New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

"I think there is still a large perception out there that too many people meddle in the Auburn atheletics department and the fanbase and alumni are too impatient. If Chizik is fired two years after a national title that perception will grow and getting a top tier coach would be even more difficult."

uat? O - thats right, uat paid $4.1 million. AU could hire whoever they want. Right now, Chiz is the man and I will be GREATLY upset if we fire him after this season - barring a meltdown outside of the scoreboard.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The perception that we are impatient with our coaches has always bothered me. It doesn't match with reality.

Here are the SEC teams, and the number of coaches they have had in the last thirty years (or maybe since 1980 I'm not sure):

Ala 9

Vandy 8

USC 7

LSU 7

Ole Miss 6

Ark 6

Fla 6

UK 6

MSU 5

UGA 4

Tenn 4

Aub 4

The perception that we are impatient with our coaches has always bothered me. It doesn't match with reality.

Here are the SEC teams, and the number of coaches they have had in the last thirty years (or maybe since 1980 I'm not sure):

Ala 9

Vandy 8

USC 7

LSU 7

Ole Miss 6

Ark 6

Fla 6

UK 6

MSU 5

UGA 4

Tenn 4

Aub 4

I agree. Remember how many in the national media pitched a fit about Auburn folks when Tubs was let go? He had been there 10 YEARS!! Perception is reality for those outside Auburn. I certainly do not believe that Auburn people are like that but we have to fight that and all the other negative perceptions about Auburn every day. I WANT to believe that we could have our pick of any hotshot coach out there, but based on past experience I just don't think its true.

Auburn can afford any coach in the nation.

I'm still waiting on a serious name that a majority of AU fans would want to have...and where there is even a 50% chance that they would accept the job.

The premise that you can lure anyone you want to Auburn just because you have a bunch of money to spend makes no sense. Most people making over 10 bucks per hour do not just use money as the reason for taking a particular job.

This was one of many pros I mentioned.

I'm still waiting on a serious name that a majority of AU fans would want to have...and where there is even a 50% chance that they would accept the job.

The premise that you can lure anyone you want to Auburn just because you have a bunch of money to spend makes no sense. Most people making over 10 bucks per hour do not just use money as the reason for taking a particular job.

ART BRILES is someone we should take a long look at.

Yup.

Ala 9

Vandy 8

USC 7

LSU 7

Ole Miss 6

Ark 6

Fla 6

UK 6

MSU 5

UGA 4

Tenn 4

Aub 4

I agree. Remember how many in the national media pitched a fit about Auburn folks when Tubs was let go? He had been there 10 YEARS!! Perception is reality for those outside Auburn. I certainly do not believe that Auburn people are like that but we have to fight that and all the other negative perceptions about Auburn every day. I WANT to believe that we could have our pick of any hotshot coach out there, but based on past experience I just don't think its true.

Are you joking? Read any Auburn board and 90% of the post are exactly supposed Auburn fans acting like this. Most think last year was a failure when we doubled the number of wins that most of the so called experts said we would have. Our fanbase is just as bad, if not worse, than the perception. It was the same in 2003 and then Tubbs goes undefeated and everyone jumped back on the bandwagon.

You can't blame some fans for being less than optimistic. There is a chance we don't win a conference game this year. Think about that. I'm for giving Coach another year. He's earned it. But, can you name the last time Auburn hasn't won a conference game. Not saying it will happen, but it's a possibility. If we lose this weekend,it's a strong possibility.

Again, not saying now is the time....But if it were......Art Briles ? Really.

I think everyone is missing one crucial aspect to this situation. NONE of these names I've seen can ever hope to compete with Saban. Either we have to hire a Harbaugh, or Gruden caliber coach, or we just need to wait until Saban retires. Petrino is the only name I've heard that has a shot of being successful against him. And to all of those who don't want Petrino based off of character issues, just look at what we have now. We have more attrition and character issues than any other school in the conference and we're not winning either. If you think that Being a nice boy has a place in the big bad SEC, then good for you. Me on the other hand, I'm tired of Auburn being a laughing stock. We already have character issues but let's at least worry about character issues while wearing our National Championship T's that Petrino might bring us.

