Morning After Pill Now Available For 15 Year Olds

Weegle777

Figured I would add this here.

http://abcnews.go.co...43#.UYLTqrWcdv8

So What Happens If You Have No ID And Need Plan B?

Emily Deruy

Plan B, an emergency contraception that should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex to prevent pregnancy, will be available over-the-counter to women age 15 and up.

The Tuesday announcement by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) might sound like a win for women's rights organizations but it also means that girls and women who want the pill will have to prove they meet the minimum age requirement.

And that can be a problem for some.

People who request the pill will have to show a driver's license, passport or birth certificate. Most states don't allow people to apply for licenses until they are 16. Even then, fewer than one-third of all 16-year-olds have a license.

"Lowering the age restriction to 15 for over-the-counter access to Plan B One-Step may reduce delays for some young women," Nancy Northup, president and CEO of the Center for Reproductive Rights, said in a statement, "but it does nothing to address the significant barriers that far too many women of all ages will still find if they arrive at the drugstore without identification or after the pharmacy gates have been closed for the night or weekend."

And studies have shown that minorities are even less likely to have licenses. One reason is that they are more likely to be urban and rely on public transportation.

In the same way that minority rights organizations object to voter ID laws that require voters to produce proof of identification, organizations like the Center for Reproductive Rights say requiring women to prove their age will discriminate against minorities.

In some cases, people without a license also live the furthest from the offices that issue them. A report from the Brennan Center for Justicefound, for example, that heavily Hispanic areas of Texas have fewer ID-issuing offices than parts of the state where Latinos make up a small percentage of the population.

And as The Nation noted, passports and birth certificates aren't any easier to get ahold of if you're a teenager.

"Teens who don't have access to a government ID would not have any easier a time procuring a passport or birth certificate," wrote Jessica Valenti. "If a girl had either of those documents, it's most likely that her parents would have them filed away. And if a teenage girl wanted to obtain a passport or birth certificate herself, there is no way she could do so in the seventy-two hours needed to ensure that Plan B is effective."

That's particularly problematic when you consider that minority teens, particularly Latinas, are far more likely to become pregnant than their white peers. And the FDA concluded that Plan B is safe for women and girls of all ages.

As Valenti wrote, "I think it's fair to say that most people are uncomfortable with the idea of a 14-year-old having sex. But here's the thing—access to Plan B isn't about keeping a 14-year-old from having sex—by the time she gets to the pharmacy, that ship has sailed—it's about keeping a 14-year-old who has already had sex from getting pregnant."

A federal court order previously required the government to make emergency contraceptives available over the counter to women of all ages, but the Justice Department announced plans on Wednesday to file a challenge to that decision.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottom line is this...you're taking a situation where a girl (not a woman) is already showing signs of poor decision making by being sexually active. Then you compound the problem in one swift motion by simultaneously making it easier for snot-nosed punk boyfriends or her creepy 30-year old history teacher to pressure her and have influence in her decision while removing the ability of her parents to help guide her through the decision. Whether you like it or not, this is what you're advocating by taking the outliers and using them to make a rule that now covers all families.

Bottom line - what do you do with a pregnant 15 yr old. I have asked you several times for an answer. This does not compound a problem, this does not make it "ok", this is not about "outliers". You want an "outlier" - how about the 15 year old girl who thinks its ok to have sex, now, because of Plan B. I am sure that some 15 year old girl will base her decision on the availability of a pill and not give in to hormones unless she has Plan B.

From my last post:

"Once again - you are dwelling on my one way off in left field example. LaQuaShonda is the WORST CASE scenario - but every girl faces the same potential pregnancy related complications. Your example of "this makes rape easier to cover up" is just as far to one side as my statement. Again - tell me a better solution to a problem that is not going away with keeping the fact in mind you are dealing with a teenage girl who is probably scared out her mind and HIGHLY unlikely to talk to an adult."

Care to answer yet, Titan?

Bottom line - what do you do with a pregnant 15 yr old. I have asked you several times for an answer.

What I've said multiple times...this is a decision that a 15-year old needs to make in consultation with her parents, not alone, not under the pressure from her equally immature boyfriend and not with the guy who's several years older than her. Why is that such a novel concept to you?

