Who will be Florida's next coach?

Boss

Might I say that it doesn't matter to me? If Auburn continues to recruit and coach well, I am not frightened of Spurrier or anyone else. Not to say that we would never lose to a Spurrier-coached Florida team, if that were to happen, but I think we have become a team they would fear just a bit. We'll hold our own with anyone.

Barring a blowout win against Georgia this Saturday, Florida will have a new head coach next year. Who will it be? Here's a look at some of the candidates:

Steve Spurrier: This is the logical choice for Florida. However, it may not be that easy. It has been widely reported that Spurrier will move back to Florida next May when his son graduates from HS. Spurrier is known to be interested in the Miami Dolphins job which will likely be open at year's end. Although money should not be a problem for Florida, Spurrier will likely command in the $3.0 million range.

Bobby Petrino: He's an offensive minded coach who reminds Florida fans of Spurrier. He's proven he can win at this level and can play tough against teams such as Miami. He's coached in Florida (Jacksonville of the NFL) so he has connections there. And besides, he can probably be hired for $1.5 million or so, a bargain compared to Spurrier.

Bob Stoops: He's also a sentimental favorite like Spurrier. But I'll bet he has a substantial buyout clause at Oklahoma. And besides, he's got a very safe job there. I think he's a longshot at least.

Urban Meyer: He's going to be one the hottest coaches at the end of the season. I don't think he will coaching at Utah next year. He would be a good choice for Florida. But they better act quick. I look for him to go early.

Mike Stoops: He's got the name pedigree. But in his first season at Arizona, he's off to a 1-6 start. I think he would be a very, very long shot.

Tommy Tubberville: Don't think for a moment that Florida wouldn't come after CTT. However, I think it would be next to impossible to get CTT to leave Auburn. He has a $3.8 million buyout clause. His wife is very happy in Auburn. And I think he's going to get a nice raise in the $2.2-$2.8 million range.

Paul Finebaum: Why not? He knows more about football than any man that has ever coached the game (just ask him). And you could probably hire him for $300k-$400k.

114272[/snapback]

\

i also think that playing brandon cox in the second quarter of an sec game gives a pretty good indication that tuberville is planning on being here for a while.

Barring a blowout win against Georgia this Saturday, Florida will have a new head coach next year. Who will it be? Here's a look at some of the candidates:

Steve Spurrier: This is the logical choice for Florida. However, it may not be that easy. It has been widely reported that Spurrier will move back to Florida next May when his son graduates from HS. Spurrier is known to be interested in the Miami Dolphins job which will likely be open at year's end. Although money should not be a problem for Florida, Spurrier will likely command in the $3.0 million range.

Bobby Petrino: He's an offensive minded coach who reminds Florida fans of Spurrier. He's proven he can win at this level and can play tough against teams such as Miami. He's coached in Florida (Jacksonville of the NFL) so he has connections there. And besides, he can probably be hired for $1.5 million or so, a bargain compared to Spurrier.

Bob Stoops: He's also a sentimental favorite like Spurrier. But I'll bet he has a substantial buyout clause at Oklahoma. And besides, he's got a very safe job there. I think he's a longshot at least.

Urban Meyer: He's going to be one the hottest coaches at the end of the season. I don't think he will coaching at Utah next year. He would be a good choice for Florida. But they better act quick. I look for him to go early.

Mike Stoops: He's got the name pedigree. But in his first season at Arizona, he's off to a 1-6 start. I think he would be a very, very long shot.

Tommy Tubberville: Don't think for a moment that Florida wouldn't come after CTT. However, I think it would be next to impossible to get CTT to leave Auburn. He has a $3.8 million buyout clause. His wife is very happy in Auburn. And I think he's going to get a nice raise in the $2.2-$2.8 million range.

Paul Finebaum: Why not? He knows more about football than any man that has ever coached the game (just ask him). And you could probably hire him for $300k-$400k.

114272[/snapback]

\

i also think that playing brandon cox in the second quarter of an sec game gives a pretty good indication that tuberville is planning on being here for a while.

114403[/snapback]

Very good point!

Watch for Foley to get the axe too. I bet the UF Alumni want SOS back badly enough to get rid of Foley too.

