Auburn Bans Smoking...

autigger

Another example of "chicken little" making personal infringement laws. People smoke in bars, if you don't want to smell smoke, GET DRUNK AT HOME.

I live in Auburn and I am glad they passed this ordinance. There are more non smokers than smokers, I hate eating in a restaurant smelling smoke! The restaurants in town that are already non smoking are very busy and crowded all the time. If the alternative is chosen, it would hurt business because some people will not go to a smoking restaurant, with no separate section for smokers.

If you want to get drunk and smoke, why don't you do it at home and not endanger others lives.

I live in Auburn and I am glad they passed this ordinance. There are more non smokers than smokers, I hate eating in a restaurant smelling smoke! The restaurants in town that are already non smoking are very busy and crowded all the time. If the alternative is chosen, it would hurt business because some people will not go to a smoking restaurant, with no separate section for smokers.

If you want to get drunk and smoke, why don't you do it at home and not endanger others lives.

Another shining example of missing the point of my short post. I specifically stated "BARS". Restaurants, I feel, should always be non-snoking. But if you go to a place to drink and have a good time, then you should expect smoke. Being originally from Prattville, I'm glad to see they addressed it without forcing their own views on everyone. We have to remember that we can't save people from themselves. And we have a choice as to where we spend our money. I guess now Auburn needs to bring back witch hunts and burnings, cause they are bad too. <_<

As a former smoker and one who can't stand the smell now (in the air, in my clothes, etc) I disagree with the ban totally in Bars. I like the idea of no smoking in restaurants, though. I feel that if you want to have a drink w/o the smoke go to a restaurant. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of those in the bars are really not bothered/concerned with the smoke. You don't take families to bars like you would a restaurant. Finally, it should be the decision of the people not the law makers to come up with a ban like this. If the people of Auburn want it that is fine, but don't just decide for them. I personally try to avoid smoke filled environments.

I agree with the ban in restaurants, and the part about bars doesn;t bother me either way.

What bothers me most is the lawsuits that smokers are bringing against tobacco companies. Yes, we live in a free society and you're allowed to smoke. But we have known the dangers since the American Cancer Society started it's anti-smoking campaign in the mi 1960s. I feel that if someone wants to smoke, it's his/her right. But don't expect me to foot the bill when you have health problems later in life. And don't use my tax money to sue these companies because you didn't seek help for your addiction.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with smokers. I have a problem with those who play the victim card after exercising their freedom.

I don't think it is the governments place to regulate a PRIVATE business. If non-smokers don't like the smoke in a restauraunt or bar then stop going. If the owners don't like the decrease in business then they will regulate their business accordingly in order to increase business.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the smell of smoke but if I get into a restaurant and smoke is bothering me, I ask the waitress to move to another table, but usually the non-smoking section isn't a problem in this regard.

I also think a lot of the second hand smoke studies are incorrect. Not that there isn't any harm caused but I think the danger is greatly inflated.

That ban was in effect here in Montgomery for a while, but "The Brew Pub" protested and they lifted the ban. In Prattville, the law is that a restaurant has to make a choice to be all non smoking or smoking, no half and half. As a smoker, I find it as respect not to smoke in a restaurant, never will I smoke in a restaurant, simply because I know that others don't like it and I am only in a restaurant for an hour or so.....I can wait until I get in my car.

I don't think it is the governments place to regulate a PRIVATE business.  If non-smokers don't like the smoke in a restauraunt or bar then stop going.  If the owners don't like the decrease in business then they will regulate their business accordingly in order to increase business.

And therein lies the beauty of the Prattville plan. As woods said, the business chooses whether it is smoking or non-smoking and then lives or not with that decision. Of course, in Prattville, all but a couple or so chose to be non-smoking. NONE of the Waffle Houses are smoking!!!

I think Bucks Place is all smoking. You do have a choice of where to sit though, the Light smoking section, or the Heavy smoking section. That is right isn't it TigerAl? I haven't actually been there, but my sister has and thats what she told me was going on over there.

I haven't eaten there since the change. I know Pratt Pub is smoking and I think Jim's is also. If Buck's is then Country's probably would be too. Same owner. Mmmm, maybe I'll need to research this today at lunch!!!

Florida is now non-smoking in restuarants and establishments that primarily serve food. Even though the liberterian streak in me says the owner should be able to choose, I really, really, really like not having to put up with the smoke...

Why should bars be any different than a restaurant??? I HATE going to bars to watch my hubby throw darts because I REEK when we leave!! But I enjoy watching him throw darts, and I like certain bars, and I would enjoy them even more if they were non-smoking. And now that I am pregnant, I can't go to watch him throw at all because of the smoke.

