BCS playoff

AU64

Does anyone believe that the current BCS playoff plan would have yielded a different champion this year? Might have been at least one different team in the final game...but likely the same result at the end.

JMO, but no matter what the system, over-rated teams like ND will end up in the playoff and some good teams will be left out because they lost a crucial game somewhere along the way....such as UGa or TAMU or Oregon....and some over rated team from the midwest will be included to assure that we have "diversity".

Yes, I am absolutely convinced Oregon would have ended up in the final game. And I don't think bama could hang with Oregon.

Definitely a different match up but 'Bama is darn good. I would've like to see Bama and Oregon go at it just for a good competitive game. One more year of BCS crap and the 4-team playoff will make things a lot better. Not perfect but a lot better.

Yes, I am absolutely convinced Oregon would have ended up in the final game. And I don't think bama could hang with Oregon.

Really? Signed Stanford and USC and their 51 points and crappy D (both who lost to Notre Dame)

That's questionable but I do agree that Oregon would've ended up with Bama and it would've been a more even matched game. ND had no shoot from the jump. This was my fear when Oregon lost. K. State would've got the same butt whooping too. Only team that was capable of beating Bama in the NC was Oregon.

As for the playoff system....I don't think it's far stretch to say that the SEC should certainly have 2 teams of the 4 teams in the playoff on a consistent basis particularly if the SEC has more than one team that only has 1 loss. I'm just concerned about this "committee" who's going to be picking the teams b/c as the final rankings came out today(Bama, Oregon, OH St., & ND)...I could easily see a committee picking those teams this year if the playoff system was in place to play for the NC if of course OH St. would have been able to qualify....leaving UGA out and putting in an overrated ND in the playoff. I hate Bama but in a way i'm glad ND got its butt whooped b/c they get several advantages other schools don't get.

I would've like to seen the playoffs be at least 6 teams...8 at most. With at least a 6 team playoff...the top 2 teams could earn a bye and then play it from there. I just feel like the Big 12 or ACC will have the opportunity to fill that 4th spot with only 1 loss over another SEC school with 1 loss that will be more deserving b/c of the schedule we play.

Does the playoff start this next season or the one after that?

The one after that...2014. One more year of the BCS.

I really think they need to get to 8 teams. Don't you think everyone would have sweated playing against either oregon or TA&M. A&M looked really good at the end of the season. Based on results, several SEC teams should be in the playoff.

I really think they need to get to 8 teams. Don't you think everyone would have sweated playing against either oregon or TA&M. A&M looked really good at the end of the season. Based on results, several SEC teams should be in the playoff.

Indeed! Should things stay at the status quo in the SEC, this conference is almost guaranteed 2 teams in the playoff each year. :bananadance:

College football is a #ucking joke!!

I will watch and attend Au games from now on but the sport as a whole is close to dead to me. I will worship at the alter of the NFL on Sunday instead.

Here is the problem since we have to listen to this myth that a playoff will destroy the regular season which is absolute crap and we have a system which encourages teams to schedule soft. College football simply tries to reward undefeated teams not make a determination on which team is actually the best.

Furthermore we hear how we need to maintain the importance of the regular season. Bullcrap. Alabama played LSU, UGA, Texas A&M (lost) and Notre Dame and then ten tomato cans. This would be akin to saying the Patriots beats the Broncos and Texans and Ravens so award them the Super Bowl. Its illogical.

Notre Dame clearly had no business in that game yet are rewarded for going undefeated with a weak schedule and being an independent.

Whose to say a 2 loss team couldnt be the best team in America. If we had a 16 team playoff like we should I would put my money on Texas A&M and you know what if they won it it they are the best team I dont care if they have 5 losses in the regular season (granted they wouldnt get in the playoff)

Until we create a preset formula and remove as much of the human bias as can (ie see the NFL playoffs) discontinue encouraging soft scheduling thus rewarding record not merit I am done with college football.

I am ready for Saturday at 3:30 Broncos V Ravens.

