Were we better off Losing today?

AubFanCT

14 hours ago, AubFanCT said:

It's an honest question. Harsin is obviously a lame duck coach. He's going to get fired, it's just  matter of when. Isn't it better to cut the cord as soon as possible and stop delaying the inevitable so we can move on? The question over Hasin's future is hurting our recruiting.  Other Coaches are using it against us. Once he's fired, recruits are gonna leave which always happens.  If we lost today, I think he would have been fired by midnight tonight. There is very little positive on the horizon.  An OLine dominated by a bottom tier SEC defense and a game we had no business winning are not positive signs. Would not have been a bad thing in my opinion if we lost today so we can move on sooner than later and try and right the ship of this program. 

I don't think so. "Fire Harsin Today" sounds good. What then? His coordinators are worse than he is, they would both go too. Who takes over? What happens between now and the season's end when some qualified coaches might become available? It a mess, but with this season shot already and the recruiting in the tank I think we need to keep the guy on until this current blood-bath of a season gets over.

If there's an interim coach available who is sitting at home twiddling his thumbs I don't know who he is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't think so. "Fire Harsin Today" sounds good. What then? His coordinators are worse than he is, they would both go too. Who takes over? What happens between now and the season's end when some qualified coaches might become available? It a mess, but with this season shot already and the recruiting in the tank I think we need to keep the guy on until this current blood-bath of a season gets over.

If there's an interim coach available who is sitting at home twiddling his thumbs I don't know who he is.

I think you are exactly right.  It’s easy to say “get rid of him today” but then what are you gonna do?  Regardless of how bad it looks he needs to finish out the season.  What happens when the HC is released in the middle of the season is you fall back to one of the assistants.  It would only be worse.  We owe it to the players who stuck around and believed in Harsin to let him finish.  

• Like 1

As an Auburn alum and an ex athlete, I cannot even get past the first sentence of this topic.  I am assuming we're is were but please don't loop me in the we.  Was yesterday pretty?  Nope, but if you have been here as a fan for a hot minute this is not the first bad win in our history, there have been  plenty.  It is okay to wish for better for our boys, wish that they played better, wish we had better play calling or better schemes.   We do not have the personnel to compete for championships right now in any capacity.  There is also absolutely no way anyone (coach-savior) is coming mid-season to right the ship.  I laugh at the millions several people on the board can  wish away with no problem.  We may or may not win any more games but the vitriol and toxicity of the fans is not helping either.  I hope AU does the right thing and hire a great AD, let the season play out because no change is going to help this season and then go out and find a coach that can unite everyone at Auburn from the boosters on down to the rabid fans.  I personally don't have a lot of faith in how many more games we might win but I do have faith that the players are doing their best.  Sometimes and against some of the people we will be playing it just won't be enough.  But I will still be pulling for them, not the coaches,  but the players who should always have the fans in their corner!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

I think you are exactly right.  It’s easy to say “get rid of him today” but then what are you gonna do?  Regardless of how bad it looks he needs to finish out the season.  What happens when the HC is released in the middle of the season is you fall back to one of the assistants.  It would only be worse.  We owe it to the players who stuck around and believed in Harsin to let him finish.  

The only reason I would support cutting ties right now is recruiting, but that also would only come into play if we had a qualified replacement we could quickly hire and that's never been our history. 

The unfortunate part is Harsin's complete failure in recruiting and managing the portal could take multiple years to repair, even with great recruiting. I'd love it if we could salvage something of the 23 class since it's such a strong in state year, but I guess that's just shot now regardless... so make Harsin ride this out. I just hate he's going to get a fat paycheck for it. 

No. We are not better off losing today, because an early firing would open up and expose all of the lack of preparation and planning.

This freak win was a blessing. We need time. We are better off with time.

We need time to figure out who are the best options at Interim Head Coach.

We need time to figure out a plan that give the IHC the most chance of success, or more realistically, the least chance for failure.

We need time to line up the PTB to find the right next head coach of Auburn University' s football team.