Why do drinking and smoking have to be a package deal just because some people do it? Not all of us smoke when we drink. Why protect eaters from smoke but not drinkers and socializers?

Why should bars be any different than a restaurant??? I HATE going to bars to watch my hubby throw darts because I REEK when we leave!! But I enjoy watching him throw darts, and I like certain bars, and I would enjoy them even more if they were non-smoking. And now that I am pregnant, I can't go to watch him throw at all because of the smoke.

Why do drinking and smoking have to be a package deal just because some people do it? Not all of us smoke when we drink. Why protect eaters from smoke but not drinkers and socializers?

I think the point is you're a big girl, protect yourself. In the case of Pville, they had a 'choice', as owners. And you as a patron have a choice. Now if you want to ask society to feel for you because you want a place to "socialize" that doesn't include smoke, you may find the support you receive to be light. A bar is a bar always has been always will be.

Ahh, TigerAl, Jim's is still open???? too bad they had to tear down the drive-in. A Sunday movie and a Jim's greasy burger afterwards are missed by many. And I'll have to go to the Waffle House there. I haven't been in years because of the smoke.

I don't think it is the governments place to regulate a PRIVATE business. If non-smokers don't like the smoke in a restauraunt or bar then stop going. If the owners don't like the decrease in business then they will regulate their business accordingly in order to increase business.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the smell of smoke but if I get into a restaurant and smoke is bothering me, I ask the waitress to move to another table, but usually the non-smoking section isn't a problem in this regard.

I also think a lot of the second hand smoke studies are incorrect. Not that there isn't any harm caused but I think the danger is greatly inflated.

I disagree with you about second hand smoke reports being exaggerated. A friend of mines mother never smoked a day in her life, was a waitress and had to work in places like Waffle House. She died of lung cancer due to second hand smoke inhalation.

Why should non-smokers be subjected to smoke even in a bar. Why does drinking and smoking go together, and why should (in the earlier post) I expect to have smoking if I want to have a good time.

I know one thing, if most of the restaurants (not bars, since the earlier post reminded me they were talking of bars) were smoking here in Auburn, they would lose a lot of business. The Brick Oven, The Grille, all the fast food places like McDonalds, Wendys. Arbys, Chick-fil-A, are all non smoking restaurants and they are always busy!

I think it is about time someone stood up to the minority of smokers and told them to light up elsewhere. People still fly, and they can't smoke on airplanes!

I for one don't want to breathe the polluted, stinky air of smoke. When the students at my school go to the bowling alley for their bowling unit in PE, they reek of smoke when they return!!! What kind of message are we sending them?

I don't think it is the governments place to regulate a PRIVATE business.  If non-smokers don't like the smoke in a restauraunt or bar then stop going.  If the owners don't like the decrease in business then they will regulate their business accordingly in order to increase business.

I also think a lot of the second hand smoke studies are incorrect.  Not that there isn't any harm caused but I think the danger is greatly inflated.

I disagree with you about second hand smoke reports being exaggerated. A friend of mines mother never smoked a day in her life, was a waitress and had to work in places like Waffle House. She died of lung cancer due to second hand smoke inhalation.

Why should non-smokers be subjected to smoke even in a bar. Why does drinking and smoking go together, and why should (in the earlier post) I expect to have smoking if I want to have a good time.

I know one thing, if most of the restaurants (not bars, since the earlier post reminded me they were talking of bars) were smoking here in Auburn, they would lose a lot of business. The Brick Oven, The Grille, all the fast food places like McDonalds, Wendys. Arbys, Chick-fil-A, are all non smoking restaurants and they are always busy!

I think it is about time someone stood up to the minority of smokers and told them to light up elsewhere. People still fly, and they can't smoke on airplanes!

I for one don't want to breathe the polluted, stinky air of smoke. When the students at my school go to the bowling alley for their bowling unit in PE, they reek of smoke when they return!!! What kind of message are we sending them?

AUartlady, as a longtime smoker I still have to admit that I wholeheartedly agree with you. My vice should not have to be yours also. Unlike many habits that can be brushed off with "If you don't like it, go somewhere else," I don't think smoking falls into that category. I'll admit, I don't always like my relegation to second-class citizenship, but I do try to be sympathetic to the feelings and health of non-smokers.

I also believe that second-hand smoke is dangerous and I feel no pity for tobacco companies paying out enormous lawsuits because they lied to their customers and added ingredients to make it more addictive.

I'm glad that this passed. I can't stand when people smoke while I eat, it ruins my meal. I can understand some people being upset about the bar situation, but Im glad the bars are added into that.

Course I'm a Exercise Science major so I'm sorta bound to agree with this move :D

Archived