1983 Auburn Tigers

StatTiger

Still feeling the special moments from Auburn's 2010 championship season, I've decided to do features on past Auburn championship teams over the past 30-years. First up....the 1983 Auburn Tigers!

__________________________________________________ ________________

1983secpanoramasig.jpg

1983 Auburn Tigers

11-1-0 / 6-0-0 SEC

SEC Champions / No. 3 in the AP Poll

Average Score: 26-16

* Began the season, ranked No. 3 in the UP poll and No. 5 in the AP poll.

* Finished the season No. 3 in both polls and No. 1 in the NY Times computer poll.

* Auburn averaged 293.7 yards rushing per game, No. 3 nationally. Bo Jackson was No. 10 in the nation with 110.3 yards rushing per game and No. 2 nationally with 7.7 yards per rush. Jackson was a Consensus All-American.

* The Tigers averaged 383-yards and 26 PPG and the defense allowed 313-yards and 16 PPG.

* Auburn faced the nation’s most difficult schedule, including 7 opponents that were ranked in the top 20. Of their 12 opponents faced during 1983, 10 finished the season with a winning record and 9 appeared in a bowl game.

* Auburn had multiple All-SEC performers in Dowe Aughtman - NG, Pat Arrington - OT, Gregg Carr - LB, Donnie Humphrey - DT, David King - CB, Bo Jackson - HB, David Jordan – OG and Doug Smith – DT.

* Auburn’s execution of their wishbone offense made them a difficult offense to defend. Despite playing the nation’s most difficult schedule, the Auburn offense scored 29 percent more than their opponent normally allowed, while the defense held their opponent to 36 percent below their scoring average.

* Bo Jackson led Auburn with 1213-yards on 7.7 yards per rush. Lionel James gained 761-yards on 6.1 yards per rush, followed by fullback, Tommy Agee with 604-yards on 5.2 yards per carry. Quarterback, Randy Campbell threw only 3 interceptions in 12 games, completing 55 percent of his passes for 11.2 yards per completion. Tightend, Ed West was the team’s leading receiver with 16 receptions. Chris Woods was second on the team with 15 receptions for 2 TD’s on 15.1 yards per reception.

Highlights of the season…

* Auburn opened up the season with a 24-3 victory over a solid Southern Miss team (7-4), which finished the season with the nation’s No. 6 defense and No. 5 in scoring defense. Auburn rushed for 290-yards. Lionel James rushed for 172-yards against the Golden Eagles.

* Auburn’s first SEC game of the season came against Tennessee in Knoxville. The Volunteers finished the season with a 9-3 record, No. 9 in total defense and No. 8 in scoring defense. Auburn rushed for 273-yards in a 37-14 romp, while holding the Volunteer running game to just 78-yards. The Auburn defense forced 5 turnovers during the game. Randy Campbell completed 10 of 16 passes and Bo Jackson rushed for 91-yards on 15 carries, including a 46-yard run.

* Auburn defeated No. 17 Florida State the following weekend, 27-24. Randy Campbell threw for 3 touchdowns on 12 of 20 attempts, while Bo Jackson rushed for 123-yards. The Auburn defense forced 3 turnovers against the Seminoles, which was a major factor in Auburn’s victory. Linebacker, Gregg Carr snuffed out the Seminoles last possession with an interception.

* Auburn defeated No. 23 Kentucky, 49-21 with 384-yards rushing against the Wildcats. The Tiger defense held Kentucky to 294-yards, including 55-yards rushing. Auburn spread the wealth around with 12 different running backs carrying the ball against undefeated Kentucky.

* Auburn defeated rival, Georgia Tech, 31-13, amassing 333-yards rushing, which included Bo Jackson rushing for 123-yards and Tommy Agee rushed for 71-yards. The Yellow Jackets led, 10-7 at halftime but Auburn switched to a “53” defense in the second half, dominating the second half, 21-3. Tech had 225-yards in total offense by halftime and were held to 107-yards during the second half.

* Auburn defeated No. 5 Florida, 28-21, which included 316-yards rushing by the Tiger running game. The Gators came into the game, 6-0-1, allowing 101-yards rushing (No.8 nationally) and 13 PPG. Bo Jackson rushed for 196-yards and Lionel James added an additional 73-yards on the ground. Florida’s Neal Anderson entered the game with 625-yards rushing on 5.5 yards per carry. He was held to 36-yards on 9 carries. Despite being sick the night before the game, Bo Jackson had his best game of the season up to that point. Coach Bud Casey gave credit to Ed West (TE) and his ability to handle Florida’s Wilber Marshall on the edge, which was key to Auburn’s 57-toss play.

