New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

My updated wish list

HC: B. Petrino

OC: Paul Petrino

OL: Mike Markuson

WR: Erik Campbell

RB: Eddie Gran

TE: Boulware

DC: BVG

DL: Jim Panagos

LB: Kevin Greene

DB: Martinez

I thought the current coaching staff was part of the problem? Wouldn't BVG be one of the reasons behind all of the defensive players complaining?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the blame must go to Jeff Grimes. He's a great recruiter, but it doesn't look like he can coach them up.

Good grief dude. Give it a rest. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen here. PLEASE, go find happiness in life somewhere. Find another team to cheer for, Clearly NOTHING at Auburn makes you happy.

Okay, I've seen a lot of Petrino supporters, and I agree that he has high powered offenses and had gotten Arkansas at a high level. This may have already been addressed.... but one of, if not the biggest hurdle for him would be this: convincing the mommas to let their sons go play for him. To those that want him, and if it were your son, would you honestly send him off for possibly five years to be under Petrino's influence without having ANY reservations about it?

Okay, I've seen a lot of Petrino supporters, and I agree that he has high powered offenses and had gotten Arkansas at a high level. This may have already been addressed.... but one of, if not the biggest hurdle for him would be this: convincing the mommas to let their sons go play for him. To those that want him, and if it were your son, would you honestly send him off for possibly five years to be under Petrino's influence without having ANY reservations about it?

I am not necesarily a suporter just saying he is an option. I am sure there will be reservations but his offenses speak for themselves so I feel that would over shadow the reservations. On D if BVG and MP were retained that would keep a trust factor with the D recruits and families.

I am not necesarily a suporter just saying he is an option. I am sure there will be reservations but his offenses speak for themselves so I feel that would over shadow the reservations. On D if BVG and MP were retained that would keep a trust factor with the D recruits and families.

If by MP you mean Mike Pelton, then I would say his lack of coaching competence out weighs whatever benefit we may get from his recruiting. Unless we let him go after all of the faxes are in on NSD.

wde

Might as well table all this new coach dreaming....wont be happening this year. Maybe we could just start an "off with their heads" thread instead. Seems to be some terribly blood thirsty "family" members in here!

I haven't read through all 21 pages of this but one name that I think would be very appealing would be Steve Sarkisian from Washington. He's an offensive mind that has taken a team that went 0-12 in 2008 to a top 25 team in the country. He's been able to recruit against Cal, USC, and Oregon consistently. He's a young guy and I'm pretty sure anyone in America would consider AU a step up from UW. The only negative I see from this potential candidate is he would bring Tosh Lupoi as his DC (best recruiter on the west coast) which means we'd lose BVG. Thoughts?

Never have been a Leach fan. Did not want him in 2008 and would not want him now. I think I would like Briles better than Leach and Gus has proven nothing as a HC yet. Although I like Gus' style of spread O much better than Leach's or Briles. Of course, I will readily admit, I would rather win 17-7 instead of 50-40. I am a defense 1st kind of guy, but I understand many are not so to each his own.

Augrad00 wants to swing for the fences and Leach ain't it so I was just confused as to why he loves Leach when he wants to hire Gruden (who has never been a college HC), Cowher (who has never been a college HC), Billick (has he been a college HC?), or Pete Carroll. Also to add a blubbering fool like Rex Ryan to the list, I am just trying to follow where he is going. Pete Carroll would be the only home run hire on his list based on actual accomplishment coaching college football although Carroll has been proven to cheat. Heck, Jim Harbaugh would be the man to wish upon a star for since we are playing in fantasy land.

wde

Scoring 50 doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up 40. Look at Spurrier, he LOVES to throw the football, and everyone remembers the Fun N Gun from Florida. It's what everyone talked about in the 90's. What they didn't talk so much about was the fact that Florida under Spurrier usually played good defense. South Carolina is playing good defense now. He kept a good defensive coordinator, and let him do his thing. Any offensive minded coach wants a brutal, punishing defense if he can have one. Why wouldn't he? He wants his offense to get the ball back and score again.

