Good Vibe from VanGorder

ShugMan55

Am I alone in my VanGorder defensive man-love?

This quote is from a Charles Goldberg article on al.com.

"As I go back to my years in college, I've always tried to be what some of them might consider brutally honest," he said. "In the long run, it helps them solve their problems. Don't look elsewhere. It's on you and you need to get it solved. Players who can recognize that can improve more rapidly. There's no way out if you look in the mirror -- either you're getting it done or you're not. You take responsibility and you find the ways to get it changed and improve."

I'm not on the inside of Auburn Football but this quote along with his interviews, press conferences and practice sound bites make me wonder how Georgia ever let this guy go. Funny how we got VanGorder and the got Rodney Garner, we got Pat Dye and they got Vince Dooley (sorry I'm drifting). Anyway I can't wait to see the new D. I've got a feeling that our defense is in the best hands it's been in since, well, Gene Chizik.

I'm very excited that he's here and look forward to hard-nosed Defense like we used to have. I remember just a few years ago that Auburn was widely regarded as one of the lockdown D's that everyone in the country respected and feared.

Funny how we got VanGorder and the got Rodney Garner, we got Pat Dye and they got Vince Dooley (sorry I'm drifting).

I agree with you except I don't understand this little tidbit... :headscratch:

"As I go back to my years in college, I've always tried to be what some of them might consider brutally honest," he said. "In the long run, it helps them solve their problems. Don't look elsewhere. It's on you and you need to get it solved. Players who can recognize that can improve more rapidly. There's no way out if you look in the mirror -- either you're getting it done or you're not. You take responsibility and you find the ways to get it changed and improve."

I'm not on the inside of Auburn Football but this quote along with his interviews, press conferences and practice sound bites make me wonder how Georgia ever let this guy go. Funny how we got VanGorder and the got Rodney Garner, we got Pat Dye and they got Vince Dooley (sorry I'm drifting). Anyway I can't wait to see the new D. I've got a feeling that our defense is in the best hands it's been in since, well, Gene Chizik.

THAT is the same quote that stood out to me too. The Stache is a no nonsense, no excuses, "lead follow or get the hell out of the way" type of person that I like. Perfect to build a great defense.

Funny how we got VanGorder and the got Rodney Garner, we got Pat Dye and they got Vince Dooley (sorry I'm drifting).

Just commenting on how a couple of good Auburn guys ended up at Georgia and a couple of good Georgia guys ended up at Auburn.

Just commenting on how a couple of good Auburn guys ended up at Georgia and a couple of good Georgia guys ended up at Auburn.

VanGorder played at Wayne State.

Coached at UGA as well.

I was not implying he played at Georgia only that he was a integral part of their program for a number of years. Sorry this was so confusing. This subject was not the intent of the post only a side thought.

I'm so fired up that I started growing a stache on the first day of fall practice...me and CVG could be twins now! ;D

Coached at UGA as well.

Oh you guys and your details...if I didn't know better I would think that Danny Sheridan was up in dis house! :P

Been getting great vibes off him all summer. Really happy to have him on board. I think we'll be pleased with the results this season.

Been getting great vibes off him all summer. Really happy to have him on board. I think we'll be pleased with the results this season.

Now AUFamily members will be mesmerized by her...just like the AE family was!

If I wrong, please correct me. During the Pat Dye era, didnt we have a few season where the defense gave up under 200 yards per game average? Something tells me the average was around 195 yards? That is nothing short of phenomenal. I do not think I have ever seen an SEC team do this in a very, very long time. It would be great if we can come in somewhere around 280 yards per game average for 2012.

Godspeed & WDE!

Doc

Has BVG had experience defending the spread ? Do not the other coaches including CGC have a lot of experience defending the spread? It would seem his attacking type will work well against any offense.

It's still about the players and a comfort level with reads so they play faster. We have more players with game experience so as soon as they get that comfort level they will fly to the ball. Add to that a new aggressive scheme.....and look out!!!

It's still about the players and a comfort level with reads so they play faster. We have more players with game experience so as soon as they get that comfort level they will fly to the ball. Add to that a new aggressive scheme.....and look out!!!

I think with BVG's attacking defensive front, the reads are a little less important. Now correct alignment is another subject all together. When the D-line attacks, it disrupts the offense...pure and simple. I like it!

Defense is back! WDE!

I do hope so, I miss that defense that was feared by all of our opponents. I think CVG is getting us back to that smash-mouth, take no prisoners Defense that we used to pride ourselves on.

Defense is back! WDE!

I do hope so, I miss that defense that was feared by all of our opponents. I think CVG is getting us back to that smash-mouth, take no prisoners Defense that we used to pride ourselves on.

Well Said. I have been accused of "Roof Bashing" just because I not only fundamentally disagree with his tactics (bend but don't break), but that our defense seemed static and, for lack of a better phrase, "less fierce." I'm not talking about jumping around and looking excited, any team can go out and do that. Nor am I questioning the players desires or abilities. They just seemed to be "de-tuned", guarding against doing the wrong thing as much as trying to make a play. What was it Cheech Martin said to Kevin Costner in Tin Cup when he was shanking the ball? Something like "the problem was that your brain was getting in the way." I know that players must think and all 11 must each cover their assignment for any defensive play to be considered successful but there has to be strategic aggression. I'm old enough to remember watching a man called Butkus and if you think a better defender had ever lived you are wrong and I'll send my wife out to fight anyone who disagrees. I suppose what excites me the most about VanGorder is I can imagine Butkus nodding his head as Brian discusses his philosophy - which to me sounds like- cover your assignment and DESTROY. Yes my friends I am ready for some gap blowing, quarterbacks sacking, running back stuffing, pass slapping down, receivers scared to cross the middle, swarm tackling AU defense of old. Now I'm going outside to run around the block to try to calm back down. Jiminy Cricket how much longer to kick-off? I may not make it. WAR DAMN EAGLE MY FRIENDS!

Archived