This does not compound a problem, this does not make it "ok", this is not about "outliers". You want an "outlier" - how about the 15 year old girl who thinks its ok to have sex, now, because of Plan B. I am sure that some 15 year old girl will base her decision on the availability of a pill and not give in to hormones unless she has Plan B.

Yes, it does. These are huge life decisions. Decisions a 15-year old shouldn't be making on her own. We certainly shouldn't be making it easier for her to keep her sex life secret, especially if it involves a much older man.

You assume that every 15 year old that got pregnant is going to decide to talk to her parents about having sex and needing Plan B. A good parent is in touch enough with their kid that IF they need Plan B then the parents will know. We live in the times of color TV - "this is a decision that a 15-year old needs to make in consultation with her parents, not alone" is not going to work - hence why there is a puch for OTCBC (sounds military lol). It would be best, I agree, but it does not work.

"Why is that such a novel concept to you?" How about not being a dick? I beleive your answers are completely outdated and would have worked well in the 1920's. Hence, the debate. Is that a novel concept that someone may not like your answers?

"Yes, it does. These are huge life decisions. Decisions a 15-year old shouldn't be making on her own. We certainly shouldn't be making it easier for her to keep her sex life secret, especially if it involves a much older man."

Once again - this hypothetical girl has already made a very bad decision. This older man concept is old buddy. Yes, I get it. Let's take it off the market because of an "outlier". Does she really need to have his baby to prove his guilt? Talk with your kids and stay involved in thier school life ---> Kids suck at keeping secrets. Or, just teach your 15 year old not to screw the teacher. And, her equally immature BF should be the guy walking to the store to buy the Plan B.

I just cannot buy into "Plan B causes underage sex." How about Farrah Abrahams selling her sex tape (with a much older man) at 18 for $2million. I bet that is just a little more catchy than Plan B to a 15 year old.

Plan B only works for a very short time after coitus. This is much more of a "we tried one thing and it may have broken" or some stupid mistake fix. It's much more prudent to let them have ACCESS to it and be able to use it then tell their parents than to wait just a few days too long in fear of the parent's response at them having sex in the first place.

It's a stop-gap, not a preventive measure. It absolutely doesn't replace a good parenting system or relationship, but many are simply not afforded that option.

Well, since we are using hypothetical situations to support our positions, what if the "older man" is her father or uncle?

then he's a bammer fan.

You assume that every 15 year old that got pregnant is going to decide to talk to her parents about having sex and needing Plan B.

And you assume that every child isn't going to and will therefore become pregnant as the only possible other option.

A good parent is in touch enough with their kid that IF they need Plan B then the parents will know.

Maybe. Unless the boyfriend is pressuring her not to tell either because he's too old or because her parents will tell his parents he's sexually active and he doesn't want them to know.

We live in the times of color TV - "this is a decision that a 15-year old needs to make in consultation with her parents, not alone" is not going to work - hence why there is a puch for OTCBC (sounds military lol). It would be best, I agree, but it does not work.

It will work when society decides that taking the position of "kids will be kids" and then greasing the rails to make it even easier to isolate from parents isn't going to help.

"Why is that such a novel concept to you?" How about not being a dick? I beleive your answers are completely outdated and would have worked well in the 1920's. Hence, the debate. Is that a novel concept that someone may not like your answers?

Perhaps it's because you seem to live in this liberal bubble where pregnancy is some affliction to be cured and anyone that doesn't embrace the "everyone's doing it" position is stuck in 90 years ago. That's simply not the case.

"Yes, it does. These are huge life decisions. Decisions a 15-year old shouldn't be making on her own. We certainly shouldn't be making it easier for her to keep her sex life secret, especially if it involves a much older man."

Once again - this hypothetical girl has already made a very bad decision. This older man concept is old buddy. Yes, I get it. Let's take it off the market because of an "outlier".

I won't take it off the market because it undermines your case. It's not an outlier. Hell, when I was 17 I was dating a girl who was in college. Now, we weren't sexually active at the time but if you don't think this sort of thing is happening and happening frequently (not an "outlier"), you're crazy. Older guys sometimes (not rarely) target younger girls. A college kid that might not be the campus Cassanova has a lot of allure for a high school sophomore. A 26-year old guy with a job and a pretty nice car could get a whole lot of high school girls to be more willing than perhaps a girl on his age level who can see through his skeeviness. All I'm saying is, this isn't some rare occurrence. It's all too common. We shouldn't be making their job easier for them.

