1993 Auburn Tigers

WarEagle1982

18 minutes ago, JKClark said:

The Dillard four....Bostic, Sanders, Robinson and Jackson were amazing.  

Dillard Five. + Otis Mounds, the OG.

Yes they were amazing. Easily the best quintet of high school players ever at AU.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yes they were amazing. Easily the best quintet of high school players ever at AU.

Otis Mounds is proof that sometimes taking a chance on a guy, like Coach Dye did, pays off.  He is now a college football coach at ULM with Bowden.

• Love 1

For an example of how much our day to day lives have changed.. I was in my first year of law school in the fall of 1993.  With the games not being televised and no radio broadcast in New Orleans, a group of us that hadn't known each other before that fall pitched in and listened to several games, most importantly the Iron Bowl, by calling into a 1-900 number and paying to listen over a speaker phone.

We would  have loved to have been able to watch it live, but I can honestly say that we wouldn't have enjoyed it any more than we did sitting in a circle and living an dying with every play as described on the broadcast. I believe it cost $29, which we split 5 ways.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, Viper said:

I stand corrected.  I just remember signing those 4 in the same recruiting class.  Couldn't believe we signed 4 players from same schools in one year.

Forgot about Otis Mounds...."Otis Mounds...please report to the Auburn Locker Room...Otis Mounds."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Otis Mounds is proof that sometimes taking a chance on a guy, like Coach Dye did, pays off.  He is now a college football coach at ULM with Bowden.

Still a shame he ripped his knee up in the 93 Georgia game. It gave Ken Alvis his chance to shine in 94, and he did with two pick sixes, but wished Mounds had gotten to play his Senior season. 

• Like 2

On 3/9/2013 at 7:23 AM, WarEagle1982 said:

I was looking through some old stuff the other day and came across some magazines (one of them being the Sports Illustrated with Ace Atkins on the front) and videos I have on the 93 team. I was like, " Has it really been 20 years?" That was one of the best falls ever even though they were not on t.v. I was recently sitting next to Patrick Nix at a coaching clinic, and it took me back to the exact place where I was huddled around that little radio when he threw the 4th down touchdown to Frank Sanders to spark the comeback in the Iron Bowl. Great memories!

I have that same magazine signed and framed!

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that wasn’t 20 years ago, it was 29 years ago!!!!😳

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Interesting. Jim Fyffe’s opening monologue for the 93 Iron Bowl included military fans listening via “a remote outpost in South Korea.” Were you not able to listen?

I have that game somewhere on a cassette tape…and the Florida game.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Interesting. Jim Fyffe’s opening monologue for the 93 Iron Bowl included military fans listening via “a remote outpost in South Korea.” Were you not able to listen?

I wasn't. I think he was talking about Camp Liberty Bell up on the DMZ. 

49 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I have that game somewhere on a cassette tape…and the Florida game.

I’d love to get Fyffe’s opening monologue for the 93 Florida game from you. That one has always escaped me. I can trade you something you need. PM me. 

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

I wasn't. I think he was talking about Camp Liberty Bell up on the DMZ. 

Yup that was it. He did say DMZ. How was that broadcast? By phone? Or military radio?

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yup that was it. He did say DMZ. How was that broadcast? By phone? Or military radio?

Prob. by phone back in those days. We would get NFL games more often than college football on the radio or TV. My 1st Sgt was from Pittsburgh so he and I used to get up at 4am and watch them if they were on one of the main channels. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JKClark said:

Sitting in student section...10-0 and about to be 17-0 until Calvin Jackson took it back 100yds.  Thank you, Mr. Wuerffel.

The Dillard four....Bostic, Sanders, Robinson and Jackson were amazing.  

Same.  I can still picture Jackson running it back.  But I think the interception was on Dean, who was one of the leaders for the Heisman, if I recall correctly....  He got benched, Wuerffel took over and never looked back.

5 hours ago, Leftfield said:

But do you have photographic evidence that Jackson ran by you, like the handsome devil circled here?

1993.jpg

I was standing at a trough urinal in a north end zone RR. Trying to hear Jim’s call and take care of business. So loud you would have thought upper decks had collapsed. With all the jumping sure somebody got peed on but did not care.

So much noise you wondered if the upper decks 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, AUJarhead said:

Same.  I can still picture Jackson running it back.  But I think the interception was on Dean, who was one of the leaders for the Heisman, if I recall correctly....  He got benched, Wuerffel took over and never looked back.

I preface this with the memory isn't what it used to be, but i'm pretty sure that '93 interception was Wuerffel.  My recollection is that Dean was actually in the running for the Heisman in '94, and was eventually replaced by Wuerfful because he was struggling.  That was the day we learned Auburn had a TE, and his name was Andy Fuller. 

6 minutes ago, JKClark said:

I preface this with the memory isn't what it used to be, but i'm pretty sure that '93 interception was Wuerffel.  My recollection is that Dean was actually in the running for the Heisman in '94, and was eventually replaced by Wuerfful because he was struggling.  That was the day we learned Auburn had a TE, and his name was Andy Fuller. 

You are correct 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUJarhead said:

You have your years swapped. 

Wuerrfel started 93.

Dean started 94. Wuerffel took over after Dean’s 3rd INT.

Edited by Viper

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I was standing at a trough urinal in a north end zone RR. Trying to hear Jim’s call and take care of business. So loud you would have thought upper decks had collapsed. With all the jumping sure somebody got peed on but did not care.

So much noise you wondered if the upper decks 

I was in a call room at a VA hospital and managed to listen to that game without interruption. Unbelievable game and season. Man, that season on the radio….similar experience in 1983 but 1993 was magical in a different way; I guess after two years of Eric Ramsey, Dye resigning, etc. to have a year like that was *so* Auburn

• Like 1

In Houston, TX, we also got the radio games via telephone, I think the service was called teamlink or something like that. The Houston Area AU Club had listening parties at Scoreboard sports bar (it's no longer there).

As the season went on that year, we were getting over 300 people for the games. It was a crazy scene every week. During the Bama game I'm not sure how many people were there, upwards of around 400 or so I would guess. Some time, I believe it was in the 3rd QTR, the broadcast stopped!! Myself and a couple other guys were the ones who provided the equipment and called the service. They were about to string us up because it stopped! haha

Finally we called one of our buddies parents in Birmingham and had them put the phone up against the speaker with the radio broadcast going to get it piped back in. It was crazy, what a memorable season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JKClark said:

Yikes!  It’s my memory that isn’t so good!  I was at both 93 and 94, and guess I got them mixed up. 

7 hours ago, Viper said:

I’d love to get Fyffe’s opening monologue for the 93 Florida game from you. That one has always escaped me. I can trade you something you need. PM me. 

Let me attempt to dig it out first, its been in storage for years. I'll get back with ya.

• Love 1