General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

I think that the college game was a lot different a few years back when bvg last coached it. I think he is trying to learn how to defend the spread on the fly and is really struggling with it. The read option has killed us all year. I think the one area our defense has improved over the course of the season is in pass coverage. Our best corners are just young and raw, but they' ll be good. So as to whether or not we keep bvg, i say that is entirely the next coaches decision.

If that coach is gus malzahn i like the idea of keeping him b/c he would get plenty of work in spring and fall to improve against spread, and gus might have trouble courting anybody better. Plus it might enable us to hang on to some of our great d recruits.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's compare resume's and results real quick:

Kliff:

Coaching Experience

2011- : Texas A&M (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)

2010-11: Houston (Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)

2008-09: Houston (Offensive Quality Control Assistant)

Results - Career day against Auburn with 672 yards of offense! He also owns the #1 SEC offense in his 1st year with a RsF QB who sat most of the game. He also knows Tom Brady and was his backup with the Patriots.

Scot Loeffler

Coaching Experience

1996–1999 Michigan (SA/GA/QB)

2000–2001 Central Michigan (QB)

2002–2007 Michigan (QB)

2008 Detroit Lions (QB)

2009–2010 Florida (QB)

2011 Temple (OC/QB)

2012–present Auburn (OC/QB)

Results - 335 yards of offense mostly against 2nd string defense!

We could put all of our offensive plays on small pieces of paper, put them all in a brown paper bag, take it to the sidelines on gameday and pull one out when calling each play.

Omac up the middle on 3rd and 9 will now be random instead of planned. I'm still betting on it happening repeatedly.

I love Auburn football and Auburn University with all my heart, like most of you, I'm sure.

I just cannot believe what I'm seeing every Saturday.

REX RYAN! He's about fed up with all that NY/NJ drama & could handle SEC drama.

Yeah, let's have a guy with a foot fetish run the team. :rolleyes:

Ooh! Ready? Foot fetish + Bob Saget. Tell me THAT wouldn't fire SOMEone up.. :)

We could put all of our offensive plays on small pieces of paper, put them all in a brown paper bag, take it to the sidelines on gameday and pull one out when calling each play.

Omac up the middle on 3rd and 9 will now be random instead of planned. I'm still betting on it happening repeatedly.

I love Auburn football and Auburn University with all my heart, like most of you, I'm sure.

I just cannot believe what I'm seeing every Saturday.

I have become numb to the product we put on the field on Saturdays. Words can't describe the trainwreck we are seeing. I heard some commentator mention this is the guys 2nd year of coaching and last year he was a Quality control Assistant so I had to go look it up. Sure enough the guy has less experience coaching then anybody on our staff and made us look silly.

I have been watching Auburn football since 1962 and I have never seen any offense we have ever put on the field that even compares to the inept mess that Lefty has created. It defies description.

I have been watching Auburn football since 1962 and I have never seen any offense we have ever put on the field that even compares to the inept mess that Lefty has created. It defies description.

I think inept mess about summed it up. Nail on the head.

If you were inclined to believe one group of people, then here is their story - CGC canned after Vandy game - former Trustee EM has a mad on for Petrino - Trustee JR has a mad on for Jimbo.

I remember threads like this last year about who we will get as the new OC and DC...guess what...no one we discussed was hired. So more than likely anyone we discuss here wont be hired. I will say this...look for a knockout hire coming to Auburn-I dont know who but it will be bigger than most think. There are some politics that have to be played first...keep in mind the AD will be let go first and it has to be done the right way. There are things such as pensions, state laws, federal hiring practices that have to be worked out first. Be patient because things like this cant happen overnight. Oh and it wont be Petrino.

Put Johnny Football in an AU uniform and I suspect CSL's offense would look better but then again, if JF were at AU he would probably be a drop-back passer in a pro-set.....and getting swamped by the oppositon's DL.

I remember threads like this last year about who we will get as the new OC and DC...guess what...no one we discussed was hired. So more than likely anyone we discuss here wont be hired. I will say this...look for a knockout hire coming to Auburn-I dont know who but it will be bigger than most think. There are some politics that have to be played first...keep in mind the AD will be let go first and it has to be done the right way. There are things such as pensions, state laws, federal hiring practices that have to be worked out first. Be patient because things like this cant happen overnight. Oh and it wont be Petrino.

Not sure if it "won't be Petrino". The only sure thing is that we don't know anything. When Chiz was hired nobody had mentioned his name. Lefty and the 'Stache were both previously unmentioned. Either way, I'm staying out of it. I was pulling for Turner Gill hard in '09. Shows how little I know.

Put Johnny Football in an AU uniform and I suspect CSL's offense would look better but then again, if JF were at AU he would probably be a drop-back passer in a pro-set.....and getting swamped by the oppositon's DL.

