New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If something were to happen and that's a big IF it will be an offensive minded coach....having bvg and hiring a kirby smart just doesn't make sense....might as well promote bvg

I would like to get Brian Kelly but I know that won't happen. Hell, what about Paul Rhodes? He probably feels shafted after Chizik got there but he's already improved Chizik's old team once.

Rhodes is an ISU alumnus if I'm not mistaken.

Rhodes is from Iowa, but he didn't attend ISU. This is his 2nd coaching stop there though.

These are good choices no doubt:

1. Gary Patterson: He can coach and does it with the best of them. Not necessary the #1 choice, but a good one for sure.

2. Art Briles: He might around .500, but seems to get the most out of what he has to work with. Not necessary #2 choice, but a good candidate.

3. Pat Fitzgerald: He is very young, but is a very good coach at a school that is the Big 10s version of Vandy in the SEC. Except he wins.

4. Bobby Petrino: I think Bobby has finally gotten the message that no matter how good of a coach he is, his loose behavior will not be tolerated. I actually think he could come in and do a tremendous job. If BP can get his brother to come in as his OC and CBVG as his DC, the sky is the limit. Would Jacobs hire him? I think he would if it meant keeping his job as AD.

5. Gus Malzhan: This would be an interesting hire no doubt. I still say we need to see what he can do as a HC at Arky State. Cam made CGM look like Norm Chow on steriods in 2010!

If we go 4-8 or 3-9, I think this would bring about a change at the top. We owe a lot to CGC for what he has done up until this season. I do think as long as CGC would bring in an OC that could bring us from rags to riches, this might be what the doctor ordered. However, if we have 3-4 more losses in a big way like a 45-10 loss or worse, I think Jacobs will have no choice other than to replace the HC. If this plays out, we need to have a new HC on board no later than December 10.

I forgot about Mike Leach.....He would have a ball messing with all of the defensive minded coaches in the SEC. After coaching Auburn to a couple of 600 yard offensive shows at the expense of Saban, the little dude might cash in his bammer money market 401-K retirement and leave the HC job at bammer for a trip or 2 to Disneyworld.

You guys saying Chan Gailey shouldn't be allowed within 100k miles of any search committee what you kidding me??

Why's that?

What the hell has ever done? Fired from Dallas, fired from Ga Tech, fired as OC at KC, about to be clipped in Buffalo.

Let me take one more shot. The names mentioned are not enticing. Let me try.

Pete Carroll, Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher make them all say no.

You guys are talking about Butch Jones I dont even know who that is.

I forgot about Mike Leach.....He would have a ball messing with all of the defensive minded coaches in the SEC. After coaching Auburn to a couple of 600 yard offensive shows at the expense of Saban, the little dude might cash in his bammer money market 401-K retirement and leave the HC job at bammer for a trip or 2 to Disneyworld.

I would LOVE Leach. He is the polar opposite of Mr Boring Chizik.

What kind of coach does this?

Hell Chizik wont tell you who is starting center is and check out Leach.

By the way not bad dating tips take a girl to an interesting venue preferably coffee that way if the conversation stales you can have something interesting to talk about.

I just got more out of a 30 second Leach clip then I have four years of pressers from our guy.

I like Briles, Malzahn, and Leach. Malzahn would be my first choice. Leach would be awesome too, but his personality likely would be hated here. I like his character though. He just gives out hams, is what he does.

Briles is the most likely available of the three. He's made Baylor VERY competitive. I think good things could be done with players and resources he could get here.

I I love Mike Leach and he would tell our players to grow up and quit listening to their fat little girlfriends LMAO.. Famous Mike Leach quotes should have it's own thread.. You didn't make that play Michael Crabtree made dat play

No...this program has not fallen to such low levels that no coach worth his salt would dare consider taking $4-5 million a year to bring back our program to life. Do not kid yourself...Auburn is still a fantastic school that most of your top young coaches coming into their own would jump at the chance to come here. I think that bammer was in such dire-straights that it took a king's ransom to move Saban to take that job. I figure Saban will be at bammer 3-4 years tops before he moves into a lucrative contract with ESPN to kick back and talk about fun things, and not have to deal with alumni and the whole bammer-bear syndrome. I know a lot of you out there do not like Pat Dye. However, Coach Dye brought Auburn back from the pits of football mediocrity to a formidable contender just about each of his 12 seasons at Auburn. If not for a couple of dunder-headed plays here and there in the 80s, we very well could have had a couple of NCs under our belts. It is just a matter of time before we are back knocking down doors on our way to future championships.

