Jacobs Resigns?

tamck1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again...

Wanting a new AD is one thing. Getting excited about rumors of a man losing his job is borderline....

I am 100% positive that if Jay Jacobs is leaving Auburn for whatever reason you will be able to google it with no problem. Go eat dinner with your family, watch a movie, or just take a walk. It will be plastered all over the 11 oclock news when it happens.

I read on another site that Jay G. Tate is claiming JJ was supposed to resign today at noon, but something happened to prevent it?

Anyone heard/read this from Tate?

I saw on the scout board where someone mentioned this that he was supposed to but has delayed until after homecoming.

AUsome if true!

I saw on the scout board where someone mentioned this that he was supposed to but has delayed until after homecoming.

Link?

There was supposed to be a BOT meeting today. Might have some legs

I did not think it was until November 16th

I was hinted that it was moved up after last weekends showing. FWIW

I did not think it was until November 16th

I was hinted that it was moved up after last weekends showing. FWIW

It needs to happen like..........yesterday!

I've been a critic of Jay's for quite some time. I think he did the best job he could. Simply put, he made bad decisions and it cost him his job. Good luck to him in all his future pursuits. War Eagle

There is no question that big time changes need to be made. That said, I take no pleasure in seeing folks who meant well being shown the door. But when one draws to an inside straight, chances are that one will lose that hand.

I've been a critic of Jay's for quite some time. I think he did the best job he could. Simply put, he made bad decisions and it cost him his job. Good luck to him in all his future pursuits. War Eagle

Not a defender of Jay Jacobs just digging for information.

Jay Jacobs has had control since 2005

Good bullet points- Big driving force to all the top notch facilties we see around Auburn today.

Going into the 2012 season was the AD over a football program that won 71% of the time. 64-26 which is 3rd best in the SEC and is also better than Alabama and Georgia. 2 divisional championships, 1 SEC championship, 1 NC team, 1 undefeated season, and 1 heisman. 3 straight consecutive top 10 recruiting classes

He has been the AD over a mens basketball program that has won 50% of its basketball games. Auburn won 54% before he got here and I only remember mens basketball being relevant a few years in the late 90's. Has everyone forgot about the NCAA infractions resulting in loss of sholarships right before JJ took the job? Hard to build an average program with your hands tied.

I can find plenty of SEC championships under his watch from other sports.

Can you give me an Athletic Director from another school that I can compare to Jay Jacobs? I know this has been a bad year for football but I thought Auburn athletics as a whole has been doing pretty good over the last 6 or 7 years.

Why all the hatred for JJ?

Wasn't a BOT meeting it was an Athletic Advisory Committee meeting which includes BOT members as well as former athletes and other people.

Someone on the Scout board also said that some of the BOT members started a phone/email campaign to save JJ and that it seems to have worked.

Good bullet points- Big driving force to all the top notch facilties we see around Auburn today.

Going into the 2012 season was the AD over a football program that won 71% of the time. 64-26 which is 3rd best in the SEC and is also better than Alabama and Georgia. 2 divisional championships, 1 SEC championship, 1 NC team, 1 undefeated season, and 1 heisman. 3 straight consecutive top 10 recruiting classes

He has been the AD over a mens basketball program that has won 50% of its basketball games. Auburn won 54% before he got here and I only remember mens basketball being relevant a few years in the late 90's. Has everyone forgot about the NCAA infractions resulting in loss of sholarships right before JJ took the job? Hard to build an average program with your hands tied.

Can you give me an Athletic Director from another school that I can compare to Jay Jacobs? I know this has been a bad year for football but I thought Auburn athletics as a whole has been doing pretty good over the last 6 or 7 years.

(1) Because he stepped out on a limb and hired a 5-19 coach when Gary Patterson was available

(2) Because the men's basketball team has been irrelevant since he's been AD despite the facility improvement

(3) Because the men's baseball team has been irrelevant during his entire term as AD

(4) AND THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT - because he's responsible for two (2) head football coach contract buyouts that add up to more than $10 million, when we'd be miles ahead if either (or both) coaches left the program after achieving their zenith

You listed his good points, but his bad points are all the more glaring.

1. Gene Chizik's contract- There was no reason for such a heavy buyout to be placed on Gene Chizik. In fact the board wanted a much more performance based contract but Jay pushed for the one with the large buyout, because it's what his friend Chizik wanted. His inability to separate his friendship with the job, is not a good trait in an AD.

2. Off the field issues in the athletic programs- I can't remember a time before now where there have been so many arrests, disasters, and tragic situations surrounding the Auburn athleticl teams and it's players. While that's not necessarily Jacobs fault, it is part of his duty to instill a disciplined atmosphere with the coaches and rules that are set in the athletic programs, to keep the players from leaving. This is not just a problem with our football program, our basketball program has also suffered from a rather ridiculous rate of attrition as well.

3. Loss of Marsh from the Swimming Program- We were considered the number 1 swimming program in the country, Jacobs could have kept Marsh if he had been willing to pay the money and provide what Marsh wanted, which was not all that much considering the amount of success. Since Marsh's departure, the swimming & diving program has been in steady decline.

4. The "average or weak" play of our basketball and baseball programs. We have one of the best baseball stadiums in collegiate athetlcs, yet our baseball program is slowly declining. Our basketball program meanwhile has not even made it to the NCAA tourney from what I remember since Jacobs has taken over, and I think it's pretty clear now that the firing of Cliff Ellis was grossly premature and led us to being a doormat for almost decade in SEC basketball. (Hopefully, Barbee can show progress this year).

1-7! Losses to Miss State, Ole Miss, Arky, Vandy, worst rated offense in the SEC and the nation, (with one of the highest payrolls) hired a mail room manager (Jackson) and made him the assisant AD, and head of football operations, poor basketball play, poor baseball play, womens gymnastics, womens basketball, hied Chiz, then Chiz hired CSL.....Shall I go on?

the thing about jay jacobs is that he brought in all the great things for auburn in recent years....facilities and championships...and as a result raised the bar for all sports to succeed on a consistent basis. by winning 1 NC the program proved that it can compete on that level and by building the facilities the program proved that it wants to compete on that level. Now since we aren't competing on that level across the board he takes the bulk of that blame, which is what his position entails. and because he hired some of those people that aren't succeeding where it matters then he should be punished as a result.

1-7! Losses to Miss State, Ole Miss, Arky, Vandy, worst rated offense in the SEC and the nation, (with one of the highest payrolls) hired a mail room manager (Jackson) and made him the assisant AD, and head of football operations, poor basketball play, poor baseball play, womens gymnastics, womens basketball, hied Chiz, then Chiz hired CSL.....Shall I go on?

Now that you got it all out...

Do you fell better? ;)

I read on another site that Jay G. Tate is claiming JJ was supposed to resign today at noon, but something happened to prevent it?

Hell froze over?

Archived