2013 Defensive Backfield

AUpreacherman22

I know it is all speculative at this point, but given the switch to the 4-2-5 CEJ Defense where do you think the guys currently on roster will play?

Any position switches? LB to "Talon" position or Safeties to CB or CB to Safety?

Anybody wanna guess at a potential 2 deep?

Here's my Pre-Spring Depth Chart:

DE Ford SR

Owens JR

DE Eguae SR

Sanders SR

Nero RS FR

DT Blackson JR

Carter SR

Bradley JR (early JUCO enrollee)

DT Wright JR

Whitaker SR

Sigler JR

MLB McKinzy SO

Holland SR

LB Frost RS SO

Garrett JR

S Florence JR

McNeal SR

S Whitehead JR

T.J. Davis RS FR

Fisher JR

CB Davis SR

Jones SO

White SR

CB Holsey SO

Mincy JR

Rover Therezie JR

Smith SR

If Florence is still here (I am not an insider... I've just seen enough chatter to qualify the statement), he'll definitely factor into the rotation. So will Therezie if he remains on the defensive side of the ball. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a starter.

Ryan White and Smith will be there for depth, and both have spot starting experience.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the smaller LBs (Mitchell or Garrett) move back to the hybrid spot.

I think Whitehead belongs at CB

That would give us JW, Holsey, Mincy, and Davis as a 2 deep with pretty good potential at CB

I will be interested to see who fits into the rover position (smaller LB like JM or bigger safety like the JUCO King)

I think Whitehead belongs at CB

That would give us JW, Holsey, Mincy, and Davis as a 2 deep with pretty good potential at CB

I will be interested to see who fits into the rover position (smaller LB like JM or bigger safety like the JUCO King)

King could factor into the rotation, but we'll have to wait til fall camp to find out.

Javiere Mitchell played DE in high school. It's likely to take some time for him to adjust to playing in space which may hurt his chances of every breaking the starting rotation anywhere.

If Florence is still here (I am not an insider... I've just seen enough chatter to qualify the statement), he'll definitely factor into the rotation. So will Therezie if he remains on the defensive side of the ball. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a starter.

Ryan White and Smith will be there for depth, and both have spot starting experience.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the smaller LBs (Mitchell or Garrett) move back to the hybrid spot.

I hope Florence sticks around. I know he was unhappy with the old staff. Have not inquired about his feelings lately.

IMO if Florence and Frost immediately buy into what the new D-staff is selling....and committ to it 100%

they will BLOW UP in this defense.

bCB: C. Davis / White / Melton

SS: Whitehead / Smith

FS: McNeal / TJ Davis or Fisher

Talon: King or Florence

fCB: Holsey or Mincy /Jones

Obviously, it's way too early for this. On the other hand, putting it together gave me a better appreciation of our recruiting needs at Safety.

Yes, too early but I'll play. Starters with an asterik.

Corners (2):

C. Davis*

T. Davis

J. Holsey*

J. Jones

K. Melton

J. Mincy

R. White

Safeties (3):

T. Fisher

E. Florence*

B. King*

D. McNeal

R. Smith

A. Swain

J. Whitehead*

I'm not sure if Therezie lines up at RB, S or CB so I didn't list him. Also, on the new '13 roster they have Jav Mitchell listed at 6'2", 210 lbs., up from 197 lbs. last year. Assuming he has the skill set, I am wondering if he might be a candidate to move from LB to spur safety because he sure has the perfect size now.

In my opinion Holsey is gonna be our best cover guy. Chris Davis is solid too, if he can stay healthy. Both should benefit from better coaching. I think Whitehead will ultimately be moved back to corner. He played well there his freshman year. Last season he just looked a step slow most of the time, slow to react and diagnose plays. Mincy had some good moments the last couple of seasons and I like that J. Jones, despite his size, will stick his nose in there.

At safety, I'm holding out hope for a breakout from Florence and Therezie. Those two guys are as talented as they come but haven't put it together. McNeal is a solid player at times if he can learn the technical part of the game. Maybe as a senior the light will come on. I don't think I can take seeing him dive at the RB's feet in the hole anymore. It'll be interesting to see how the situation at the spur position develops in CEJ's defense.

Im all for whitehead to corner and believe it. I think therezie might be the hybrid or spur. For some reason i am no longer expecting much from frost. Just a hunch.

Im all for whitehead to corner and believe it. I think therezie might be the hybrid or spur. For some reason i am no longer expecting much from frost. Just a hunch.

Hmm, I'm thinking Frost will have a good year. We'll see soon enough right ? ;)

Hmm, I'm thinking Frost will have a good year. We'll see soon enough right ? ;)

Hope Ellis can bring out that mean streak in Frost! I'd love for him to have a breakout season. Add a possible RFoster to that group and you never know what this group will be able to do.

The DBs are the group I got the most confidence in. They've shown that they will come up and lay the lumber(LSU game comes to mind). We have 2 of the bes. position coaches in the game. The talent is DEFINITELY there. I'm optimistic we will have a lights out ball hogging secondary next year.

Coach Melvin Smith stated recently that he loved football players. Guys that understand the game and possess a high football IQ. He likes length, versatility and kids that love to play the game.

Erique Florence has all the physical tools (length), Therieze brings versatility and Whitehead posesses football smarts.

Hosley will be the one to watch, it seems he plays with confidence and he really seems to love the game of football and the competion.

Mincy, white, mcNeal and Davis (the veterans) need to improve their leadership by doing the little things in the film room and weight room, setting an example for the other guys.

I'm sure we will have to spend much of spring re-teaching fundamentals, let's hope they buy in.

It's a new day!!!!

Davis has shown flashes of really, really high level play as a boundary corner, but he's struggled to stay healthy (with a host of varying injuries) and seems to disappear from time to time. More than anything, I want him healthy and focused on consistently trying to win each down. If he does that, he's clearly our best cover guy.

Holsey and Mincy will definitely play. I think Therezie has the body type to be a very, very good boundary or slot corner.

I actually don't think Whitehead is moving back to CB. I definitely could be wrong. It's just a guess. He reminds me more of a Junior Rosegreen than a Carlos Rogers. He's solid in coverage but not necessarily someone you'd want on the field every down in that role, which is why he excelled as a Nickelback. Given time to learn the nuances and let the game slow down, I think he could be a special player at Safety.

Archived