Official Florida vs Auburn Thread

Tiger Growlin

i usually dont post much, as seen from my post count, but can anyone please tell me why we cannot hit a foul shot. i am so tired of seeing auburn lose games from the foul line.i support the team win or lose but this has been going on for several years.do we not practice free throws?

When we're shooting from the field like we do then free throws might not be a huge priority at this point. You have to actually be putting 2s and 3s on the board before good foul shooting would really have much of an impact.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree on the free throws. What did we hit, like 1? The main problem to me is that it is SO hard for anybody to get open on offense. We hardly had any easy baskets, and if they were easy it was usually of an offensive rebound (which is rare). I'm not giving up hope on Auburn basketball, but we have to get to where we do something right. Defense played good I suppose, thanks to a horrible shooting night for Florida, but we have to start changing stuff up because tonight was bad. It would have been a bad performance even if we had won, but as they say a win's a win

i usually dont post much, as seen from my post count, but can anyone please tell me why we cannot hit a foul shot. i am so tired of seeing auburn lose games from the foul line.i support the team win or lose but this has been going on for several years.do we not practice free throws?

When we're shooting from the field like we do then free throws might not be a huge priority at this point. You have to actually be putting 2s and 3s on the board before good foul shooting would really have much of an impact.

Couple of made free throws tonight and win this ballgame. I'd say they are a priority, especially when you aren't making shots from the field.

Couple of made free throws tonight and win this ballgame. I'd say they are a priority, especially when you aren't making shots from the field.

Agreed.

Haha, I didn't mean to get everyone riled up, I was just stating a fact. Yes, I root for everything Auburn, but I'm also a realist when it comes to our basketball team. And yes, I do know a thing or 3 about basketball, played it in high school and college. Anyways, I was just reading these comments about the game, and I wasn't sure if I was watching a different game or what. I thought I'd give a realistic take on how this team performs, I'm not a rah rah type of guy, I call it like I see it, and this team would be lucky to beat an AAU team. Again, sorry if I rubbed some people the wrong way.....

By the way AuburnBasketball, I have followed Auburn basketball recruiting as well, and it means nothing if those recruits fail to qualify, ala Cothron and Kemp, to name a few.....

I don't think anyone on here is gonna disagree with ya that we are currently a bad team. That is painfully obvious. The optimisim comes with what our future could be and just trying to be as supportive as possible. WDE.

We are a bad team only because we fail to do the basics and fundamentals. Missing easy lay ups and going 1 8 from the line isn't gonna help us win games. Also the fact that we only went to the line 4 or 5 times tells you we aren't exactly attacking the basket. I don't know what else to say. Even CTB looked at a loss for answers when they showed him on tv. We haven't exactly been lighting it up the past few games, so it's strange that the game we had the best chance of winning, we actually scored 20 something less points than our average. I don't know if I wanna call that improvement or success.  Very frustrating

I'm not sure I understand the "great effort" comments. Are you guys saying that because we kept it close? I don't call great effort standing there while the other teams player steps in front of you for a rebound like happened many time. Or missing 7-8 from the FT stripe. That's all mental and lack of concentration. I understand we have a lack of talent, but that doesn't excuse no hustle. That's how you level the playing field when you are less talented. You work your rear end off for every loose ball every rebound etc. I don't see it from this team. That's what frustrates me more than anything.

Guys, the thing is we just don't have the talent to compete. It just isn't there. Yes, fundamentals are important, but you do have to have skill and talent in order to properly execute those fundamentals in game situations.  That's why most of us were never able to play college basketball, because it doesn't matter how much we practiced, we just would never have been good enough.

Thats partly the problem with our team right now. Barbee just doesn't have enough Div-1 caliber talent to coach up.

Until we give Barbee time to recruit his type of players and have a relatively healthy team, then I don't feel its fair for us to judge him or his players for what is happening out on the court this season.

We may not have ever had an absolutely horrible season under Jeff Lebo, but Lebo never showed any signs of being able to increase the talent level at Auburn. We were always good for 11-17 wins a year off of creamcakes and an occasional upset, but we never actually got any better from year-to-year. Tony Barbee has already shown signs of being able to lure good talent here which, along with his fast pace offense, should mean dramatic improvement over the next few years.

Archived