Freeze vs. Kiffin

LPTiger

16 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

19 vs 48.   Just asking for a friend, isn't being ranked 19th a little better than being ranked 48th.  Seriously, I'm no mathematician mind you but I think there are 29 spots between 19th and 48th.   And DHF (and staff) had what 17-20 days to pull it all together whereas Lane had all year.   Plus, we saved about $3MM a year.    Just asking for a friend.

In fairness, Kiffin doesn't put much into high school/JUCO recruiting. He makes his splash in the portal. For example, last year he was last in the SEC in regular recruiting but 2nd nationally behind Southern Cal in the portal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In fairness, Kiffin doesn't put much into high school/JUCO recruiting. He makes his splash in the portal. For example, last year he was last in the SEC in regular recruiting but 2nd nationally behind Southern Cal in the portal.

This would be sound logic if he didn't fall from 20th to 50th over the last few days

Edited by W.E.D

Just now, W.E.D said:

This would be sound logic if he didn't fall from 20th to 50th today

Which has zero to do with his impending success or failure in the portal.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No but it shows he does try to out significant effort into HS recruiting 

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's just plain lazy.  Recruiting well in high school doesn't prevent you from doing well in the portal. It's not either/or.  It's more work to recruit high school and build those relationships. Portal is slam bam thank you m'aam by comparison.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

19 vs 48.   Just asking for a friend, isn't being ranked 19th a little better than being ranked 48th.  Seriously, I'm no mathematician mind you but I think there are 29 spots between 19th and 48th.   And DHF (and staff) had what 17-20 days to pull it all together whereas Lane had all year.   Plus, we saved about $3MM a year.    Just asking for a friend.

Tell your friend that is correct! And he makes some great points. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

omg the tinkling and moaning would be world class if we fell that far and folks know it whether they admit it or not. fans would be on lane like a rat on a cheeto and some of us would have to double our depression meds. am i right mikey? lol

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Which gets back to there are those within the A.D. that swear we backed off of Kiffin from the get-go and it was Kiffin interested in us, not the other way around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Freeze vs. Kiffin
35 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

omg the tinkling and moaning would be world class if we fell that far and folks know it whether they admit it or not. fans would be on lane like a rat on a cheeto and some of us would have to double our depression meds. am i right mikey? lol

Yea Mikey, would you have double your depression meds?

21 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

UM that was tongue in cheek hank. and i assume you mean doubled? and am i safe to assume you are taking a shot at mikey?

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

UM that was tongue in cheek hank. and i assume you mean doubled? and am i safe to assume you are taking a shot at mikey?

No you are not. I was teasing Mikey. Not taken shots at anybody.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

No you are not. I was teasing Mikey. Not taken shots at anybody.

ok thank you.

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I would have started depression meds had we hired Kiffin and tripled whatever the normal dose is had we hired Sanders.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I have a feeling that Kiffin relying on the transfer portal is going to bite him in the butt down the road. He got 12 HS commits today. I haven't looked to see where his portal numbers are. 

The reason I even paid any attention to Kiffin and his recruiting is because I was reading the Ole Miss message boards when we thought we were getting him as our HC. Quiet a few of their fans are worried because they say he isn't building a foundation at Ole Miss through his HS recruiting. He essentially is going the "1 and done" route like blue blood basketball programs have done. The Ole Miss fans said their teams don't have chemistry from year to year. 

Like someone said earlier in this thread, it seems that Kiffin loves the portal because you don't have to build a great relationship and recruit them for 2 years or more like you do with HS kids. 

The portal is like a vending machine for Lane. On Dec. 5th he walks to the machine and begins selecting what items he wants. (There's more to it than that but you see my point) 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I have a feeling that Kiffin relying on the transfer portal is going to bite him in the butt down the road. He got 12 HS commits today. I haven't looked to see where his portal numbers are. 

The reason I even paid any attention to Kiffin and his recruiting is because I was reading the Ole Miss message boards when we thought we were getting him as our HC. Quiet a few of their fans are worried because they say he isn't building a foundation at Ole Miss through his HS recruiting. He essentially is going the "1 and done" route like blue blood basketball programs have done. The Ole Miss fans said their teams don't have chemistry from year to year.  Freeze also just offered him last week 👀

Like someone said earlier in this thread, it seems that Kiffin loves the portal because you don't have to build a great relationship and recruit them for 2 years or more like you do with HS kids. 

