We'll beat Arkansas if...

Richard78

Early line is Ark by 9.5. Keys in my opinion, all pretty obvious:

O needs to control possession like the SC game to keep Ark's SEC-leading scoring and total O team off the field.

Special teams need another good day to control returner Adams and win the field position battle.

Pass D: This one will be different-SC couldn't pass, Ark definitely can.

Pass O: Ark's pass D is their weak spot. Would be great to see our passing game come alive. Can BT stretch the field vertically?

I think THE key to this game is the secondary. Wilson tore us apart last year and the defense isnt styled toward playing spread teams like Arky. Our guys better be ready to tackle in the open field, and also be ready to get some quick pressure on Wilson.

If we can get the same kind of pressure on Wilson that we got on Garcia, and our O-Line can give Trotter a little extra time, we can control the tempo of the game.  If we control the tempo of the game, I think we win.  

The only other thing we have to do is contain the short passing game.  After last week, I think we've got the long game pretty well covered.

Wilson and Petrino will be a much harder challenge.  We still have  a young team that needs to learn that on  Defense, Offense , & Special Teams to play Auburn Smash Mouth football.  That ought to do it.

We will have to play our best game of the season (to date) to have a chance to win.  Offense must control the clock and score some points.  Special teams needs to show up big.  Defense must get pressure on the QB while locking down their receivers.

I have faith in our Defense. I think we can hold them to 30pts or less. Trotter has to be more accurate for us to win. The offense is good enough to put up alot of points but Trotter has to make better decisions and give our WRs a chance. Frazier has to have another big game. He's 2011s Tim Tebow. Everyone knows he is going to run, at least 9 times out of 10, but noone can stop him. Lutz needs/deserves to get the ball more often. We have to find a way to get Benton more involved. I think he is the kind of guy that plays his best ball on gameday. He's a beast! Mason has been ice cold on KRs the last few games. We need him to man up and play with the enthusiasm he did in the first couple games. I go into every game expecting us to win. We have as much talent as anyone and our guys are getting better every second that goes by. War Eagle!

Pressure, Pressure, Pressure.... IF we can establish Pressure with 4 down linemen then we have a great shot of stopping Arky... Special Teams will be needed yet again. hopefully blake will be a go this saturday cause we could use his threat at recieving, and like this past Saturday put the O on Dyers back and pound it up the gut till someone Pukes.

Early line is Ark by 9.5. Keys in my opinion, all pretty obvious:

O needs to control possession like the SC game to keep Ark's SEC-leading scoring and total O team off the field.

Special teams need another good day to control returner Adams and win the field position battle.

Pass D: This one will be different-SC couldn't pass, Ark definitely can.

Pass O: Ark's pass D is their weak spot. Would be great to see our passing game come alive. Can BT stretch the field vertically?

hopefully dyers running this past weekend will help us on deep passess this weekend. they will hopefully key on the run more.

As the saying goes, the best defense is a good offense. Arkanasa gave up almost 400 yards rushing to a&m so if we can run the ball effectively and keep their offense off the field then we win. Well,  that and put Wilson on his butt a few times. Utilize Frazier in more than just the Wildcat offense. When he comes in the game, it almost reminds me of when Burnes used to run the Wildcat. Even I know that the majority of the time, he's going to run the ball. If he comes in and throws a pass, i"ll bet the receiver will be wide open.

We use Frazier more in the red zone, either for runs or self-fakes (where he'll fake his own run and dart a ball into the receiver's hands for the TD or first down).

As much as it pains me to say something good about the bammers, if we put pressure on him like the bammer team did and our defense keeps its intensity at the same or greater. I think the 4-3 will work again with man coverage with some disguised stunts, twists, and blitzes, maybe a few slants with lemonier, owens, nosa, and sanders.  I liked seeing Chizik get fired up on the sidelines.  It was a breath of fresh air. I would like to see frazier throw a deep one on them also.  I think that he can execute it, just give him a shot.

Blitz Blitz Blitz.  Put lots of pressure on Tyler and knock him to the ground as often as possible.

This. I wouldn't take the chance of just using a four man rush. NFL defenses blitz the best of QBs all the time, because they know if they have any amount of time they are good enough to shred the secondary apart. We need to use this mentality. Also, Dyer has got to to have  a lot of carries again. I dont see us outscoring them in a shoot-out like last year. We need ball control and turnovers. Which means tons of touches for Dyer and pressure, pressure, and more pressure. I think we can win. I just don't want to see Malzahn getting cute with his play calling and leaving our D on the field for 90+ plays anymore. The D isn't good enough to let the true Malzahn offense shine.

We run the football well.

Wilson and Petrino will be a much harder challenge.  We still have  a young team that needs to learn that on  Defense, Offense , & Special Teams to play Auburn Smash Mouth football.  That ought to do it.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

I don't see Dyer having a lot of carries this week or being all that effective if he tries after the effort he put out against South Carolina... I mean 41 carriers up the gut with him getting hit by 3 to 5 guys every time while he was fighting and scratching for every inch he could get.  That's a lot of pounding and we have Florida and LSU coming up the following weeks.  We do play a 12 game season.

I don't see Dyer having a lot of carries this week or being all that effective if he tries after the effort he put out against South Carolina... I mean 41 carriers up the gut with him getting hit by 3 to 5 guys every time while he was fighting and scratching for every inch he could get.   That's a lot of pounding and we have Florida and LSU coming up the following weeks.  We do play a 12 game season.

I think you might want to look back in the crystal ball.  I doubt dyer has 41 carries but 25-32 is about what I expect.  Tamu put up alot of yards on the ground against arky so I expect we will pound the ball as much as we can.

I don't see Dyer having a lot of carries this week or being all that effective if he tries after the effort he put out against South Carolina... I mean 41 carriers up the gut with him getting hit by 3 to 5 guys every time while he was fighting and scratching for every inch he could get.   That's a lot of pounding and we have Florida and LSU coming up the following weeks.  We do play a 12 game season.

I think you might want to look back in the crystal ball.  I doubt dyer has 41 carries but 25-32 is about what I expect.  Tamu put up alot of yards on the ground against arky so I expect we will pound the ball as much as we can.

Just for curiosity, if you picked a number for the carriers per game that you think Dyer could perform 100% at week in and week out, what would it be?  Remember that he takes a lot of contact and puts out a lot of effort in running through and dragging tacklers... he isn't running speed sweeps, dodging tacklers and using the sidelines or going to the ground to avoid hard contact.

I would guess 20 carries a game, no more than 25, and if you go heavy one week you should lighten it up the next... by that is just my guess, I'm certainly no expert.

Archived