If you can't speak the language...

CCTAU

I got kinda perterbed the other day. I saw a comercial that was dubbed in english. The company is Head and Shoulders. Actually I have seen two of them. I understand that their probably is a high population of spanish speaking people in fla but isn't there enough support for their product in the US to generate english speaking commercials. I e-mailed Head and Shoulders and here is their reply.

Procter & Gamble serves consumers of all races, nationalities, cultures

and languages and strives to be responsive to their different needs and

preferences.  Since large communities of Spanish-speaking people live

in some areas of the U.S., we have developed packaging and advertising,

including coupons, in Spanish to communicate our product messages to

them.  We believe all consumers deserve to receive the necessary

information to use our products.

Airing a Spanish-language ad on national network television is another

indication that the face of America is evolving.  The ad is an

extension of our long-term outreach to Hispanic consumers.

I have no problem with spanish commercials but don't dub english over it. JMO

I have had a problem with catering to language barrier problem for a long time. If you are going to choose to live in this country, then you need to learn the language. If I choose to go be a citizen of Mexico, Japan, France, etc., then I better learn the language, because they are not going to cater to me and speak English. The USA is a full of diverse people and it is crazy to cater to each those cultures when it comes to language. You know, most Asians and people of other nationalities learn English if they are going to live here, why can't Hispanics?

I think we should be open to other people's languages, etc. But, often times people are overlooked or fired from job positions because they dont speak Spanish. This has to stop. Shouldn't people at least have to TRY to learn English when they come into this country? I wouldn't kick anyone out of the country for not speaking the language, but I don't think it is right for another language to be held in equal regard to our natural language.

That is purely a marketing move by P&G, this thing is all about money IMO. Who knows, if it helps them make money, power to them. My question is, what happened to using the SAP audio track for this??

I do however support a bill establishing a primary method of communication. A long time coming, question is, watch those politicians with large local hispanic populations vote against this.

I think we should be open to other people's languages, etc. But, often times people are overlooked or fired from job positions because they dont speak Spanish. This has to stop. Shouldn't people at least have to TRY to learn English when they come into this country? I wouldn't kick anyone out of the country for not speaking the language, but I don't think it is right for another language to be held in equal regard to our natural language.

Exactly. I have been turned down for jobs that I had more then enough experience for, but did not get them because I was not bilingual. I speak enough spanish to order at Taco Bell and that is about it. If I ever plan to move to Mexico, I will start learning the language before I do.

I completed a couple of projects in central Mexico and was able to learn all the Spanish I needed pretty quickly:

cervezas

tequila

lime (actually a lemon)

banos

aqui

aqua

I got kinda perterbed the other day. I saw a comercial that was dubbed in english. The company is Head and Shoulders. Actually I have seen two of them. I understand that their probably is a high population of spanish speaking people in fla but isn't there enough support for their product in the US to generate english speaking commercials. I e-mailed Head and Shoulders and here is their reply.
Procter & Gamble serves consumers of all races, nationalities, cultures

and languages and strives to be responsive to their different needs and

preferences.  Since large communities of Spanish-speaking people live

in some areas of the U.S., we have developed packaging and advertising,

including coupons, in Spanish to communicate our product messages to

them.  We believe all consumers deserve to receive the necessary

information to use our products.

Airing a Spanish-language ad on national network television is another

indication that the face of America is evolving.  The ad is an

extension of our long-term outreach to Hispanic consumers.

I have no problem with spanish commercials but don't dub english over it. JMO

Honey, it wasn't just in Florida - saw that same commercial in Houston.

You only have to look at our northern neighbor to realize what the future holds if we don't establish english as our national language. Every few years the french speaking majority in Quebec goes on a tear to split the country. The last time this occurred, it ended with concessions that made even a greater divide between the province of Quebec and the rest of Canada.

Fluency in English should be a requirement for citizenship! Fluency in English should be required for permanent residency! All legal procedings, contracts and classes, except to teach english, should be in English! That being said, we should make English classes available to all those who qualify for residency, but make it clear, that learning English is not optional, if they want to remain in the US.

Believe me they know more english than they make out like they do. If you don't believe me just mess with their checks, they will tell you (in english) faster than you can blink. But then again if they get in trouble they will cop the "me no speaka english" just as fast. :roll:

WDE!!

Karen :huh:

As far as I'm concerned, they should learn to speak the language if they want to stay here. If they can't learn the language, they have no business in the U.S. We would be expected to learn any language of a country that we moved too, why can't they??? Learn the language or leave the country..

I had jury duty a few weeks ago. One of the requirements to sit on the jury was the ability to read and write English. When asked, every foreigner (hispanic and oriental) in the room raised their hand so that they could be dismissed because of this requirement. Since the potential jurors are randomly selected from the pool of registered voters and licensed drivers, I was wondering why these people have the right to vote or drive if they can't read/write English. Makes you wonder...

I had jury duty a few weeks ago. One of the requirements to sit on the jury was the ability to read and write English. When asked, every foreigner (hispanic and oriental) in the room raised their hand so that they could be dismissed because of this requirement. Since the potential jurors are randomly selected from the pool of registered voters and licensed drivers, I was wondering why these people have the right to vote or drive if they can't read/write English. Makes you wonder...

When I was stationed in Germany I was allowed to drive but really can't speak German very well at all.

Heck, I tried that and they told me "REDNECK" speak is still considered english. I served the whole week.

When I was stationed in Germany I was allowed to drive but really can't speak German very well at all.

I understand. Germany is definitely a society that we should model ours after...

I think the only people who think citizens don't need to know Enlgish are the foreigners and the ones who've never taken a college course from a guy who was one year out of some other country like China, India, or South Africa. I hate classes with foreigners as GTA's and such. ugh....

I understand. Germany is definitely a society that we should model ours after...

I don't think that was my point. I was simply saying that I went to a country that speaks a different language than I do and was able to pass a driving test, given in English, I might add, and drive there for three years without a problem despite my rudimentary understanding of the language. We don't need to convert to their system of government or adopt their society to do the same for people here who don't yet speak English. Let us truly practice 'compassionate conservatism!'

I don't think that was my point. I was simply saying that I went to a country that speaks a different language than I do and was able to pass a driving test, given in English, I might add, and drive there for three years without a problem despite my rudimentary understanding of the language. We don't need to convert to their system of government or adopt their society to do the same for people here who don't yet speak English. Let us truly practice 'compassionate conservatism!'

Its just my opinion but if they want to drive OUR streets then they should have to pass a driving test given in OUR language. That way they would not need to drive 25 MPH on the freeway trying to figure out what exit they need to take because they can't read the friggin' street signs. This law would also motivate them to learn our language if they wanted to function in our society. We give them too much leeway as it is. If we want to be compassionate, we can provide them the Sally Struthers course on the English language at a reduced price.

if you take out the hispanic and oriential and added Redneck then you would have your typical Bama fan.

I am sure most of them can't read/write english, but I bet they can quote Jeff Foxworthy.

Archived