My thinking has always been, what happens if your defense does give up 40, but there's still a large chunk of the 2nd half left? You need 35 points in a hurry. What kind of offense puts you in a position to best accomplish that? No one wants to be in a shootout, not even the spread guys, but they all want to be able to win if they happen to end up in one. That's something that Malzahn brought, the ability to survive a shootout, and an offense designed to score quickly. It's always said that smashmouth grinds the clock and rests your defense. The spread is the opposite, it is designed to wear out their defense. I want to see more than just a vanilla offense and explosive defense. I want to see an explosive offense AND explosive defense. Chizik was heading in the right direction when he hired Malzahn, and he recently got a great defensive coordinator. There was no need to abandon the spread, and there is certainly no need to slow it to protect a defense that wasn't good whether it was tired or not. In fact, that's when you need all the points you can get.

Great post!

I haven't read through all 21 pages of this but one name that I think would be very appealing would be Steve Sarkisian from Washington. He's an offensive mind that has taken a team that went 0-12 in 2008 to a top 25 team in the country. He's been able to recruit against Cal, USC, and Oregon consistently. He's a young guy and I'm pretty sure anyone in America would consider AU a step up from UW. The only negative I see from this potential candidate is he would bring Tosh Lupoi as his DC (best recruiter on the west coast) which means we'd lose BVG. Thoughts?

Not sure if he would leave the west coast for the south. But yeah, he is a good coach.

Just for fun (I don't want Chizik to go anywhere yet):

Bob Stoops. (Urban Meyer to Ohio State = Stoops to Auburn).

It's odd IMO the coaches some folks seem to think would not consider leaving programs like Boise, Oregon, Ok State etc to come to 11 undefeated season (2 in last 8 years) Auburn and the SEC.

But again, all in gest. CGC is 5 games into the second season after getting us Cam and our first nat'l title in 53 years.

If by MP you mean Mike Pelton, then I would say his lack of coaching competence out weighs whatever benefit we may get from his recruiting. Unless we let him go after all of the faxes are in on NSD.

wde

Pelton is the lead recruiter for ALL of the D Line recruits. You let him go and you can kiss them good bye.

I thought about him as well, but Washington is just completing a stadium renovation to attract better recruits. I'm not sure we could pull him away.

Some of the blame must go to Jeff Grimes. He's a great recruiter, but it doesn't look like he can coach them up.

Good grief dude. Give it a rest. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen here. PLEASE, go find happiness in life somewhere. Find another team to cheer for, Clearly NOTHING at Auburn makes you happy.

Good grief dude, he's right. Grimes' only add value as a coach is as a recruiter. He should;ve been canned last year.

My updated wish list

HC: B. Petrino

OC: Paul Petrino

OL: Mike Markuson

WR: Erik Campbell

RB: Eddie Gran

TE: Boulware

DC: BVG

DL: Jim Panagos

LB: Kevin Greene

DB: Martinez

I thought the current coaching staff was part of the problem? Wouldn't BVG be one of the reasons behind all of the defensive players complaining?

Maybe maybe not. There have also been reports of BVG not being happy because he can't play who he wants because of different reasons ( ie Chiz's doghouse, playing favorites, etc..) Who's to say it's not Chiz not letting the new guys play?

Good grief dude, he's right. Grimes' only add value as a coach is as a recruiter. He should;ve been canned last year.

I wish you could type as well as you bitch and moan.

I wish you could type as well as you bitch and moan.

Ostrich-man-head-in-sand.gif

I think we should go after Brent Pease from Florida...he is who we should have went after hard to fill the OC slot.

No kidding, he was #2 on my list behind Koetter, and I figured we had a better shot giving Pease a chance anyway.

I think we should go after Brent Pease from Florida...he is who we should have went after hard to fill the OC slot.

As HC?

wde

I would take Dan "The Man" Mullen. I believe he would come if offered.

Not a bad idea. He will win 10 or 11 games this year with very little resources. Not sure he would come given his anger of the whole Cam Thing.

Archived