That said, here is my plan:

1. Fire Harsin

2. Appoint Roc Bellantoni as Interim Head Coach.

3. Fire OC Eric Kiesau. Appoint Offensive Analyst Mike Hartline as Interim Offensive Coordinator and Interim Quarterback Coach.

4. Fire DC Jeff Schmedding. Appoint Defensive Backs CoachZac Etheridge as Interim Defensive Coordinator and continuing Defensive Backs Coach.

Ideally, the above should happen in short order.

Possible additional actions:

5. Fire OL Coach Will Friend. Appoint Offensive Analyst Kendall Simmons Interim Offensive Line Coach.

Get through the season. Guarantee Bellantoni, Etheridge, Hartline, and Simmons, remain on staff either in an on the field coach or an off the field position for the next five years, if they want to.

Edited by meh130
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Scott frost is probably available.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Clearly it’s Sir Charles and Bo, as co-interim head coaches 

5 hours ago, meh130 said:

No. We are not better off losing today, because an early firing would open up and expose all of the lack of preparation and planning.

This freak win was a blessing. We need time. We are better off with time.

We need time to figure out who are the best options at Interim Head Coach.

We need time to figure out a plan that give the IHC the most chance of success, or more realistically, the least chance for failure.

We need time to line up the PTB to find the right next head coach of Auburn University' s football team.

That said, here is my plan:

1. Fire Harsin

2. Appoint Roc Bellantoni as Interim Head Coach.

3. Fire OC Eric Kiesau. Appoint Offensive Analyst Mike Hartline as Interim Offensive Coordinator and Interim Quarterback Coach.

4. Fire DC Jeff Schmedding. Appoint Defensive Backs CoachZac Etheridge as Interim Defensive Coordinator and continuing Defensive Backs Coach.

Ideally, the above should happen in short order.

Possible additional actions:

5. Fire OL Coach Will Friend. Appoint Offensive Analyst Kendall Simmons Interim Offensive Line Coach.

Get through the season. Guarantee Bellantoni, Etheridge, Hartline, and Simmons, remain on staff either in an on the field coach or an off the field position for the next five years, if they want to.

Some of this is doable, some isn’t. 

6 hours ago, meh130 said:

Guarantee Bellantoni, Etheridge, Hartline, and Simmons, remain on staff either in an on the field coach or an off the field position for the next five years, if they want to.

This cannot be done. The new head coach will want to clean house. Nobody worth having will take the job if they are going to be dictated to concerning who their assistants will be.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

This cannot be done. The new head coach will want to clean house. Nobody worth having will take the job if they are going to be dictated to concerning who their assistants will be.

Agree with Mikey on this one

Prudent to be ready as possible if we have a 2012 repeat (I actually thought 2 yrs removed from a natl title, we owed Chizik 1 more season) but suggesting a loss is EVER better than a win is just nuts. Right up there w/ some of the new coach suggestions (Freeze?)

I hope CBH finishes out the season. It's a little embarrassing to say, but I'm not sure we have anyone right now that could coach this team without disorganization and chaos. No one really knows Auburn, except maybe a couple who have no head coaching or coordinating experience. I don't think it's fair to this team, the staff, or the Auburn family . If it is certain that Coach Harsin will be terminated, things can and probably will be conducted behind the scenes.

• WarTiger changed the title to Were we better off Losing today?
On 9/24/2022 at 7:36 PM, AubFanCT said:

It's an honest question. Harsin is obviously a lame duck coach. He's going to get fired, it's just  matter of when. Isn't it better to cut the cord as soon as possible and stop delaying the inevitable so we can move on? The question over Hasin's future is hurting our recruiting.  Other Coaches are using it against us. Once he's fired, recruits are gonna leave which always happens.  If we lost today, I think he would have been fired by midnight tonight. There is very little positive on the horizon.  An OLine dominated by a bottom tier SEC defense and a game we had no business winning are not positive signs. Would not have been a bad thing in my opinion if we lost today so we can move on sooner than later and try and right the ship of this program. 

Better off losing? Losing = loser.

Be still my palpating heart.