Jake Crain bringing the heat

RunInRed

14 minutes ago, cbo said:

Harsin was given a softball question: "What are some things this team has done well in 3 games and how can you build on that?"

He began his response with this: "Yeah, well, there's a lot of things that we've done well that I've seen. Again, you guys get to see a very small portion of what we do. You get to see the game."

It's almost sad and almost funny, if it weren't so frustrating. In fairness, what else could he say? We are a mess in all 3 phases of the game. 

lol yeah. Harsin reminds me of the driver from Talladega Nights who got out during the pit stop and instead of getting back into the car was just sitting down eating a chicken sandwich at the concessions. 

Dude can't coach and knows he's in over his head. Getting paid regardless. Just would have liked if they pulled the trigger after the debacle last season. All the signs were there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, e808 said:

The sad part if someone on the coaching staff was paying attention it’s probably 14-9 at the half. 

What's even more sad I know like 99% of us in the game thread realized the game clock had run out. Can't even believe not a single person on staff thought to challenge that play.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, clwn said:

lol yeah. Harsin reminds me of the driver from Talladega Nights who got out during the pit stop and instead of getting back into the car was just sitting down eating a chicken sandwich at the concessions. 

Actually laughed out loud. 

4 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

What's even more sad I know like 99% of us in the game thread realized the game clock had run out. Can't even believe not a single person on staff thought to challenge that play.

Exactly. And what really got me is they had all the time in between quarters to talk/think about it. Not like they were in a rush.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

Exactly. And what really got me is they had all the time in between quarters to talk/think about it. Not like they were in a rush.

Then there’s the blatant holding on Auburn defensive guys. You think the coach would let the refs have it. Unless I missed it. Oh well guess we gotta move toward Mizzou

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

Then there’s the blatant holding on Auburn defensive guys. You think the coach would let the refs have it. Unless I missed it. Oh well guess we gotta move toward Mizzou

I'm sure you're right, but I have finally accepted missed holding calls as part of the game. 

Have to reserve my disgust for other things. 

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Appreciate it. No spiking the ball here. I was consistent going back to last year that I wanted to be wrong. Honestly, this was a trifecta of bad hires and we just have to move on. 

my wishes for the fan base are:

A) understand that the bot, the boosters, etc are not out to ruin football. They want to win. They didn’t set out to ruin the guy’s reputation this summer…it was from a genuine disturbance and documented grievance within the program. 

B)understand that the media is gonna say whatever they want. Last week it was how bad we were to let go of the AD. This summer it was how dare we don’t give this guy a chance. We can sit and debate who we can get and who’s available, (that’s gaslighting at its finest btw) but no Auburn person could see that on Saturday and think we are more hopeful going forward. Bruce Pearl is the epitome of what we want and deserve in our football program, and we should go after that—even if we fail— wholeheartedly. 

war Eagle always! 

Thanks PTB. Always appreciate your input. What do you make of where the program has potential to move forward from current status and what coach/coaches do you think we target realistically? Who’s your pick?  Thanks in advance. 

6 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Thanks PTB. Always appreciate your input. What do you make of where the program has potential to move forward from current status and what coach/coaches do you think we target realistically? Who’s your pick?  Thanks in advance. 

I think there’s a lot of possibilities right now. We can go Grimes…reach for a Kiffin or Sanders…or look at guys like Bill O Brien (don’t laugh). I do not agree with this “nobody will come to Auburn right now” mentality. Throw $5M at somebody and see if they’re still interested.  I will tell you that there’s no name that’s set aside in the circle that I talk to (like Cristobal or Venebles during the last search or Kirby before that.) I realistically expect that the new prez will need to guide the show and that may include getting an AD in place and letting the season play out before we can make a legitimate move. Next two games will tell the story of how much time we have imo. 

Edited by passthebiscuits
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I think there’s a lot of possibilities right now. We can go Grimes…reach for a Kiffin or Sanders…or look at guys like Bill O Brien (don’t laugh). I do not agree with this “nobody will come to Auburn right now” mentality. Throw $5M at somebody and see if they’re still interested.  I will tell you that there’s no name that’s set aside in the circle that I talk to (like Cristobal or Venebles during the last search or Kirby before that.) I realistically expect that the new prez will need to guide the show and that may include getting an AD in place and letting the season play out before we can make a legitimate move. Next two games will tell the story of how much time we have imo. 

Do u think Mcglynn will be named permanent AD? 

19 hours ago, Viper said:

Why wasn’t he bringing the heat last November when it was crystal clear when the coaching was equally as pathetic as this season AND recruiting was just as pathetic?

Crain, like most fans, is way too late to the party. Expected it from fans, but not from a well-connected AU analyst.

That’s what I’m screaming!

19 hours ago, cbo said:

This is how I remember it, timing wise. Some hated Harsin from the start, some defended him until Saturday. 

