New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

AUgrad, you might wanna clarify what point you're making.

If you're comparing the next coach to Saban, well, nobody's gonna have a record as good as his. Because nobody has one.

But if you're asking how good Auburn can be, there's some compelling evidence that Auburn isn't as good as it should be. Or do you deny that? Do you know a single thing about Butch Jones' accomplishments as a head coach?

Or, have you ever looked at what highly successful coaches were doing before they got the big job? I've made several posts on the topic, including a look at the current top 10 and where their coaches came from. That's called evidence.

All I'm saying is swing for the damn fences. Look freaking SMU that's right SMU hired a basketball coach that is a first ballot hall of fame coach. You don't know till you ask.

As for a coach that would intimidate Saban I wish ole Rex Ryan was on our sidelines his opening presser would be I didn't come to Auburn to kiss Saban's rings. How refreshing a guy with brashness.

As for Butch Jones your right I don't know who he is the top of our list should be coaches who have won championships.

I don't get why Auburn can't just back up the brinks truck and hire a proven winner. Alabama didn't get Saban by assuming an NFL coach wouldn't return to college.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the Bobby Petrino bandwagon (I think). Sure, he's a douche. But he's a douche who can coach the crap out of football teams. And for the amount of money these guys get paid, I want my football coach to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES.

second the Bobby Petrino

I think it would be SMART to hire a coach who is SMART enough to recruit well. It would also be a SMART hire for Auburn to choose a HC that very SMART defensively. If we could only find someone that is SMART like that. Anyone know of any coaches that are that SMART? Just asking

Ding Ding Ding!

problem with that is we do not have a NT or the LBs to run a 3-4 and that would mean another year or 2 of defensive transition.

I like the idea of Kirby Smart as a head coach. As much as I dislike Saban as a person, he obviously does a pretty good job coaching. Several of his former assistants are already doing well as head coaches else where. Perhaps Smart is the next guy.

I doubt we would overlook a guy because we don't have the tackle to run his D. But who knows. Now if Mont. Adams signs with Auburn we'll definitely have a tackle for any scheme.

If you're comparing the next coach to Saban, well, nobody's gonna have a record as good as his. Because nobody has one.

But if you're asking how good Auburn can be, there's some compelling evidence that Auburn isn't as good as it should be. Or do you deny that? Do you know a single thing about Butch Jones' accomplishments as a head coach?

Or, have you ever looked at what highly successful coaches were doing before they got the big job? I've made several posts on the topic, including a look at the current top 10 and where their coaches came from. That's called evidence.

All I'm saying is swing for the damn fences. Look freaking SMU that's right SMU hired a basketball coach that is a first ballot hall of fame coach. You don't know till you ask.

As for a coach that would intimidate Saban I wish ole Rex Ryan was on our sidelines his opening presser would be I didn't come to Auburn to kiss Saban's rings. How refreshing a guy with brashness.

As for Butch Jones your right I don't know who he is the top of our list should be coaches who have won championships.

I don't get why Auburn can't just back up the brinks truck and hire a proven winner. Alabama didn't get Saban by assuming an NFL coach wouldn't return to college.

Then why do you love Leach? Your pie in the sky Jon Gruden's, Brian Billick's, Peter Carroll's, etc are just as ridiculous as those throwing out Chan Gailey except in the opposite direction of delusion.

As long as Jay Jacobs is the boss, even if we back up the Brinks truck, it is highly unlikely we are going to make a big name, home run hire.

wde

I think it would be SMART to hire a coach who is SMART enough to recruit well. It would also be a SMART hire for Auburn to choose a HC that very SMART defensively. If we could only find someone that is SMART like that. Anyone know of any coaches that are that SMART? Just asking

Ding Ding Ding!

problem with that is we do not have a NT or the LBs to run a 3-4 and that would mean another year or 2 of defensive transition.

I like the idea of Kirby Smart as a head coach. As much as I dislike Saban as a person, he obviously does a pretty good job coaching. Several of his former assistants are already doing well as head coaches else where. Perhaps Smart is the next guy.

I doubt we would overlook a guy because we don't have the tackle to run his D. But who knows. Now if Mont. Adams signs with Auburn we'll definitely have a tackle for any scheme.

It's more than that. If we got Kirby BVG would likely not be retained or stay. That would make it very hard to retain our defensive recruiting class.

The problem with Rex Ryan is his alligator mouth routinely overloads his hummingbird azz. Dude has NEVER backed up the talk. The last thing I want at Auburn is a loud mouth all talk loser like RR. Please tell me you were kidding. Good Lord!

Then why do you love Leach? Your pie in the sky Jon Gruden's, Brian Billick's, Peter Carroll's, etc are just as ridiculous as those throwing out Chan Gailey except in the opposite direction of delusion.

