Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobby Petrino and Jimbo Fisher are the guys. They have been for the past 5-10 years. Forgiveness is not an option for a few judgmental fans, aka saints, that are going to have to get over it.

Save your bluster. It's not about forgiveness. Petrino will remain a backup plan even when/if others ahead of him fall off the list. All of this breathless discussion is interesting...and irrelevant.

Bobby Petrino and Jimbo Fisher are the guys. They have been for the past 5-10 years. Forgiveness is not an option for a few judgmental fans, aka saints, that are going to have to get over it.

Past 5 years???

Didn't a Jimbo coached team lose to Virginia last year and get mopped by Florida this year?

Jimbo has a 3 and 5 record against top 25 teams and one of the wins that I give him credit for was over a highly overrated 2010 Miami team. No ACC title either??? I don't even recall his offenses in 2008 and 2009 blowing up scoreboards in the mighty defensive ACC.

I would take BP over JF in a heart beat

If you think JJ and Pat Dye are making the AU decision NOT to hire Petrino, you're mistaken. Sure they have some influence (albeit varying degrees), but you need to look a little higher in the food chain.

Petrino won't be the AU head coach...at least not this time around. Maybe several years down the road when he actually has established an observable track record of high dependability, loyalty, judgment, integrity, etc., unlike now and assuming he is still interested. The only track record we have to look at right now is one of lies, bad decisions and self-centered actions that stretch back a number of years. You simply can't erase your past by pointing to on-field success and saying "I'm sorry, I'll do better, I'll change". It's certainly a good start assuming it is genuine. But the most important part is you have to actually go out and DO IT. Go be both the great offensive-minded coach you are while conducting yourself like a professional CEO of a very large and influential corporation that you also are. He hasn't done anything yet to establish a new track record as a coach.

This year's performance notwithstanding, a program at AU's historical level of prominence should not put itself in the vulnerable position of being his first test case. The risk is too high and the university is more important than any one person.

After 228 pages in this thread alone of rationalizing, arguing and name calling on both sides, the only likely thing we've produced is amusement among outside detractors at how the "AU Family" is at each other's throat. I suspect when the new coach is actually announced it may not make everyone here happy, but I think we should at least all be able to respect them and that will be a good start. War Eagle!

Herk, you just hit it out of the park. That post is the most grounded in reality of any Ive read. Sadly, the "all-in" Petrino crowd simply cant see beyond the end of their own lust for short term success and have hitched all of those hopes and dreams to what in their mind is Auburn's only chance for success..ie. hiring Bobby Petrino. All this talk about checking him out to make sure he's changed is completely farcical. Its only been 7 months since he was summarily terminated from his last gig. How much can be risked on his contrition and words of hope for the future? IMO very little until he SHOWS what the new BP is all about due diligence is a waste of time here simply because not enough time has transpired to base any due diligence on. In any event, I share the same opinions with you, that I dont honestly believe he will be named the next coach for all the reasons you and I see and agree upon.

Please stop discussing Petrino. Why woud anyone want him. He is trouble.

I would almost bet you lie and cheat on your wife or girl friend. Lol

Once again this is an example of what the culture of this program has become. ..wining the NC was a blessing but becoming a curse

I cannot believe that this was posted. A curse? You need to do some soul searching and decide whether you want Auburn football to be successful or an average team. This is what is wrong with the culture within the Auburn fanbase. I really believe that some of you would rather lose and stay average than resemble a winning program and win championships. If this sounds like I am calling you out, then GOOD. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM DOING. Good grief man grow a pair.

And in your mind what would a fanbase from a winning program look like?

We all want to win. It's just some of us still beleive that it can be done in the right way under the right leadership.

From what I have read on this board, not ours. Some of you have got to come to grips with something. This coaching hire is incredibly critical to where Auburn will go and to creating a winning culture within the program. It is okay to win championships. It doesn't make us look like Alabama. And I know that that is the one thing that I have heard many AU fans say.

"I would rather lose and be what we are, than win championships and resemble anything bammer."

The above statement is the issue. If you want to win games, you hire the best coach. If he happens to be a good guy, cool. If he doesn't then who gives a crap.

The vision that you have for the future of Auburn football is not much different than mine. I just have my reservations about Petrino being the coach based on past results.

I am sure there was alot of posters on Louisville message boards saying the same thing you are before they hired Petrino. I am sure that numerous people loved that he came to Arkansas. Has he taken either one of these programs to the promised land?

Petrino put Arkansas, ARKANSAS, on the national stage. That really isn't an easy thing to do. He is a great coach. I just don't see how anybody can question that. Now the off the field stuff can be debated IMO, but that is a seperate issue.

Arkansas was already on the national stage before Petrino got there. Heck, they won the SEC West and played in the SEC Championship game in 2006. The national stage he put Arkansas on was not flattering to him or Arkansas.

If you think JJ and Pat Dye are making the AU decision NOT to hire Petrino, you're mistaken. Sure they have some influence (albeit varying degrees), but you need to look a little higher in the food chain.

