What is the future value of having played on MNC team....

canebrake

It strikes me as though there is a real intangible value (kind of like Goodwill) from having played on a team that just won the NC in the style that Auburn did.

1. Never, never, never give up (A. Carter)

2. Squandering a lead is easy

3. Play through the whistle (M. Dyer)

4. Follow the leader

5. Listen to your coaches

6. Don't celebrate too much after the play

Etc.

Discuss - how these leason impact future teams and the younf players that where their first hand!

Nice first post.

And, honestly, I'd say the greatest subtle value of winning the BCSNC is, quite simply, learning how to win. Cam seemed to will us forward at times, and it was the players' belief in him that allowed them to believe in themselves and get all of their jobs done. That understanding of how to win, as opposed to falling short or playing not to lose and letting opponents creep up on you, can be invaluable down the stretch.

For the Freshmen who got plenty of playing time on this years time, you would like to think that they will have that competitors edge.  Players like Blake, Dyer, McCalebb, B. Mosely, Lemonier, Freeman, Bates, McNeil have had great leadership to follow.  They now need to be the leadership of the team and lead the underclassmen that they can also win a Championship....

Let's face it, the coaching staff did not teach these young men how to win on the football field. They taught them what it takes in values, accountability, sacrifice and determination to do what is necessary to be a success in any venture in life, and then applied those lessons to the football field. They were champions long before they played Oregon and this IMHO is why it is GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger.

Let's face it, the coaching staff did not teach these young men how to win on the football field. They taught them what it takes in values, accountability, sacrifice and determination to do what is necessary to be a success in any venture in life, and then applied those lessons to the football field. They were champions long before they played Oregon and this IMHO is why it is GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger.

^^^^^ What he said! ^^^^^  :wareagle:

The heading for this post, " . . . having played on MNC team . . ." is mythical in itself. Mythical is defined as "lacking factual basis or historical validity". Using MNC is in error when relating to teams who have won the Bowl Championship Series. The BCS is factual and historical - - There are now 13 BCS national champions dating to 1998.

The heading for this post, " . . . having played on MNC team . . ." is mythical in itself. Mythical is defined as "lacking factual basis or historical validity". Using MNC is in error when relating to teams who have won the Bowl Championship Series. The BCS is factual and historical - - There are now 13 BCS national champions dating to 1998.

Well, Well, Mr. Dictionary

Until the human factor (polls, media influence, favoritism for particular teams, etc.) is removed from the process all together, and the NC team is decided completely on the field, I don't care what your little philosophical diatribe says....

ITS STILL MYTHICAL!

Until the human factor (polls, media influence, favoritism for particular teams, etc.) is removed from the process all together, and the NC team is decided completely on the field, I don't care what your little philosophical diatribe says....

ITS STILL MYTHICAL!

Actually, he is correct; there is a game for which the winner is declared the BCS National Champion. You can question the legitimacy all you like, but that doesn't take away from the facts.

By the way, while I understand that you are saying there will never be a true national champion until a playoff is instituted, but the media, polls, etc will always influence things. How often are Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and UConn seeded higher than equal teams without the name recognition, thereby giving them an easier road to the Final Four? You can splice hairs every different direction, that doesn't change anything.

ITS STILL MYTHICAL!

Actually, he is correct; there is a game for which the winner is declared the BCS National Champion. You can question the legitimacy all you like, but that doesn't take away from the facts.

By the way, while I understand that you are saying there will never be a true national champion until a playoff is instituted, but the media, polls, etc will always influence things. How often are Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and UConn seeded higher than equal teams without the name recognition, thereby giving them an easier road to the Final Four? You can splice hairs every different direction, that doesn't change anything.

I don't dispute that fact that their is a BCS system and that they crown a NC. just because they do this doesn't make it correct. Teams are choosen on opinion and favoritism, Not won and deserved on the field. reguardless of how many BCS NC's have been awarded, including Auburns, Until all human influance outside of the product on the field is removed, and the teams that meet for this game are proven on the field and not in the ESPN lounge, It will stay mythical.

