General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

Titan...just curious...if you had to guess who would you say the realistic options will be?

(in no particular order)

Petrino

Jimbo Fisher

Charlie Strong

Gus Malzahn

I think those are the four most likely. After them you might see some names like:

Greg Roman (OC for the 49ers)

Willie Taggart (Harbaugh protege, in his second year at Western Kentucky)

Gary Patterson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Titan...just curious...if you had to guess who would you say the realistic options will be?

(in no particular order)

Petrino

Jimbo Fisher

Charlie Strong

Gus Malzahn

I think those are the four most likely. After them you might see some names like:

Gary Patterson

I not a huge fan of Gary Patterson. I like his intensity and what he has done at TCU, however, the Casey Pachall thing right after the big drug bust over the summer is a little scary. It seems to me like there are some big issues at TCU that likely didn't just crop up.

(in no particular order)

Petrino

Jimbo Fisher

Charlie Strong

Gus Malzahn

Gary Patterson

You hearing this from people who know? I only ask because I remember all of the names we heard during the last search, and was caught totally of guard when Chizik was announced.

I was with the family at Disneyworld at the time, thinking "I thought this was supposed to be the happiest place on earth."

Is anyone talking about Spurrier this time around?

I almost don't hate him anymore from the Florida years.

Almost.

Almost.

You can talk about anything or anyone you want.

Spurrier is not getting any younger and I don't think he has what it takes to start over at a new program. Great coach, but I don't think he will leave USC. He is trying to obtain the elusive SEC title and according to him it is harder to obtain one than a National championship.

Almost.

You can talk about anything or anyone you want.

Spurrier is not getting any younger and I don't think he has what it takes to start over at a new program. Great coach, but I don't think he will leave USC. He is trying to obtain the elusive SEC title and according to him it is harder to obtain one than a National championship.

He is NEVER leaving SC. This is his last stop. He runs Carolina the way Saban does Bama - he's been able to build everything his way.

(in no particular order)

Petrino

Jimbo Fisher

Charlie Strong

Gus Malzahn

Gary Patterson

I'm nobody and I don't know a thing, but it seems like it will be one of those 4 guys. I think Charlie Strong would be a homerun. He would do great things at AU.

Auburn cannot afford to mess this hire up. The scenario is much different than when Chizik was hired, there are many capable athletes on the roster who were big name recruits for a reason... Natural Talent. That talent just needs to be refined and coached up as it apparently has not been the past few years at Auburn. (Frazier, Reed, Owens, Whitaker, and Florence stand out to me in this argument.)

Administration needs to take their time with this process and not look at what the immediate negatives will be (recruiting mainly) but how can Auburn get a coach who will be here for the next 10-15 years and put a dominant product on the field each of those seasons. I was talking to a huge bama fan today in the copy room and we agreed on this: Auburn has got go and hire a no-nonsense coach who can recruit like a mad-man and will not be afraid of Saban. He needs to be treated like Saban is at bama and have complete control of the football program in the same sense that a head coach/gm does in the NFL. The coach however has to be respected by the fan base and have morals that align with what Auburn is supposed to represent.

This being said there are a few candidates that fit the bill but IMO Charlie Strong, and Jimbo Fisher seem most likely to align with that criteria. I know there would be interest on our part not sure so much about theirs. TIFWIW

WDE

All of these are opinions so one more ain't gonna hurt. IMO the best coach for 2013 is the one we have. Get rid of JJ and let Chizik make any adjustments in the coaching staff that he feels are necessary. If there is some internal / locker room crap going on my bet is that it is not directed against Chizik. Actually I think the team will rally behind Wallace more than any of the other QBs and we will see a lot of difference from here out. Couple that with the very real chance we will have at a top 5 recruiting class and I say give it at least one more year.

Auburn cannot afford to mess this hire up. The scenario is much different than when Chizik was hired, there are many capable athletes on the roster who were big name recruits for a reason... Natural Talent. That talent just needs to be refined and coached up as it apparently has not been the past few years at Auburn. (Frazier, Reed, Owens, Whitaker, and Florence stand out to me in this argument.)