Petrino won't be the AU head coach...at least not this time around. Maybe several years down the road when he actually has established an observable track record of high dependability, loyalty, judgment, integrity, etc., unlike now and assuming he is still interested. The only track record we have to look at right now is one of lies, bad decisions and self-centered actions that stretch back a number of years. You simply can't erase your past by pointing to on-field success and saying "I'm sorry, I'll do better, I'll change". It's certainly a good start assuming it is genuine. But the most important part is you have to actually go out and DO IT. Go be both the great offensive-minded coach you are while conducting yourself like a professional CEO of a very large and influential corporation that you also are. He hasn't done anything yet to establish a new track record as a coach.

This year's performance notwithstanding, a program at AU's historical level of prominence should not put itself in the vulnerable position of being his first test case. The risk is too high and the university is more important than any one person.

After 228 pages in this thread alone of rationalizing, arguing and name calling on both sides, the only likely thing we've produced is amusement among outside detractors at how the "AU Family" is at each other's throat. I suspect when the new coach is actually announced it may not make everyone here happy, but I think we should at least all be able to respect them and that will be a good start. War Eagle!

Herk, you just hit it out of the park. That post is the most grounded in reality of any Ive read. Sadly, the "all-in" Petrino crowd simply cant see beyond the end of their own lust for short term success and have hitched all of those hopes and dreams to what in their mind is Auburn's only chance for success..ie. hiring Bobby Petrino. All this talk about checking him out to make sure he's changed is completely farcical. Its only been 7 months since he was summarily terminated from his last gig. How much can be risked on his contrition and words of hope for the future? IMO very little until he SHOWS what the new BP is all about due diligence is a waste of time here simply because not enough time has transpired to base any due diligence on. In any event, I share the same opinions with you, that I dont honestly believe he will be named the next coach for all the reasons you and I see and agree upon.

Ok good deal and when all the good coaches look at JJ and say no way I'm working for you, then we hire another Chizik with the same outcome less the NC. That's what scares most of us to death and deep down we all know that this is a very good possibility. I don't think many of the pro-BP group are saying he is there first choice we just know that the powers that will make the decision will totally screw it up.

I agree 100% ++

My main concern with the new hire, whom-ever it may be, is the AD and Pres that will be making the decision! JJ has more influence than Dr G is letting on (if not JJ who) and most of us simply don't trust JJ's judgement. (i.e. "I decided to hire Chiz when he was packing his bags for Texas") Yes, that is a JJ quote!!

I feel this is what is causing a-lot of the 228 pages of arguing and rationalizing. In short, if Dr G. had the back bone to have already fired JJ, and a competent AD, we could trust, was in place doing the inteviews, we would act much more like a family!

Coach Chizik did a great job with plenty of help from his assistants at recruiting talent. We won a National Championship with heavy Senior leadership(Tubberville's talent.) Having SuperCam was great recruiting. But Chizik also rode his talent into the basement of the SEC.

Who is the coach that can take this talent to possibly another championship? BOBBY PETRINO. He is a moral disaster. But his image is now on the line. He needs success. He needs to win. We need someone to develop these talented kids. We need to win. Petrino will get another chance at rebuilding his perception. Might as well be at Auburn. He could be thought of as just Saban-like(you know how Saban is viewed, it ain't roses.) His moral character can be handled at home.

Auburn is not viewed in the best light because other fanatics wish they had Mr. Cameron Newton. No matter what good Auburn does, there are plenty of sour grapes out there. There are polls out there that say Auburn should not hire Petrino. But I started wondering, "how many sour grapes factored into that poll?" If they can stop Auburn from success and Petrino went elsewhere, eventually Petrino's affair is secondary. Auburn would still hear about "CamGate." Those sour grapes. How much do we hear about Saban lying to the Miami Dolphins for blood money? Alabama proved that Saban could be bought and Saban couldn't man-up about it. He ran. But he's winning. The way he went about things was wrong, but it's secondary.

Petrino can make his bone-headed decision secondary by winning, at Auburn. He has the talent he needs. I'm sure those kids have something to prove. They need a coach with proven success. Petrino can develop that talent. The naysayers don't want Auburn to get Petrino because they know he has one of the great minds in college football. They would have to have sour grapes over Cam AND Petrino.

WAR EAGLE!

Petrino is not my first choice, my fear is with the constant meddling and booted decisions, that a higher tier coach than BP will walk away from an AU offer.

With the reputation of JJ and the meddling being known by a potential coach with names of people like Patterson and even Muschamp in the past, we COULD end up with BP as opposed to some less well known and/or major college or pro experienced staff.

We are our own worst enemy right now and I'm not talking about the aufamily division over BP.

My greatest concern is that we end up with him by default. I would love to be wrong. It can't be argued that he is a good coach, other obvious points of contention among many will remain even if hired. He would be supported by a very wary alumni and fanbase.

We all deserve a second chance, the timing of that is an issue at the moment.

