Phillip Marshall - Troubled Times

around4ever

Thats a damn good article by Mr. Marshall. I grew up reading his columns in the Huntsville Times and was saddened deeply when he left to start a a premium board. I hold no writter before or since in higher regaurd. And yes, his article is spot on. The only problem I have with it is does he think there is the slightest chance the other side will stop what they are doing. Seems they have been doing it before the bahr was around so why would they stop now? If they stop then ok. However until then what other choice does the Auburn Family have?  :dunno: Like I said in another thread, the only way to get a bully to stop picking on you is to hit right back in the nose.

All this talk about the SEC adding teams

I think moving us to the east and playing

The turds on a rotation and maybe in Atlanta

Is the only answer.First of all it's not because

Were scared of them or intimidated by them that

I recommend this,it might be the only thing that

Saves our beloved Auburn University.WDE

It is a good article. I'll have to say, I didn't like it one bit that the turds won the NC in 2009, but I knew we would be on their heels as far as us being a BCS NC. So it didn't hurt that badly. But what the state of Alabama accomplished by having back to back national champions and back to back Heisman winners is stuff of legend. And instead of the bammers taking pride in the great accomplishment that this was, they started spewing hate and venom at Auburn. For that sole reason, I hope they lose the 2009 NC and they hurt for a long time.

I also agree with Phillip, but during Bammers National Title run year before last, Auburn fans were not dragging them through the mud. We were watching football and pulling for our team to win if not then we just waited for the next game to be played. See thats how Auburn fans are. We do not walk around like we should have a monopoly on college football, like the Bammers do and always have. Auburn people can handle the Bammers having a good year every now and then, but they can not. If the Auburn vs Alabama or SEC gets hurt by stuff it will be at the hands of the Bammers point blank. WAR EAGLE!!!!!

Phillip Marshall makes some good points. The threat of Mutual Assured Destruction was a powerful deterrent during the Cold War. I am afraid however, that the Updykes have pushed the button with all of the Cam allegations and we are retaliating. It may be too late to recall the missiles. I am afraid that if both fan bases keep digging, we may all get buried.

WDE

Very good article, but I wish Mr. Marshall would have addressed the subject of some of his own co-horts in the state sports media who are still attacking CGC and the Auburn football program after the Newton controversy first came out.  They are just as responsible for the climate in the state as any fan.

Very good article, but I wish Mr. Marshall would have addressed the subject of some of his own co-horts in the state sports media who are still attacking CGC and the Auburn football program after the Newton controversy first came out.  They are just as responsible for the climate in the state as any fan.

I agree....and add PF to that guilty column for unabashedly stirring the hate pot.

I think the Toomer's Trees poisoning incident finally blew the lid off, and hasn't helped any effort to calm things down. It was a very deep wound, and Auburn fans have not healed yet.

You don't calm waters by throwing more stones in. 

A lot of truth to his article.  Alabama declared war, we have no choice but to fight fire with fire.  It is really sad because it will end up hurting both of us. 

Bammers should have learned there lesson, but sadly they have not.

Thats a damn good article by Mr. Marshall. I grew up reading his columns in the Huntsville Times and was saddened deeply when he left to start a a premium board. I hold no writter before or since in higher regaurd. And yes, his article is spot on. The only problem I have with it is does he think there is the slightest chance the other side will stop what they are doing. Seems they have been doing it before the bahr was around so why would they stop now? If they stop then ok. However until then what other choice does the Auburn Family have?  :dunno: Like I said in another thread, the only way to get a bully to stop picking on you is to hit right back in the nose.

I grew up reading Phillip`s dad`s columns in the B`ham papers years ago. Phillip had a good teacher. I have known and respected Phillip for years. He was with the paper here in Montgomery before going to Huntsville. he`s a good man also.

You don't calm waters by throwing more stones in. 

No you don't, but the good kid can only take so much picking on and getting beat up before he explodes in a rampage.

I speak from experience. It wasn't pretty for the other guy.

I grew up reading Phillip`s dad`s columns in the B`ham papers years ago. Phillip had a good teacher. I have known and respected Phillip for years. He was with the paper here in Montgomery before going to Huntsville. he`s a good man also.

Never knew Phil's dad. We didn't start getting the B'ham papers up here until a few years ago. Right before the Post Hearld went out of business. Did he write for the News or the Post Hearld? One things for sure, Montgomery lost a good one. When Phillip Marshall and John Pruett left the Huntsville Times I quit buying. I have and always will boycott any paper that uses Evan Bammerberry for its beat writer. As a matter of fact the only papers I buy now are B'ham News on Football Sundays and the occasional Gasden Times just to read Jimmy Smothers' columns. I've been collecting papers for near a decade now. Yea I know, what a hobby, huh? However, I keep telling my wife one day I'm gonna make them into a giant collage to cover my walls in my Auburn room/man cave (which I really plan on doing). Its the only way I can convince her not to throw them out. 

Benny Marshall was sports editor for the Birmingham News. Lumpkin was sports editor for the Post Herald. I always enjoyed reading both.

