

You're right but what concerns me is Bruce's loyalty to his guys no matter what. Flan had 1 good year and got hurt. He's a good defender but if there's someone better at that position, they should 100% be starting over him. 

Wes might be his best recruiter and he’s willing to sacrifice a schollie on Allen to keep that? No idea just throwing it out there.

• Like 1

i mean I'd have to say, he needs to take the $, but man would I love in the 1 in a billion chance that he and kess ran it back 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

i mean I'd have to say, he needs to take the $, but man would I love in the 1 in a billion chance that he and kess ran it back 

I don’t know what else they would expect him to say at this point. The kid isn’t gonna stand up there after this loss and announce anything on the matter. I’d love him to stay too but that’s not reality. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Wes might be his best recruiter and he’s willing to sacrifice a schollie on Allen to keep that? No idea just throwing it out there.

Bingo! But does Bruce have to start Allen and give him as many minutes as he does? He has to see the cluster Allen produces when he’s in the game. Would Jaylin think of transferring because of Bruce’s “ obligation “ to give Allen minutes?

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I don’t know what else they would expect him to say at this point. The kid isn’t gonna stand up there after this loss and announce anything on the matter. I’d love him to stay too but that’s not reality. 

Exactly, there is no benefit for him to come back

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Exactly. No way he stays. 

I think his response shows just how much he loves AU and the team. He has done so much for the future of AU basketball. I'm sure he'll help us going forward to let 4* and 5* players know that AU is the place to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e808 said:

The landscape of college basketball is changing. I remember in years past the higher seeds would be winning by 30 plus points in the first round and pretty easily in the second round to make it to the sweet 16. Times have changed. U can lose in any round now if u dont bring ur A game

I agree you can lose in any round of the tourney. Look at 2018, Virginia was the #1 overall seed and lost in the 1st round to a #16 seed. First time in history that's happened. The very next year Virginia comes back and wins the national title. 

It's cliche to say "Survive and advance" but it's literally just that come tournament time. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Exactly. No way he stays. 

I think his response shows just how much he loves AU and the team. He has done so much for the future of AU basketball. I'm sure he'll help us going forward to let 4* and 5* players know that AU is the place to be.

The only thing that could make the Jabari possibility even remotely interesting is if Kessler stayed for what ever reason.  Jabari will get selected in the NBA draft, I still believe he will be a top 3 pick.  How do you turn that down and stay in college?  If he was a late 1st round selection... just stop, he has to go if called. 

But it would be interesting if our previous 1 and done players could talk to Jabari - what would they tell him?

3 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

The only thing that could make the Jabari possibility even remotely interesting is if Kessler stayed for what ever reason.  Jabari will get selected in the NBA draft, I still believe he will be a top 3 pick.  How do you turn that down and stay in college?  If he was a late 1st round selection... just stop, he has to go if called. 

But it would be interesting if our previous 1 and done players could talk to Jabari - what would they tell him?

Go. There's ZERO reason for him to come back. He's just giving the standard response. Jabari did what he needed to do at AU. Congrats to him. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Those achilles injuries are so hard to come back from. Of all the players in the NBA throught the years that had achilles injuries, only Dominique Wilkins and Durant have come back as good or better than they were before. As hard as Kobe Bryant worked to be back to his old self after his achilles injury, he just never got there. I know his age was a factor but I just meant he was known to work harder than anyone and still couldn't get his game back. I figured Flanigan would have trouble getting back to his form from last year so not really surprised about his season. He still is a helluva defender though.

• Love 1

Jabari is still a top draft pick, and I think he will leave. If I were advising him, I'd tell him to go. Still, the calculus with NIL is a bit different than it has been.  Jabari isn't quite NBA ready, and another year of gaining weight and strength would do him some good. That goes double for Kessler.   If you can make some semi-big bucks and have fun and develop for another year, that is at least an option you may want to consider. If I were a coach, I could at least pitch it with a straight face this year, whereas pre-NIL I would have just had to say bye.  