* The following week, Auburn faced off against No. 7 Maryland, who entered the game with the No. 11 offense in the country and the No. 21 run-defense. Auburn ran for a season high, 450-yards in a 35-23 victory over the Terps. Tommy Agee (219), Lionel James (115) and Bo Jackson (105) rushed for over 100-yards. Auburn finished the game with 517-yards and 29 first downs on the day. Auburn punter, Lewis Colbert averaged 55.7 yards per punt on his 3 punts.

* Auburn clinched their SEC championship with a 13-7 victory over No.4 Georgia in Athens. The Bulldogs entered the game, averaging 249-yards on the ground, while holding their opponent to just 106-yards on 2.9 yards per rush. Auburn ran for 261-yards, while holding Georgia to 51-yards on the ground. Bo Jackson rushed for 115-yards and Lionel James had 84-yards. Georgia came into the game averaging 365-yards per game on offense but were held to 168-yards against Auburn.

* Auburn closed out the regular season against No. 19 Alabama in the annual Iron Bowl. The game would feature two top-20 run offenses, with both teams responding on game day. Auburn rushed for 355-yards led by Bo Jackson’s 256-yards and Alabama rushed for 289-yards, led by Kerry Goode’s 142-yards. Bo Jackson chiseled his name in this classic rivalry with touchdown runs of 69 and 71-yards. Alabama coach, Ray Perkins proclaimed Bo Jackson as better than Herschel Walker after Auburn defeated Alabama, 23-20. Jackson would end up scoring the game-winning touchdown with 2 minutes remaining in the third period as the fourth period brought heavy rainstorms, which plagued both offenses during the final period. Auburn’s defense gave up 351-yards but forced 3 crucial turnovers during the game.

* The 1983 Auburn Tigers closed out their season in the 1984 Sugar Bowl against No. 8 Michigan. The Wolverines came into the game with the nation’s No. 22 offense, including the 8th ranked run-offense. On defense, Michigan was No. 3 against the run and No. 5 in total defense. Auburn dominated the line of scrimmage, rushing for 301-yards, while holding Michigan to just 243-yards, well below their season average of 407-yards per game. Despite Auburn’s dominance, the Tigers needed Al Del Greco to kick a game-winning fieldgoal with 27 seconds remaining in the game to capture a 9-7 victory. Bo Jackson rushed for 130-yards, followed by Tommy Agee’s 93-yards and Lionel James 83-yards rushing. Michigan quarterback, Steve Smith was held to 9 completions from 25 pass attempts.

Despite facing a brutal schedule, the 1983 Auburn Tigers finished the season with an 11-1 record. The AP and UP voters were more impressed with Miami’s upset victory over Nebraska in the Orange Bowl than Auburn’s total body of work. Auburn faced 5 opponents that finished the season in the top 25 of total offense and 5 opponents that finished in the nation’s top 25 of total defense. Auburn finished the season with the No. 3 run-offense, No. 31 offense and the No. 26 defense, which were terrific rankings considering the juggernaut schedule the Tigers faced that year.

The 1983 roster would end up producing 6 All-Americans, 18 All-SEC players and 22 future NFL draft picks. Since 1983, no eventual national championship team has equaled the same strength of schedule Auburn faced 28 years ago. The New York Times computer poll got it right, ranking Auburn No.1 at the conclusion of the season. It would be the first of 4 SEC Championships under Pat Dye and one of the best teams in school history. There have been numerous players from the 1983 roster, who would eventually return to Auburn has assistant coaches or mentors for future Auburn teams. They were special nearly 3 decades ago and remain so to this day.

War Eagle!

Great Post Stat.  I must have had some magic hit me looking at my Coke bottle yesterday. 

Any stats on the Texas game that we lost?

Has anyone every done a simulation through the BCS computers to see who would have ended up #1?

Stat....once again, you've delivered another great post. Well done brother, well done.

I bow to your abilities and once again: when I grow up I wanna be just like StatTiger!!!    :bow: :bow: :bow::wareagle:

Great Post Stat.  I must have had some magic hit me looking at my Coke bottle yesterday. 

Has anyone every done a simulation through the BCS computers to see who would have ended up #1?