As long as Jay Jacobs is the boss, even if we back up the Brinks truck, it is highly unlikely we are going to make a big name, home run hire.

wde

I can't speak for AUgrad00, but I can tell you why I like the idea of Leach. Texas Tech was a doormat before he built that program. He never really had top talent to work with, certainly nothing like what he'd have access to here. He created talent. Coached up his players, if you will. The kind of thing I expect a coach to do. He put an exciting product out there on the field. I'm obviously not a Texas Tech fan at all, but I liked watching their games when I could catch one on TV. You give that guy a talent pool like he'd have access to at Auburn, a defensive coordinator like VanGorder, and I'm pretty sure we'd be seeing a monster develop.

It doesn't have to be Leach though. I'd be fine with Briles. I'd also be fine with skipping the Air Raid, and seeing Malzahn here again. I do, however, certainly want to see a head coach from the offensive side.

wde

I can't speak for AUgrad00, but I can tell you why I like the idea of Leach. Texas Tech was a doormat before he built that program. He never really had top talent to work with, certainly nothing like what he'd have access to here. He created talent. Coached up his players, if you will. The kind of thing I expect a coach to do. He put an exciting product out there on the field. I'm obviously not a Texas Tech fan at all, but I liked watching their games when I could catch one on TV. You give that guy a talent pool like he'd have access to at Auburn, a defensive coordinator like VanGorder, and I'm pretty sure we'd be seeing a monster develop.

It doesn't have to be Leach though. I'd be fine with Briles. I'd also be fine with skipping the Air Raid, and seeing Malzahn here again. I do, however, certainly want to see a head coach from the offensive side.

Never have been a Leach fan. Did not want him in 2008 and would not want him now. I think I would like Briles better than Leach and Gus has proven nothing as a HC yet. Although I like Gus' style of spread O much better than Leach's or Briles. Of course, I will readily admit, I would rather win 17-7 instead of 50-40. I am a defense 1st kind of guy, but I understand many are not so to each his own.

Augrad00 wants to swing for the fences and Leach ain't it so I was just confused as to why he loves Leach when he wants to hire Gruden (who has never been a college HC), Cowher (who has never been a college HC), Billick (has he been a college HC?), or Pete Carroll. Also to add a blubbering fool like Rex Ryan to the list, I am just trying to follow where he is going. Pete Carroll would be the only home run hire on his list based on actual accomplishment coaching college football although Carroll has been proven to cheat. Heck, Jim Harbaugh would be the man to wish upon a star for since we are playing in fantasy land.

wde

Ding Ding Ding!

It's more than that. If we got Kirby BVG would likely not be retained or stay. That would make it very hard to retain our defensive recruiting class.

This is something that you can't say with any absolutes.

I keep seeing Kirby Smart. What's his W-L as a HC?

Never have been a Leach fan. Did not want him in 2008 and would not want him now. I think I would like Briles better than Leach and Gus has proven nothing as a HC yet. Although I like Gus' style of spread O much better than Leach's or Briles. Of course, I will readily admit, I would rather win 17-7 instead of 50-40. I am a defense 1st kind of guy, but I understand many are not so to each his own.

Augrad00 wants to swing for the fences and Leach ain't it so I was just confused as to why he loves Leach when he wants to hire Gruden (who has never been a college HC), Cowher (who has never been a college HC), Billick (has he been a college HC?), or Pete Carroll. Also to add a blubbering fool like Rex Ryan to the list, I am just trying to follow where he is going. Pete Carroll would be the only home run hire on his list based on actual accomplishment coaching college football although Carroll has been proven to cheat. Heck, Jim Harbaugh would be the man to wish upon a star for since we are playing in fantasy land.

wde

Scoring 50 doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up 40. Look at Spurrier, he LOVES to throw the football, and everyone remembers the Fun N Gun from Florida. It's what everyone talked about in the 90's. What they didn't talk so much about was the fact that Florida under Spurrier usually played good defense. South Carolina is playing good defense now. He kept a good defensive coordinator, and let him do his thing. Any offensive minded coach wants a brutal, punishing defense if he can have one. Why wouldn't he? He wants his offense to get the ball back and score again.

My thinking has always been, what happens if your defense does give up 40, but there's still a large chunk of the 2nd half left? You need 35 points in a hurry. What kind of offense puts you in a position to best accomplish that? No one wants to be in a shootout, not even the spread guys, but they all want to be able to win if they happen to end up in one. That's something that Malzahn brought, the ability to survive a shootout, and an offense designed to score quickly. It's always said that smashmouth grinds the clock and rests your defense. The spread is the opposite, it is designed to wear out their defense. I want to see more than just a vanilla offense and explosive defense. I want to see an explosive offense AND explosive defense. Chizik was heading in the right direction when he hired Malzahn, and he recently got a great defensive coordinator. There was no need to abandon the spread, and there is certainly no need to slow it to protect a defense that wasn't good whether it was tired or not. In fact, that's when you need all the points you can get.

wde

wde

Leach would be on the short list after the above mentioned candidates. The reason to get Leach is I would LOVE for us to be an air raid offense. Saban whines all the damn time about the hurry up. I know all the SEC myopians wanna play defense I would love to be Oregon, WVU or Air Raid Leach.

As for the othe coaches they have Super Bowl rings they can flaunt.

As for Rex I am not saying he should be our head coach but I would LOVE the fact he would take shots at the turds all the time.