I can't understand by now how anybody could think CSL even belongs in the same league as Kliff Kingsbury. I think you might want to look at what he did at Houston as well. In addition, he was quite a player at Texas Tech. The man simply gets it. Mark it down, he's going to be one of those top coaches somewhere one day and my guess is sooner than later. No, I'm not saying to go after him for HC, but I remember shouting his name over and over from the rooftops last year to anybody that would listen and shouted it anyway at those who wouldn't.

All I kept hearing, "That kind of spread won't work in the SEC. He's not the guy Auburn needs to be successful." Right, well I am certainly glad CSL came to the rescue. The point is, he didn't even get a whiff. There were several big time OC's coming from small schools that could have been looked at for OC, and they flat out were not for whatever reason. To me, this further states Auburn's need to replace Jay Jacobs and it should have been already. I see no good in waiting to oust one Jay Jacobs, Tim Jackson, and the genius who gets thrown out of BVG's meeting Mr. Bolt. They all need to be gone last year let alone by now.

One other thing, I would love to see Kingsbury here implementing his spread as our OC but that's up to the next HC. If we get a defensive guy like Charlie Strong, you can bet I'll be campaigning even harder for Kingsbury the next go around as he's my favorite Offensive Coordinator in the game currently. Furthermore, that was before what he has done at TAMU. I loved what he did at Houston.

LoL I'm not sure that's possible this time vet. By the way, I would like to first of all state thank you for your service.

We've mentioned more names than we did with the 2008 HC coaching search and last year's coordinators searches combined if you add all the pages together. Crap, one person already went and put down every single HC and coordinator in Division I football. I'm not sure how this person's name hasn't been mentioned yet. I have no doubt someone will soon put down every single HC and coordinator in the NFL too. Personally, there are some names out there that I'm really shocked haven't been mentioned. Somebody like Sean Payton wouldn't shock me. Then again, it wouldn't shock me if we don't get him either. I could just see Payton as not wanting to deal with Goddell ever again and he is definitely available. That is another offensive genius as well. Regardless, I just don't see any names really left after everybody we've mentioned. I don't see that happening this time. We've even mentioned Brian Billick and Jon Gruden, and some other crazy names. Again, look for somebody to post all NFL HC's and coordinators soon. After that, I don't really know how many others are out there that are "Knockout Hires"

LoL I'm not sure that's possible this time vet. By the way, I would like to first of all state thank you for your service.

We've mentioned more names than we did with the 2008 HC coaching search and last year's coordinators searches combined if you add all the pages together. Crap, one person already went and put down every single HC and coordinator in Division I football. I'm not sure how this person's name hasn't been mentioned yet. I have no doubt someone will soon put down every single HC and coordinator in the NFL too. Personally, there are some names out there that I'm really shocked haven't been mentioned. Somebody like Sean Payton wouldn't shock me. Then again, it wouldn't shock me if we don't get him either. I could just see Payton as not wanting to deal with Goddell ever again and he is definitely available. That is another offensive genius as well. Regardless, I just don't see any names really left after everybody we've mentioned. I don't see that happening this time. We've even mentioned Brian Billick and Jon Gruden, and some other crazy names. Again, look for somebody to post all NFL HC's and coordinators soon. After that, I don't really know how many others are out there that are "Knockout Hires"

I agree...I just hope in all honesty that this is something that can be handled the way it is supposed to be handled and done within a proper time frame. There are some who think we need to fix it right now. The fact is you cant fix it instantly. We all keep talking about the HC position when the first thing we need to find is a great AD who will then hire the HC. It is hard to pinpoint a HC if you dont know the AD. It is going to be in interesting 2 months for sure. I say 2 months because I think we have the marbles in place within that time frame.

I appreciate your thanks:) I would give my time sweat and tears for you and everybody in this great country anytime any place to make sure it is a free country.

I'm totally with you that we need a new AD. We need to get started on the AD now. I see no reason why we must keep the three stooges still. In fact, I bet I could see the team improving without those three.

Remember that Wallace was Loeffler's recruit....it's the guys he wanted to run this Offense from the beginning. I believe he had to listen to Chizik and make KF into somebody he wasn't.

I look for a knockout hire. I'm just not certain yet if it will knock us out or the competition!

Yep gonna get blasted for this too, but I'd love Herm Edwards. You can't tell me he's not itching to coach again folks. Hello?!? You play to win the game!!! Herm is so popular right now, he would walk in and say "Hello" and he'd have the kid and their family right there. And yes, he's not that terrible of a coach and he'd add massive energy to AU's program. No, it will not happen I realize that. However, a man can dream a little LoL.

Am I the only one who thinks he would be perfect fit as a HC? Too bad he's locked in with that brutal NFL team. Yes I know I'm dreaming but can still dream can't i? Any thoughts on this

Archived