The portal is like a vending machine for Lane. On Dec. 5th he walks to the machine and begins selecting what items he wants. (There's more to it than that but you see my point) 

We can call Kiffin the “portal king” but I think that one reason he (and OM fans in general) build the narrative towards this is Kiffin has a hard time getting the HS recruits due to his reputation and this past fall did not help that case at all. 

The dad of the QB Reed that flipped to TAMU flat out said one of the main reasons he flipped was Lane’s flirtations with Auburn.  That has also hurt them with the 2024 QB Walker White….I’ve seen where OM fans have said his family has really soured on Kiffin after that. 

It doesn’t have the affect as much on a kid who is a one and done, etc but still think these HS kids want some stability. 

There is also no way to spin having three of your better recruits flip in the 24 hour period surrounding early signing day.  

People can say whatever to make this look like Lane has it all under control and this was purposeful but if Freeze’s class was ranked down by Vandy at almost 50…..good Lord this place would be a mess right now 😂

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I think the biggest Freeze vs. Kiffin difference is their personalities. Freeze's normal and outward personality is more to my liking than Kiffin's somewhat introverted personality. I believe CHF's personality will recruit well for HS, JUCO and portal players. What remains to be seen and it may take a few recruiting cycles, is can Freeze (really all college coaches) manage the roster in this new age of free agent college football.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I literally just saw you use this same argument AGAINST Coach Prime in the thread with the JUCO OT we lost out on against Colorado. So you can defend Kiffin but use that against Prime? Wild.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

The reason I even paid any attention to Kiffin and his recruiting is because I was reading the Ole Miss message boards when we thought we were getting him as our HC. Quiet a few of their fans are worried because they say he isn't building a foundation at Ole Miss through his HS recruiting. He essentially is going the "1 and done" route like blue blood basketball programs have done. The Ole Miss fans said their teams don't have chemistry from year to year. 

Good post

14 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Which gets back to there are those within the A.D. that swear we backed off of Kiffin from the get-go and it was Kiffin interested in us, not the other way around.

Makes you wonder if LK's lack of success has anything to do with him thinking he was our next HC.

Kiffin has so many openings last year it made it easy to sell PT in the Portal.  Freeze had a very good HS class yesterday but we can still sell PT to Portal players. Harsin didn't fight with Kiffin tooth and nail for Portal players last year Freeze will.  As other teams have seen what the Portal can do there will be even more competition for top players in the Portal. I have a feeling that Kiffin will not do as well this year in the Portal as he did last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

I literally just saw you use this same argument AGAINST Coach Prime in the thread with the JUCO OT we lost out on against Colorado. So you can defend Kiffin but use that against Prime? Wild.

I don't know what you are talking about. I don't recall mentioning Sanders in regard to the portal one way or the other. Link?

• Facepalm 1

Who knows how the game has changed. Kiffin may be onto something. You need the top high school talent to compete at a playoff level and only the very best are ready to go year one. Then you have to pay/re-recruit then every year with NIL /portal anyway. So play the portal for your starting talent, signing day becomes more about depth and projects. Might be a smart strategy at a school like Ole Miss.

I’m truly impressed with what Freeze and his staff have accomplished in such a short time. It’s a great foundation for the future, but we still need the portal to have a chance at success next season. That is going to still be Freeze’s biggest primary test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

Who knows how the game has changed. Kiffin may be onto something. You need the top high school talent to compete at a playoff level and only the very best are ready to go year one. Then you have to pay/re-recruit then every year with NIL /portal anyway. So play the portal for your starting talent, signing day becomes more about depth and projects. Might be a smart strategy at a school like Ole Miss.

I’m truly impressed with what Freeze and his staff have accomplished in such a short time. It’s a great foundation for the future, but we still need the portal to have a chance at success next season. That is going to still be Freeze’s biggest primary test.

To expect or believe that with the portal that Auburn will have a big year next year is not realistic.   Auburn for the last three seasons has been a  .500 team.  Expecting any coach to come in here and change this around in one year is crazy.    All I want to see is a team that is winning the games it should and competitive against the better ranked teams.   

• Like 1

Just now, aubaseball said:

To expect or believe that with the portal that Auburn will have a big year next year is not realistic.   Auburn for the last three seasons has been a  .500 team.  Expecting any coach to come in here and change this around in one year is crazy.    All I want to see is a team that is winning the games it should and competitive against the better ranked teams.   

Not big. Our current roster reflects our record this year and will be worse next. Without help, we’re going to have a hard time just being competitive.