New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

Charlie Strong would be my #1, but Arkansas is surely already talking with him. He's from Arkansas. I hate to say it, but there's little evidence that Auburn is a better job than Arkansas in terms of recent history. Auburn has had a couple of undefeated seasons, but Arkansas beats Auburn as often as it's the other way around. (We're 11-10-1.)

I would have thought we'd have no shot with Patterson. But there's big trouble in Fort Worth, and Patterson is clearly exasperated by it. Both Strong and Patterson know a little bit about elite defense and player development. Still, Patterson is getting older and it may be that his energy level is dropping a bit.

Gary Patterson is only 52..........same age as Charlie Strong.

Thanks for that. I'll say this. They don't act the same age. Maybe because Strong is still up and coming, career-wise. Read up on TCU these days. Patterson sounds dejected.

I live in Fort Worth, there has been so much crap go down in the past 12 months with TCU. It goes beyond the football program. I think he is a good coach, I do not know how much of the crap he has on his hands is his fault though.

I could be wrong but I think he interviewed with Auburn back in 2008.

He did, and I don't think he'd consider Auburn if Jacobs was still here. He wasn't real happy after the interview because he thought JJ was just going thru the motions and already had his HC picked out. Basically said the way Auburn handled the coaching search was a big mess.

Nice..........go figure. I think he would be a hell of a coach in the SEC and at AU.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting a big name coach would be tough because you would have to hire a guy who is already established so that means he probably has a pretty good job right now (so he is getting paid pretty good already). You would then have to explain to him that even though CGC was fired 2 years after he won the schools first national title in 53 years that the he would get plenty of time to win. not to mention the $7million buyout. So realistically you are looking at Charlie Strong, but I assume he is on the Arkansas shortlist. So... Kirby Smart?? Rick Dennison?? I really don't know who we could get

They could show footage of the 2011 LSU, Georgia, Bama games, and 2012 MSU and Arkansas games (so far). That would successfully cover why he was fired, if he is.

Ok now explain why a top coach should leave where they are now to come to Auburn. I'm not saying it would be hard to hire a coach, but I am saying it would be hard to hire a proven head coach for the simple reason all the top coaches have jobs they would not want to leave.

Auburn hasn't hired a proven head coach in the modern era. Most programs don't. Tuberville had done pretty well, considering he was at Ole Miss. But he wasn't exactly ruling the world. Jordan was an assistant. Barfield... Lord, Barfield.... Dye was at Wyoming and not setting the woods on fire. Bowden was at Samford. Chizik was losing at Iowa State.

Auburn will almost surely get its next coach from a winning program in a lower conference or a highly competitive program that's outperforming its history. Very, very rare for a team to get a proven head coach who's winning at a prestigious BCS school. Saban left Michigan State for LSU. Brown left UNC ("a highly competitive program that's outperforming its history") for Texas. Miles left OKState for LSU. I honestly can't come up with another example. Rodriguez to Michigan would be the closest case I can come up with.

Current AP Top 10.

1. Saban -- hated the NFL, was failing there

2. Kelly -- assistant

3. Spurrier -- failing in NFL

4. Muschamp -- assistant

5. Holgorsen -- assistant

6. Snyder -- God, I have no idea what he did before K-State

7. Kelly (ND) -- winning at Cincy ("a highly competitive program that's outperforming its history")

8. Meyer -- out of coaching

9. Miles -- winning at OKState ("a highly competitive program that's outperforming its history")

10. Riley -- complicated story, but not BCS to BCS

Keep Jeff Grimes? his offensive line couldn't block a bad cold. I kinda like the idea of us offering Kerby Smart.

Seriously just stop...its just not a good move for either school.

Ok now explain why a top coach should leave where they are now to come to Auburn. I'm not saying it would be hard to hire a coach, but I am saying it would be hard to hire a proven head coach for the simple reason all the top coaches have jobs they would not want to leave.

This all depends on who you think a proven or top coach is, and where they're at. I wouldn't mind seeing us break the pattern of our last 2 head coaches and going after someone of the offensive mind. Mike Leach, Dana Holgorsen, and Art Briles are 3 that spring to mind. Washington State, West Virginia, and Baylor, respectively. Is what is supposed to be a top-tier SEC program not a step up from those?

I don't think Holgorson would leave West Virginia since from the looks of it they will be a top 10-15 coach every year. Art Briles would be the most likely out of those 3. This is the first thread I have gotten into about new coaches because I didn't think there was anyway Chiz would be fired, but if we don;t win an SEC game then I don't see how he stays at Auburn.

