City to announce guaranteed income to squeegee kids if they stay off corners

Auburn85

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Furthermore, starving people, refusing to provide them with adequate education, healthcare and, guarantying failure is just fine.

Are you saying Baltimore doesn’t have public schools that adequately educate these people?  Or is it that education is provided, but the culture in Baltimore is not to take advantage of the education provided.  There was a news article, not too long ago, where an 18 yo was not going to graduate because he had only attended one or two classes over a couple of years and his mother was upset that she didn’t know.

The problem goes deeper than just not adequate education.  There is a culture there that has spawned this issue and need to be addressed.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Are you saying Baltimore doesn’t have public schools that adequately educate these people?  Or is it that education is provided, but the culture in Baltimore is not to take advantage of the education provided.  There was a news article, not too long ago, where an 18 yo was not going to graduate because he had only attended one or two classes over a couple of years and his mother was upset that she didn’t know.

The problem goes deeper than just not adequate education.  There is a culture there that has spawned this issue and need to be addressed.

If you ever take the time to watch the Wire, season 4 will adequately explain to you why Baltimore Schools are such s***. 

I'm serious. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

If you ever take the time to watch the Wire, season 4 will adequately explain to you why Baltimore Schools are such s***. 

I'm serious. 

Well, now I've got to watch it.  It better be good or,,,,

4 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Criminal Minds! That was it. Pure cringe. 

I used to watch that and it did go off the rails a while back.  The story line went off the deep end.  Unwatchable.

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

Hey @ShocksMyBrainget in here and preach the gospel of the Wire. 

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I used to watch that and it did go off the rails a while back.  The story line went off the deep end.  Unwatchable.

That's most network TV. Juvenile. 

• Like 1

Just now, icanthearyou said:

Probably explains why I mostly watch reruns of Andy, Gilligan and, Scooby "Doobie" Doo.

Not juvenile enough.

The writing is all cheap payoff. Look at what they've done to Star Trek. 

4 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Yes, "creativity" seems to have a formula.

Aaaaaand you hit the nail on the head. 

34 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You’re doing yourself a great disservice by not watching it. It’s a little dense, but I’ve watched it multiple times through. It still holds up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/arrest-of-squeegee-kid-reveals-history-of-run-ins-with-drivers-and-police-records-show

Arrest of squeegee kid reveals history of run-ins with drivers and police, records show

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-squeegee-plan-takes-effect-tuesday/42409865

Baltimore squeegee plan takes effect Tuesday, collaborative members anticipate immediate results

January 5, 2023

David Collins

The mayor's initiative to get squeegee workers off Baltimore streets begins Tuesday morning with a comprehensive plan that provides job training and wraparound support services.

Officials billed the plan as a work in progress, but members of the Mayor's Squeegee Collaborative said they anticipate immediate results.

"Our approach brings together not just enforcement, it brings together the services and much-needed support that we know is needed to move the needle on some of these issues in our community," said Faith Leach, Baltimore's deputy mayor of equity, health and human services.

The comprehensive initiative is intended to help to provide employment opportunities and offer support services to tackle the root causes of the need to clean windshields for cash.

Squeegeeing will no longer be allowed at six of the city's busy intersections, which include:

• Wabash Avenue and Northern Parkway
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Interstate 395
  • Conway and Light streets
  • Conway Street at Interstate 395
  • President and Jones Falls Expressway
  • Mount Royal Avenue and North Avenue/ Jones Falls Expressway
  • Sinclair Lane and Moravia Road

Drivers should expect to immediately notice the absence of squeegee workers. Those who ignore the new policy will get a warning. Repeat offenders will get a warning and a visit by an outreach worker to connect the individual to support services. If squeegee workers are on the corner a third time, police will issue a citation.

"It has the balance of service and enforcement. We know it is going to work," said Shelonda Stokes, president of the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore. "What we are doing here is creating pathways to help get squeegee workers where they are today to a better place to enjoy some of the comforts like everybody else."

Victoria Thompson, an 18-year-old former squeegee worker, started working at intersections when she was 12, claiming to make between $200 and $500 a day.

"Some days were cool. Some days was rough," Thompson said.

Thompson said participating in the Mayor's Squeegee Collaborative to craft the new policy changed her life.

"They showed me that there is more to life, you feel me? I can do anything than being on the corner every day clearing somebody's window for a dollar," she said.

Thompson said she wants to start her own car-detailing business, and she will receive some financial help from the mayor's new plan.

"There's been a lot of talk about paying squeegee workers, and that's not the case," Leach said. "What we are doing is we are paying young people, paying squeegee workers to participate in workforce development."

The Mayor's Squeegee Collaborative plans to host what they call a playbook kickoff event. The event on Friday will be open from 3-7 p.m. at the UA House at Fayette (1100 E. Fayette St.) to those 14 to 24, and it will feature a career zone, offering job interviews. Participants will get information about education and mental health, as well as free grooming.

On 11/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Is this a Democrat run city?  Is this how they keep their crime numbers down?

Of course! Baltimore is one of the “ arm pits” of America. One of the very few big cities where I felt unsafe even in a group.

• Like 1