If anything an outlier it's taking LaShaQuanda whose parents don't give a crap about her and making her situation the rule that now even the involved parents find themselves left out by.

Does she really need to have his baby to prove his guilt?

No. But if she has to come to an adult parent or guardian, the affair is exposed. The parents could still choose to get Plan B for her. But we shouldn't be making it easier to conceal statutory rape.

Talk with your kids and stay involved in thier school life ---> Kids suck at keeping secrets. Or, just teach your 15 year old not to screw the teacher. And, her equally immature BF should be the guy walking to the store to buy the Plan B.

I will do all of that as will most parents. But then our government decides to step in and tell our children, in essence, "Mom and Dad don't even have to know. Just take care of this huge decision all by yourself." It drives kids into even more secrecy. It's just a completely wrongheaded way to handle it.

I just cannot buy into "Plan B causes underage sex." How about Farrah Abrahams selling her sex tape (with a much older man) at 18 for $2million. I bet that is just a little more catchy than Plan B to a 15 year old.

Well, that's your argument, not mine, so I really don't feel the need to defend a point I never made.

Well, since we are using hypothetical situations to support our positions, what if the "older man" is her father or uncle?

then he's a bammer fan.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

then he's a bammer fan.

:laugh:

You assume that every 15 year old that got pregnant is going to decide to talk to her parents about having sex and needing Plan B.

And you assume that every child isn't going to and will therefore become pregnant as the only possible other option.

Way off base buddy - Outside of raising kids right and hoping for the best we have 2 options. 1)Help the kid give birth 2)Hope they got Plan B. My argument has options while your argument relies solely on a 15 yr old girl (probably scared out her mind) talking to her parents within 3 days.

A good parent is in touch enough with their kid that IF they need Plan B then the parents will know.

Maybe. Unless the boyfriend is pressuring her not to tell either because he's too old or because her parents will tell his parents he's sexually active and he doesn't want them to know.

You are right - Maybe that happens. And if neither tell then we have a 15 yr old giving birth. Ill take Plan B and find out later.

We live in the times of color TV - "this is a decision that a 15-year old needs to make in consultation with her parents, not alone" is not going to work - hence why there is a puch for OTCBC (sounds military lol). It would be best, I agree, but it does not work.

It will work when society decides that taking the position of "kids will be kids" and then greasing the rails to make it even easier to isolate from parents isn't going to help.

The part of "greasing the rails" I suppose I dont agree with. But honestly - is society going to change? Do you really think so? I would love it if we could, but many people just dont care and need Plan B.

Perhaps it's because you seem to live in this liberal bubble where pregnancy is some affliction to be cured and anyone that doesn't embrace the "everyone's doing it" position is stuck in 90 years ago. That's simply not the case.

There you go assuming wrong again. "liberal bubble where pregnancy is some affliction to be cured and anyone that doesn't embrace the "everyone's doing it" position is stuck in 90 years ago..." I am trying to figure out how you came up with that. I only argue it should be an option given the HUGE number of teenage births.

Once again - this hypothetical girl has already made a very bad decision. This older man concept is old buddy. Yes, I get it. Let's take it off the market because of an "outlier".

I won't take it off the market because it undermines your case. It's not an outlier. Hell, when I was 17 I was dating a girl who was in college. Now, we weren't sexually active at the time but if you don't think this sort of thing is happening and happening frequently (not an "outlier"), you're crazy. Older guys sometimes (not rarely) target younger girls. A college kid that might not be the campus Cassanova has a lot of allure for a high school sophomore. A 26-year old guy with a job and a pretty nice car could get a whole lot of high school girls to be more willing than perhaps a girl on his age level who can see through his skeeviness. All I'm saying is, this isn't some rare occurrence. It's all too common. We shouldn't be making their job easier for them.

If anything an outlier it's taking LaShaQuanda whose parents don't give a crap about her and making her situation the rule that now even the involved parents find themselves left out by.

Nice spin job buddy - lets make the hypothetical case of a guy raping only because of Plan B the rule? Yes, college guys can get the HS girl. I know this happens all the time. Rarely results in rape, however.

Does she really need to have his baby to prove his guilt?