That was back in the day when if a coach said "off the record" it was never heard or read.  Nothing is off the record these days. 

Never knew Phil's dad. We didn't start getting the B'ham papers up here until a few years ago. Right before the Post Hearld went out of business. Did he write for the News or the Post Hearld? One things for sure, Montgomery lost a good one. When Phillip Marshall and John Pruett left the Huntsville Times I quit buying. I have and always will boycott any paper that uses Evan Bammerberry for its beat writer. As a matter of fact the only papers I buy now are B'ham News on Football Sundays and the occasional Gasden Times just to read Jimmy Smothers' columns. I've been collecting papers for near a decade now. Yea I know, what a hobby, huh? However, I keep telling my wife one day I'm gonna make them into a giant collage to cover my walls in my Auburn room/man cave (which I really plan on doing). Its the only way I can convince her not to throw them out. 

I have wanted my man cave for a long time!  Trying to buy a house and man cave area is a selling point!  If they only knew! 

All this talk about the SEC adding teams

I think moving us to the east and playing

The turds on a rotation and maybe in Atlanta

Is the only answer.First of all it's not because

Were scared of them or intimidated by them that

I recommend this,it might be the only thing that

Saves our beloved Auburn University.WDE

You know...I've been hearing this talk of Texas A&M maybe coming to the SEC.  You don't think that Slive already knows that the turds are going to get the death penalty and he's making contingency plans?  Hmmmmm.

What the bammer-centric nation needs is a gigantic rubber room. AU's BCSNC has every one, and I mean every one, of them foaming at the mouth. Madness. Insanity. Their entire fanbase has gone over the edge. An obsession that only AU's destruction will cure.  Pitiful, just pitiful!

What the bammer-centric nation needs is a gigantic rubber room. AU's BCSNC has every one, and I mean every one, of them foaming at the mouth. Madness. Insanity. Their entire fanbase has gone over the edge. An obsession that only AU's destruction will cure.  Pitiful, just pitiful!

^^ this ^^

IMO, there has never been anything in college football like what they are doing and they are using (or is that abusing)  'newfangled things', particularly the Internet with web sites, blogs, and message boards to do it.  There probably needs to be a new word to describe this phenomenon and the closest that I can come up with is terrorists, or in this case 'Talibammers'.  Whatever it is, it reeks of mislead mythomaniacs [one with a mental disorder that has a tendency to lie, exaggerate, or relate incredible imaginary adventures as if they had really happened].  Being close enough to it to recognize these names, this is one way I see to describe it:

Danny Sheridan = Scott Moore = Harvey Updyke = Talibammers = unethical, dishonest haters that are trying to damage or destroy Auburn.

^^ this ^^

IMO, there has never been anything in college football like what they are doing and they are using (or is that abusing)  'newfangled things', particularly the Internet with web sites, blogs, and message boards to do it.  There probably needs to be a new word to describe this phenomenon and the closest that I can come up with is terrorists, or in this case 'Talibammers'.  Whatever it is, it reeks of mislead mythomaniacs [one with a mental disorder that has a tendency to lie, exaggerate, or relate incredible imaginary adventures as if they had really happened].  Being close enough to it to recognize these names, this is one way I see to describe it:

Danny Sheridan = Scott Moore = Harvey Updyke = Talibammers = unethical, dishonest haters that are trying to damage or destroy Auburn.

I can't help but believe that their time is coming.  It will be sooner rather than later.

Comment by JCooley

The speed in which technology is changing the way we are communicating with one another is astounding. While growing up and being educated in Alabama (1950's), football was just a diversion, albeit an important diversion. Reading the Sunday morning newspaper (The Birmingham News) was a weekly ritual. We got our stories through very professional filters, particularly Benny Marshall and some others. Now, there are "no filters" and we're getting bombarded every day with fringe demagogues whose sole purpose is to rant about their sports theology and denigrate the opposition, particularly when it comes to football....Alabama football. Most likely, these idiots are not remotely associated (alumni nor significant contributors) with the universities for which they profess their love and devotion. They attach their life's meaning and self worth with "their" team, where "feeling good" at all cost becomes their mantra. The internet is their conduit for self fulfillment and when things aren't going well, whatever restores their sense of well being, we're going to hear. Never mind the truth or any sense of balance; let's make stuff up and see what sticks (and absorb the fifteen minutes of fame). The fringe group has always been there, it's just that there were filters in place so their message never migrated. So, how do you stop this destructive train wreck from happening? It's difficult, but, identify the fringe parties, isolate them, don't read or buy their theology, boycott their sponsors and never remain silent. End Quote...

This gentleman JCooley nails the underlying condition engendering the entire environment...

Phillip brings about very astute points and his concerns about the toxicity of the climate are very real.

Boycott from the fray, as pointed out by JCooley, from the more temperate and imperturable, while still engaging the irrational lunatic fringe with intelligent and balanced thought and speech is the most useful tool we have.