Texas was average on offense that year but had a very good defense. Fred Akers knew a thing or two about defending the wishbone and Texas held us to 130-yards rushing. It was 20-0 at halftime and we scored late when the game was already decided. We finished with 227-yards and Texas had 266-yards. A couple of thoughts...

1) Auburn did not find their "team" identity till the GT game, when Dye unloaded on the team at halftime. It was similar to when Chizik called out the OL after the Clemson game.

2) Randy Campbell did not secure the QB starting position until after a few games into the season but once he gained the confidence of the coaches and players, he was flawless as the option QB.

In the uf game, Auburn was ahead 14-0 when a uf tailback, on his way to a sure td, fumbled into the endzone. Memory fails me cause i can't recall if the ball was recovered by Auburn or it rolled out of the endzone.

Anyway Auburn gets it on the 20. first play from scrimmage the Great Bo Jackson breaks it for an 80 yd td run. Auburn goes from a 14 -7 lead to a 21-0 lead just like that.

Fitting I guess that my first post is in this thread...

I loved the '83 team. My all-time favorite team and the reason I made my username what it is here and on TD. So many do not know the story of that team and how deserving they truly were. The schedule was so unbelievably brutal. Meanwhile Nebraska was crowned one of the greatest teams ever before they even played the bowl game because they were blowing out cupcakes. I believe a fairly mediocre PSU team was the only ranked team they played all year until Miami and it was not surprising they lost. It was not that Miami was that great or even as good as AU, but Nebraska just hadn't played a good team all year.

Anyway, there is absolutely no doubt AU was the real national champion in 1983. Possibly the worst job the polls have done in voting in 40 years (or at least since they began voting after the bowl game).

From the summer tragedy that the team endured to Dye's speech after the sugar bowl to the players, truly one of the greatest AU teams ever.

I was always an Auburn football fan, but as a 12 year old kid in 1983 watching this team was a privelidge. It's what made me start to really LOVE watching Auburn football. The 83 Tigers were on of the best teams ever.

Texas was average on offense that year but had a very good defense. Fred Akers knew a thing or two about defending the wishbone and Texas held us to 130-yards rushing. It was 20-0 at halftime and we scored late when the game was already decided. We finished with 227-yards and Texas had 266-yards. A couple of thoughts...

1) Auburn did not find their "team" identity till the GT game, when Dye unloaded on the team at halftime. It was similar to when Chizik called out the OL after the Clemson game.

2) Randy Campbell did not secure the QB starting position until after a few games into the season but once he gained the confidence of the coaches and players, he was flawless as the option QB.

Stat, Randy was the starter going into spring that year.  In '82 he had to compete but I remember articles that fall declaring Randy the most important player to AU's football fortunes in 83.

And to the "what would the BCS have done?" question, Nebraska and Texas would have played in the Championship game and we would have still been third in the national polls.

The weirdest thing about the '83 team is that if they had been a 'Bama team and the Updyke fans claimed they were #1, I couldn't argue with them. It would've made more sense than six of the MNC'S they claim now....

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread back up but I found this cool pic of Bo with Lionel James in the background and Wilbur Marshall from Florida during the 83 season.  Sat in section 16 in the south endzone during this game.  What a memorable season that was.

106826923.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6D81C35FB81AB97107CDA16DC18A638DF09C545FE14278CAD

.....nevermind........

Jerry Gray tackled Bo early in the game and Bo hurt his shoulder. My wife was 7 months pregnant when we went to the Sugar Bowl. Good Times!! I still say that 1983 was our best team that I have ever seen. Great Post Stat! When are you going to drop some 2010 D packages???

In the uf game, Auburn was ahead 14-0 when a uf tailback, on his way to a sure td, fumbled into the endzone. Memory fails me cause i can't recall if the ball was recovered by Auburn or it rolled out of the endzone.

Anyway Auburn gets it on the 20. first play from scrimmage the Great Bo Jackson breaks it for an 80 yd td run. Auburn goes from a 14 -7 lead to a 21-0 lead just like that.

Sumter,

Bo made some beautiful runs that day!  I was 13, but remember it like it was last week!  What a game and what a time!  WDE!!!

Jerry Gray tackled Bo early in the game and Bo hurt his shoulder. My wife was 7 months pregnant when we went to the Sugar Bowl. Good Times!! I still say that 1983 was our best team that I have ever seen. Great Post Stat! When are you going to drop some 2010 D packages???

The J. Gray tackle that hurt Bo's shoulder was the 84 game in Austin

Archived