Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Sean Payton is about to be the highest paid head coach in the NFL next season. This, after being fined, forfeiting $7million in salary, and being banned for an entire season after signing off on a bounty scandal in which Saints players were rewarded with gifts for injuring star players of other teams. Payton has done the time for the crime and is now likely to be the highest paid coach in the NFL with the Saints or Cowboys. Why can't the Petrino haters lay down their pitchforks and realize Petrino is a talented coach and we'd be very lucky to have him?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean Payton is about to be the highest paid head coach in the NFL next season. This, after being fined, forfeiting $7million in salary, and being banned for an entire season after signing off on a bounty scandal in which Saints players were rewarded with gifts for injuring star players of other teams. Payton has done the time for the crime and is now likely to be the highest paid coach in the NFL with the Saints or Cowboys. Why can't the Petrino haters lay down their pitchforks and realize Petrino is a talented coach and we'd be very lucky to have him?

Here's WarBlogle's answer (SIAP).

Ok

Okay? So IF CBP is hired what then? Are all those who hate him so much going to stop supporting Auburn football/ If CBP is not hired I will still support Auburn football and the coach but if we do not win a coach not named Petrino and Petrino goes somewhere and wins big I will be EXTREMELY pissed.

Does WarBlogle forget the fact that Jetgate was instigated by brilliant "Auburn men" who secretly flew up up Louisville? Also, how many coaches have chased bigger job opportunties? Its WarBlogles mindset, chasing that elusive "Auburn man" which has caused us to go over 50 years without a championship. Petrino knows how to win. Hire him.

Besides the typos that was very well put.

Does WarBlogle forget the fact that Jetgate was instigated by brilliant "Auburn men" who secretly flew up up Louisville? Also, how many coaches have chased bigger job opportunties? Its WarBlogles mindset, chasing that elusive "Auburn man" which has caused us to go over 50 years without a championship. Petrino knows how to win. Hire him.

I have never understood the fascination people have with Jetgate. That fiasco is on the Auburn guys who went up there and let it leak out.

He's just NOT the best option. No defense and he has never gone through an SEC schedule without at least two conference losses.

He's just NOT the best option. No defense and he has never gone through an SEC schedule without at least to conference losses.

Defense got better every year and getting Arky to being a 2 loss team is going way above the raw talent level at Arky. Only valid arguments on Petrino are off field arguments.

TheJetGate deal was a dark night in Auburn football lore no doubt but here's the point thats somewhat being brushed under the rug. He had been in Jacksonville with the Jags as OC and Im not exactly sure what happened there but I think he may have gotten fired. He had said he wanted to get into the college game and Tubs gave him that chance where he came to Auburn for one year before leaving. Some folks think his willlingness to participate in the discussions to replace the guy that got him his chance to get into the college game was underhanded and frankly classless. Nobody faults coaches for chasing better jobs but the way this guy has consistently gone about doing that has been terribly cutthroat to say the least. The 2 guys at Auburn who were players in that fiasco were both replaced in pretty short order.

I have never understood the fascination people have with Jetgate. That fiasco is on the Auburn guys who went up there and let it leak out.

I tend to agree that this one is not the best argument against Petrino. I mean, it would be kind of silly of him not to listen to Auburn folks wanting to discuss hiring him from Louisville. I also don't think he owed it to Louisville not to listen. So, I agree that Petrino is unfairly tarnished by Jetgate.

On the other hand, I also understand why folks are quick to paint Petrino in a negative light. The guy has done some smarmy things and does not project trustworthiness. I am also sympathetic to the idea that we shouldn't base our decision about the next coach solely on character issues. I think, though, that these should be a factor in our decision.

TheJetGate deal was a dark night in Auburn football lore no doubt but here's the point thats somewhat being brushed under the rug. He had been in Jacksonville with the Jags as OC and Im not exactly sure what happened there but I think he may have gotten fired. He had said he wanted to get into the college game and Tubs gave him that chance where he came to Auburn for one year before leaving. Some folks think his willlingness to participate in the discussions to replace the guy that got him his chance to get into the college game was underhanded and frankly classless. Nobody faults coaches for chasing better jobs but the way this guy has consistently gone about doing that has been terribly cutthroat to say the least. The 2 guys at Auburn who were players in that fiasco were both replaced in pretty short order.

Yeah, disloyalty to TT is a good point. But we don't know the details of their relationship. Maybe TT was all good and BP was all bad and disloyal. On the other hand, maybe something happened there we don't know about and BP had a reason not to think he owed TT. I don't know.

He's just NOT the best option. No defense and he has never gone through an SEC schedule without at least to conference losses.

Defense got better every year and getting Arky to being a 2 loss team is going way above the raw talent level at Arky. Only valid arguments on Petrino are off field arguments.

Disagree E. If he is as good as his support group claims, he could win the SEC at Arkansas. Even HN got them to the championship game. I'm not saying he is not a good coach, just not an elite level coach.

Yeah, disloyalty to TT is a good point. But we don't know the details of their relationship. Maybe TT was all good and BP was all bad and disloyal. On the other hand, maybe something happened there we don't know about and BP had a reason not to think he owed TT. I don't know.

You make good points but IMO he at least owed him the professional courtesy of not trying to cut his throat one year removed from granting him his entree into the college game

Disagree E. If he is as good as his support group claims, he could win the SEC at Arkansas. Even HN got them to the championship game. I'm not saying he is not a good coach, just not an elite level coach.