The answer is obvious to me.  It taught a program the feeling of winning. Call it swagger, pride, or whatever. It is the feeling that no matter the circumstance you can win.  BTW I feel that this started in 2009 and carried into '10. 

My reason for bringing it up is that I think it is almost like intellectual property in a business.

Perhaps the lessons of having been there, done that will become systemic through multiple years. Whereas in 2004 it did not continue and frankly I never thought we got the sustained recruiting boost the program needed to establish a chain. Duck hunting and general recruiting lethargy by Tubs and Co. also likely did not help.

None the less, it appears to me that this time around the pertinent variables are generally aligned in a positive orientation. Having reached the brass ring, incredible coaching and recruiting etc. etc.

What is really on my mind, and I bet many of you as well, is the formation of a dynasty (re: UF from 96' to 2008)

I don't dispute that fact that their is a BCS system and that they crown a NC. just because they do this doesn't make it correct. Teams are choosen on opinion and favoritism, Not won and deserved on the field. reguardless of how many BCS NC's have been awarded, including Auburns, Until all human influance outside of the product on the field is removed, and the teams that meet for this game are proven on the field and not in the ESPN lounge, It will stay mythical.

*SIGH*

It's impossible to remove all human influence outside of the product on the field. Like I said, even if we go to a playoff, then the selection/seeding will be influenced by public opinion and the traditional powers will have an easier road to the finals than equivalent yet less storied programs. You deserve credit for maintaining the stance that Auburn fans have held about all Bama's championships, but this just seems to be too much of a reach. It's like you are saying you will never accept that there is a national champion in major college football...and I guess that's exactly what you are saying.

But I guess that's okay. If you want to define a national championship as something other than what the rest of the country defines it as, more power to you.

I agree with you.  Auburn beat FOUR teams that won 10 or more games last year and one more (twice) that won 9... There have been years when the term "mythical" is appropriate but there is nothing mythical about Auburn's 2010 national championship.

Meh, Auburn won the national championship game -- a feat only a few teams have done more than once.

Next time somebody brags about how many national championships their team has, ask them how many national championship games they've won.  Auburn is currently at 1.

*SIGH*

It's impossible to remove all human influence outside of the product on the field. Like I said, even if we go to a playoff, then the selection/seeding will be influenced by public opinion and the traditional powers will have an easier road to the finals than equivalent yet less storied programs. You deserve credit for maintaining the stance that Auburn fans have held about all Bama's championships, but this just seems to be too much of a reach. It's like you are saying you will never accept that there is a national champion in major college football...and I guess that's exactly what you are saying.

But I guess that's okay. If you want to define a national championship as something other than what the rest of the country defines it as, more power to you.

I don't define it any different than anyone else, I just see the system as sevierly flawed. Unfortunately I doubt any change that will be made will really be any better. I think the powers that by like having the ability to manipulate things as they see fit.

Enough on that, lets get back on topic. My apologies for the threadJack.

I hope they use the experiences of 2010 as a learning expierence, and that they come out hungry for more.

I'm just glad folks aren't talking in terms of economic value!

I'm going to keep my eye on Michael Dyer. He's one of the youngest to have had such an impact in the game, so maybe we'll see more of the payoff with him.

Oh, and as for the 'M' in 'MNC' -- I thought it was still the case that the NCAA didn't officially recognize a National Champion in the Bowl Subdivision (or whatever the new term is).  :dunno: That's the basis for calling it "mythical" in my opinion.

Your guaranteed a job with St. Farm the rest of your life ?????

The answer is obvious to me.  It taught a program the feeling of winning. Call it swagger, pride, or whatever. It is the feeling that no matter the circumstance you can win.  BTW I feel that this started in 2009 and carried into '10. 

I have come up with the most obvious answer, "The Chicks dig the Ring!" Could you imagine being 19 to 21 and being on campus to defend the title.

I have come up with the most obvious answer, "The Chicks dig the Ring!" Could you imagine being 19 to 21 and being on campus to defend the title.

:laugh: Now that's tangible value.  :laugh:

Archived