SI Five questions we have about the Tigers

aubiefifty

Five questions we have about the Auburn Tigers after spring practice

Here are five questions we still have about the Tigers after the conclusion of spring practice.

Year two of the Bryan Harsin era concluded with a relatively mum spring game. Despite Auburn fans' favorite topic of discussion being on full display throughout spring practice (the undecided quarterback battle, of course), it didn't feel like there was as much drama as there has been in past years when the primary signal-caller is unknown.

Odd, considering what happened just a couple of months ago between Harsin and the athletic department.

There were still several positive things to take away from the spring. Auburn should be improving in a lot of different areas, and with the synergy the coaching staff has built with the team, it makes sense to expect a more consistent product from the Tigers in 2022. Consistent, not perfect.

It's that time of the year where we speculate and ask questions about the upcoming season. What are some areas of concern for Auburn?

Here are five questions we have about the Tigers this offseason.

Can the run blocking improve?

Sean Jackson runs Saturday after earning a scholarship. Defending is Desmond Tisdol (30).Auburn FB scrimmage on Saturday, April 2, 2022 in Auburn, Ala.

Five questions we have about the Auburn Tigers after spring practice

Here are five questions we still have about the Tigers after the conclusion of spring practice.

Lance Dawe

18 hours ago

Year two of the Bryan Harsin era concluded with a relatively mum spring game. Despite Auburn fans' favorite topic of discussion being on full display throughout spring practice (the undecided quarterback battle, of course), it didn't feel like there was as much drama as there has been in past years when the primary signal-caller is unknown.

Odd, considering what happened just a couple of months ago between Harsin and the athletic department.

There were still several positive things to take away from the spring. Auburn should be improving in a lot of different areas, and with the synergy the coaching staff has built with the team, it makes sense to expect a more consistent product from the Tigers in 2022. Consistent, not perfect.

It's that time of the year where we speculate and ask questions about the upcoming season. What are some areas of concern for Auburn?

Here are five questions we have about the Tigers this offseason.

Can the run blocking improve?

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn has struggled to get a consistent push upfront over the past few seasons. Somewhat expected, given how the previous coaching staff recruited in the trenches.

With Tank Bigsby entering what is likely his final season on the Plains, Auburn needs to find a way to get him more touches and open more holes upfront. With the incredible amount of experience the Tigers have, they should be able to at least make marginal improvement on the ground.

Who's the quarterback going to be?

© Jake Crandall / USA TODAY NETWORK

We probably won't know this until late in fall camp. Zach Calzada, TJ Finley, and Robby Ashford all have individual traits that would garner a starting role in Harsin's offense, but there hasn't been a clear separation yet between the QBs and there won't be for some time.

All we can do is look at last year's statistics, speculate and predict.

Can Auburn's secondary tighten up?

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

The Tigers were 99th nationally in opponent completion percentage (64.2%) in 2021, a number that will need to go down if Auburn wants to stay in more games this season. Limiting completions will set up better opportunities for the pass rush on third down.

With lockdown corner Roger McCreary gone to the NFL, it will be interesting to see how Auburn's secondary adjusts.

Will there be better decision making?

© Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports

Auburn put itself in a couple of tough spots last season following questionable play calls or decisions.

Now that Harsin has a year under his belt, it would make sense to assume that he's learned how to better time things in the SEC. Whether that be a trick play, a third down call, or a call to give certain players touches.

How many wins will it take?

How many games does Bryan Harsin have to win to earn the respect of the power that be at Auburn? Is it eight? Is it simply "get to bowl eligibility?" Does it revolve around beating a rival?

The bar that needs to be cleared seems, well, unclear to those on the outside looking in.

Harsin has recently gone on record and stated that he believes his team is underrated and under-appreciated. How that translates onto the field is currently a mystery.

Auburn has struggled to get a consistent push upfront over the past few seasons. Somewhat expected, given how the previous coaching staff recruited in the trenches.

With Tank Bigsby entering what is likely his final season on the Plains, Auburn needs to find a way to get him more touches and open more holes upfront. With the incredible amount of experience the Tigers have, they should be able to at least make marginal improvement on the ground.

Who's the quarterback going to be?

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) and Auburn Tigers quarterback Zach Calzada (10) talk on the sideline during the A-Day spring practice at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, April 9, 2022.

© Jake Crandall / USA TODAY NETWORK

We probably won't know this until late in fall camp. Zach Calzada, TJ Finley, and Robby Ashford all have individual traits that would garner a starting role in Harsin's offense, but there hasn't been a clear separation yet between the QBs and there won't be for some time.

All we can do is look at last year's statistics, speculate and predict.

Can Auburn's secondary tighten up?

Nov 27, 2021; Auburn, Alabama, USA; Auburn Tigers cornerback Roger McCreary (23) breaks up a pass intended for Alabama Crimson Tide wide receiver Traeshon Holden (11) during the third quarter at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

The Tigers were 99th nationally in opponent completion percentage (64.2%) in 2021, a number that will need to go down if Auburn wants to stay in more games this season. Limiting completions will set up better opportunities for the pass rush on third down.