Dude you dont get it man Oregon lost a game Texas A&M lost 2 you CANT be the best team unless your undefeated (cough cough-sarcasm abounds)

Im with augrad..2004 we go undefeted get left out the NC game, 2010 we have to battle the ncca over cam and the refs in turdtown jus to get a shot at the title, but yet bama for the 2nd yr in a row loses toward the end of the season and still gets in. Ill still watch AU every saturday in the fall but as far as college football..its a joke

Im with augrad..2004 we go undefeted get left out the NC game, 2010 we have to battle the ncca over cam and the refs in turdtown jus to get a shot at the title, but yet bama for the 2nd yr in a row loses toward the end of the season and still gets in. Ill still watch AU every saturday in the fall but as far as college football..its a joke

Amen AUTigerFan!

I will watch and attend Au games from now on but the sport as a whole is close to dead to me. I will worship at the alter of the NFL on Sunday instead.

Here is the problem since we have to listen to this myth that a playoff will destroy the regular season which is absolute crap and we have a system which encourages teams to schedule soft. College football simply tries to reward undefeated teams not make a determination on which team is actually the best.

Furthermore we hear how we need to maintain the importance of the regular season. Bullcrap. Alabama played LSU, UGA, Texas A&M (lost) and Notre Dame and then ten tomato cans. This would be akin to saying the Patriots beats the Broncos and Texans and Ravens so award them the Super Bowl. Its illogical.

Notre Dame clearly had no business in that game yet are rewarded for going undefeated with a weak schedule and being an independent.

Whose to say a 2 loss team couldnt be the best team in America. If we had a 16 team playoff like we should I would put my money on Texas A&M and you know what if they won it it they are the best team I dont care if they have 5 losses in the regular season (granted they wouldnt get in the playoff)

Until we create a preset formula and remove as much of the human bias as can (ie see the NFL playoffs) discontinue encouraging soft scheduling thus rewarding record not merit I am done with college football.

Understand your frustration. I don't see a 16 team playoff ever happening in major college football. People would riot if a 3 or 4 loss team won the NC. I agree that the way the playoff system is set up now that teams could load up on soft teams and be considered in the playoff b/c of their undefeated record. Supposedly the committee selecting the teams are going to factor in strength of sched. and other criteria like the committee for college basketball does. No computer numbers or polls. I don't like that at ALL! That's why i think it should be at least a 6 team playoff but 8 would work best. Appeartly the new playoff system will run for 12 years...then re-evaluated. That's too long for a 4 team playoff.

I look at it from the prespective of will there be at least 6 or 8 teams that will truely be worthy of playing for a NC from year to year. With the landscape of college football i would say def. yes to 6 teams and most likely 8 teams too. With 8 teams the big conferences would be represented and schools like Boise St. or Utah St would have a chance of getting a spot if they add at least 2 quality teams to their schedule.

I don't want to see a team with more than two losses having a chance for a NC. Sure..it's fine for college basketball but i don't want to see that with football.

With the current system, only the top two teams in the BCS poll really matters. JMO but if the system had taken 4 teams this year, UF would not have made it...instead the top four would have been ND, Bama, Oregon and Kansas State. National voters would have made it work out that way.....to provide the "diversity" that I've seen BCS playoff proponents talk about so often.

No matter what voting system anyone uses, people will be doing cartwheels to make sure that two SEC teams do not end up in the top 4. In the years to come, the SEC Championship game will be played to determine the SEC's entry into the four team playoff....and that will be it for the SEC.

The downside of the new 14 and/or 16 team SEC is that another couple of teams will be eliminated from the opportunity to play in the BCS playoff.

I think bama already played the only two teams in the country that could beat them. GA and A&M. IMO those are the only two teams that a playoff may have benefitted, anyone else would just be postponing the inevitable.

With the current system, only the top two teams in the BCS poll really matters. JMO but if the system had taken 4 teams this year, UF would not have made it...instead the top four would have been ND, Bama, Oregon and Kansas State. National voters would have made it work out that way.....to provide the "diversity" that I've seen BCS playoff proponents talk about so often.