Administration needs to take their time with this process and not look at what the immediate negatives will be (recruiting mainly) but how can Auburn get a coach who will be here for the next 10-15 years and put a dominant product on the field each of those seasons. I was talking to a huge bama fan today in the copy room and we agreed on this: Auburn has got go and hire a no-nonsense coach who can recruit like a mad-man and will not be afraid of Saban. He needs to be treated like Saban is at bama and have complete control of the football program in the same sense that a head coach/gm does in the NFL. The coach however has to be respected by the fan base and have morals that align with what Auburn is supposed to represent.

This being said there are a few candidates that fit the bill but IMO Charlie Strong, and Jimbo Fisher seem most likely to align with that criteria. I know there would be interest on our part not sure so much about theirs. TIFWIW

WDE

I do not know who the best candidate is though I've stated my preferences. I just want an Athletic Dept. that is not run like a cross between South Park and Mayberry. There has to be a focus on excellence and quality in the programs. I'll let the guy incharge be so, cause he is and I can't do anything about it except.......

Just PUHLEEEZE do the search, transistion and future, all the the right way. I'll take what comes . WD

I like Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden out of retirement. Cowher top choice. He's good and fiery and just looks like a football coach.

And neither one has ever been a college head coach. NO THANKS. IMO, They would be in way over their heads and FAIL miserably. We would be in much worse shape after them than we are now. Neither of them are that great of a coach. We deserve better than either of those.

All of these are opinions so one more ain't gonna hurt. IMO the best coach for 2013 is the one we have. Get rid of JJ and let Chizik make any adjustments in the coaching staff that he feels are necessary. If there is some internal / locker room crap going on my bet is that it is not directed against Chizik. Actually I think the team will rally behind Wallace more than any of the other QBs and we will see a lot of difference from here out. Couple that with the very real chance we will have at a top 5 recruiting class and I say give it at least one more year.

No. Way. The university and the town would lose SO much money if Chizik was retained. The product he is putting on the field does not translate to people buying tickets. Ticket sales would drop dramatically. At that point EVERYTHING would be affected - hotels, goods, services... And as for the recruitng class, they are already looking around. Many are probably going to go somewhere else to play at this point anyway. Then what do you have? You have a coach that can't win and a bad class coming in... Also, what have you seen in the development of players makes you think Chizik can turn this around?

I like the coach - a LOT. I like everything he stands for as a human. He seems to be a good man. But he is in over his head and our team is terrible ON and OFF the field.

I like Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden out of retirement. Cowher top choice. He's good and fiery and just looks like a football coach.

And neither one has ever been a college head coach. NO THANKS. IMO, They would be in way over their heads and FAIL miserably. We would be in much worse shape after them than we are now. Neither of them are that great of a coach. We deserve better than either of those.

I agree with the reason for being hesitant, but it is far from certain they would be "in over their heads" or "fail miserably."

And both were good to great coaches that each have Super Bowl rings. They did something right.

I don't get this minor fascination with Herm Edwards. He was mediocre to terrible as an NFL head coach and hasn't coached in college since the late 80s at San Jose State. Exactly what does he bring to the table?

Same story with Mangini. One decent year out of six seasons. One other winning season (barely) and the rest terrible. No college experience.

We should find out if Greg Schiano has any interest into returning to college football. IMO he would be the perfect fit!

I don't get this minor fascination with Herm Edwards. He was mediocre to terrible as an NFL head coach and hasn't coached in college since the late 80s at San Jose State. Exactly what does he bring to the table?

Same story with Mangini. One decent year out of six seasons. One other winning season (barely) and the rest terrible. No college experience.

You are far too kind.

Had a conversation with friends last night and Stoops got brought up. He is having (for OU and him) a down year. He has been at OU forever (like 13 years). Good things happen when you keep it fresh (ie Tubby at TT). It may be another pipe dream, but worth the discussion I think.

Archived