People who are saying put Jaylin for Flanigan are exposing themselves. The two don’t defend the same positions for the most obvious part. You put a 6’8 power forward/big on guards for 25 minutes and see what you get

Flanigan didn’t even have the requisite opportunities for someone to consider him a negative today. Was possibly the 3rd best defender today (maybe 4th) in a game where we didn’t have a ton of those. There’s no world where this team magically improves because they give him his walking papers 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Jabari is still a top draft pick, and I think he will leave. If I were advising him, I'd tell him to go. Still, the calculus with NIL is a bit different than it has been.  Jabari isn't quite NBA ready, and another year of gaining weight and strength would do him some good. That goes double for Kessler.   If you can make some semi-big bucks and have fun and develop for another year, that is at least an option you may want to consider. If I were a coach, I could at least pitch it with a straight face this year, whereas pre-NIL I would have just had to say bye.  

What Jabari isn’t ready. There is no logical reason for Jabari to stay at Auburn. The end goal is to play in the NBA. He can focus on strength and weight gain solely in the NBA without worrying about going to class. There is absolutely no benefit for him to stay

23 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

The strength training for the worst ran NBA franchise is 50x better than the best CBB team. There’s also not a single CBB team that can offer him better resources to improve. 

I think he’ll have a ton of fun making 8M+ and Pearl’s recruiting job going forward will become a lot easier when his name is called on that stage 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The strength training for the worst ran NBA franchise is 50x better than the best CBB team. There’s also not a single CBB team that can offer him better resources to improve. 

I think he’ll have a ton of fun making 8M+ and Pearl’s recruiting job going forward will become a lot easier when his name is called on that stage 

All I can say is amen to this post since I am out of likes

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/season/2019-basketball/commits/

This class has hamstrung us the past two years. For such a huge class in numbers there were so many misses. 

Tyrell is the only real miss here, everyone else performed up to or above expectations. Okoro should’ve been a 2 year player, Jaylin is about where you’d think for that rating, Flanigan greatly exceeded that rating just off of last season, and the other guys should’ve been rotational pieces 

That was a core building class to replace the bevy of bodies that left that should’ve supported a few superstar talents and it has. You lost Cooper a year early, Powell left, Jalen Green and Scoot Henderson never came. More than anything, some of the promising superstar guys just didn’t work out for one reason or another. Still molded a team that won 25 games in 2020 and 25+ this season 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

All I can say is amen to this post since I am out of likes

I just know what’s happening in here because my gma, who I love, was going through the same thing. There’s too much Auburn football in the viewpoint of our fans, where we get one magical year every handful if we’re lucky and our margin of error is so thin. 
Jabari isn’t reduced to coming back to this sport because of one game. Kessler should still leave if he gets a late lottery/right out of lottery grade. The latter has been hurt…3 times in the last month? Get your money man 

Multiple first rounders who’ve accomplished what they have will get us their replacements 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just know what’s happening in here because my gma, who I love, was going through the same thing. There’s too much Auburn football in the viewpoint of our fans, where we get one magical year every handful if we’re lucky and our margin of error is so thin. 
Jabari isn’t reduced to coming back to this sport because of one game. Kessler should still leave if he gets a late lottery/right out of lottery grade. The latter has been hurt…3 times in the last month? Get your money man 

Multiple first rounders who’ve accomplished what they have will get us their replacements 

100% agree. Kessler should go if the opportunity is there. Most bigs in the NBA are not really physical anyways. His defensive prowess should get him a good look.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Tyrell is the only real miss here, everyone else performed up to or above expectations. Okoro should’ve been a 2 year player, Jaylin is about where you’d think for that rating, Flanigan greatly exceeded that rating just off of last season, and the other guys should’ve been rotational pieces 

That was a core building class to replace the bevy of bodies that left that should’ve supported a few superstar talents and it has. You lost Cooper a year early, Powell left, Jalen Green and Scoot Henderson never came. More than anything, some of the promising superstar guys just didn’t work out for one reason or another. Still molded a team that won 25 games in 2020 and 25+ this season 

Correct. We just needed those guys outside of Okoro to be solid rotational players supporting the stars. Imo Jaylin is the only real one that's done that consistently and when we were good ('20/22). The others have had stretches, especially Flan last year, but I would argue Flan, Cambridge, and Stretch aren't even good role players at this point. 

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

Correct. We just needed those guys outside of Okoro to be solid rotational players supporting the stars. Imo Jaylin is the only real one that's done that consistently and when we were good ('20/22). The others have had stretches, especially Flan last year, but I would argue Flan, Cambridge, and Stretch aren't even good role players at this point. 

Cambridge is good for highlight reels and not much else. Hard to access stretch and I would give Flan more time. An Achilles is a major injury and he still probably doesn’t full trust it

• Like 1