The "I Hate Auburn" Guy at Media Days

AUBigCat

This is so pathetic.  I honestly feel bad for guys like this.  Its really sad and kinda funny.

i-hate-auburn-t-shirt-guy-a2e28ac69ce12790.jpg

HOOVER, Alabama -- Meet the "I Hate Auburn" T-shirt guy. His name is Eric Blackerby. He's a 28-year-old fork lift operator from Columbiana. He's a huge Alabama fan.

And he's the latest symbol in the Iron Bowl rivalry. That tends to happen when you get shot down by Nick Saban in a press conference at SEC Media Days for wearing a shirt.

Saban was asked what he would tell the person wearing the "I Hate Auburn" shirt in the lobby.

"I would tell him it's not personal, that it really isn't personal," Saban said. "That is not really the way that we should respect the opponents that we have."

More painful words couldn't have been etched in Blackerby's obituary if you tried.

"I felt this big when I heard he said that," Blackerby said, holding his fingers an inch apart while standing in the front row behind ropes in The Wynfrey lobby. "It's like I went to church and God told me He didn't approve."

Only in Alabama.

Blackerby wants Saban to know this: He's not a Harvey Updyke.

"I'm not going to poison no trees," Blackerby said. "I don't agree with that. I wrote a blog condemning the destruction of any landmark at any university. It's not cool. I'm just extremely passionate. SEC football is a religion, and that's the difference to me."

Yet when you talk to Blackerby, it's clear Alabama football is very personal. And while there are very few people who would actually poison a tree, the extent to which some Alabama and Auburn fans attach their self-esteem toward a football game is crazy.

"At times things do get out of hand when it comes to the Iron Bowl rivalry," Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower said. "Sometimes just kind of think, 'This is going to be because of a football game? Y'all are really going to do this?' At the same time, I love it. Whenever they come together, you never know what's going to happen."

Alabama blowing a 24-point lead to Auburn last November hit Blackerby -- hard.

"Honestly and truthfully, that was probably my lowest moment as a Bama fan," he said. "When that game was over, I deleted like 30 friends on Facebook. I've lost friends. I was extremely childish and I didn't take that very well at all for about a week."

About a week before the tornadoes hit the state of Alabama in April, Blackerby received the "I Hate Auburn" T-shirt in the mail.

"The tornado happened and I was like, for a month, I don't want to wear nothing that says I hate Auburn," Blackerby said. "I put it in a drawer. Leading up to this I said I'll go to SEC Media Days and wear this shirt. It will be a fun environment."

Blackerby seems like a nice-enough guy. But does he really "hate" another university?

"I wanted to be known as a symbol of passion, not hatred," he said. "I would trade all of these interviews if Nick Saban would come talk to me about it."

Blackerby got part of his wish, as later Saban gave him an autograph after he told the coach he didn't mean any disrespect to Auburn. Saban's response: "All right."

Blackerby blogs on something called Saban Sidewalk. He says he's about to line up a gig as an Alabama feature writer for a new website.

"I guess I'm about to go to games and write like you guys," Blackerby said.

Lord help us.

I bet most of us could enjoy a beer with this guy, tee shirt or not.

depends, is he buying?

Blackerby blogs on something called Saban Sidewalk. He says he's about to line up a gig as an Alabama feature writer for a new website.

Sounds like he may be working for Clay Travis

"And while there are very few people who would actually poison a tree, the extent to which some Alabama and Auburn fans attach their self-esteem toward a football game is crazy."

No, no, NO!!!   It's NOT Auburn fans that attach all of their self-worth to football!    I despise it when the media says the Auburn/Alabama rivalry full of crazy people.   They only have it half right!

I think this is a really passionate fan who made a mistake and now is just loving the attention. This isnt on the level of Updyke, but it is sad.

I think this happened. The night before, this guy goes to his chest-of-drawers(he probably calls it his "chesterdrawers"), gets the shirt out, throws it in the dryer to "knock the wrinkles out", lays it on the end of his bed, all the while smiling with bammer pride from ear to ear, thinking, "Coach saban is going to think I am the greatest fan in the history of the bammer program!" He sets his alarm for 5:00am on the nose,"'cause I ain't gon be late to git in the front row for coach to see my shirt!" He gets up, eats his "ceril" as he calls it, puts the shirt back in the dryer, turns the dryer back on to make sure all the wrinkles are "knocked out", all the while having the bammer fight song playing on repeat in the background, giddy with anticipation, he takes the shirt out, looks at it and smiles, daydreaming about what his great leader will say to him as he sees the shirt for the first time, and puts it on. "Gametime." he says before he exits his Winnebago. Only to have his heart ripped out by the coach that he would sell his own mama to please. Roll Turd Blackerby, Roll Turd.

"I wanted to be known as a symbol of passion, not hatred"....even though it clearly says "I hate Auburn."  Three words:  What.  A.  Joke. 

Saban was asked what he would tell the person wearing the "I Hate Auburn" shirt in the lobby.

"I would tell him it's not personal, that it really isn't personal," Saban said. "That is not really the way that we should respect the opponents that we have."

anyone remember what the sideline reporter heard saban tell a db in the 08 iron bowl. i believe it was "do you know how much i hate those _______ guys?!!!! while he held his shirt collar.

I think this happened. The night before, this guy goes to his chest-of-drawers(he probably calls it his "chesterdrawers"), gets the shirt out, throws it in the dryer to "knock the wrinkles out", lays it on the end of his bed, all the while smiling with bammer pride from ear to ear, thinking, "Coach saban is going to think I am the greatest fan in the history of the bammer program!" He sets his alarm for 5:00am on the nose,"'cause I ain't gon be late to git in the front row for coach to see my shirt!" He gets up, eats his "ceril" as he calls it, puts the shirt back in the dryer, turns the dryer back on to make sure all the wrinkles are "knocked out", all the while having the bammer fight song playing on repeat in the background, giddy with anticipation, he takes the shirt out, looks at it and smiles, daydreaming about what his great leader will say to him as he sees the shirt for the first time, and puts it on. "Gametime." he says before he exits his Winnebago. Only to have his heart ripped out by the coach that he would sell his own mama to please. Roll Turd Blackerby, Roll Turd.

^^^BINGO!!!!!^^^

I think you need to correct your story- there is no way dumbo here got to be a biscuit away from 350 lbs by eating "ceril". 

I bet most of us could enjoy a beer with this guy, tee shirt or not.

depends, is he buying?

^^^This would be the only reason to partake...^^^

I think this is a really passionate fan who made a mistake and now is just loving the attention. This isnt on the level of Updyke, but it is sad.

Another good reason to kick 'em in the nurtz!

I think you need to correct your story- there is no way dumbo here got to be a biscuit away from 350 lbs by eating "ceril". 

And there is no way this guy put anything in the dryer to knock the wrinkles out.  Do you really think he cares about wrinkles?  Only if you can eat them!

A friend who is a Big Ten guy saw this story and thought it was the dumbest thing in the world, that people are blowing this out of proportion. The shirt itself shouldnt be a big deal. None of us have a Buck Fama T-shirt? All of his interviews have made the story more than it was, because he doesn not know how to shut up. I guess the difference is this is a grown man and not some stupid kid.

I am so hoping this guy will just go away, but in today's climate, we are probably going to see a lot more of him.

Didn't you read any of the stories about him...he will be reporting from games this year for ANOTHER website starting up.  They're like roaches...they're everywhere!

I am so hoping this guy will just go away, but in today's climate, we are probably going to see a lot more of him.

Didn't you read any of the stories about him...he will be reporting from games this year for ANOTHER website starting up.  They're like roaches...they're everywhere!

Archived