Would Petrino abandon Lousville when he can dominate in the Big East? Also, wouldn't Petrino-gate hurt his chances of being in another coaching coup?! I think Petrino stays at Louisville.

Would Petrino abandon Lousville when he can dominate in the Big East?  Also, wouldn't Petrino-gate hurt his chances of being in another coaching coup?!  I think Petrino stays at Louisville.

114573[/snapback]

I wouldn't call this a coup as much as an outright revolt. Zook was lucky that he wasn't fired on the spot. Zook (and everyone else) knows that his time as Gator BC is short, very short...

114272[/snapback]

\

114403[/snapback]

Very good point!

Watch for Foley to get the axe too. I bet the UF Alumni want SOS back badly enough to get rid of Foley too.

114556[/snapback]

Completely agree DKW. I look for Spurrier to come back to UF.

Thinking about Spurrier. I dont think he will be as effective now as he was then. The offense that he ran back in the early to mid 90's was that stupid fun and gun crap. No one else really ran that then. I think defenses will be able to cover it alot better now. Many teams seem to run that type of offense. I think Spurrier will be decent, but not have the same results as before. I hope that UF doesnt get someone like Stoops, or the VT coach. That coach from VT is great.

One point that no one cares to bring up that someone on the UF boards has is that when Spurrier left, he burned many bridges with MANY alumni/boosters.

Granted, if Spurrier said in public that he wanted to come back he would but he knows that he would have to deal with these people again. In addition, Foley has a ego/power trip that Spurrier can't stand (though they have ate and are now somewhat friends).

Spurrier wont be coming back.

You forgot to mention the greatest coach in the SEC.

Mighty Mike Shula :puke: will be the next UF football coach. Noone else compares to him.

I've always had my reservations about Spurrier as a great game day coach. Don't get me wrong, he's a great coach and his record speaks volumes. I think his strong points centered around the ability to attract the best talent around.

I recall reading Athlon before one of the seasons in the mid 90's and every recruit that year for UF, with the exception of 1 running back(which AU wanted desperately) had some form of "All-American" designation in his bio. Spurrier ran a wide-open offense that allowed players to display their talents and they were usually just able to out-athlete 95% of the teams they played. When they got into close games, which was not often, he usually got outcoached. See UF/AU 93 and 94.

I've always had my reservations about Spurrier as a great game day coach.  Don't get me wrong, he's a great coach and his record speaks volumes.  I think his strong points centered around the ability to attract the best talent around. 

I recall reading Athlon before one of the seasons in the mid 90's and every recruit that year for UF, with the exception of 1 running back(which AU wanted desperately) had some form of "All-American" designation in his bio.  Spurrier ran a wide-open offense that allowed players to display their talents and they were usually just able to out-athlete 95% of the teams they played.  When they got into close games, which was not often, he usually got outcoached.  See UF/AU 93 and 94.

114758[/snapback]

The Old Ball Coach won at DUKE from day one... Talk about talent deprived...

I've always had my reservations about Spurrier as a great game day coach.  Don't get me wrong, he's a great coach and his record speaks volumes.  I think his strong points centered around the ability to attract the best talent around. 

I recall reading Athlon before one of the seasons in the mid 90's and every recruit that year for UF, with the exception of 1 running back(which AU wanted desperately) had some form of "All-American" designation in his bio.  Spurrier ran a wide-open offense that allowed players to display their talents and they were usually just able to out-athlete 95% of the teams they played.  When they got into close games, which was not often, he usually got outcoached.  See UF/AU 93 and 94.

114758[/snapback]

The Old Ball Coach won at DUKE from day one... Talk about talent deprived...

114759[/snapback]

Back in the Pre-FSU days that is.......

UF with Spurrier had swagger.

UF without Spurrier looks lost.

Spurrier makes a whole lot of intangibles light up that no other coach in SEC history could. (NOTE: I've never watched a Bear coached team live before.)

IMO, Dan Hawkins is the hottest coach at the end of the season....

He does so much every year without that much talent. Yeah, Meyer is a good coach, but Dan Hawkins has proven a lot more over the past couple of years...

114272[/snapback]

No offense, but Florida isn't going after Tubberville. They want a proven winner and CTT's never won a conference championship, although it seems very likely this year.