Guys, you bring up great points.I don't want us to be a win at all cost program, but I am sick and tired of 8-9 win seasons and those in our fan base that are OK with that. After 1983, 1993 & 2004 our 2010 season should have been a springborad for our program to consistently be a top SECC program, not a time to be satisfied for another 50 years. BP is a winner, period. He has baggage that does not gel with the creed, but he wins and had he stayed at ARK he probably would have beat AU more than AU beat him. This is a huge hire that our brass needs to get right for the short & long haul. If we take a chance on someone in the "hope they can do it" category with BP available there will be hell to pay if Coach Hope does not deliver. I know this sounds like I am pro Petrino, but I am not. I am just saying since a winner is available that has always liked AU , wanted to be our HC before and he is available now DO NOT hire a weaker candidate using BP's baggage as an excuse ! If he only stays at Auburn 3-4 years he will turn over a much more competitive program for the next HC and Auburn will be a more desirable job than today. I prefer this over looking for another HC in 3-4 years with our program in the toilet because Coach Hope did not WIN. The SECC arms race is just getting tougher. GA might be the next NC in the SECC (recruiting GA just got tougher) and they won't fall off the map like we did. TN & ARK are swinging for the fence and at least one will land a solid HC given their efforts. T A&M is off to a good start, has a frosh sensation QB and the state of TX to recruit in with UT struggling. Our leadership needs to get it right and I don't want to hear excuses or justifucation for more 8-9 win seasons down the road.

War Damn Eagle !

Guys, you bring up great points.I don't want us to be a win at all cost program, but I am sick and tired of 8-9 win seasons and those in our fan base that are OK with that. After 1983, 1993 & 2004 our 2010 season should have been a springborad for our program to consistently be a top SECC program, not a time to be satisfied for another 50 years. BP is a winner, period. He has baggage that does not gel with the creed, but he wins and had he stayed at ARK he probably would have beat AU more than AU beat him. This is a huge hire that our brass needs to get right for the short & long haul. If we take a chance on someone in the "hope they can do it" category with BP available there will be hell to pay if Coach Hope does not deliver. I know this sounds like I am pro Petrino, but I am not. I am just saying since a winner is available that has always liked AU , wanted to be our HC before and he is available now DO NOT hire a weaker candidate using BP's baggage as an excuse ! If he only stays at Auburn 3-4 years he will turn over a much more competitive program for the next HC and Auburn will be a more desirable job than today. I prefer this over looking for another HC in 3-4 years with our program in the toilet because Coach Hope did not WIN. The SECC arms race is just getting tougher. GA might be the next NC in the SECC (recruiting GA just got tougher) and they won't fall off the map like we did. TN & ARK are swinging for the fence and at least one will land a solid HC given their efforts. T A&M is off to a good start, has a frosh sensation QB and the state of TX to recruit in with UT struggling. Our leadership needs to get it right and I don't want to hear excuses or justifucation for more 8-9 win seasons down the road.

War Damn Eagle !

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Tenn. and Kentucky don’t/didn’t want Petrino? Why do you think Arky wouldn’t give him another chance?

My opinion: Because he is not the right guy for the short and long haul!

War Damn Eagle !

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Tenn. and Kentucky don’t/didn’t want Petrino? Why do you think Arky wouldn’t give him another chance?

I thought I read he was in the mix for Tennessee. He is also in the mix for Colorado, Cal, and Southern Miss.

War Damn Eagle !

I can't answer that for TN or KY. My guess, besides baggage is after TN turned over LK & DD in such a short period they would not risk hiring a HC that has a history of moving around. As far as KY is concerned they are a BB school and FB has NEVER been a top priority. Look at KY's "priorities" when they hired JC with his NCAA baggage to lead their BB team. I get your point and I made mine. BP is not my choice, but don't give ne excuses for hiring a 8-9 win HC.

War Eagle !

If you really look at Bobby's track record, it's not all that good. Don't get me wrong....He's a good coach and I am certain that within a couple of years he would have Auburn going to bowl games on an annual basis. But in the end, he is a 9 wins - 3 loss type of coach. Some good years, we might get to 10-2 and bad years we would be 7-5. He would never make a run at a NC.

And he's left every single school in a bad way. Louisville, Atlanta, and Arkansas. Why would we expect anything less from him. He's just not worth it.

I was watching the Louisville-Rutgers game the other night. Was not a big Charlie Strong fan. But starting to warm up to him. He was intense without being Bo Pelini anal. His staff was very organized. And you could tell he was highly respected by the players. The thought occurred to me that he would have the best chance of keeping the good players and recruits already set for Auburn. Plus with his Florida coaching background, he knows how to recruit in the SEC.

War Damn Eagle !

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Tenn. and Kentucky don't/didn't want Petrino? Why do you think Arky wouldn't give him another chance?

I thought I read he was in the mix for Tennessee. He is also in the mix for Colorado, Cal, and Southern Miss.

Let him go to one of those places and prove himself worthy of a big time job once again. I just don't think he's actually changed his core character. He will cause AU major problems at some point. It's a chance we don't have to take.

Was called last night from someone inside AD dept--

they said BP would be announced on Mon or Tues--

just reporting what I was told!

bad mistake if it is true. Auburn will regret hiring him.

Archived