No. But if she has to come to an adult parent or guardian, the affair is exposed. The parents could still choose to get Plan B for her. But we shouldn't be making it easier to conceal statutory rape.

Well if the girl comes clean to her folks about the older man she has been seeing and got her pregnant within 3 days - yes. You need to let this rape idea go. Yes Yes Yes - it could happen so lets take away a drug that could save the lives and futures of American youth?

Talk with your kids and stay involved in thier school life ---> Kids suck at keeping secrets. Or, just teach your 15 year old not to screw the teacher. And, her equally immature BF should be the guy walking to the store to buy the Plan B.

I will do all of that as will most parents. But then our government decides to step in and tell our children, in essence, "Mom and Dad don't even have to know. Just take care of this huge decision all by yourself." It drives kids into even more secrecy. It's just a completely wrongheaded way to handle it.

Just take care of this huge decision by yourself? How is it a big decision? Have a baby or take Plan B. I probably could have figured that out at 13 or younger. THE HUGE DESICION WAS HAVING SEX IN THE FIRST PLACE - NOT PLAN B <----- Just want to make sure you saw that - and no way in hell any kid is going to think well since Plan B is out there I am going to be a whore without some disfunction in the family.

Well, that's your argument, not mine, so I really don't feel the need to defend a point I never made.

This is in response to you trying to drive home the point "Plan B causes kids to want to have sex".

Plan B only works for a very short time after coitus. This is much more of a "we tried one thing and it may have broken" or some stupid mistake fix. It's much more prudent to let them have ACCESS to it and be able to use it then tell their parents than to wait just a few days too long in fear of the parent's response at them having sex in the first place.

It's a stop-gap, not a preventive measure. It absolutely doesn't replace a good parenting system or relationship, but many are simply not afforded that option.

Bingo

I'm done trying to respond to you on this. I completely disagree with your approach. You (possibly) solve one problem while ignoring a whole host of others, IMO. And I'd rather the government not find one more way to insert itself into the parent-child relationship with their own values instead of ours. But we simply aren't going to agree on this.

The only thing I will rebut is this thing where you keep putting words into my mouth. I never said anything about Plan B causing kids to want to have sex. That's something you pulled out of your nether regions, not me.

.....I won't take it off the market because it undermines your case.

What about my hypothetical (a close family member is the father)?

Does that not undermine your case? It's probably just as likely as your hypothetical.

Hell, when I was 17 I was dating a girl who was in college. Now, we weren't sexually active at the time but if you don't think this sort of thing is happening and happening frequently (not an "outlier"), you're crazy.

Nice plug!

Not relevant, but I'm impressed.

Older guys sometimes (not rarely) target younger girls. A college kid that might not be the campus Cassanova has a lot of allure for a high school sophomore. A 26-year old guy with a job and a pretty nice car could get a whole lot of high school girls to be more willing than perhaps a girl on his age level who can see through his skeeviness. All I'm saying is, this isn't some rare occurrence. It's all too common. We shouldn't be making their job easier for them.

This is starting to sound like you have personal experience...

I'm done trying to respond to you on this. I completely disagree with your approach. Yo u (possibly) solve one problem while ignoring a whole host of others, IMO. And I'd rather the government not find one more way to insert itself into the parent-child relationship with their own values instead of ours. But we simply aren't going to agree on this.

The only thing I will rebut is this thing where you keep putting words into my mouth. I never said anything about Plan B causing kids to want to have sex. That's something you pulled out of your nether regions, not me.

one at a time is how you do it. you do acknowledge it possibly solves one problem. and in your second paragraph you indicate it doesn't cause teen sex. what is your gripe? the parent child relationship is important but not what this is about.

A child under 18 requires parental consent to get married. However a child under 18 does not require parental consent to have sex. Therefore a child conceiving bastard child without parental consent is legal, however it is obviously immoral.

Conceiving a bastard child does not require parental consent, so why should preventing (before conception) a bastard child require parental consent?

A child under 18 requires parental consent to get married. However a child under 18 does not require parental consent to have sex. Therefore a child conceiving bastard child without parental consent is legal, however it is obviously immoral.

