Playing off blocks?

AUinfusion

As we all sit here analyzing AU's defensive woes, something else I noticed this week is that our players seem to be unable to play off the block when the play runs right beside them. No one seems to be able to slide of the block and close down a gap. There were numerous times when I thought "OK, we're all in position and have it shut down, tackle for no gain", only to see the ball carrier run right between two engaged defenders. It looked like the defenders were glued to their blockers. We are definitely not going to stop a decent running back until our young guys learn to slide off those blocks when the RB makes his move.

As we all sit here analyzing AU's defensive woes, something else I noticed this week is that our players seem to be unable to play off the block when the play runs right beside them. No one seems to be able to slide of the block and close down a gap. There were numerous times when I thought "OK, we're all in position and have it shut down, tackle for no gain", only to see the ball carrier run right between two engaged defenders. It looked like the defenders were glued to their blockers. We are definitely not going to stop a decent running back until our young guys learn to slide off those blocks when the RB makes his move.

It's been noticeable,yes.

Archived