The Arky fans are afraid that this is exactly what is going to happen at AU. They are worried sick that AU is in such a mess that we'll hire Bobby Petrino as HC, he'll bring in his brother Paul to run the offense, and he'll retain Brian VanGorder who coached defense under Petrino in Atlanta. Petrino thinks very highly of BVG, and the Hog fans believe AU would be dangerous with Bobby P/Paul P/Brian VG combo at AU with the talent we currently have, and the recruiting base we have access we have at our disposal.

I don't think it will ever happen, but WOW it would be interesting to see what the Petrino's offense + VanGorder's defense could accomplish.

I think everyone is missing one crucial aspect to this situation. NONE of these names I've seen can ever hope to compete with Saban. Either we have to hire a Harbaugh, or Gruden caliber coach, or we just need to wait until Saban retires. Petrino is the only name I've heard that has a shot of being successful against him. And to all of those who don't want Petrino based off of character issues, just look at what we have now. We have more attrition and character issues than any other school in the conference and we're not winning either. If you think that Being a nice boy has a place in the big bad SEC, then good for you. Me on the other hand, I'm tired of Auburn being a laughing stock. We already have character issues but let's at least worry about character issues while wearing our National Championship T's that Petrino might bring us.

The Arky fans are afraid that this is exactly what is going to happen at AU. They are worried sick that AU is in such a mess that we'll hire Bobby Petrino as HC, he'll bring in his brother Paul to run the offense, and he'll retain Brian VanGorder who coached defense under Petrino in Atlanta. Petrino thinks very highly of BVG, and the Hog fans believe AU would be dangerous with Bobby P/Paul P/Brian VG combo at AU with the talent we currently have, and the recruiting base we have access we have at our disposal.

I don't think it will ever happen, but WOW it would be interesting to see what the Petrino's offense + VanGorder's defense could accomplish.

Agree with both of these posters. :clap:

1. Why should we look at him? See RevN above.

2. Why would he look at AU? He has a good job in a conference where most years there are only a few good teams...and his fans won't try to run him off if he has a bad season.

Ala 9

Vandy 8

USC 7

LSU 7

Ole Miss 6

Ark 6

Fla 6

UK 6

MSU 5

UGA 4

Tenn 4

Aub 4

Are you joking? Read any Auburn board and 90% of the post are exactly supposed Auburn fans acting like this. Most think last year was a failure when we doubled the number of wins that most of the so called experts said we would have. Our fanbase is just as bad, if not worse, than the perception. It was the same in 2003 and then Tubbs goes undefeated and everyone jumped back on the bandwagon.

You make a good point, but Im hoping that the message boards do not necessarily represent the entire fan base. Admittedly there is a large faction that seems to worry sooooo much about what bammer is doing that it affects there attitude toward Auburn. The only thing I was personally disappointed in last year was the WAY we lost games to our rivals, not the number of losses.

Art Briles...... Seriously???? Look at his record - he is 28 - 26 at Baylor. 62 - 54 over all and a 1 - 4 Bowl record.

I think you answered your own question. He has a winning record at baylor....which was the doormat of the big 12. Now.... Baylor has the #1 offense in the conference with a new qb. Guy can flat out coach, recruit and develop players. He is known for developing quarterbacks (I.e case keenum, rg3 and now this kid Florence. Do you think he would be 28-26 as the head coach of OU, LSU or bama???? He is probably the most respected coach in Texas.

I can't just see the endless jokes the Bammers would have for us and the rest of the world if Petrino ever put on an AU coach cap.......... Win at any cost comes to mind, which I think is also the Bammer motto...........

Can Joe Biden coach? He seems just the perfect fit of crazy and powerful...kinda like les miles.

You have to admit pressers would be a lot more entertaining...

Never have been a Leach fan. Did not want him in 2008 and would not want him now. I think I would like Briles better than Leach and Gus has proven nothing as a HC yet. Although I like Gus' style of spread O much better than Leach's or Briles. Of course, I will readily admit, I would rather win 17-7 instead of 50-40. I am a defense 1st kind of guy, but I understand many are not so to each his own.

