Jamie Newberg Twitter

Here is a twitter from ESPN's Newberg:

@JNewbergESPN Anyone else notice how more aggressive AU is recruiting? They were closers last 2 yrs.Now they r rec from the front,maximizing on that ring.

The conventional wisdom was that AU would capitalize on their NC for the 2012 recruiting class. I guess that is coming to fruition!

I sort of wonder why they aren't sitting on more of these commitments for future "good news".  I love pulling the class together early, but if we hit December with 22 or 23 guys committed we get to spend the next two months fretting over who is about to de-commit without any of the excitement of 4* committing left and right.

I sort of wonder why they aren't sitting on more of these commitments for future "good news".  I love pulling the class together early, but if we hit December with 22 or 23 guys committed we get to spend the next two months fretting over who is about to de-commit without any of the excitement of 4* committing left and right.

Maybe they are sitting on some.....

Yeah I say they want to get some guys in to go ahead and start recruiting their top tier targets. I think they want to avoid more Callosway and Conjoe fiasco's like happened at the end of last recruiting season. Just my very humble opinion...

:we:

Don't you know a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush?  Statistics show it's rarer to lose a committed athlete than it is to get one to committ in the last couple of months.

Don't you know a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush?  Statistics show it's rarer to lose a committed athlete than it is to get one to committ in the last couple of months.

I wish you wouldn't use a bird analogy.  That's an invitation for our yellow-feathered friend to show up.

i think it is the basic premise as years past.  line up some lower tier talent and then drive hard at the upper tier.  difference is ... the lower tier talent is 4 stars this year ... with the last few commits/signees being upper 4's and 5's.

gotta love being the reigning national champ Auburn Tigers!

The good thing is, we know for sure our coaches know how to close a class. i.e. All Star games last year, as well as Fulse, Wright, and others.  Now we are seeing that our staff can recruit well early like the UT's, USC's and tOSU's of the world.  I think this year we will find a good balance, and possibly have the best overall class ever this year.

:wedance:

You know, I always assume they are sitting on a few, and in theory a silent commit is as good as a public commit in the coaches eyes, but I've been burned a few times with guys I was sure were silents.  It does seem like if a kid hasn't gone public then in his own mind he hasn't committed-committed and could still entertain other offers.  

For instance, I was sure-sure-sure that Gabe Wright and Erique Florence were locked in at Auburn and had promised the coaches they were coming.  They both did commit, but they both gave quotes at the end of the season that made it appear they were seriously entertaining other offers.  We all got worried about Tennessee and Gabe when it became apparent they were as sure as we were he was in the bag, and Erique seemed to be moved by Kiffin and USCw in the final weeks.  Was that all a show, or were guys who were as invested in AU as any public commit really considering alternative destinations at the last minute.

I also was sure Jeffrey Whitaker was silently committed to AU because our coaches didn't seem to be recruiting any other DL's other than the Arkansas kid to replace Thornton (who I also thought was a silent).  That seemed risky if Jeffrey wasn't a sure thing.  But he too gave quotes that made it sound like he was torn at the end.   maybe it's all a show just to make the other suitors not feel so bad, but it worries me a little.

Its beginning to bother me we worry about stars too much.  Getting lower-tier talent to then go after the upper-tier talent?  Really?  Anyone that the coaches want, and whether they commit now or on signing day is all I need.  Other than that, whether they're a 2* or 5* doesn't matter anymore.  Definitely been spoiled with all the talent that the coaches are bringing in, but some of you take it to seriously with these rankings.  

Its beginning to bother me we worry about stars too much.  Getting lower-tier talent to then go after the upper-tier talent?  Really?  Anyone that the coaches want, and whether they commit now or on signing day is all I need.  Other than that, whether they're a 2* or 5* doesn't matter anymore.  Definitely been spoiled with all the talent that the coaches are bringing in, but some of you take it to seriously with these rankings.  

you do realize i was kidding ... right?  the whole star reference was supposed to bump up the "funny" a little ... you should meet me in real life, i am even less funny than in the black and white computer world ...

You know, I always assume they are sitting on a few, and in theory a silent commit is as good as a public commit in the coaches eyes, but I've been burned a few times with guys I was sure were silents.  It does seem like if a kid hasn't gone public then in his own mind he hasn't committed-committed and could still entertain other offers.  

For instance, I was sure-sure-sure that Gabe Wright and Erique Florence were locked in at Auburn and had promised the coaches they were coming.  They both did commit, but they both gave quotes at the end of the season that made it appear they were seriously entertaining other offers.  We all got worried about Tennessee and Gabe when it became apparent they were as sure as we were he was in the bag, and Erique seemed to be moved by Kiffin and USCw in the final weeks.  Was that all a show, or were guys who were as invested in AU as any public commit really considering alternative destinations at the last minute.

I also was sure Jeffrey Whitaker was silently committed to AU because our coaches didn't seem to be recruiting any other DL's other than the Arkansas kid to replace Thornton (who I also thought was a silent).  That seemed risky if Jeffrey wasn't a sure thing.  But he too gave quotes that made it sound like he was torn at the end.   maybe it's all a show just to make the other suitors not feel so bad, but it worries me a little.

Erique was definitely ours. There was no doubt about that one. Gabe Wright was like a 60% chance of happening. Tennessee did a helluva job recruiting him. Now as for Big Jeff, I know him personally. He only told the CLOSEST people to him where he was going. He really wasn't even considering UGA because of the 3-4 move with Grantham, bout Miami was a place he really liked. He pulled a few pranks leading up to his decision, but his Head Coach and two of his closest friends, my girlfriend and one his best friends knew exactly where he was going. He was kinda upset when his family showed up in All Auburn windbreakers because he wasn't going to get to have a little more fun with it. But he let the Coaches know where he wanted to go in about Mid-December.

you do realize i was kidding ... right?  the whole star reference was supposed to bump up the "funny" a little ... you should meet me in real life, i am even less funny than in the black and white computer world ...

Which is completely fine.  I don't doubt you're a funny individual.  It wasn't necessarily towards you, but just in general.  Take it how you will!

One big bird on a message board is worth two in the bush.  ;D ;D ;D:P :P :P:we::thumbsup:

2 would send Golf further over the edge

I don't see a problem with discussing a players "stars" or ratings as long as everyone realizes that all the ratings are just the personal opinions of one or a few people who follow recruiting. On the fans side, recruiting is exciting because you get to see glimpses of your teams future and you get to have a little extra competition with other schools to see who can sign a "better" class. I agree that you don't want fans to form their opinions of a kid based just on his recruiting ranking, but I don't see any problem with talking about ratings or being excited for committed prospects that are highly rated.

We still need 15 more players. Plenty of big dogs can still walk late Iin January 2012. Of course I am like the others - I WANT MY COMMITMENTS AND I WANT THEM NOW!

:P

One big bird on a message board is worth two in the bush.  ;D ;D ;D:P :P :P:we::thumbsup:

food-smiley-018.gif

Hey Golf, what was life like before microwaves...  ;D

food-smiley-018.gif

or power and running water

food-smiley-018.gif

Or fire?

food-smiley-018.gif

kngt.gif

Archived