Marcus Davis Wide Receiver Coach

AuburnWarVet

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Respectfully who cares what they are doing. The coach is bringing in who he sees as a good fit and have a staff that can execute his vision. Like someone above said if it doesn’t work out he will be relieved of his duties. LSU won by the skin of their teeth and Auburn had an inept coach. What about Tamu shelling out all that money for mediocrity.

Respectfully, when you are forced to play the best programs in the nation every single year it takes equal or better talent and coaching to get the upper hand on them.

With that said, Davis is an Auburn Man, and he will no doubt work hard.  I believe he knows exactly what Auburn needs right now and I can't wait to see the studs he pulls out of Florida's hot bed.  

• Like 2

I don't mind this hire.  Seems better than a boring retread.  Loving the spin that all of a sudden he picked the available Marcus Davis over whom all insiders claimed would be our WR coach.  Makes me chuckle.

Like a young, hungry guy.  Not sure if I really fully buy into these "coaching analytics" fully, but it's at least one data point/validation.  Hugh has done well in his past finding young good coaches, so could easily line up that way again.  I do think ppl like J Lee and other call this a "home run hire" and other extreme superlatives are a bit much.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Like a young, hungry guy.  Not sure if I really fully buy into these "coaching analytics" fully, but it's at least one data point/validation.  Hugh has done well in his past finding young good coaches, so could easily line up that way again.  I do think ppl like J Lee and other call this a "home run hire" and other extreme superlatives are a bit much.

They love pumping sunshine in these Freezing cold days.  🥶

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Saban and Alabama have analysts that are former P5 coaches.

Well, I was told NS only wins because he gets the best players all the time. Now, the analyst he hires on his staff matters all of a sudden? 

Make it make sense.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Bill O’ Brien is a well know coach with all that talent around him but somehow most want him gone 🤷🏿‍♂️ 

I don't mind people criticizing, but the people unhappy have not a clue who they would want at this position nor how they would make it better. A couple of names were thrown out there by insiders of course and people ran with them. Like clockwork, they were wrong and people assume "we missed out on these guys." 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If honest, most of us have zero clue who the WR coaches are for CFBs top teams. I’m excited about the MD hire and whatever deficiencies he has experience wise will be elevated quickly under the tutelage of Freeze and Montgomery. Welcome home Marcus!

• Like 3

Here’s a thought… maybe, just maybe CMD was exactly who CHF was looking for because he was the better fit per the interview process? Maybe the other, better known candidates did not understand/fit the vision CHF has? I mean dang, why assume anyone here knows what CHF looks for in a staff member?   It just might be fun to watch Auburn football again! War Eagle!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, I was told NS only wins because he gets the best players all the time. Now, the analyst he hires on his staff matters all of a sudden? 

Make it make sense.

Two years coaching experience, and isn’t a proven recruiter. The fall ball back is using some BS analytics. 

Edited by TigerFanAU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

3 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Two years coaching experience, and isn’t a proven recruiter. The fall ball back is using some on some BS analytics. 

Many made the same arguments about Cadillac when he was hired after a couple of years at West Georgia and Henderson State. . 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, augolf1716 said:

He has more experience then Caddy did. We shall see if it works out.

Caddy is a former Top 10 draft pick, NFLvet, nfl offensive rookie of the year and legendary Auburn Runningback.

• Facepalm 6

9 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Two years coaching experience, and isn’t a proven recruiter. The fall ball back is using some BS analytics. 

We will see lol

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Saban and Alabama have analysts that are former P5 coaches. We’re hiring former players in the 20’s, with 24 months experience as position coaches and recruiters.

Why don’t you give the guy a chance? He may be fantastic. Why complain about something when you don’t even know how it is going to work out?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Here’s a thought… maybe, just maybe CMD was exactly who CHF was looking for because he was the better fit per the interview process? Maybe the other, better known candidates did not understand/fit the vision CHF has? I mean dang, why assume anyone here knows what CHF looks for in a staff member?   It just might be fun to watch Auburn football again! War Eagle!

I mean, honestly....you think it took Hugh 4 weeks to weed through all these top guys that wanted the job bc they didn't meet his vision and he all of a sudden found Marcus Davis at GA Southern, Auburn alum too, and BAM elite hire perfec fit!!

• Like 1

You know he had to hire who the “real men of genius posters” here wanted him to hire or it would be considered a failure. All I know is all great coaches were not great from the start…to get this opportunity there is something Freeze sees in him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I could have sworn CHF was out recruiting trying to fill all the vacant spots on the roster. It won’t matter what coaches he brings in if he don’t have players to coach. Hiring a wide receivers coach a few weeks later shouldn’t be a big deal but I guess everything should be done at light speed.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

IMO, this is the future of recruiting. Pre NIL, a coach could be green skinned with purple hair and recruit quite well as long as he had the Benjamins. Now that the money playing field is leveling, recruiting is going to be even more about relationships. Personally, I like the idea of young coaches recruiting as they can relate to these high school kids. With all else being equal, I’ll take 28 year old Marcus Davis recruiting a young, impressionable high school kid over a 60 something year old J B Grimes type of coach.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I’m fine with the hire. It’s been the entire chf staff hiring approach. Very few of his hires, if any, have been well know hires in our footprint. How it plays out as we pivot from just recovering from Harsin to achieving elite we’ll see . But chf’s staffing philosophy has been very consistent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

IMO, this is the future of recruiting. Pre NIL, a coach could be green skinned with purple hair and recruit quite well as long as he had the Benjamins. Now that the money playing field is leveling, recruiting is going to be even more about relationships. Personally, I like the idea of young coaches recruiting as they can relate to these high school kids. With all else being equal, I’ll take 28 year old Marcus Davis recruiting a young, impressionable high school kid over a 60 something year old J B Grimes type of coach.

Yeah. Which is why I value having proven SEC recruiters on staff. Peeler would’ve been that. I really hope it’s not penny pinching on the part of our PTB and the game truly has changed in favor of this analytics stuff.

• Facepalm 1

I love that freeze understands the impact of players seeing guys that look like them in leadership positions. 

No coincidence also with what was being said about us the last couple of years

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Coach Freeze has brought in another young dynamo. Welcome Home Coach Davis! 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah. Which is why I value having proven SEC recruiters on staff. Peeler would’ve been that. I really hope it’s not penny pinching on the part of our PTB and the game truly has changed in favor of this analytics stuff.

I can’t roll my eyes any harder. 👀 👀 

• Haha 3

• Freeze and others view Davis as a rising star. He graded out as a 5-star with the Dave Bartoo analytics company. 
  • He has strong ties to South Florida. 
  • He’s an Auburn grad that fits Freeze’s culture. 
  • He’s a strong person of faith.

looks like this guy is as marketable as they come for the Auburn fan 

• Like 3