New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

AU64, I think the evidence is really in. The team is getting worse over time -- not just this season, but from last year too. Another year of this sort of thing would set the program way, way back.

For the record, I'm slow to call for change. I like our coaches, and I want them to succeed. You're absolutely right that getting the right coach is extremely difficult. I just think we have no evidence that the current staff can turn this around. We'll know more in a few weeks, but if we're 1-7 or 2-6 with more embarrassing losses, change will be inevitable.

Well put sir!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and he was a loser in the pros. 68-71. Why would we hire another loser?

Steve Spurrier was a loser in the pros. I'd certainly pick him to competently coach an SEC team.

Steve Spurrier was a loser in the pros. I'd certainly pick him to competently coach an SEC team.

Thats true but he had coached and recruited in SEC before he went to the pros. Del Rio has NEVER coached in the college ranks and he would be more likely to go to a west coast team since thats where he is from.

Thats true but he had coached and recruited in SEC before he went to the pros. Del Rio has NEVER coached in the college ranks and he would be more likely to go to a west coast team since thats where he is from.

I agree. Even though Spurrier bombed in the NFL, he was an established HOF college coach. He also had great ties to recruiting all over the south, especially in Florida. Del Rio would be a big name, but he has not proven he could recruit and be a HC in the college game.

If i publicly named my dream coach I would be banned from all AU boards.

And by saying that you just said your dream coach. lol

Who is it? I'm not catching it :dunno:

If i publicly named my dream coach I would be banned from all AU boards.

And by saying that you just said your dream coach. lol

Who is it? I'm not catching it :dunno:

I'm guessing $abear.

I know nothing of Del Rio, just threw that name out there to illustrate that a loser in the NFL doesn't necessarily make the guy a scrub. If we go head coach hunting, I would love to see Mike Leach. I would also love to see him retain VanGorder. Of course, I'll never see that.

Is it me, or does AU always seem to hire less than intelligent coaches? just look at the way CGC speaks in public. Same was true of CTT and CPD. The only one that could speak intelligently was CTB. That may be our problem. We don't hire smart coaches. Smart coaches don't make the dumb coordinator hirings. Smart coaches know what type of team they are going to be (offense and defense). It's a mindset. Like I'm a spread team or I'm a smash mouth team. They don't change. Have a belief and stick with it. Maybe, that is a reason for all the frustration.

Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier say hello

Pete Caroll, to

All but Caroll were head coaches in the college ranks and Caroll was DC, OC, and Assistant HC.

I'm not saying Del Rio would be terrible but he has never had to recruit or teach young mean.

Charlie Strong would be my #1, but Arkansas is surely already talking with him. He's from Arkansas. I hate to say it, but there's little evidence that Auburn is a better job than Arkansas in terms of recent history. Auburn has had a couple of undefeated seasons, but Arkansas beats Auburn as often as it's the other way around. (We're 11-10-1.)

I would have thought we'd have no shot with Patterson. But there's big trouble in Fort Worth, and Patterson is clearly exasperated by it. Both Strong and Patterson know a little bit about elite defense and player development. Still, Patterson is getting older and it may be that his energy level is dropping a bit.

Getting a big name coach would be tough because you would have to hire a guy who is already established so that means he probably has a pretty good job right now (so he is getting paid pretty good already). You would then have to explain to him that even though CGC was fired 2 years after he won the schools first national title in 53 years that the he would get plenty of time to win. not to mention the $7million buyout. So realistically you are looking at Charlie Strong, but I assume he is on the Arkansas shortlist. So... Kirby Smart?? Rick Dennison?? I really don't know who we could get

Charlie Strong would be my #1, but Arkansas is surely already talking with him. He's from Arkansas. I hate to say it, but there's little evidence that Auburn is a better job than Arkansas in terms of recent history. Auburn has had a couple of undefeated seasons, but Arkansas beats Auburn as often as it's the other way around. (We're 11-10-1.)

I would have thought we'd have no shot with Patterson. But there's big trouble in Fort Worth, and Patterson is clearly exasperated by it. Both Strong and Patterson know a little bit about elite defense and player development. Still, Patterson is getting older and it may be that his energy level is dropping a bit.

Gary Patterson is only 52..........same age as Charlie Strong.

Getting a big name coach would be tough because you would have to hire a guy who is already established so that means he probably has a pretty good job right now (so he is getting paid pretty good already). You would then have to explain to him that even though CGC was fired 2 years after he won the schools first national title in 53 years that the he would get plenty of time to win. not to mention the $7million buyout. So realistically you are looking at Charlie Strong, but I assume he is on the Arkansas shortlist. So... Kirby Smart?? Rick Dennison?? I really don't know who we could get

They could show footage of the 2011 LSU, Georgia, Bama games, and 2012 MSU and Arkansas games (so far). That would successfully cover why he was fired, if he is.

Thanks for that. I'll say this. They don't act the same age. Maybe because Strong is still up and coming, career-wise. Read up on TCU these days. Patterson sounds dejected.

Thanks for that. I'll say this. They don't act the same age. Maybe because Strong is still up and coming, career-wise. Read up on TCU these days. Patterson sounds dejected.

I live in Fort Worth, there has been so much crap go down in the past 12 months with TCU. It goes beyond the football program. I think he is a good coach, I do not know how much of the crap he has on his hands is his fault though.

I could be wrong but I think he interviewed with Auburn back in 2008.

I live in Fort Worth, there has been so much crap go down in the past 12 months with TCU. It goes beyond the football program. I think he is a good coach, I do not know how much of the crap he has on his hands is his fault though.

And what of Mike Leach?

Turner Gill is still available. If we had hired him instead of Chiz think how things would be different now.

Miss State would have won the BCS with their hot young juco QB Cam Newton and Dan Mullens would be the guy on the hot seat now because he could not deliver another BCS two years later.

ESPN would be solidly in our corner and not looking for ways to smear our program and people would love Joe Schad.

And after four years of 3 win seasons Auburn would be in the market for a new coach....which apparently is where some folks think we should be.

But at least we would not have that BCS and all the unfilled dreams and all those 4 and 5* recruits that make so many AU people dream of rubbing their bama neighors's noses in our successes .

Alternative history....ain't it great !

WDE

Two years later...

Mississippi State 5-0

Auburn 1-4

He did, and I don't think he'd consider Auburn if Jacobs was still here. He wasn't real happy after the interview because he thought JJ was just going thru the motions and already had his HC picked out. Basically said the way Auburn handled the coaching search was a big mess.

Archived