But many of us got excited about Harsin in the beginning, then when he lost the last 5 games, wasn't recruiting well, hired an OC that lasted 10 days, and Mason left, it felt like a program in chaos. It wasn't any one thing, it was the combination. And that was before all the rumors and investigation. 

Exactly! Most of which (program in chaos) had nothing to do with inheriting a bad offensive line.

8 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Bill O Brien is not a good candidate IMO. Two of the others are wild cards as they have no power 5 experience. Do not get caught up in solely recruiting. 

Bruce Pearl was a high risk/high reward hire. We lucked out during that period of time, took a chance and hired. I know most AU fans like to make up things as they go but the truth of the matter is many big conference schools did not want to poach him.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Oh, you're one of those guys. Thanks for the heads up 

You're right, he ran a clean program and was an excellent ambassador for Auburn.  He, however, was an average head coach.  

As far as recruiting goes, he was and he wasn't.  Go back and see how many of his classes were all smoke and mirrors.  Sure, they were highly ranked, but they rarely filled the need of the roster.  That's not a good because it hurts more than it helps by unbalancing your roster and having to play catch-up at certain positions.

SEC Championship after the Chiz nightmare season, Coach of the year awards, played for a Natty and lost, beat the turds when they were #1, beat thuga when they were #1 the same season, 2 time SEC West Champion, beat Saban 3 times in 8 years, beat Saban with a CFL DB playing QB (Marshall), beat Saban with a 5th round pick QB that still isn’t starting in the NFL, (Stitt) beat Saban with a teenage freshmen now playing at Oregon.

His bowl record should’ve been better, but in the music city bowl in Nashville against Purdue, the same season Purdue beat Ohio State, he said a bowl game record for points scored!

In his 8 years at AU Gus was the second best coach in the SEC West, and third or fourth best coach in the SEC. Recruiting classes consistently in the Top 10 to Top 15. I could go on but obviously that’s well above average.  Not Saban, Dabo or Smart but well above average. If AU wanted rid of Gus to get another National Championship coach, obviously Harsin wasn’t it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

SEC Championship after the Chiz nightmare season, Coach of the year awards, played for a Natty and lost, beat the turds when they were #1, beat thuga when they were #1 the same season, 2 time SEC West Champion, beat Saban 3 times in 8 years, beat Saban with a CFL DB playing QB (Marshall), beat Saban with a 5th round pick QB that still isn’t starting in the NFL, (Stitt) beat Saban with a teenage freshmen now playing at Oregon.

His bowl record should’ve been better, but in the music city bowl in Nashville against Purdue, the same season Purdue beat Ohio State, he said a bowl game record for points scored!

In his 8 years at AU Gus was the second best coach in the SEC West, and third or fourth best coach in the SEC. Recruiting classes consistently in the Top 10 to Top 15. I could go on but obviously that’s well above average.  Not Saban, Dabo or Smart but well above average. If AU wanted rid of Gus to get another National Championship coach, obviously Harsin wasn’t it.

Really we are doing this again? We have dismantled time and time again why Gus wasn't it I don't think we need to go there again. 😒🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

15 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

If you say yourself he was an average head coach, how do you call him an abject failure?

He just hates him personally. Gus was probably the third best coach in the toughest conference in college football. Certainly not an abject failure. Up until about…. about…. Well about today he was still in love with Harsin and it was all Gus’ fault.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cbo said:

This dude is lost. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/bryan-harsin-done-some-really-good-things-in-practice-auburn-football

Bryan Harsin on what Auburn is doing well this season... “All the prep and all the things that we've been doing, I think there's some really good things that we've done.

Read this earlier on Rivals, what a freaking joke!

It's past time to move on from Gus. He accomplished a lot, and I'll always appreciate it, but it was probably time for him to go.  It just wasn't time for Harsin to arrive. 1 bad hire down, let's get the next one right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’ll give him this. The guy has some massive nuts. You field that sh*t show last Saturday and then have the nerve to get smart with a reporter that asks you a completely relevant question?! Take your 40 lashes and get back to work! You deserve em.

E8CCDEA9-14C6-4F3E-8797-F37DA4BA2824.jpeg

If true then Cal must be really bad. Then again Tank only had 11 touches, so maybe it’s just the coaching, that’s really bad.

18 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

He just hates him personally. Gus was probably the third best coach in the toughest conference in college football. Certainly not an abject failure. Up until about…. about…. Well about today he was still in love with Harsin and it was all Gus’ fault.

So you downvoted me but didn't have anything to add 😒 yeah that's the way to do it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

18 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Yep, sad and petty.

13 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

“Bryan Harsin gets his a$$ kicked every halftime”. Helluva quote there from Jake. Brutally spot on. 

I think that is the fault of Gus too.

• Haha 1