Tony D'Amato

Who?...And for the people saying Gus let's let him prove himself as a head coach before we even consider him.

Well, Gene Chizik was 5-19 at Iowa State. What did he prove?

If Chizik isn't here next year, Auburn will try to hire a class individual. That's the Auburn way, Jacobs or no Jacobs.

You can't pop off whatever crosses your mind (Leach), put your hands down every woman's pants (Petrino), or play the buffoon (Ryan). That's why such options are off the table. The Auburn coach has to get Auburn culture.

And while it looks to me as if Coach Chizik's days are numbered, thank God he's a class human being. If he moves on, I hope we send him off with profound gratitude.

If i publicly named my dream coach I would be banned from all AU boards.

I will say it for you...Saban. If we want the best, he is it. But there is no way we have enough money to steal him away. Bammers got some deep pockets over there.

How about Josh McDaniels? He's the OC at New England, and he was the HC at Denver. He runs the HUNH, and he is only 36. To have achieved all that at such a young age, he must be pretty sharp.

wde

Scoring 50 doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up 40. Look at Spurrier, he LOVES to throw the football, and everyone remembers the Fun N Gun from Florida. It's what everyone talked about in the 90's. What they didn't talk so much about was the fact that Florida under Spurrier usually played good defense. South Carolina is playing good defense now. He kept a good defensive coordinator, and let him do his thing. Any offensive minded coach wants a brutal, punishing defense if he can have one. Why wouldn't he? He wants his offense to get the ball back and score again.

My thinking has always been, what happens if your defense does give up 40, but there's still a large chunk of the 2nd half left? You need 35 points in a hurry. What kind of offense puts you in a position to best accomplish that? No one wants to be in a shootout, not even the spread guys, but they all want to be able to win if they happen to end up in one. That's something that Malzahn brought, the ability to survive a shootout, and an offense designed to score quickly. It's always said that smashmouth grinds the clock and rests your defense. The spread is the opposite, it is designed to wear out their defense. I want to see more than just a vanilla offense and explosive defense. I want to see an explosive offense AND explosive defense. Chizik was heading in the right direction when he hired Malzahn, and he recently got a great defensive coordinator. There was no need to abandon the spread, and there is certainly no need to slow it to protect a defense that wasn't good whether it was tired or not. In fact, that's when you need all the points you can get.

Agree with all you wrote here.

wde

1. Auburn can afford any coach in the nation.

2. Auburn is not on probation.

3. We have a pool of talent already in place.

4. We have some of the best tradition in college football.

5. We have one of the most loyal and level headed fanbases in the country.

Taking all that into account, IF (I'm not saying now is the time) another coach is hired we can and should get the best, most proven, and succesful coach there is.

Ding Ding Ding!

This is something that you can't say with any absolutes.

True but I trust the people who told me that and IMO it would not be worth the chance of losing BVG.

1. Auburn can afford any coach in the nation.

2. Auburn is not on probation.

3. We have a pool of talent already in place.

4. We have some of the best tradition in college football.

5. We have one of the most loyal and level headed fanbases in the country.

Taking all that into account, IF (I'm not saying now is the time) another coach is hired we can and should get the best, most proven, and succesful coach there is.

I guess you haven't been reading this board much the last few months. I like to think the level headed ones out way the irrational knee jerk reactors, but you probably wouldn't know it reading here the last few months.

We SHOULD be able to get the best coach, but when HAVE we? Terry Bowden was an unproven coach at Samford, Tubbs was an average coach at Ole Miss, and we all know Chizik's credentials. Every time this comes up there is a faction of fans who start reaching for the stars, but every time Auburn makes a hire that leaves people scratching their heads. I think there is still a large perception out there that too many people meddle in the Auburn atheletics department and the fanbase and alumni are too impatient. If Chizik is fired two years after a national title that perception will grow and getting a top tier coach would be even more difficult. I really think that will be the biggest reason Chizik comes back. If he has another crap year next season it will be much easier to get rid of him. JMHO

We SHOULD be able to get the best coach, but when HAVE we? Terry Bowden was an unproven coach at Samford, Tubbs was an average coach at Ole Miss, and we all know Chizik's credentials. Every time this comes up there is a faction of fans who start reaching for the stars, but every time Auburn makes a hire that leaves people scratching their heads. I think there is still a large perception out there that too many people meddle in the Auburn atheletics department and the fanbase and alumni are too impatient. If Chizik is fired two years after a national title that perception will grow and getting a top tier coach would be even more difficult. I really think that will be the biggest reason Chizik comes back. If he has another crap year next season it will be much easier to get rid of him. JMHO

As much as it pains me to admit it, you are right. This is only one of the list of reasons I want JJ gone. We have absolutely zero chance of getting a big name hire with JJ at the helm.

You are right that the hires have been less than stellar names regardless of how they turned out afterwards. However, that doesn't mean we give Chizik another year. We just hire a very good coach. They are out there, Auburn just has to be willing to hire one. That's all it will take.

please learn how to use the quote feature

Wow. Your post really made me think. Very good points.

Archived