U.S. Team Took 250 Tons of Iraqi Munitions

TitanTiger

WASHINGTON — A U.S. Army officer came forward Friday to say a team from his 3rd Infantry Division took about 250 tons of munitions and other material from the Al-Qaqaa (search) arms-storage facility soon after Saddam Hussein's regime fell in April 2003.

Explosives were part of the load taken by the team, but Major Austin Pearson was unable to say what percentage they accounted for. The material was then destroyed, he said.

The Pentagon believes the disclosure helps explain what happened to 377 tons of high explosives that the International Atomic Energy Agency said disappeared after the U.S.-led invasion.

Pentagon spokesman Larry DiRita acknowledged the Defense Department (search) did not have all the answers and could not yet account for all of the missing explosives, but stressed that the major's disclosure was a significant development in unraveling the mystery.

"We've described what we know, and as we know more we'll describe that," said DiRita.

Pearson, accompanied by DiRita, appeared at a Pentagon news conference and said his team's mission in April 2003 was to clear material from the Al-Qaqaa facility in order to secure it for U.S. forces. He admitted he was not an explosives expert....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137017,00.html

WASHINGTON — A U.S. Army officer came forward Friday to say a team from his 3rd Infantry Division took about 250 tons of munitions and other material from the Al-Qaqaa (search) arms-storage facility soon after Saddam Hussein's regime fell in April 2003.

Explosives were part of the load taken by the team, but Major Austin Pearson was unable to say what percentage they accounted for. The material was then destroyed, he said.

The Pentagon believes the disclosure helps explain what happened to 377 tons of high explosives that the International Atomic Energy Agency said disappeared after the U.S.-led invasion.

Pentagon spokesman Larry DiRita acknowledged the Defense Department (search) did not have all the answers and could not yet account for all of the missing explosives, but stressed that the major's disclosure was a significant development in unraveling the mystery.

"We've described what we know, and as we know more we'll describe that," said DiRita.

Pearson, accompanied by DiRita, appeared at a Pentagon news conference and said his team's mission in April 2003 was to clear material from the Al-Qaqaa facility in order to secure it for U.S. forces. He admitted he was not an explosives expert....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137017,00.html

116298[/snapback]

But those munitions were not located under the seal of the U.N. International Atomic Energy Agency - as the missing high-grade explosives had been. And Pentagon spokesman Larry Di Rita could not definitely say whether they were part of the missing 377 tons.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041029/D861CL800.html

TT answer me this question for you and the liberals. How come the liberals and media are making such a big deal out of this? Great timing huh? Considering that it seems that nobody has talked about the thousands upon thousands of tons of munitions that the military has already destroyed, but they want to key in on a couple of hundred tons that are "missing". It has already been shown by several sources that the NY Times story that "exposed" this is full of inaccuracies.

To try and blame this on bush is pathetic. Anyone who expects a president to micro manage a war is delusional.

116332[/snapback]

How about the Macro management of the war? Is that okay to consider?

TT answer me this question for you and the liberals. How come the liberals and media are making such a big deal out of this? Great timing huh? Considering that it seems that nobody has talked about the thousands upon thousands of tons of munitions that the military has already destroyed, but they want to key in on a couple of hundred tons that are "missing". It has already been shown by several sources that the NY Times story that "exposed" this is full of inaccuracies.

116329[/snapback]

Well, it's gonna take me a little while to round up all the liberals, even though they are all on my rolodex, and get some consensus. In the meantime, my simple post without comment only served to point out that the sleight of hand by the Pentagon today did not accurately convey the facts. Why does a clarification of the facts bother you?

To try and blame this on bush is pathetic. Anyone who expects a president to micro manage a war is delusional.

116332[/snapback]

116342[/snapback]

Sure if you want to change the subject because your stance here is so weak.

116332[/snapback]

116342[/snapback]

116571[/snapback]

You really disappointed me this time. Not so much with what you said, but that you posted it during the Ole Miss game. Where are your priorities? ;)

Actually, I wasn't changing the subject, but rather challenging your characterization of micro managing. There were rumblings from the military that the administration was micro managing at the beginning by choosing bombing targets and more recently by making the call on when to advance and when to withdraw.

Micromanaging in this case could be telling the military which troops should check out which bunker. Macro managing is setting broad priorities at the outset that are keys to success. Such as saying, we know Iraq has tons of explosives. For the sites we are aware of, devise a plan to secure those muntions. Either that didn't really happen, and nobody said the military did anything different than they were told, or the military screwed up and Dubya is covering for them. What are the chances of that: "Cue Guiliani to blame the troops on the ground."

poof!

I am listening.

Since you seemed to have missed it the first time, TT.

POOF!

kaboom.gif

117391[/snapback]

Listen tomorrow.

117393[/snapback]

116332[/snapback]

116342[/snapback]

116571[/snapback]

You really disappointed me this time. Not so much with what you said, but that you posted it during the Ole Miss game. Where are your priorities? ;)

Actually, I wasn't changing the subject, but rather challenging your characterization of micro managing. There were rumblings from the military that the administration was micro managing at the beginning by choosing bombing targets and more recently by making the call on when to advance and when to withdraw.

Micromanaging in this case could be telling the military which troops should check out which bunker. Macro managing is setting broad priorities at the outset that are keys to success. Such as saying, we know Iraq has tons of explosives. For the sites we are aware of, devise a plan to secure those muntions. Either that didn't really happen, and nobody said the military did anything different than they were told, or the military screwed up and Dubya is covering for them. What are the chances of that: "Cue Guiliani to blame the troops on the ground."

117389[/snapback]

That game was stressing me out a little too damn much! :lol: Had to take a break.

Please forgive me for bowing out of this discussion. We are crunching heavy at work through the holidays and my net time is limited.

Archived