New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

How about Gundy from Oklahoma State? Les Miles is an ex Oklahoma State coach and he has turned out pretty well for LSU.....

I think Gundy went to school at Ok State. Probably won't leave. Also has T. Boone Pickens writing massive checks to the athletic department.

U know who didnt go to school @ the university of the denver broncos? Jack Del Rio! I will persist.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with AU60 completely...Changing coaches now would be the absolute worst scenario.

I firmly believe there are some discipline and character issues with the team and that is a very significant problem if it in fact exists. A head coach cannot talk his team or coaches through it, as much as we would like to think it is possible. I have observed this unhappy situation at Auburn before, and the only REAL solution turns out to be TIME. NOT firing the head coach, NOT firing 2 newly hired Coordinators. I personally would hate to see Auburn lose CGC at this time. And I hurt just as much as most of you all do, but I don't want it to go from extremely bad to horrific.

CGC must grab the Off Cordinator and Def Coordinator and other assistants right now and specifically tell them just how thay are going to coach and call their sides of the games. He needs to take charge and give them specific immediate directions. Now, if he does that it does not mean this year will be salvaged but it does mean that next year will have a significant chance for improvement. IF we change coaches now, then as a football team, Auburn will be set back 2 or 3 more years.

If we keep CGC and he does what he said he was going to do late yesterday or today (I forget and I am paraphrasing) "take the team back to the basics used in Clemson game, run the ball and execute". "When we concentrated on running and blocking the run, we did well" So my hope is that he maybe will take this opportunity to take this team back and make it his again and put Auburn back together as a team.

As far as the discipline or character issues, and I am sure there must be many, they will not go away this year and will drag the team down for the rest of the year like that sort of thing always does. Once that nonsense sets in, it usually runs through the entire team for the rest of the year until a complete new Spring Training and assortment of new and old players start making new relationships and such.

Sorry for my rambling but I just had to say that I hope we as Auburn, make it through this without tearing down lots of hard work. Other BIG teams recently have had very subpar seasons with immense amounts of talent and the schools stuck with their coaches and now they are flying pretty high..teams like Texas, South Carolina, Florida for a few.

why not give the HC job to the stache and let him hire the rest of the staff. Hes the only bright spot to the entire season and Im sure he knows some solid position coaches.

I agree with AU60 completely...Changing coaches now would be the absolute worst scenario.

I firmly believe there are some discipline and character issues with the team and that is a very significant problem if it in fact exists. A head coach cannot talk his team or coaches through it, as much as we would like to think it is possible. I have observed this unhappy situation at Auburn before, and the only REAL solution turns out to be TIME. NOT firing the head coach, NOT firing 2 newly hired Coordinators. I personally would hate to see Auburn lose CGC at this time. And I hurt just as much as most of you all do, but I don't want it to go from extremely bad to horrific.

CGC must grab the Off Cordinator and Def Coordinator and other assistants right now and specifically tell them just how thay are going to coach and call their sides of the games. He needs to take charge and give them specific immediate directions. Now, if he does that it does not mean this year will be salvaged but it does mean that next year will have a significant chance for improvement. IF we change coaches now, then as a football team, Auburn will be set back 2 or 3 more years.

If we keep CGC and he does what he said he was going to do late yesterday or today (I forget and I am paraphrasing) "take the team back to the basics used in Clemson game, run the ball and execute". "When we concentrated on running and blocking the run, we did well" So my hope is that he maybe will take this opportunity to take this team back and make it his again and put Auburn back together as a team.

As far as the discipline or character issues, and I am sure there must be many, they will not go away this year and will drag the team down for the rest of the year like that sort of thing always does. Once that nonsense sets in, it usually runs through the entire team for the rest of the year until a complete new Spring Training and assortment of new and old players start making new relationships and such.

Sorry for my rambling but I just had to say that I hope we as Auburn, make it through this without tearing down lots of hard work. Other BIG teams recently have had very subpar seasons with immense amounts of talent and the schools stuck with their coaches and now they are flying pretty high..teams like Texas, South Carolina, Florida for a few.

We are two years away from being competitive, not a winner......just competitive from experience and being two years older. With the same staff and direction we are NOT going to be an SECC contender in 2013 and probably not in 2014. Chizik has got to show us a reason to believe he is still the man for the job.

War Eagle !

If i publicly named my dream coach I would be banned from all AU boards.

And by saying that you just said your dream coach. lol

People can toss names around all day long...but as long as we have a coach under contract, we can't talk to other coaches that we might be interested in. Remember 2003 and the flight to see Petrino?

What that means is when an opening occurs (for whatever reason) then you can contact candidates..not before. And it's amazing how many schools are surprised when they learn that all the great candidates they have on their list turn out to be "not interested" when the get a call....and the schools end up with Dooley or Nutt or ????

Firing Chiz would be a disaster and the idea of bumping up a member of his staff makes no sense....an even worse risk since we would be obligated to give him three or four years....and then if that high risk hire does not work out..where do you go next? This ain't McDonalds where you fire someone with no real impact on the business. A coaching change is HUGE and affects dozens of people/families throughout the Athletic Department.

If we were to fire Chiz, that basically means firing the entire staff since most would start looking for new jobs immediately. Most of you know that...but you might want to give a bit more thought to what that does to all the kids we have now....some of whom will likely leave, in addition to those recruits who are spooked by all of their coaching contacts moving to another school.

There is lots of opportunity to turn the program around without turning it upside down in the process.

AU64, I think the evidence is really in. The team is getting worse over time -- not just this season, but from last year too. Another year of this sort of thing would set the program way, way back.

For the record, I'm slow to call for change. I like our coaches, and I want them to succeed. You're absolutely right that getting the right coach is extremely difficult. I just think we have no evidence that the current staff can turn this around. We'll know more in a few weeks, but if we're 1-7 or 2-6 with more embarrassing losses, change will be inevitable.

If this season after last season is not enough evidence our program needs to go another direction then you will never agree to move away from the Chizik era. The timing of these things are never good. There's never a good time to do it. No matter what happens, if Auburn does end up letting go Chizik, I firmly believe that people will be talking about how the timing of the firing was not right. Unfortunately, that's the nature of this beast.

Archived