Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

If you really look at Bobby's track record, it's not all that good. Don't get me wrong....He's a good coach and I am certain that within a couple of years he would have Auburn going to bowl games on an annual basis. But in the end, he is a 9 wins - 3 loss type of coach. Some good years, we might get to 10-2 and bad years we would be 7-5. He would never make a run at a NC.

And he's left every single school in a bad way. Louisville, Atlanta, and Arkansas. Why would we expect anything less from him. He's just not worth it.

I was watching the Louisville-Rutgers game the other night. Was not a big Charlie Strong fan. But starting to warm up to him. He was intense without being Bo Pelini anal. His staff was very organized. And you could tell he was highly respected by the players. The thought occurred to me that he would have the best chance of keeping the good players and recruits already set for Auburn. Plus with his Florida coaching background, he knows how to recruit in the SEC.

:roflol:

Louisville - helped move them into a BCS conference, won BCS conference and took them to a BCS bowl game. Was offered a job in the NFL and accepted.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was called last night from someone inside AD dept--

they said BP would be announced on Mon or Tues--

just reporting what I was told!

bad mistake if it is true. Auburn will regret hiring him.

Your opinion. Not fact. No way of knowing at the moment. Based off the past it would be but I live in the present. It is possible for people to turn their lives around. Hoping he has/is doing just that.

Patterson is still my first choice no matter what. If Bobby P never got in any of the trouble he has...just got a feeling about ole GP.

Thanks for that first post! Forgive me if I am a little skeptical.

If Bo, Sully and Mac all say he's the right guy, that's good enough for me. If not, I'll hope for someone even better.

We do agree afterall. Just like you, in the end, Im an Auburn man and will support my University if thats the way the search committee elects to go.

he may be a winner over all record, but still cannot beat bama & lsu consistently, never won the division!!!! does not like to have a team that can play defense.

Why people keep bringing up this silly argument is beyond me. There is not a single coach in the country that beats either one of those teams consistently since Saban was hired by spuat and Miles has been at LSU. They beat each other and that is pretty much it and we are not hiring Saban or Miles.

wde

he may be a winner over all record, but still cannot beat bama & lsu consistently, never won the division!!!! does not like to have a team that can play defense.

How many times has Ark won the divison? The only time they got to the SECCG was when everyone else beat eachother, and they were defacto to get a butt whoopin by UGA if I remember right. Petrino had them MUCH better on a year to year basis. Making these kind of statements accomplishes what? He's an O guy...if he comes, help him find a D guy to help. Solved.... Right now you'd need an O to hang 40+ every game to have a shot with our D...so I think it's fair to say we need some O too. I'm open on this hire...so long as it's a good one. Those flat out bashing Petrino need to breathe and realize it will all be okay. (Esp when Jacobs is gone)

How many times has Ark won the divison? The only time they got to the SECCG was when everyone else beat eachother, and they were defacto to get a butt whoopin by UGA if I remember right. Petrino had them MUCH better on a year to year basis. Making these kind of statements accomplishes what? He's an O guy...if he comes, help him find a D guy to help. Solved.... Right now you'd need an O to hang 40+ every game to have a shot with our D...so I think it's fair to say we need some O too. I'm open on this hire...so long as it's a good one. Those flat out bashing Petrino need to breathe and realize it will all be okay. (Esp when Jacobs is gone)

right and wrong. they have played in the SECCG three times getting thrashed by Florida twice and UGA once (2002 - this year they went in place of bama due to probation). You are correct that they won the division in "down" years. back then 6-2 would win the division. in 06 they were 7-1 in conference but finished 10-4 overall.

The only times Arkansas has played in the SEC Championship Game were under Houston Nutt. Petrino has never coached in an SEC Championship game.

The only times Arkansas has played in the SEC Championship Game were under Houston Nutt. Petrino has never coached in an SEC Championship game.

And how many times has a team other than bama or lsu played in the game while he was coaching...once. This is a retarded argument.

And I guess I should have added that by this logic we should have given Chizik another year...maybe last season was a fluke. :no: :no: :no:

And who are you or anyone else on this board for that matter that think you can judge someone. Are you morally perfect? Do you believe in forgiveness? Do you believe that people can change? The man can coach. That's what matters. He has to right the ship. Give him a chance. Sick of reading all the posts of negativity and judgement. Mike Slive gave his stamp of approval. Something has changed in BP.