Yo'...ellis....Just one question...

troy...Troy....TROY....T R O Y ????????????????????

:D:D:D:D:D

I hope old coach satan has an iron clad contract in sewerville ! ! ! :big:

On the college football page of cbssportsline.com there is a poll asking who the next UF coach should be. He who's name shall not be spoken (the mighty midget) is one of the choices.

Maybe if we all say our prayers then Florida will hire TB. Of course it will never in a million years happen, but I would absolutely love it.

114272[/snapback]

No offense, but Florida isn't going after Tubberville. They want a proven winner and CTT's never won a conference championship, although it seems very likely this year.

114786[/snapback]

And look who shows up again....talk about a little coward.... :lol:

I just wish he would answer one question: T R O Y ? ? ? ? :D

You want to know about Troy...okay, here we go.

LSU played sloppy, with a series of mistakes, penalties and turnovers. Marcus Randall threw three interceptions two of them deep in LSU's territory. The 2nd and 3rd int were ill-advised throws that gave Troy State the ball inside LSU's 10-yard line. One led to a fg, the other a td. LSU turned the ball over four times and forced no turnovers. However, LSU outgained Troy in the game 386 yards to 150.

Plain and simple, turnovers made this game close. However, good teams find a way to overcome bad situations and win. (Oregon St., Florida & Troy). Even Auburn has had a little luck like that this year, i.e., vs. LSU. (If LSU sucks so bad then surely that cheapens Auburn's narrow defeat over LSU esp. considering the controversial penalty to end the game). Plain and simple, the LSU football experience this year has been painful as the team has still not found its identity.

But as coaching goes, enjoy the ride thus far. Wasn't it only months ago that Auburn was going behind Tubby's back to get Petrino? The irony of it all is too much because Tubby now has Auburn competing for a MNC. How fitting if Tubby left Auburn for Texas (as rumored) only after competing for a championship. At least I can say 2 SEC Championships and 1 BCS National Championship in 4 years...and the same number of wins for Saban in 4 years at LSU as Tubby in 5 years at Auburn. :blink:

I will be cheering against Auburn the rest of the year, much the same way Auburn fans were pulling against LSU. However, should Auburn win its 1st SEC Championship under Tubberville in 6 years then I will pull for Auburn to win a MNC, much the way Auburn fans pulled for LSU to win it all last year post-SECCG.

BTW, Southlink...too bad...this was supposed to be UGA's year with the Butt-brothers being seniors and all. Guess you'll have to wait another 22 years for an SEC Championship. :D:D:D:lsu:

BTW, Southlink...too bad...this was supposed to be UGA's year with the Butt-brothers being seniors and all.  Guess you'll have to wait another 22 years for an SEC Championship.

Ah well, at least we have an entire National Title since I have been alive :lol:

Even Auburn has had a little luck like that this year, i.e., vs. LSU.  (If LSU sucks so bad then surely that cheapens Auburn's narrow defeat over LSU esp. considering the controversial penalty to end the game). 

114925[/snapback]

Still can't let it go, huh? How exactly was the penalty controversial? Because it's written in the rulebook? Or because it went against LSU?

Even Auburn has had a little luck like that this year, i.e., vs. LSU.  (If LSU sucks so bad then surely that cheapens Auburn's narrow defeat over LSU esp. considering the controversial penalty to end the game). 

114925[/snapback]

Still can't let it go, huh? How exactly was the penalty controversial? Because it's written in the rulebook? Or because it went against LSU?

115087[/snapback]

Or possibly because Coach Saban was on the rules committee that adopted that particular rule. He knew about the rule but didn't think they would ever call it. :blink:

Ah well, at least we have an entire National Title since I have been alive  :lol:

114927[/snapback]

WEAK!!!

What, when you were in diapers? Keep grinding out that need to try and achieve a modern day National Title (BCS or otherwise). BTW, I wonder if Pete Carroll or any other coach for that matter would prefer to play for a National Title in any place but the Orange Bowl this year where the BCS National Championship game is being held...I presume that every coach in America had the intention of playing in Miami to start the year just like New Orleans last year. Nice try to cheapen something that you desparately want though!

Archived