We are one good coach from being back at the top!

Kirby Smart HC +

Brian Van Gorder DC +

Willie Martinez DBs = killer defense.

The recruiting class that's coming to the Plains would stay in tact that's for sure. In fact, I bet we would get a few more along with those already committed. Wow, that just sounds insane. We would quickly have the best defense in the country. I really don't get the reluctance on Smart. Sometimes, you can just tell when a coach has got "It." Kirby Smart has whatever "It" is. He'd do great things with BVG and Willie Martinez.

That would only work if someone was willing to switch defensive philosophies. BVG & Martinez have been 4-3 guys while Smart seems to be a 3-4 guy, at least he has been under Satan.

Butch Jones is a winner, that's for sure. There's always the question of whether a MAC/Big East guy can figure out the SEC, but Urban sure pulled it off. I'd be open to it.

I hope the new coach will have no Auburn ties but will love Auburn and its values. This is one thing Chizik has owned, though he had some Auburn experience. Petrino is a no because he lacks values. Leach is a no because he's, well, a smart-ass.

I'm tired of hearing ridiculous names like Peter Carroll. He's winning in the NFL -- he's not coming. Harbaugh -- not coming. Holgorsen -- not coming. Peterson, I can hear, but it's a reach. He loves his job, and Boise guys have not done so hot in the spotlight. Patterson, also a reach but desirable.

Of all the obvious candidates, I so hope we're talking to Charlie Strong. I wish Freeze were on the market. And I really, really like the guys at Utah and Utah State -- but I'd add, Utah is an incredible place to live if you're into that sort of thing.

I wondered why Ole Miss was so quick to end the Houston Nutt era after he had posted 2 back to back 9 win seasons followed by 2 awful seasons that did him in. Looking back now, I think that this was the only choice available to them if they ever wanted to compete successfully in the SEC. If we do not win a SEC game this season, changes have to occur. If we can win 2 SEC games or more, CGC will be back next season, but on a 450 degree hot seat. I hate this as much as the next Auburn fan. I would love nothing more than for us to reel of 8 straight wins. If we do this, CGC will be the toast of the town with great expectations.

Butch Jones is a winner, that's for sure. There's always the question of whether a MAC/Big East guy can figure out the SEC, but Urban sure pulled it off. I'd be open to it

I hope the new coach will have no Auburn ties but will love Auburn and its values. This is one thing Chizik has owned, though he had some Auburn experience. Petrino is a no because he lacks values. Leach is a no because he's, well, a smart-ass.

I'm tired of hearing ridiculous names like Peter Carroll. He's winning in the NFL -- he's not coming. Harbaugh -- not coming. Holgorsen -- not coming. Peterson, I can hear, but it's a reach. He loves his job, and Boise guys have not done so hot in the spotlight. Patterson, also a reach but desirable.

Of all the obvious candidates, I so hope we're talking to Charlie Strong. I wish Freeze were on the market. And I really, really like the guys at Utah and Utah State -- but I'd add, Utah is an incredible place to live if you're into that sort of thing.

Bro our competition is the best coach in America if we can't make a SPLASH hire a hire that makes Alabama fans and Satan say oh $hit then keep Chizik. But your here to tell Butch Jones or Chan Gailey would provide any competition for Saban get real.

You only go out with the ugly girl when all the hotties say no. Problem is our AD doesn't lack the acumen to understand this.

You guys wanna fire Chizik for Butch Jones come on!!!

AUgrad, you might wanna clarify what point you're making.