Augrad00 wants to swing for the fences and Leach ain't it so I was just confused as to why he loves Leach when he wants to hire Gruden (who has never been a college HC), Cowher (who has never been a college HC), Billick (has he been a college HC?), or Pete Carroll. Also to add a blubbering fool like Rex Ryan to the list, I am just trying to follow where he is going. Pete Carroll would be the only home run hire on his list based on actual accomplishment coaching college football although Carroll has been proven to cheat. Heck, Jim Harbaugh would be the man to wish upon a star for since we are playing in fantasy land.

wde

Scoring 50 doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up 40. Look at Spurrier, he LOVES to throw the football, and everyone remembers the Fun N Gun from Florida. It's what everyone talked about in the 90's. What they didn't talk so much about was the fact that Florida under Spurrier usually played good defense. South Carolina is playing good defense now. He kept a good defensive coordinator, and let him do his thing. Any offensive minded coach wants a brutal, punishing defense if he can have one. Why wouldn't he? He wants his offense to get the ball back and score again.

My thinking has always been, what happens if your defense does give up 40, but there's still a large chunk of the 2nd half left? You need 35 points in a hurry. What kind of offense puts you in a position to best accomplish that? No one wants to be in a shootout, not even the spread guys, but they all want to be able to win if they happen to end up in one. That's something that Malzahn brought, the ability to survive a shootout, and an offense designed to score quickly. It's always said that smashmouth grinds the clock and rests your defense. The spread is the opposite, it is designed to wear out their defense. I want to see more than just a vanilla offense and explosive defense. I want to see an explosive offense AND explosive defense. Chizik was heading in the right direction when he hired Malzahn, and he recently got a great defensive coordinator. There was no need to abandon the spread, and there is certainly no need to slow it to protect a defense that wasn't good whether it was tired or not. In fact, that's when you need all the points you can get.

Agree with all you wrote here.

wde

Me to!! great post I wanna see a wide open explosive Offense AND Defense. I loved our wide open hurry up Gus ran

Never have been a Leach fan. Did not want him in 2008 and would not want him now. I think I would like Briles better than Leach and Gus has proven nothing as a HC yet. Although I like Gus' style of spread O much better than Leach's or Briles. Of course, I will readily admit, I would rather win 17-7 instead of 50-40. I am a defense 1st kind of guy, but I understand many are not so to each his own.

Augrad00 wants to swing for the fences and Leach ain't it so I was just confused as to why he loves Leach when he wants to hire Gruden (who has never been a college HC), Cowher (who has never been a college HC), Billick (has he been a college HC?), or Pete Carroll. Also to add a blubbering fool like Rex Ryan to the list, I am just trying to follow where he is going. Pete Carroll would be the only home run hire on his list based on actual accomplishment coaching college football although Carroll has been proven to cheat. Heck, Jim Harbaugh would be the man to wish upon a star for since we are playing in fantasy land.

wde

Scoring 50 doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up 40. Look at Spurrier, he LOVES to throw the football, and everyone remembers the Fun N Gun from Florida. It's what everyone talked about in the 90's. What they didn't talk so much about was the fact that Florida under Spurrier usually played good defense. South Carolina is playing good defense now. He kept a good defensive coordinator, and let him do his thing. Any offensive minded coach wants a brutal, punishing defense if he can have one. Why wouldn't he? He wants his offense to get the ball back and score again.

My thinking has always been, what happens if your defense does give up 40, but there's still a large chunk of the 2nd half left? You need 35 points in a hurry. What kind of offense puts you in a position to best accomplish that? No one wants to be in a shootout, not even the spread guys, but they all want to be able to win if they happen to end up in one. That's something that Malzahn brought, the ability to survive a shootout, and an offense designed to score quickly. It's always said that smashmouth grinds the clock and rests your defense. The spread is the opposite, it is designed to wear out their defense. I want to see more than just a vanilla offense and explosive defense. I want to see an explosive offense AND explosive defense. Chizik was heading in the right direction when he hired Malzahn, and he recently got a great defensive coordinator. There was no need to abandon the spread, and there is certainly no need to slow it to protect a defense that wasn't good whether it was tired or not. In fact, that's when you need all the points you can get.

Agree with all you wrote here.

wde

I agree with this post totally. Also the spread must be effective Saban is crying about it all the time. You know why the offense is dictating what the defense does not vice versa.

I wish we stayed in spread

Archived