And who are you or anyone else on this board for that matter that think you can judge someone. Are you morally perfect? Do you believe in forgiveness? Do you believe that people can change? The man can coach. That's what matters. He has to right the ship. Give him a chance. Sick of reading all the posts of negativity and judgement. Mike Slive gave his stamp of approval. Something has changed in BP.

How is the statement you quoted a judgement of him? Your post seems more like a judgment of him and his post was his opinion?

wrong...danny ford had them there in 95

If you think JJ and Pat Dye are making the AU decision NOT to hire Petrino, you're mistaken. Sure they have some influence (albeit varying degrees), but you need to look a little higher in the food chain.

Petrino won't be the AU head coach...at least not this time around. Maybe several years down the road when he actually has established an observable track record of high dependability, loyalty, judgment, integrity, etc., unlike now and assuming he is still interested. The only track record we have to look at right now is one of lies, bad decisions and self-centered actions that stretch back a number of years. You simply can't erase your past by pointing to on-field success and saying "I'm sorry, I'll do better, I'll change". It's certainly a good start assuming it is genuine. But the most important part is you have to actually go out and DO IT. Go be both the great offensive-minded coach you are while conducting yourself like a professional CEO of a very large and influential corporation that you also are. He hasn't done anything yet to establish a new track record as a coach.

This year's performance notwithstanding, a program at AU's historical level of prominence should not put itself in the vulnerable position of being his first test case. The risk is too high and the university is more important than any one person.

After 228 pages in this thread alone of rationalizing, arguing and name calling on both sides, the only likely thing we've produced is amusement among outside detractors at how the "AU Family" is at each other's throat. I suspect when the new coach is actually announced it may not make everyone here happy, but I think we should at least all be able to respect them and that will be a good start. War Eagle!

Herk, you just hit it out of the park. That post is the most grounded in reality of any Ive read. Sadly, the "all-in" Petrino crowd simply cant see beyond the end of their own lust for short term success and have hitched all of those hopes and dreams to what in their mind is Auburn's only chance for success..ie. hiring Bobby Petrino. All this talk about checking him out to make sure he's changed is completely farcical. Its only been 7 months since he was summarily terminated from his last gig. How much can be risked on his contrition and words of hope for the future? IMO very little until he SHOWS what the new BP is all about due diligence is a waste of time here simply because not enough time has transpired to base any due diligence on. In any event, I share the same opinions with you, that I dont honestly believe he will be named the next coach for all the reasons you and I see and agree upon.

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

How is the statement you quoted a judgement of him? Your post seems more like a judgment of him and his post was his opinion?

It's not just the post that I quoted. It's numerous amounts of posts of people bashing this guy. He did wrong, we understand that. Move on. And no an opinion would include "I think" or something that included themself. He spoke on behalf of Auburn in a factual statement.

I will support whomever AU hires fwiw. I'll give anyone a chance at this point.

Guys, you bring up great points.I don't want us to be a win at all cost program, but I am sick and tired of 8-9 win seasons and those in our fan base that are OK with that. After 1983, 1993 & 2004 our 2010 season should have been a springborad for our program to consistently be a top SECC program, not a time to be satisfied for another 50 years. BP is a winner, period. He has baggage that does not gel with the creed, but he wins and had he stayed at ARK he probably would have beat AU more than AU beat him. This is a huge hire that our brass needs to get right for the short & long haul. If we take a chance on someone in the "hope they can do it" category with BP available there will be hell to pay if Coach Hope does not deliver. I know this sounds like I am pro Petrino, but I am not. I am just saying since a winner is available that has always liked AU , wanted to be our HC before and he is available now DO NOT hire a weaker candidate using BP's baggage as an excuse ! If he only stays at Auburn 3-4 years he will turn over a much more competitive program for the next HC and Auburn will be a more desirable job than today. I prefer this over looking for another HC in 3-4 years with our program in the toilet because Coach Hope did not WIN. The SECC arms race is just getting tougher. GA might be the next NC in the SECC (recruiting GA just got tougher) and they won't fall off the map like we did. TN & ARK are swinging for the fence and at least one will land a solid HC given their efforts. T A&M is off to a good start, has a frosh sensation QB and the state of TX to recruit in with UT struggling. Our leadership needs to get it right and I don't want to hear excuses or justifucation for more 8-9 win seasons down the road.

War Damn Eagle !