With lockdown corner Roger McCreary gone to the NFL, it will be interesting to see how Auburn's secondary adjusts.

Will there be better decision making?

Dec 28, 2021; Birmingham, Alabama, USA; Auburn Tigers head coach Bryan Harsin during the first half of the 2021 Birmingham Bowl against Houston at Protective Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports

© Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports

Auburn put itself in a couple of tough spots last season following questionable play calls or decisions.

Now that Harsin has a year under his belt, it would make sense to assume that he's learned how to better time things in the SEC. Whether that be a trick play, a third down call, or a call to give certain players touches.

How many wins will it take?

Coach Bryan Harsin talks to his team after practice in Jordan Hare Stadium.Auburn AU scrimmage on Friday, March 25, 2022 in Auburn, Ala.

How many games does Bryan Harsin have to win to earn the respect of the power that be at Auburn? Is it eight? Is it simply "get to bowl eligibility?" Does it revolve around beating a rival?

The bar that needs to be cleared seems, well, unclear to those on the outside looking in.

Harsin has recently gone on record and stated that he believes his team is underrated and under-appreciated. How that translates onto the field is currently a mystery.

Boy this was a nothing article. After reading it I didn't learn anything and writer was afraid to actually analyze team and answer some of his own questions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Boy this was a nothing article. After reading it I didn't learn anything and writer was afraid to actually analyze team and answer some of his own questions.

No offense to @aubiefiftybut all of these articles are trash.  There is nearly nothing informative in them.  I'm shocked ppl get paid to write these articles.  Nearly every post recruit visit and article in season are the same.

The only good articles are ones people breaking down plays and decisions and advanced stats, IMO

Edited by W.E.D

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No offense to @aubiefiftybut all of these articles are trash.  There is nearly nothing informative in them.  I'm shocked ppl get paid to write these articles.  Nearly every post recruit visit and article in season are the same.

The only good articles are ones people breaking down plays and decisions and advanced stats, IMO

Everyone doesn't get on a message board to find out up-to-the-minute minutia regarding the team virtually year round. At this time of year most non-Auburn people (and some Auburn people who just don't pay attention to sports) are going to actually find substance from this, because they haven't thought about anything approaching it in four months. 

You can't expect every article, or even most articles, to be worthy of a Pulitzer just because it's new and about your team. I, for one, am appreciative of @aubiefifty for doing the legwork to bring these articles in so we can read them while staying on the board, even if it's purely to stay up to date with what kind of BS they're writing about us each day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Everyone doesn't get on a message board to find out up-to-the-minute minutia regarding the team virtually year round. At this time of year most non-Auburn people (and some Auburn people who just don't pay attention to sports) are going to actually find substance from this, because they haven't thought about anything approaching it in four months. 

You can't expect every article, or even most articles, to be worthy of a Pulitzer just because it's new and about your team. I, for one, am appreciative of @aubiefifty for doing the legwork to bring these articles in so we can read them while staying on the board, even if it's purely to stay up to date with what kind of BS they're writing about us each day.

thank you red. i try hard to help the board and i certainly do not get paid. in fact i have been giving 15 bucks a month to help out as well. i do not understand why some people get upset about it. i think maybe me and wed have tangled and probably does not care for me much thus he cannot give me credit for helping the whole board. i will continue to try and help until a mod or admin asks me to stop. and yes wed the articles are scare and not much but the longer folks are on here and the more they come the bigger the chance of advertisers paying to advertise on here. and again i am not trying to annoy anyone i am trying to help everyone. and you guys know from my typing i am not a putre guy and i have actually had to go and copy and paste several paragraphs one at a time because it would not copy all of it. but i still do it because i love this site and i enjoy most of the people on here. i cannot stop wed because people have actually messaged me and told me thanx and to keep it up. it saved them time at work because they did not have to surf a dozen sites. see? tell me you love wed i make a great friend in the real world.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Most articles from various "papers" and recruiting sites don't even provide much info at all.  Again, the comment wasn't direct towards him posting a dozen articles, it was more about the content of the articles 

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

thank you red. i try hard to help the board and i certainly do not get paid. in fact i have been giving 15 bucks a month to help out as well. i do not understand why some people get upset about it. i think maybe me and wed have tangled and probably does not care for me much thus he cannot give me credit for helping the whole board. i will continue to try and help until a mod or admin asks me to stop. and yes wed the articles are scare and not much but the longer folks are on here and the more they come the bigger the chance of advertisers paying to advertise on here. and again i am not trying to annoy anyone i am trying to help everyone. and you guys know from my typing i am not a putre guy and i have actually had to go and copy and paste several paragraphs one at a time because it would not copy all of it. but i still do it because i love this site and i enjoy most of the people on here. i cannot stop wed because people have actually messaged me and told me thanx and to keep it up. it saved them time at work because they did not have to surf a dozen sites. see? tell me you love wed i make a great friend in the real world.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No offense to @aubiefiftybut all of these articles are trash.