Please note reply #19 in the thread "Why give them the satisfaction" started by Big Bird to see some of my thoughts on this matter.

Comment by JCooley

The speed in which technology is changing the way we are communicating with one another is astounding. While growing up and being educated in Alabama (1950's), football was just a diversion, albeit an important diversion. Reading the Sunday morning newspaper (The Birmingham News) was a weekly ritual. We got our stories through very professional filters, particularly Benny Marshall and some others. Now, there are "no filters" and we're getting bombarded every day with fringe demagogues whose sole purpose is to rant about their sports theology and denigrate the opposition, particularly when it comes to football....Alabama football. Most likely, these idiots are not remotely associated (alumni nor significant contributors) with the universities for which they profess their love and devotion. They attach their life's meaning and self worth with "their" team, where "feeling good" at all cost becomes their mantra. The internet is their conduit for self fulfillment and when things aren't going well, whatever restores their sense of well being, we're going to hear. Never mind the truth or any sense of balance; let's make stuff up and see what sticks (and absorb the fifteen minutes of fame). The fringe group has always been there, it's just that there were filters in place so their message never migrated. So, how do you stop this destructive train wreck from happening? It's difficult, but, identify the fringe parties, isolate them, don't read or buy their theology, boycott their sponsors and never remain silent. End Quote...

This gentleman JCooley nails the underlying condition engendering the entire environment...

Phillip brings about very astute points and his concerns about the toxicity of the climate are very real.

Boycott from the fray, as pointed out by JCooley, from the more temperate and imperturable, while still engaging the irrational lunatic fringe with intelligent and balanced thought and speech is the most useful tool we have.

Please note reply #19 in the thread "Why give them the satisfaction" started by Big Bird to see some of my thoughts on this matter.

I agree with the author's take on the current situation. As AU fans, we seem to be somewhat at a crossroads of what to do and how to handle this new "social media, blogging, etc" world. We have been attacked relentlessly by numerous types of media outlets. We understand the driving force behind the veracity and longevity of the attacks is a similar size institution in the state with an ABNORMALLY large fringe of lunatics (to the point it is not as much of a fringe as a base) who do tie their selfworth to the institution's football team. This fringe/base is bad for college sports in general and the SEC in particular and doublely or triplely so for AU. However, the problem is what can be done about it? Can they be ignored until they quieten down? It appears they cannot as their obsession, hatred, and above all insecurity runs way too deep. If they cannot be ignored (which is the conclusion I have come to), they must be dealt with. The only solution I can see in all honesty is to cause harm to the program they follow so they see the end result of the course of action they have taken and the response they have literally forced. The situation is a slippery slope that quite frankly "sucks".

Again, what do you do? Do you just turn the other cheek and take it because you are smarter than the annoying thorn in your side that is has become infected? You can see (with the clarity they cannot because frankly they are not very intelligent) the end game which results in both programs becoming lesser programs in many ways. Public perception, national scrutiny, and eventually sanctions and probation. We have tried that many times and it has not been working for a very long time now. Not just with Cam, but all the way back to the late 1950's when Alabama coaches played a key role in our second probation. Then again under Bryant. Finally Ramsey got us on probation with help and support from the Alabama media and attorneys. We had enough at that point and returned the favor with Gene Jelks. That is the course the current situation is heading again (IMO).

The posts here make v. good points.  I do not know how to get the genie back in the bottle of civility in our rivalry.

You can't avoid them either. I decided to be Pawwwl free a long time ago. But the explosion of sources is everywhere.  The point that the lunatic fringe and marginalized segement of their fan base now has the ability to access the public discussion is alarming and true.  The national press is both lazy and afraid to be scooped by a rival and therefore keeps every potential bombshell story fresh to their audience and on their byline .

I do not think we have any choice except to make information and facts available to those sources that negatively represent Bama's recruiting and methods though.  This is a slippery slope and one that led to the downfall of the old SWC.  However, waiting for them to grow up and move on just leaves us open to be their favorite punching bag.

I for one have had enough.  

If I make the decision to boycott every  sponsor I'd spend my life cross referencing half the yellow pages.  Besides some are specialty providers that I'd use because they medically for instance are a good providers.  

WDE

TigernBham, you make good points I agree with about the national media. Their laziness and fear of being "scooped" leads to extremely irresponsible reporting which in turns lends certain credibility to the garbage they report.

Also, I grew up in Bham. I got away from the state completely about a decade ago. I will say that it helped give me perspective and maybe more importantly lessened my dislike of bama and their fans to a large extent. I did not really think about them much anymore without having to be around their fans (there are practically none in south florida - for years I have seen more AU grads here than any bama fans out at sports bars, etc). Over the last 3-4 years in particular it seems like I am back in alabama to an extent with all the social media, message boards, etc.

Maybe I just need to take a break from reading message boards, blogs, etc. But I still love Auburn University and it is hard to separate the love and support for AU (and its athletics) from the bombardment of the lunatic fan fringe/base that is assaulting my University.

Archived