How about America and Gay marriage?

BamaGrad03

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm not going to find many supporters on this one, but this is the one area where I don't agree with my conservative brethren.

with the divorce rate of the average American couple being where it is, who are we to say someone else can't get married? I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to me.

I understand what the Old Testament says - but I also know that our country was supposed to be built on a seperate church and state. Of course, I also know that Christian Morals drive our country (which is a good thing).

I guess what it comes down to for me is that I really could care less if gay folks want to get married

I guess that shows you that there are more of us who do care thatn htose of you who don't. Although in this country, the don't cares ore growing. But core America is still made up of good down-home folks. And we are tired of militant minorities forcing there "lifestyle" on us.

Notice how the educated city folks like to vote dem? America does not want a select group of people telling the whole country what to do. Look fro the electoral vote situation to change in the next four years.

Chuck I see where you are coming from. And you have certianly provided us with solid points on this matter in the past. I guess its just refreshing to me to see that America has done SOMETHING recently as far as policy is concerned that falls inline with Biblical principle. Marriage is recognized as a sacred union between a man and a woman. I think that is great.

No we dont have to shove religion down peoples throats. But its great to see that America did this one overwhelmingly on their own.

Chuck I see where you are coming from. And you have certianly provided us with solid points on this matter in the past. I guess its just refreshing to me to see that America has done SOMETHING recently as far as policy is concerned that falls inline with Biblical principle. Marriage is recognized as a sacred union between a man and a woman. I think that is great.

No we dont have to shove religion down peoples throats. But its great to see that America did this one overwhelmingly on their own.

117868[/snapback]

I think the ever greater point is that we were even ALLOWED to vote on it. The "special" people here in GA tried to get it OFF the ballot.

I'm confused - how is someone wanting to get married "Forcing" a lifestyle on you? Are you being 'forced' to go to the marriage? Are you being 'forced' to find a gay spouse.

It seems to me that if we are not allowing gay marriage, we are forcing our moral values on them . . .

yeah, well, the Old Testament also talks about Animal Sacrifice and an eye for an eye . where as the New Testament talks about turning the other cheek.

That's why we seperate church and state

I'm confused - how is someone wanting to get married "Forcing" a lifestyle on you?  Are you being 'forced' to go to the marriage?  Are you being 'forced' to find a gay spouse.

It seems to me that if we are not allowing gay marriage, we are forcing our moral values on them . . .

117880[/snapback]

If gays want to live together in some form of recognized union and receive the benefits that's fine. Just don't degrade my MARRIAGE by calling their relationship the same thing. And by the way my 85 yaer old Mom and 82 year old Aunt have lived together as widows for several years. Shoudn't they get the same benefits of a civil union that gays want?

okay - but how about folks who get divorced after 2 years because they decide they can't get along - I don't like my marriage degraded by people who see divorce as a way out.

if you are going to ban gay marriage - ban divorce also.

okay - but how about folks who get divorced after 2 years because they decide they can't get along - I don't like my marriage degraded by people who see divorce as a way out.

117908[/snapback]

S - T - R - E - T - C - H

While I do not agree with divorce, the bible does state that there are certain occasions where it is justifiable to put away your spouse.

NEVER does it state its OK the hide the gazorgida-gazorgida with your buddy!

Chuck, I think I am one of the few conservatives on this board that voted against the ban as well. My reasoning is pretty close to yours. Glad to know that there are others out there!

I guess I just don't understand how the heck it has anything to do with me if two guys want to get married. If they were to ban gay "marriage" only, I wouldn't really care. But the only problem is Georgia was the only (i think) state to include civil unions in the ban.

Thought that I would go ahead and slide in here that I am at least glad it was left up to the individual states. I think we are better off that way than having a sweeping national decision on the matter.

how is this a stretch? You are telling me that the fact that close to 50% of all heterosexual marriages end in divorce doesn't degrade your marriage. The fact that when you walked down the aisle with the woman you love - that there was a 50% chance of that working doesn't make you feel less about your marriage??

OF COURSE YOU DON'T. Its YOUR marriage, its your life - YOU know how to handle it, and the actions of the other 50% don't amount to diddily-poo in your life. Just like two gay men getting married doesn't sully your marriage either.

People who get married for the "benefits" will have their marriage degraded if gays are allowed to do it.

People who see it as a life-long commitment and marry for love will not be affected one iota by queers getting hitched.

I don't think it's right but leave the government out of it.

i think it is called an"abomination" in the old book.....wonder why?....because it is an unnatural and degenerate behavior.....by using your logic, hell, it is okay to screw a goat.....are you going to "turn the other cheek" if you see your brother banging ole billy?.....htere is RIGHT and there is WRONG

hey bammerboob, you sound disappointed.....is this an issue that is close to home with you?

117859[/snapback]

As usual, in your rush to model low-rent behavior for us all, you got it wrong. BamaGrad is a solid conservative Christian Republican. Grow up and stop calling people names.

If it's such a perceived sin to be gay tom, why does the government need to get involved. Don't you believe God can handle the sinners?

In this country I don't think we should try to legislate or amend the constitution for every behavior that offends someone.

Personally I think people who can't write in complete sentences and lash out by name-calling anyone who disagrees with their pathetically narrow-minded point of view should forever be banned from posting on message boards. Should I push for a law for that or just tolerate the behavior I don't agree with?

117908[/snapback]

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :blink:

117908[/snapback]

117971[/snapback]

Have you read this entire thread? Or anything tombigbeetiger has ever posted?

117908[/snapback]

117971[/snapback]

Have you read this entire thread? Or anything tombigbeetiger has ever posted?

117974[/snapback]

:D:au:

Homosexuality is morally wrong. It should matter. We should be concerned. The " who cares? It's not my problem " attitude is weak. Stand up for something.

Divorce is morally wrong.

I'm standing up for the fact that I think divorce is wrong and it should be banned. The Christian Church dictates in your vows before God and your family that you stay married "until death do you part." Therefore, I am a proud supporter of a Constitutional Ammendment banning divorce.

In addition, I feel that the high level of divorce rate in the United States cheapens my own marriage - so it further stengthens my point.

Archived