Lolley To Admin Position

aujess07

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Thigpen moves to LB and we get a guy who can just take the DBs... sounds like Martinez and Mike Gillhamer are two names to watch out for.

Sounds like from whom? Are they actual candidates or message board hopefuls? Kidding but really are they serious candidates..?

Josh holsey is not happy... He tweeted "its funny they pull this after signing day"..

He'll get over it once Chizik makes another great hire.

If he chose Auburn just because of Lolley then that is a little troubling.

I think relationships with coaches are a huge reason why a lot of recruits choose the programs they do. It's not that they don't like the actual school, but when you develop a relationship with a certain coach its understandable if some players get upset by it.

yeah and his comment would make perfect sense had Lolley been fired. as best I can tell his office wont even move. sounds like he will still be very involved with these players. I dont get exactly what he is crying about.

Maybe our DBs will turn around for the ball now.

It's funny you mentioned this. I played Dback in high school, and have coached football for many years. I know there are two philosophies to coaching defensive backs.  One method is to read the receiver and develop a feel of when the ball is thrown by reading his eyes.  The other is to lock in on the receiver and wait until the ball arrives. It drives me crazy when the AU Dbacks keep giving up huge plays and have a low number of interceptions because they have no clue where the ball is. Hopefully this will change. Thanks to Lolly for all his hard work and I hope he is successful in his next stage in life!

It's funny you mentioned this. I played Dback in high school, and have coached football for many years. I know there are two philosophies to coaching defensive backs.  One method is to read the receiver and develop a feel of when the ball is thrown by reading his eyes.  The other is to lock in on the receiver and wait until the ball arrives. It drives me crazy when the AU Dbacks keep giving up huge plays and have a low number of interceptions because they have no clue where the ball is. Hopefully this will change. Thanks to Lolly for all his hard work and I hope he is successful in his next stage in life!

Yeah I understand the difference in philosophy but I've never agreed with solely reading a receivers eyes. If you've coached and played DB (or watched an Auburn game) then you know that not turning around is also the single-easiest way to earn a pass interference flag. With you 100%.

Speaking of coverage do we know if Coach VG will be teaching the DB's to read the recievers eyes (as in years past) or rather turn to the ball. I hate the read the recievers eye's coverage it has not seemed to work well for us. It may be what you have to use with young DB's but I still hate it.

Let me explain it to you this way: There’s two positions you can be in when you’re defending a receiver. You’re either 'in-phase' with him or you’re 'out-of-phase' with him. Now, . . .'in-phase' means that you’re pretty much even with the guy [as he runs straight downfield], but if you can see the guy’s number nearest [to] you, you’re in-phase when you’re covering him down the field. So when he gets through the move area(the move area defined being 14 to 18 yards down the field where the guy’s going to break a route in or out) we play a lot of closed coverage, [i.e.] we’re in bump-and-run a lot; we’re in that position with the guy when he gets in the move area. Now, if you’re in-phase with him when he gets into the move area, you should be become the receiver and look for the ball. That’s what you should do, and then the ball has to go through you.

If you're in the out-of phase position, which means you can’t see his near number, you can’t be even with him, then you have to play the guy’s eyes and hands for the ball because you’re not in position and if the quarterback throws it correctly [on a fade type pass] you’re not going to be able to get to the ball, you’re behind him too far.

“Now, to explain why some of the guys didn’t play the ball last week, is [this is] what FIU is really good at: If you play bump-and-run and you have pretty good corners, and they keep the guys cut off, that means my shoulder is ahead of his shoulder going down field so I can control his speed and he can’t run all over the place, [and because] I have good coverage on him, they’ll throw it to what’s called the back shoulder [fade]. By the time you turn around he catches it.

“The way the defensive back should read that is you read the guy’s upfield shoulder and when his upfield shoulder turns back you should turn into him and play the ball into him and you’ll be able to play that pattern. I think with a lot of our guys we probably over-coached that last week and did it in practice a lot. They were waiting for the guy to make the back shoulder throw when he had him cut off and they ended up not playing the ball.”

-Nick Saban

Yeah I understand the difference in philosophy but I've never agreed with solely reading a receivers eyes. If you've coached and played DB (or watched an Auburn game) then you know that not turning around is also the single-easiest way to earn a pass interference flag. With you 100%.

