Auburn Softball to Start Season at All-Alabama Classic

tigerscoach

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Hibbett/Easton All-Alabama Classic will mark the beginning of the 2011 softball season for every Division I program in the state of Alabama. The inaugural All-Alabama Classic will feature nine teams as they will meet at the Vestavia Hills Sports Complex at Liberty Park.

A total of 22 games will be played, beginning on Friday, Feb. 11, and going through Sunday, Feb. 13. The first slate of games will begin on that Friday at 3:30 p.m.

“This is going to be a great weekend in the state of Alabama,” Crimson Tide head coach Patrick Murphy said. “It is going to be a very rare and special occasion to get all nine schools that play a specific sport in one location at the same time. The opening weekend is going to show the commitment and improvement of softball in the state of Alabama.”

The nine teams that will square off in the classic will be: Alabama, Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Auburn, Jacksonville State, Samford, South Alabama, Troy and UAB. Of the nine teams competing, four (Alabama, Auburn, Jacksonville State, UAB) earned a trip to the 2010 NCAA Tournament.

“We are looking forward to playing in the first ever Hibbett/Easton All-Alabama Classic,” Samford head coach Stephanie Van Brakle said. “It will be a great weekend of softball for our state. To have all the Division I programs playing at the same location is a special thing. Samford is proud to be a part of this tournament and we are looking forward to a great weekend.”

The complex features four different fields that will be individually named after an Easton bat. The opening day will have seven games played with the second round beginning at 6 p.m. On Saturday, nine contests will be played with start times slated for 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. The classic closes on Sunday with a total of six games, starting at 11 a.m. and concluding with three 1:30 p.m. contests.

“The Hibbett-Easton All Alabama Classic is going to be a great event for both the student-athletes and the fans,” South Alabama head coach Becky Clark said. “The idea of having all of Alabama's Division I softball teams at one tournament fighting for in-state bragging rights is definitely exciting. I think it will be a tremendous event and am definitely looking forward to kicking off our 2011 season by battling it out with the other great teams in our state.”

Admission Prices Below:

$25 all admission pass

$15 children 12-under

$10 daily

$7 children 12-under

Archived