Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Petrino supporters for the most part believe we can only win with him. Personally I would love have him. But I would also love to have Stoops, Fisher, Peterson or Patterson. What we have a hard time understanding are the 35% percent or so of the fan base that would rather have an unproven coach over him. Its truly mind boggling.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Those who don't want Petrino at all are Creed thumpers. No other way to put it. They're no more of an Auburn fan than anyone else.

Do you have kids

I don't understand how we can only win with BP. Can we not win and have someone that would better represent the values of the University? Do we really have to pick one or the other?

Give up man. I know EXACTLY what you're saying. But you're not going to convince people here. So just let them go. Coach isn't picked off message boards anyway so be thankful for that, too. People literally see BP as our only option to win and are letting some true colors out now on what they think is most important. I gave up arguing about this lol.

BP isnt our "only option" to win but he isclearly our "surest option". He has won at a lesser institution in the very division and conference that AU competes. No other candidate comes close. Coaches with BP's resume dont fail. He is as sure as Saban to UA, Spurrier to USCe and Meyers to Oh St. There is a reason the Falcons hired him. The only other coaches that were NFL HC's in the SEC? Spurrier and Saban. Of the coaches to lead two different programs to BCS games, BP is the only to lead his programs to their first BCS victories.

And we are supposed to be against BP because he cheated on his wife? Are we hiring a football coach or a pastor? If required surgery would you disqualify one of the top surgeons in America because he cheated on his wife? After all, the second and third best could probably do just as well, right? No, most sane people would retain the best services they could afford and leave the judging to God. But he lied to his employer you say? Wonder how many people would volunteer information that would result in their termination? You guys remind of the people who wear the "stop snitching" shirts. They believe in it until its them facing time. Then the compromises begin. Pretty easy to say what you would and would not do when you have never had the partlcular experience.

I don't understand how we can only win with BP. Can we not win and have someone that would better represent the values of the University? Do we really have to pick one or the other?

I don't think Petrino supporters for the most part believe we can only win with him. Personally I would love have him. But I would also love to have Stoops, Fisher, Peterson or Patterson. What we have a hard time understanding are the 35% percent or so of the fan base that would rather have an unproven coach over him. Its truly mind boggling.

This is patent foolishness. Let's unpack this BOLD assertion. :-\

First of all, the Petrino fan club on this board is either unable or unwilling to understand that the poll on AUF is NOT representative of the entire "Auburn family". To somehow assert as if it is now a verifiable fact is ludicrous. The demographic of this and any other AU football discussion board is actually very narrow--almost entirely male and probably about 75% between 20-40 yrs old. Now I know you would like to believe that is the only group that matters, but you're wrong if you do. If you want to take that perspective, you would be wise to consider who is NOT in that slice of the AU family. You are actually in the minority, a very vocal minority especially here, but a minority nonetheless.

And as far as those who do not support AU hiring Petrino, who said that those of us who don't like the idea of a Petrino hire buy into this notion that the only other option is "an unproven coach"? To suggest that BP is the only answer is such tunnel vision that it would be baffling to even an unbiased observer. There are many other choices and AU will hire one of them, the sooner the better.

WHOEVER the next coach is better not be a up and coming, little to no experience, losing record Mr nice guy. That's all I'm saying. If we hire another CGC than I will be pissed!!!! I will always love and suppord Auburn but I will be pissed!!!!

The 8 and 5ers will love it though!

This is patent foolishness. Let's unpack this BOLD assertion. :-\/>

First of all, the Petrino fan club on this board is either unable or unwilling to understand that the poll on AUF is NOT representative of the entire "Auburn family". To somehow assert as if it is now a verifiable fact is ludicrous. The demographic of this and any other AU football discussion board is actually very narrow--almost entirely male and probably about 75% between 20-40 yrs old. Now I know you would like to believe that is the only group that matters, but you're wrong if you do. If you want to take that perspective, you would be wise to consider who is NOT in that slice of the AU family. You are actually in the minority, a very vocal minority especially here, but a minority nonetheless.

