Father questions disabled son's high grades

Auburn85

http://www.wsbtv.com...h-grades/nTWMT/

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. —

The father of a severely disabled Gwinnett high school student is questioning the district's curriculum and grading policy.

Although Wes DeWeese's 18-year-old son, Jared, cannot speak words, walk, read or write, he received outstanding scores in courses including algebra, biology and world history.

"My wife and I were pretty astounded. Glad he's getting 90s and 100s. But he can't do any of these. He has the mental capacity of a 6-month-old," DeWeese said.

DeWeese contacted Channel 2's Tom Regan because he believes the transcript and grades give a distorted and misleading record of his son's abilities and cognitive skills.

"This basically is telling me they're giving them scores of 100 because this reflects on the overall schools. There's no way Jared can do algebra. I don't think people in Jared's case should be graded on anything like this. It should be on the skills set forth, goals the parents set with the teachers," DeWeese said.

A representative for Gwinnett County Schools said she could not comment on Jared's transcript, but explained that the district is following policy, rules and regulations set by the Georgia Department of Education.

"Schools have to offer access to regular education courses for students with significant cognitive disabilities. We take those courses you see other students taking and we adapt those courses so students with significant cognitive disabilities can have access to those courses," Gwinnett School District Spokeswoman Sloan Roach said.

Sloan also explained how the grades for special needs students like Jared are determined.

"Their grade is based on participation with that curriculum to which they are given access," Roach said.

DeWeese said he understands that learning accommodations are necessary for severely disabled students like his son. But he believes a transcript stating his son is getting high grades in studies he cannot begin to comprehend is not helping.

"My goal isn't for him to do algebra. My goal is to have him walk. I would love to hear him say 'mom' or 'dad.' But I know that's probably never going to happen," DeWeese said.

In situations like this, it seems to be the preferred choice to simply allow the child to attend the school with all the other kids , to allow them to socialize and better 'fit in'. Still, doesn't seem rubber stamping high grades on the child, simply to help the schools over all GPA, is an answer. Seems it far more to benefit the school than the child.

Why is this kid at school? He has the capacity of a 6 month old? Is this just some sort of government funded day care?

I believe the child should have social interaction, but maybe somewhere that is designed for his benefit.

Or is this another part of NCLB.

Odd story.

Why is this kid at school? He has the capacity of a 6 month old? Is this just some sort of government funded day care?

I believe the child should have social interaction, but maybe somewhere that is designed for his benefit.

Or is this another part of NCLB.

Odd story.

Because he may never have the ability to say mom or dad but it has been proven that people with disabilities and learning differences do function better when immersed in society and school even if they would fail. The other kids who don't have learning difficulties in an inclusion class actually do better and have more compassion for society then kids not in those classes.

Gwinnett better watch out people sued APS because their just passed their kids (normal cognitive kids) and received millions. I know not the same but the fact is it is against policy to just promote. A good lawyer might latch on to this and ream them a new one.

The other kids who don't have learning difficulties in an inclusion class actually do better and have more compassion for society then kids not in those classes.

That's what the 'system' would have us all believe, at least. The kids have no say so in the matter, and simply have to deal w/ the distraction. Sure, they learn to cope w/ it , to some degree, but to say they do better and have more compassion? That's a bit of a stretch,imo.

The other kids who don't have learning difficulties in an inclusion class actually do better and have more compassion for society then kids not in those classes.

That's what the 'system' would have us all believe, at least. The kids have no say so in the matter, and simply have to deal w/ the distraction. Sure, they learn to cope w/ it , to some degree, but to say they do better and have more compassion? That's a bit of a stretch,imo.

I have seen it in action my statement is based on facts not a reaction or and agenda. Does it work 100% of the time most likely not but that is the problem in this country we want the 100% and you know what that never happens. We need to use our intelligence and passion and try it. If it fails fix, change, alter, create.

I have experienced it as an adult and as a student.

Inclusion also is tempered with moderate learning differences if you thought I meant a person with the capacity of a 6 month old was in a 3rd grade class that isn't the case but they might be included in specials like Art and PE and for normal learning they would be in a self contained class working with specific teachers.

Last time I check it is required by law to go to school and for school to be provided by the state regardless of capacity. If you have an issue with that take it up with you elected officials.

Archived