Conceiving a bastard child does not require parental consent, so why should preventing (before conception) a bastard child require parental consent?

sad, but true

Because a 10 or 11 year old girl is not mature enough to handle powerful hormones and be trusted to understand the effects of taking too much and so on? I'm not even confident a 15-year old is, but I damn sure don't think kids younger than that should be doing this without parental involvement.

Because a 10 or 11 year old girl is not mature enough to handle powerful hormones and be trusted to understand the effects of taking too much and so on? I'm not even confident a 15-year old is, but I damn sure don't think kids younger than that should be doing this without parental involvement.

A pregnant 10 or 11 year old is already handling powerful hormones. Kind of hard to argue that she's too immature to handle the morning-after pill.

But I can understand your position. No one wants to think of their 10-11 year old daughter unilaterally taking contraception, much less having sex. But if she is, I'd say parental guidance has already failed. But it would certainly be nice if she had a trusted adult to help her through her situation.

I know this is an unfair hypothetical, but would you rather subject your 10 year old to the morning-after pill or a pregnancy? (Keep in mind she was raped by definition.)

A pregnant 10 or 11 year old is already handling powerful hormones. Kind of hard to argue that she's too immature to handle the morning-after pill.

She's handling powerful naturally occurring hormones in her own body. And unless some glands are malfunctioning, they are regulating themselves. She is not handling powerful chemically produced hormones that she has to self-regulate by taking proper dosages.

I know this is an unfair hypothetical, but would you rather subject your 10 year old to the morning-after pill or a pregnancy? (Keep in mind she was raped by definition.)

Probably the pill if I'm more certain it's not an abortafacient. That said, she's not old enough to properly make that decision on her own.

She's handling powerful naturally occurring hormones in her own body. And unless some glands are malfunctioning, they are regulating themselves. She is not handling powerful chemically produced hormones that she has to self-regulate by taking proper dosages.

OK, I understand your point, but my point was really that if a woman is old enough to get pregnant there's really no reason to think her body can't handle the same pill as pregnant 20 year-old.

In other words, there's nothing medically significant about the fact she is 10-11. But I will admit I have no evidence to back that up. But then, I don't think there is medical evidence to arbitrarily mandate a minimum age for the morning-after pill.

Probably the pill if I'm more certain it's not an abortafacient. That said, she's not old enough to properly make that decision on her own.

Well, I don't know if the morning-after pill is an "abortafacient" or not. It guess it depends on your definition. My understanding is that at least one of the mechanisms by which it works (preventing ovulation) would clearly be contraceptive. But I suspect there could be other mechanisms that some might consider abortion. (I'll let you do the research on that)

Regardless, if it were my 10-11 year old, I'd see the pregnancy was terminated one way or the other. Like you said, she's not old enough to make such a decision on her own. And in my calculus, the morning-after pill (or "emergency contraception" as I think it is more accurately called) is easily the least problematic option.

OK, I understand your point, but my point was really that if a woman is old enough to get pregnant there's really no reason to think her body can't handle the same pill as pregnant 20 year-old.

Except that at 10 or 11 years old, she's likely anywhere between 40 and 100 lbs. or more lighter, yet she's taking a dose intended for a grown woman.

In other words, there's nothing medically significant about the fact she is 10-11. But I will admit I h ave no evidence to back that up. But then, I don't think there is medical evidence to arbitrarily mandate a minimum age for the morning-after pill.

Again, aside from the fact that a girl that young may not understand that dosages for medicine should be followed closely. She might, deciding on this all by herself with no doctor or adult helping, take two or three doses at one time thinking "if one dose works well, two doses will make doubly sure!" The maturity level isn't such that this is a good decision to leave in someone's hands that young at all.

Well, I don't know if the morning-after pill is an "abortafacient" or not. It guess it depends on your definition. My understanding is that at least one of the mechanisms by which it works (preventing ovulation) would clearly be contraceptive. But I suspect there could be other mechanisms that some might consider abortion. (I'll let you do the research on that)

Regardless, if it were my 10-11 year old, I'd see the pregnancy was terminated one way or the other. Like you said, she's not old enough to make such a decision on her own. And in my calculus, the morning-after pill (or "emergency contraception" as I think it is more accurately called) is easily the least problematic option.

That's fine. And it may be the option I'd choose for her anyway. But there's no way in hell I'd want my 11 year old doing this whole thing on her own. Way too risky.

Archived