And as far as those who do not support AU hiring Petrino, who said that those of us who don't like the idea of a Petrino hire buy into this notion that the only other option is "an unproven coach"? To suggest that BP is the only answer is such tunnel vision that it would be baffling to even an unbiased observer. There are many other choices and AU will hire one of them, the sooner the better.

First off who said I was using that poll to base my opinion on. And I think it is just as unfair to presume that I feel that demographic is the only one that matters. Clearly everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion, and I have never stated he was our only option, but to completely dismiss him is <disagreeable with me>.

Those of us that do support hiring Petrino have already said that he's not the only choice we'd take.

I've seen people say Gus and then others throw out Richt, Mullen, Muschamp, and Franklin as an example of hiring people with no head coaching expeience. Those are the one's that have tunnel vision.

Did richt franklin muschamp or mullen have hc experience

Nope.

Exactly my point

When I read this post I thought "ok, he's citing some examples of coaches that have won with no head coaching experience". But then I thought richt has 2 championships in 12 years (Auburn fans LOVE those type of coaches), Muschamp, Franklin and Mullen haven't really sniffed a championship. Muschamp had a good year though. Had a little scare against the ragin cajuns but what elite coach doesn't right?

Right I have tunnel vision...sorry I have higher standards for auburn. ...a lot of you sound like the bamma fan base....sad

That's exactly what I'm saying. Those who don't want Petrino at all are Creed thumpers. No other way to put it. They're no more of an Auburn fan than anyone else.

Do you have kids

we are not considering whether we should be hiring jerry sandusky...wth do kids have to do with this?

Nope.

Exactly my point

When I read this post I thought "ok, he's citing some examples of coaches that have won with no head coaching experience". But then I thought richt has 2 championships in 12 years (Auburn fans LOVE those type of coaches), Muschamp, Franklin and Mullen haven't really sniffed a championship. Muschamp had a good year though. Had a little scare against the ragin cajuns but what elite coach doesn't right?

And with that same logic you justify petrino...that's moronic

none of them have regularly defeated saban...

Neither has petrino

Do you have kids

we not considering hiring jerry sandusky...wth do kids have to do with this?

If you don't understand the logic behind the ? then there's no need for a response

The one thing that keeps sticking in my mind that could be used to influence Dr Gouge to accept a BP recommendation would be the money. JJ's poor decisions are prooving to be costly. With BP there would be no buy out to a school. Just imagine what our prospect list would look like if you take what AU will end up paying the new head coach, add what AU will be paying xCGC, and add that to the new guy's buy out. Wow, we would be able to compete against NFL teams. I could see Dr Gouge weighing this out and seeing the need to get "right side up", so to speak.

Who has? Oh wait, we ran off the only coach who has beaten saban more than saban has beaten him.

Those of us that do support hiring Petrino have already said that he's not the only choice we'd take.

I've seen people say Gus and then others throw out Richt, Mullen, Muschamp, and Franklin as an example of hiring people with no head coaching expeience. Those are the one's that have tunnel vision.

Don't try to bring truth to the 8 and 5ers, they will only skim over it and keep spouting the same drivel that we "Petrino extremists" want him and no other. :laugh:

Neither has petrino

sorry, i should have turned on the sarcasm button. how many posts within this thread have talked about petrino not defeating saban? i would venture to guess at least 100.

my point being that "beating saban" as a prerequisite for our next HC is <disagreeable with me>.

Don't try to bring truth to the 8 and 5ers, they will only skim over it and keep spouting the same drivel that we "Petrino extremists" want him and no other. :laugh:/>

Pot call kettle black

Neither has petrino

sorry, i should have turned on the sarcasm button. how many posts within this thread have talked about petrino not defeating saban? i would venture to guess at least 100.

my point being that "beating saban" as a prerequisite for our next HC is <disagreeable with me>.

Gotcha

Right I have tunnel vision...sorry I have higher standards for auburn. ...a lot of you sound like the bamma fan base....sad

All the while, the program is playing for their third BCSNC in four years. UA will also likely open #1 next year with an opportunity to make it an unprecedented three in a row. We were 0-8 in the SEC. All those with any semblemce of objectivity are laughing at you. As is the rest of college football.

Higher standards? LOL.

And the true 8 and 5er mentality finally rears its ugly head. :laugh:

Archived