They aren't taught to never turn around, just to only turn around when in position (in the WR's pocket as I learned it). When you're behind the WR you're better off keeping eyes on his as you are faster if you aren't looking back, and as soon as his eyes get big or hands go up you throw your inside hand in his face or between his hands. Personally I was more of a fan of face guarding than blocking his hands. You can move your hands but it's really hard to catch something you can't see.

Didn't Oklahoma send Martinez packing? Why is that?  His secondary did get torched against the better teams this year.

Bob Stoops brought in his brother Mike after he was let go at Arizona. There wasn't room for both so Martinez resigned. His pass defense did struggle at times, especially in OU's losses. He did well as a DB coach at Georgia then was promoted to DC in 2005. Was a casualty of Mark Richt being on the hot seat in 2009. He was courted by Jim Harbaugh and Bob Stoops and decided to go to Oklahoma. He has a great history of putting DB's into the pro's and would probably thrive re-uniting with Van Gorder and under the tutelage CGC. Would be a good hire IMO.

He also is considered an elite recruiter with ties to S Florida. He played for Miami and was part of their 1983 championship team.

I hope Thigpen moves to LB and we get a guy who can just take the DBs... sounds like Martinez and Mike Gillhamer are two names to watch out for.

Sounds like from whom? Are they actual candidates or message board hopefuls? Kidding but really are they serious candidates..?

Those two were mentioned by one of the guys at 247

Speaking of coverage do we know if Coach VG will be teaching the DB's to read the recievers eyes (as in years past) or rather turn to the ball. I hate the read the recievers eye's coverage it has not seemed to work well for us. It may be what you have to use with young DB's but I still hate it.

Let me explain it to you this way: There’s two positions you can be in when you’re defending a receiver. You’re either 'in-phase' with him or you’re 'out-of-phase' with him. Now, . . .'in-phase' means that you’re pretty much even with the guy [as he runs straight downfield], but if you can see the guy’s number nearest [to] you, you’re in-phase when you’re covering him down the field. So when he gets through the move area(the move area defined being 14 to 18 yards down the field where the guy’s going to break a route in or out) we play a lot of closed coverage, [i.e.] we’re in bump-and-run a lot; we’re in that position with the guy when he gets in the move area. Now, if you’re in-phase with him when he gets into the move area, you should be become the receiver and look for the ball. That’s what you should do, and then the ball has to go through you.

If you're in the out-of phase position, which means you can’t see his near number, you can’t be even with him, then you have to play the guy’s eyes and hands for the ball because you’re not in position and if the quarterback throws it correctly [on a fade type pass] you’re not going to be able to get to the ball, you’re behind him too far.

“Now, to explain why some of the guys didn’t play the ball last week, is [this is] what FIU is really good at: If you play bump-and-run and you have pretty good corners, and they keep the guys cut off, that means my shoulder is ahead of his shoulder going down field so I can control his speed and he can’t run all over the place, [and because] I have good coverage on him, they’ll throw it to what’s called the back shoulder [fade]. By the time you turn around he catches it.

“The way the defensive back should read that is you read the guy’s upfield shoulder and when his upfield shoulder turns back you should turn into him and play the ball into him and you’ll be able to play that pattern. I think with a lot of our guys we probably over-coached that last week and did it in practice a lot. They were waiting for the guy to make the back shoulder throw when he had him cut off and they ended up not playing the ball.”

-Nick Saban

And Bird shows his true colors (plumage?)... he is actually a closet Saban lover.  FLUSH HIM!!!  ;)

-Nick Saban

And Bird shows his true colors (plumage?)... he is actually a closet Saban lover.  FLUSH HIM!!!  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIXARHjK3o8

Thank you Coach Lolley for all you have done for Auburn University, and all you will continue to do! Also, thank you for being a part of our staff that brought us a National Championship! Best wishes to you and your family!

War Eagle sir!!!!

Thank you Coach Lolley for all you have done for Auburn University, and all you will continue to do! Also, thank you for being a part of our staff that brought us a National Championship! Best wishes to you and your family!

War Eagle sir!!!!

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

As far as the hiring of a new DB coach goes, who will have final say on the hire, CGC or CVG, or will it be a meeting of the minds between the two?

Well, ultimately Coach Chizik has final say....but I think with his willingness to bring in a more hard-nose defense he will listen to VanGorder's preferences as well.

Archived