I say hire some message board posters with salaries of what they are worth until they are proven winners. Use the money saved to tear down Parker and build a new physics building.

This all depends on who you think a proven or top coach is, and where they're at. I wouldn't mind seeing us break the pattern of our last 2 head coaches and going after someone of the offensive mind. Mike Leach, Dana Holgorsen, and Art Briles are 3 that spring to mind. Washington State, West Virginia, and Baylor, respectively. Is what is supposed to be a top-tier SEC program not a step up from those?

Cause people would flip out over the defense if we won or lost 73-60 in regulation. People flipped out in 2010 if anyone scored over 30 and we won and said this is the SEC not the Big 12 or Pac 12.

Auburn had better not hire Leach. Bad image for the school -- and I don't just mean the Adam James thing. He's just too nutty for SEC scrutiny.

Briles, maybe. But while I think you might be able to win with a spread in the SEC, I also think you have to play defense. And yikes.

Holgorsen? Hard to see him leaving. WVU is not a huge step down from Auburn, and it plays in a slightly softer conference.

I don't think Holgorson would leave West Virginia since from the looks of it they will be a top 10-15 coach every year. Art Briles would be the most likely out of those 3. This is the first thread I have gotten into about new coaches because I didn't think there was anyway Chiz would be fired, but if we don;t win an SEC game then I don't see how he stays at Auburn.

I doubt we could get him from there so soon in his tenure, though he might consider it if he could make the jump from $2.3mil to $3.5. As for Art Briles, you have to be impressed with anyone that can make Baylor a winner.

Auburn had better not hire Leach. Bad image for the school -- and I don't just mean the Adam James thing. He's just too nutty for SEC scrutiny.

Briles, maybe. But while I think you might be able to win with a spread in the SEC, I also think you have to play defense. And yikes.

Holgorsen? Hard to see him leaving. WVU is not a huge step down from Auburn, and it plays in a slightly softer conference.

I like that quirkiness about Leach, but you're right, people down here don't seem interested in a coach with personality.

I don't think Briles is opposed to playing defense, but look at where many of these spread gurus have worked. Leach was at Texas Tech, Briles at Baylor. Neither of those places are renowned for the talent pool just waiting for coaches to go out and win big. They're pretty much working with whatever they can get that Texas, OU, and neighboring Big 10 and Pac 12 don't want. They focus on their own strengths since I doubt they can make those programs dominant on both sides of the ball. At Auburn, they can actually field a good defense to go along with those potent offenses. I'd love to see an offensive head coach come in and keep VanGorder.

Spurrier is an offensive guy, but he didn't neglect defense at Florida or USCe.

I was not a fan of Leach in 2008 and I am still not. Briles might be OK if we still have Jay Jacobs making the hire.

wde

I was not a fan of Leach in 2008 and I am still not. Briles might be OK if we still have Jay Jacobs making the hire.

wde

I was hoping for Leach in 2008 for a few reasons, namely two concerns I've seen people mentioning lately: strength and conditioning, and player development. He always made the most of what he had to work with at Texas Tech. He'll do it again at Washington State. Conditioning is something his players were also known for. I remember reading about the sandpit he made them practice in at Tech, and I've read that another has been installed at Washington State. I think he would actually fare rather well in the SEC if someone was brave enough to hire him.

Personally, I think we run the table and finish 8-4 and Chizik is loved by everyone again.........But if I'm wrong and we decide to look for a HC I hope that we DO NOT hire a Coordinator. I want a proven HC (pro or college). I would like to have someone like Tony Dungy or some successful BCS or mid-level College coach.

Why not Mike Leech? All In and War Eagle!!!!! :wareagle:

Id love Leech be nice to have an offensive guru and throw the ball all over the yard for a change that's the offense I wish we ran

I think it would be SMART to hire a coach who is SMART enough to recruit well. It would also be a SMART hire for Auburn to choose a HC that very SMART defensively. If we could only find someone that is SMART like that. Anyone know of any coaches that are that SMART? Just asking

I think it would be SMART to hire a coach who is SMART enough to recruit well. It would also be a SMART hire for Auburn to choose a HC that very SMART defensively. If we could only find someone that is SMART like that. Anyone know of any coaches that are that SMART? Just asking

Ding Ding Ding!

Archived