Nutt lucked into it. His teams were not as consistently good as BP's were becoming. Nutt's teams were up and down like a yo yo. As long as Bama and LSU are where they are Arky does not have the resources to beat them. If BP was the coach when Bama and LSU were down like Nutt was he would have owned the west for the most part instead of stumbling through like Nutt did.

You make good points but IMO he at least owed him the professional courtesy of not trying to cut his throat one year removed from granting him his entree into the college game

Yeah, I'm sympathetic to that point. Looking at it from the outside, without knowing the details of their relationship, I'd say you're right. But maybe TT ripped his headset off at some point ... who knows?

Just not convinced that Jetgate alone is enough of a reason to be against him. Even if that were dropped, though, I do think that Petrino's overall reputation for not being trustworthy is well-deserved.

He wasn't trying to "cut his throat." Auburn approached him and said xCTT was being let go at the end of the season. It wasn't contingent on whether Petrino was interested or not, as far as he knew, Tubs was getting fired. He just had to decide if he wanted to be the next coach or not.

Yeah, I'm sympathetic to that point. Looking at it from the outside, without knowing the details of their relationship, I'd say you're right. But maybe TT ripped his headset off at some point ... who knows?

Just not convinced that Jetgate alone is enough of a reason to be against him. Even if that were dropped, though, I do think that Petrino's overall reputation for not being trustworthy is well-deserved.

Obviously, Ive given this topic a lot of thought. Ive about decided Im not really against Petrino but still contend that Auburn can do better. I also dont mind saying that I'll be glad when this whole ordeal is concluded and we can move on permanently

He wasn't trying to "cut his throat." Auburn approached him and said xCTT was being let go at the end of the season. It wasn't contingent on whether Petrino was interested or not, as far as he knew, Tubs was getting fired. He just had to decide if he wanted to be the next coach or not.

Yeah I know. I posted as much in an earlier post and also reminded all that the 2 players from Auburn who orchestrated that fiasco were quickly replaced. He didn't have to say he was interested. Afterall, he had only been at Louisville for one year. When approached he could've just as easily easily have said...you know Tubs was good to me for giving me a chance to get back into the the college game and passed on it.....but he didn't. He was willing to take his job and IMO thats tantamount to cutting his throat. you see it differently..no problem. Thats the way I see and you wont change my point of view. Theres no way of knowing exactly what the Auburn contingency told Petrino.

Nutt lucked into it. His teams were not as consistently good as BP's were becoming. Nutt's teams were up and down like a yo yo. As long as Bama and LSU are where they are Arky does not have the resources to beat them. If BP was the coach when Bama and LSU were down like Nutt was he would have owned the west for the most part instead of stumbling through like Nutt did.

Nutt won in 07 because of Gus.

Yeah I know. I posted as much in an earlier post and also reminded all that the 2 players from Auburn who orchestrated that fiasco were quickly replaced. He didn't have to say he was interested. Afterall, he had only been at Louisville for one year. When approached he could've just as easily easily have said...you know Tubs was good to me for giving me a chance to get back into the the college game and passed on it.....but he didn't. He was willing to take his job and IMO thats tantamount to cutting his throat. you see it differently..no problem. Thats the way I see and you wont change my point of view. Theres no way of knowing exactly what the Auburn contingency told Petrino.

Of course you won't change your mind. Nobody ever does. That's why this world is so great.

It doesn't matter Tuberville made clear he wasn't going to leave Oxford by declaring, "They'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box." Days later he flew out of Oxford on one of Auburn's private jets to his new head coaching gig at Auburn. It doesn't matter that Tuberville ranked #1 in the NCAA for coordinator turnover for the decade at Auburn.* Ask assistants that were fired or resigned about Tuberville's "endless" loyalty.

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame Tuberville because at the end of the day, it's a business. Tuberville knows it. Petrino knows it. The assistant coaches know it. Tuberville dug his own grave in 2003 and the notion that Petrino cut Tuberville's throat is absolutely laughable to me, but I have to let you know something -- I'm not saying you won't change my mind. I keep it open on purpose -- I've been wrong too many times to keep it closed.

* Reference:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1225008932229840.xml&coll=2

Obviously, Ive given this topic a lot of thought. Ive about decided Im not really against Petrino but still contend that Auburn can do better. I also dont mind saying that I'll be glad when this whole ordeal is concluded and we can move on permanently

The question is in my mind, is who is better than Petrino and would want to come here?

How would that be different from Gus taking Chizik's job (assuming Gus is hired?) I don't see anyone complaining about that being underhanded.

Uhhh, seriously?? That's because it wouldn't be underhanded. Chiz is no longer the coach and Gus is being considered among others. No back alley meetings a few months ago while Chiz was still at the wheel. Your logic score: 0

Uhhh, seriously?? That's because it wouldn't be underhanded. Chiz is no longer the coach and Gus is being considered among others. No back alley meetings a few months ago while Chiz was still at the wheel. Your logic score: 0

Petrino was approached by Housel and Walker (not the other way around).

Petrino was told Tubs was gone (after all, Housel was Tubs' boss).

Petrino listened to their offer.

Conclusion:

I see no difference with this and the Gus situation.

Archived