My guy, no need to get upset.  No one is saying you can't post a dozen articles a day.  You can do as you wish.  I was commenting on the articles and replying to someone else discussing the articles.  I was lamenting on the lack of decent articles written and what is passed off as "news" from sub sites and a few of these other fan blogs.

No one is attacking you.

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

My guy, no need to get upset.  No one is saying you can't post a dozen articles a day.  You can do as you wish.  I was commenting on the articles and replying to someone else discussing the articles.  I was lamenting on the lack of decent articles written and what is passed off as "news" from sub sites and a few of these other fan blogs.

No one is attacking you.

i am not upset at all. in fact most folks would tell you i am quite calm, why do you think i am upset? i was just stating facts and nothing more.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not upset at all. in fact most folks would tell you i am quite calm, why do you think i am upset? i was just stating facts and nothing more.

That's a lot of words for someone who is calm and doesn't care.  Carry on with your article posting and I'll carry on commenting on the article or replying to someone ITT.

I don't even know where your presumed grudge game from, but enjoy it.

39 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think maybe me and wed have tangled and probably does not care for me much thus he cannot give me credit for helping the whole board

30 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Most articles from various "papers" and recruiting sites don't even provide much info at all.  Again, the comment wasn't direct towards him posting a dozen articles, it was more about the content of the articles 

No good can come from this.....just walk away

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's a lot of words for someone who is calm and doesn't care.  Carry on with your article posting and I'll carry on commenting on the article or replying to someone ITT.

I don't even know where your presumed grudge game from, but enjoy it.

i love to talk wed. nothing more.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know he likes to say ppl call him names and I have no clue about ever "getting into it" with him.  Maybe it was more memorable for him.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

normally you would be right but not this time............

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Those articles aren’t really meant for people who post frequent on here. Posters on here have read every article about the team so none of the information is new to them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You're complaining about free articles being posted for anyone to read without having to click a link. Just because you already know the information doesn't mean it's pointless to post the articles.

Do me a favor: Go back and read your initial comment. How is fifty supposed to take you talking about the articles being trash, except that you don't want him posting them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rednilla said:

You're complaining about free articles being posted

No I'm not.  Try to read better

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No I'm not.  Try to read better

What would you call this if not complaining about the quality of the articles? Again, what is fifty supposed to think except that you think it's stupid that he posts the articles that you're shocked anyone gets paid to write?

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

What would you call this if not complaining about the quality of the articles?

You're complaining about free articles being posted for anyone to read without having to click a link.

These are two different things.

Yes.  I said the article was bad in response to someone saying the same thing.
No I never complained about Fifty posting dozens of bad articles.

Again, what is fifty supposed to think except that you think it's stupid that he posts the articles that you're shocked anyone gets paid to write?

I mean, he could just read what I wrote and literally said "no offense to him".  I was talking about the articles.  If he wrote them, then yes I would be insulting him.  I apologize if @aubiefiftyis the author 

If Auburn can’t do better for Tank this season then forget about.  Auburn will have wasted potentially one of the better RBs they’ve ever had.  I don’t care if they go 3 TE heavy sets all season as long as Tank has holes to run through.

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He literally said no offense to 50.....

I made it pretty clear I wasn't talking about him.  IDK

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

These are two different things.

Yes.  I said the article was bad in response to someone saying the same thing.
No I never complained about Fifty posting dozens of bad articles.

I mean, he could just read what I wrote and literally said "no offense to him".  I was talking about the articles.  If he wrote them, then yes I would be insulting him.  I apologize if @aubiefiftyis the author 

dude for the record i never said or complained to anyone. red decided to address this on his on. tell you what and how easy this is instead of hijacking a thread. if you see an article posted by me just ignore it and you will not have any more problems with it. it is just that simple.

47 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

dude for the record i never said or complained to anyone. red decided to address this on his on.

Yeah man, that's why I am responding to him and not you 🤷‍♂️

48 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

tell you what and how easy this is instead of hijacking a thread. if you see an article posted by me just ignore it and you will not have any more problems with it. it is just that simple.

I mean, it's somewhat hilarious that that I was the 2nd person to make this comment, discussing it with someone else, and you're trying to be the thread police acting like I'm the one dragging it out 🚨

I'm not the one here misstating my comments.

31 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah man, that's why I am responding to him and not you 🤷‍♂️

I mean, it's somewhat hilarious that that I was the 2nd person to make this comment, discussing it with someone else, and you're trying to be the thread police acting like I'm the one dragging it out 🚨

I'm not the one here misstating my comments.

the point is at the end of the day you said something and a mod called you on it and i thought he was very nice.

28 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the point is at the end of the day you said something and a mod called you on it and i thought he was very nice.

lol ok.  I'm glad the mod didn't read well and mischaracterized what I said to make you feel better

Edited by W.E.D