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Tenn. and Kentucky don’t/didn’t want Petrino? Why do you think Arky wouldn’t give him another chance?

My opinion: Because he is not the right guy for the short and long haul!

Former AUBURN FOOTBALL PLAYERS would disagree with you. Those players that played under Petrino when he was at AU have come out and said that if Auburn wants to win championships, they will hire Petrino now. But, I guess you message board jockeys are much much smarter and know way more about football than people that have actually worn the AU uniform and played the game. Give me a break.

If you think JJ and Pat Dye are making the AU decision NOT to hire Petrino, you're mistaken. Sure they have some influence (albeit varying degrees), but you need to look a little higher in the food chain.

Petrino won't be the AU head coach...at least not this time around. Maybe several years down the road when he actually has established an observable track record of high dependability, loyalty, judgment, integrity, etc., unlike now and assuming he is still interested. The only track record we have to look at right now is one of lies, bad decisions and self-centered actions that stretch back a number of years. You simply can't erase your past by pointing to on-field success and saying "I'm sorry, I'll do better, I'll change". It's certainly a good start assuming it is genuine. But the most important part is you have to actually go out and DO IT. Go be both the great offensive-minded coach you are while conducting yourself like a professional CEO of a very large and influential corporation that you also are. He hasn't done anything yet to establish a new track record as a coach.

This year's performance notwithstanding, a program at AU's historical level of prominence should not put itself in the vulnerable position of being his first test case. The risk is too high and the university is more important than any one person.

After 228 pages in this thread alone of rationalizing, arguing and name calling on both sides, the only likely thing we've produced is amusement among outside detractors at how the "AU Family" is at each other's throat. I suspect when the new coach is actually announced it may not make everyone here happy, but I think we should at least all be able to respect them and that will be a good start. War Eagle!

Herk, you just hit it out of the park. That post is the most grounded in reality of any Ive read. Sadly, the "all-in" Petrino crowd simply cant see beyond the end of their own lust for short term success and have hitched all of those hopes and dreams to what in their mind is Auburn's only chance for success..ie. hiring Bobby Petrino. All this talk about checking him out to make sure he's changed is completely farcical. Its only been 7 months since he was summarily terminated from his last gig. How much can be risked on his contrition and words of hope for the future? IMO very little until he SHOWS what the new BP is all about due diligence is a waste of time here simply because not enough time has transpired to base any due diligence on. In any event, I share the same opinions with you, that I dont honestly believe he will be named the next coach for all the reasons you and I see and agree upon.

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

Your posts are so revealing of such a narrow perspective. Clearly, you believe Bobby Petrino is the only candidate in the entire pool of possibilities that can eclipse an 8 - 5 record. Even if I believed that, honestly, I wouldn't be rushing in to post it as much as you do. It significantly diminishes the possibility of anyone taking your posts seriouisly.

wrong...danny ford had them there in 95

You are correct. I don't want him or Houston Nutt either.

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

Your posts are so revealing of such a narrow perspective. Clearly, you believe Bobby Petrino is the only candidate in the entire pool of possibilities that can eclipse an 8 - 5 record. Even if I believed that, honestly, I wouldn't be rushing in to post it as much as you do. It significantly diminishes the possibility of anyone taking your posts seriouisly.

Your opinion of me and your influence on people of this board mean very little. So please stop.

And also you really aren't correct in what you posted. I have said that Patterson wouldn't be a horrible hire, nor would some other guys. But since I believe that Petrino is our best shot, and since I disagree with your abhorrence of Petrino, you can't see that. That's cool.

So who's your guy then? Now remember, he has to beat Bammer and LSU consistently and won the division to qualify under your high standards. We'll all just be waiting to hear your response.

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

Your opinion of me and your influence on people of this board mean very little. So please stop.ou

My infuence on this board? Are you serious? Let me guess...you think you have great influence here? LMAO. I have no interest in influencing anyone. I have a right to post here as I see fit as long as Im not breaking the rules. I will continue to post at my leisure because of people like you who are so misguided in their lust for short term success they simply cannot see beyond their limited opinions. I am convinced that you're not even interested in whats best for Auburn. Your mind is made up that only Bobby Petrino will do and everything else be damned. Like I said such a narrow perspective its very difficult to take anything you post seriously. You might say you're that others wouldn't he horrible but your ongoing defenses of BP have been over the top with venom and basically mean spirited rancor..thats what I making refernce to.

Archived