What I saw

ronau57

Auburn won another hard fought game.  This tells me more about the abilities and character of our ENTIRE coaching staff than any other stat.

The Good:

Lutz played exceptional an now can be called Mr. Clutch

We ran the ball better and blocked better.

Dyer played hurt again and showed a lot of heart

Not many penalties

Frazier was a big factor

Special teams dominated our win

Offense controlled the time of possesion which helped our D

Defense made some great plays near the line of scrimmage

Trotter made some exceptional throws

Spurrier mismanaged the clock in the last 2 minutes - took a timeout that cost him a shot at a tie

The bad:

Trotter made some poor decisions - he has only been the leader 5 games at this level - this was a very hostile environment so cut him some slack - Cam or Sullivan may have made nearly as many

We were called for dubious penalties and SC got away with lots of non-calls

Blake was injured

The Ugly:

AU wins another ugly game

War Eagle!!! :yay:

The bad:  Our O line played their worst game all year, not opening up holes for the run, and not giving Trotter enough time to pass. 

Other than that, I didn't see too much bad out there.   

We missed a extra point.

I didn't like the fake fg right before half.  You take those 3 points, imo.  We were going to get the ball first in the second half too so the possibility of being up 19-6 shortly into the second half was there.

Our three INTs came on their side of the field too, two of them inside the 30.  Gotta protect the ball better when we cross midfield.

The bad:  Our O line played their worst game all year, not opening up holes for the run, and not giving Trotter enough time to pass. 

Other than that, I didn't see too much bad out there.   

I disagree about our OL playing bad. We rushed for 246 yards against a very good DL on the road and against a top 10 team. Dyer was a work horse and had 141 of those rushing yards. The pass blocking could have been better. Trotter could have helped it by staying in the pocket and not holding the ball too long. There were times when he rolled out into the teeth of the rush.

Trotter is an inexperienced player with a lot of room to grow like the majority of our team. Ingram and Clowney are great players who will cause headaches for a lot of QBs in their careers.

We played a ton better yesterday. Add in the fact that Alshon did push off on that TD(whether it was a big push off or not he still put his hands on his back and got better position because of it) and all the holding that never got called....I'm excited for October.

WDE! We Comin'!

We got that many yards because we ran the ball 67 times.  We only avgd 3.7 ypc I think.  I was in the endzone in the upperdeck and we rarely opened any hole big enough for a nice gain.  Dyer gained many of those yards on his own.

I agree that Trotter left the pocket too early several times, but the D line broke through a lot.

I agree people need to get off the O-Line that was a great D line we faced. Yes we will face better. Yes we will struggle against them as well. They will get better, however, and I am convinced afterseeing the improvement in yesterdays game I will say that we will exit October an entirely different team.

We got that many yards because we ran the ball 67 times.  We only avgd 3.7 ypc I think.  I was in the endzone in the upperdeck and we rarely opened any hole big enough for a nice gain.  Dyer gained many of those yards on his own.

I agree that Trotter left the pocket too early several times, but the D line broke through a lot.

Still you have to give USCe DL credit and we held them offensively to their lowest output on the season, 289 yards.

Still you have to give USCe DL credit and we held them offensively to their lowest output on the season, 289 yards.

Sometimes grinding can be a good thing. It chews clock and kept our defense off the field which is something we needed to do. While homeruns are nice the ball possesion offense Auburn ran yesterday had a big part in how the defense performed. USC averaged 5.6 yards per play. USU averaged 5.3 yards per play. One team scored 13 the other scored 38. The main differences was we kept the ball more which limited their possessions and improved on 3rd downs on both sides of the ball.

I am starting to get concerned about our inability to throw down field.  I am not sure if this is by design, or if Gus doesn't trust Trotter.  As the season progresses this will be a killer.  I can't imagine if Bama can get 8/9 close and only drop 2.  Our downfield blocking also has to get better.

Archived