Illinois game thread

mustache eagle

Some stats from today's game:

Sullivan lead the way for Auburn with 21 points. Chubb - 13, Payne 10, Denson and Wallace 8, Noel Johnson 6, Shaq and Dixon Tatum 5 and Greene 3.

Auburn FGM-A - 29-60

Illinois FGM- A 25-51

3 point shooting

Auburn 11-23

Illinois 4-14

Free throws:

Auburn 10-14

Illinois 27-42

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference was in turnovers and getting to the line for free throws. I was proud of the team's showing in a hostile environment. I am hoping that they continue to improve to the point that, come tournament selection time, we are hearing this one referred to as a "quality" loss. See you on the plains Wed... don't be late... game time moved from 7 to 6.

WDE

Well that's game. Good game AU. I'm getting sick of "moral victories", though. It's about time we get past that stage

True. There will be a lot more of those especially with Price out. Leaving 8-10 points/game at the free-throw line isn't going to help pull out the close ones either. These kids will get there though. Program is getting better

You are right, but not relevant in this game. Auburn was 10-14 from the free throw line.

Good point, but I was referencing the team's history and likelihood of repetition through the season. They need to take advantage of every opportunity and I feel this is where they will drop the close ones over the rest of the season. I wasn't able to see the game in it's entirety just saw Chubb and Tatum go 1-2 each while the Illini' team as a whole go 10-a dozenish in the last couple minutes.

Sullivan lead the way for Auburn with 21 points. Chubb - 13, Payne 10, Denson and Wallace 8, Noel Johnson 6, Shaq and Dixon Tatum 5 and Greene 3.

Auburn FGM-A - 29-60

Illinois FGM- A 25-51

3 point shooting

Auburn 11-23

Illinois 4-14

Free throws:

Auburn 10-14

Illinois 27-42

Huh? I have the Big Ten Network and forgot it was on. So we shot 7 FT's a half to their 21? Was it some good home cooking or what?

Auburn FGM-A - 29-60

Illinois FGM- A 25-51

3 point shooting

Auburn 11-23

Illinois 4-14

Free throws:

Auburn 10-14

Illinois 27-42

Huh? I have the Big Ten Network and forgot it was on. So we shot 7 FT's a half to their 21? Was it some good home cooking or what?

Actually, I thought it was fairly well officiated. There were a few calls that were questionable but those seemed to cut both ways. To me, the difference was that they took it toward the basket more than we did.

Auburn FGM-A - 29-60

Illinois FGM- A 25-51

3 point shooting

Auburn 11-23

Illinois 4-14

Free throws:

Auburn 10-14

Illinois 27-42

Actually, I thought it was fairly well officiated. There were a few calls that were questionable but those seemed to cut both ways. To me, the difference was that they took it toward the basket more than we did.

Thanks. We need to find ways to get to the line more then. We must have played really well, to only lose by two, when there was that big of a difference in the amount of FT's shot.

Auburn FGM-A - 29-60

Illinois FGM- A 25-51

3 point shooting

Auburn 11-23

Illinois 4-14

Free throws:

Auburn 10-14

Illinois 27-42

The game was very well officiated. Look at the 3 point shots numbers. We took almost twice as many as they did, while they were going to the inside game quite often.

I have never been as excited over Auburn Basketball since Cliff left. This team should have beaten Winthrop and Illinois. I watched both games and Auburn still has room for much improvement,yet should have beaten 2 very GOOD TEAMS. Paul and Abrams are probalby 2 of the best Guards Auburn will face and Griffin is one of the best shooting Forwards/centers will see. Yet even with playing Josh,and having youth like Shaq and others Auburn almost won this Thing. If the defense can get better and our Big man can continue to improve and get chubb to being a reserve(instead of our feature center) shaq johnson can continu to grow up Noel...etc....This team will compete for the SEC WEST TITLE AND WILL GET THE 20 WINS it needs to be considered for the big dance.

I have never been as excited over Auburn Basketball since Cliff left. This team should have beaten Winthrop and Illinois. I watched both games and Auburn still has room for much improvement,yet should have beaten 2 very GOOD TEAMS. Paul and Abrams are probalby 2 of the best Guards Auburn will face and Griffin is one of the best shooting Forwards/centers will see. Yet even with playing Josh,and having youth like Shaq and others Auburn almost won this Thing. If the defense can get better and our Big man can continue to improve and get chubb to being a reserve(instead of our feature center) shaq johnson can continu to grow up Noel...etc....This team will compete for the SEC WEST TITLE AND WILL GET THE 20 WINS it needs to be considered for the big dance.

Thanks for the insight! I haven't seen every games. Watched quite a few. I forgot about todays game so didn't watch it. From what I have seen, I think the team has shown improvement over the course of the season. I have seen bad stretches in games that have really hurt us. IMO, Denson has made a huge difference since his return. Not sure how the SEC will go, but I am looking forward to seeing how our team grows the reast of the season.

Thanks for the insight! I haven't seen every games. Watched quite a few. I forgot about todays game so didn't watch it. From what I have seen, I think the team has shown improvement over the course of the season. I have seen bad stretches in games that have really hurt us. IMO, Denson has made a huge difference since his return. Not sure how the SEC will go, but I am looking forward to seeing how our team grows the reast of the season.

He absolutely has. He had an uncharacteristicly off day today. I think he had 8 points. The bright spot is that even with him having an off day, we still nearly beat the #12 team in the country. I'm excited about the direction of the program and how we are playing. This program is definitely on the rise.

SIAP but I thought the Big10 network broadcast of the game was outstanding. Even handed on both teams,the announcers were top notch and insightful without screaming at the microphone and they pointed out the good and bad both ways. I was very impressed and enjoyed the non-BSPN showboating.

Archived