If you're comparing the next coach to Saban, well, nobody's gonna have a record as good as his. Because nobody has one.

But if you're asking how good Auburn can be, there's some compelling evidence that Auburn isn't as good as it should be. Or do you deny that? Do you know a single thing about Butch Jones' accomplishments as a head coach?

Or, have you ever looked at what highly successful coaches were doing before they got the big job? I've made several posts on the topic, including a look at the current top 10 and where their coaches came from. That's called evidence.

Historically Auburn has waited way too late to fire head coaches, and the move is not made until the previous coach leaves the cupboard bare. This was seen with Bowden and Tuberville.

If Auburn is going to fire Gene Chizik then this is a PERFECT time to do it! We still have young talent and we'll have plenty of experience going into next year. We are still 2 only years removed from a national championship, so this job should be very appealing!

I believe that we could also keep this recruiting class intact if we made a HOME RUN hire immediately after the season. But it must be a home run hire... No more settling for "under the radar" coaches. Our last 3 coaches have all had at least one undefeated season, so you can definitely win at Auburn. But the key is finding a coach that build an elite program and SUSTAIN success!! WAR EAGLE

Butch Jones is a winner, that's for sure. There's always the question of whether a MAC/Big East guy can figure out the SEC, but Urban sure pulled it off. I'd be open to it

Bro our competition is the best coach in America if we can't make a SPLASH hire a hire that makes Alabama fans and Satan say oh $hit then keep Chizik. But your here to tell Butch Jones or Chan Gailey would provide any competition for Saban get real.

You only go out with the ugly girl when all the hotties say no. Problem is our AD doesn't lack the acumen to understand this.

You guys wanna fire Chizik for Butch Jones come on!!!

Who exactly do you think is going to intimidate Saban? and what's wrong with Butch Jones' coaching? He's won too much everywhere he's gone?

can we retitle this thread new oc coach to hire. chizik isn't the problem he is a good coach. all coachs have up and downs. good ones know how to get it back on track.

he got hear and got us a national championship and now we have fallen again and now he is going to bring us back up. most of the assistant coach hires are a crap shoot. you hire the best available and fits the sceme you are trying to run and hope for the best. not all of them work out. we just need to get another oc. bvg has us on the right track and is getting better defensive recruits then I can remember

If we are changing it to OC, then I say open up the checkbook and get Chad Morris here as OC/assistant head coach. For some reason, Morris' explosive offense combined with VanGorder's defense and Boulware's special teams gives me the warm fuzzies!

Man, I think some of you are out to destroy Auburn lol.

The names people are stuck on. Petrino.... every single game we would have to listen to how we have a adulterer at the helm. Not to mention the hearing every single game again about Jetgate and our backstabbing administration. Every game on TV your gonna have the analyst going over it again. You know Vern and Gary will not let it go.

Tressle by someone.. guy has two teams on probation and can't even coach the first 5 of anywhere he takes a job at. Carroll... already stripped of a NC and a Heisman. We trying to make Danny Sheridan look like a genius in his predictions. Because those two will greatly improve his chances.

And intimidate Saban? Noone is going to intimidate Saban on a college football field.

Guess this is good place to mention Gruden will be at the Cowboys next season, they miss the playoffs and Garrett is out and Jones finally gives up control and the checkbook.

I'm not even remotely interested in Petrino. I wouldn't have been interested before his Arkansas debacle. I think he lives out of a suitcase.

Tressel, Carroll? Can't even comment on them, not sure why anyone would want them.

That said, in the vein of former Auburn assistants, I wouldn't be upset at all to see Malzahn with a headset again. I suspect he would leave his DC alone to coach defense.

I think it would be SMART to hire a coach who is SMART enough to recruit well. It would also be a SMART hire for Auburn to choose a HC that very SMART defensively. If we could only find someone that is SMART like that. Anyone know of any coaches that are that SMART? Just asking

Ding Ding Ding!

problem with that is we do not have a NT or the LBs to run a 3-4 and that would mean another year or 2 of defensive transition.

Archived