No matter what voting system anyone uses, people will be doing cartwheels to make sure that two SEC teams do not end up in the top 4. In the years to come, the SEC Championship game will be played to determine the SEC's entry into the four team playoff....and that will be it for the SEC.

The downside of the new 14 and/or 16 team SEC is that another couple of teams will be eliminated from the opportunity to play in the BCS playoff.

Yep. That is how it will likely shake out when it comes to the SEC Championship game. The revenue the SEC brings in alone...it should be given two spots! lol. Don't see how K. State would have got in though...more likely TX A&M b/c i do think the fact that Bama beat UGA would've been a big factor. It should be an 8 team playoff system to be worth anything.

Understand your frustration. I don't see a 16 team playoff ever happening in major college football. People would riot if a 3 or 4 loss team won the NC. I agree that the way the playoff system is set up now that teams could load up on soft teams and be considered in the playoff b/c of their undefeated record. Supposedly the committee selecting the teams are going to factor in strength of sched. and other criteria like the committee for college basketball does. No computer numbers or polls. I don't like that at ALL! That's why i think it should be at least a 6 team playoff but 8 would work best. Appeartly the new playoff system will run for 12 years...then re-evaluated. That's too long for a 4 team playoff.

I look at it from the prespective of will there be at least 6 or 8 teams that will truely be worthy of playing for a NC from year to year. With the landscape of college football i would say def. yes to 6 teams and most likely 8 teams too. With 8 teams the big conferences would be represented and schools like Boise St. or Utah St would have a chance of getting a spot if they add at least 2 quality teams to their schedule.

I don't want to see a team with more than two losses having a chance for a NC. Sure..it's fine for college basketball but i don't want to see that with football.

This is what a Wetzel plan would look like there would be I think one 3 loss team Tulsa. So a 3-4 loss team making a playoff is a strawman. But let me ask anyone IF Tulsa a 3 loss team ran the gauntlet and beat Notre Dame then Florida then Alabama or Oregon are they not the best team?

1. Notre Dame (at-large, Independent)
  2. Alabama (SEC champion)
  3. Oregon (at-large, Pac-12)
  4. Florida (at-large, SEC)
  5. Stanford (Pac-12 champion)
  6. Kansas State (Big 12 champion)
  7. Oklahoma (at-large, Big 12)
  8. Georgia (at-large, SEC)
  9. Florida State (ACC champion)
  10. Utah State (WAC champion)
  11. Wisconsin (Big Ten champion)
  12. Boise State (MWC champion)
  13. Northern Illinois (MAC champion)
  14. Louisville (Big East champion)
  15. Arkansas State (Sun Belt champion)
  16. Tulsa (C-USA champion)

This would be 1,000 times better then what we have an the regular season would matter for ALL conferences.

Actually there will be a 16 team playoff. The 16 teams will be the 16 Division Champions from the 4 Super Conferences ( the SEC,Big10,Big12 and PAC). Each conference will consist of 16 teams for a total of 64 teams in the Super Conferences. This also validates the regular season conference schedules and there will be no bogus polls or selection committees.

Round 1- the 4 Conference Division Champions within each Super Conference will play in Conference semifinal games. The winners advance to the Conference Championship games.

Round 2- the CCGs are played to determine the 4 Super Conference Champions.

Round 3- the 4 Super Conference Champions play in semifinal games. The 2 Super Conference Champion winners advance to the National Championship Game.

Round 4- the NCG is played to determine the National Champion.

I absolutely love college football - I don't care for the political crap that goes on behind-the-scenes, the polls, the bias, etc.

But, deep down in my soul I LOVE to watch college football. I love to watch any team play ball, l love watching college coaches match wits with one another every week. I love analyzing teams and their performance. I love the passion college football generates. I'm always somewhat depressed when the final bowl game ends, we move on to the drama of recruiting season - then on to spring training.... I HATE the dog days of summer were there is zero college football to discuss. I'm always so excited and eager to watch the first ball game of the season, no matter which teams are playing. I LOVE college football, period.

If we had had a playoff, uat would not have been in the championship game. Same goes for last year.

There's no way you could possibly know that.

Archived