Tiger Trek - Huntsville Edition

RunInRed

FYI - Here's the complete schedule for the summer...

Huntsville-Madison County

Tuesday, May 7

Davidson Center // One Tranquility Base, Huntsville, Ala.

Alabama Gulf Coast Regional

Thursday, May 9

Daphne Civic Center // 2603 U.S. Highway 98, Daphne, Alabama

Atlanta Auburn Club

Tuesday, May 14

STATS // 300 Marietta Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia

North Alabama Regional

Thursday, May 30

McGulkin Civic Center // 510 5th St. SW, Cullman, Alabama

Wiregrass Regional

Tuesday, June 4

The Lodge at Lakepoint State Park // 104 Lakepoint Dr. Eufaula, AL

Shoals Area

Thursday, June 6

Marriott Shoals Conference Center

Birmingham

Wednesday, July 17

Cahaba Grand Conference Center // 3660 Grandview Pkwy. Birmingham, Alabama

River Region

Tuesday, July 30

Montgomery Biscuits Stadium // 200 Coosa St. Montgomery, Alabama

935051_10151589101099894_685896404_n.jpg

HUNTSVILLE — Gus Malzahn played the big room — the really big room — Tuesday, and he knew just what to say.

"Rocket City, as fast I like to play football, it's a perfect fit."

Welcome to the first stop of Tiger Trek 2013.

Auburn's new head coach signed autographs, shook hands and talked about his Tigers at the Space and Rocket Center under a 363-foot Saturn V rocket stretching the length of the building. It was the first of eight stops for Malzahn on this year's tour of Auburn clubs. More than 500 faithful turned out to hear their head coach and for a little small talk at the Huntsville-Madison County Auburn Club.

Malzahn signed photos, football and hats; and seemed especially happy to sign one cap that told of Auburn's 2010 national championship, the championship that Malzahn helped win when he was the offensive coordinator.

"It's so nice to have you back," said more than one fan.

The fans had turned out already. A crowd of 83,000 were on hand for the A-Day Game last month.

"That shows our players and coaches and the rest of college football that you don't keep Auburn down," Malzahn said.

Malzahn talked football, ripping off details as fast as he runs plays. He said this is what he told his players.

"I was real honest with where we're at," Malzahn said. "I told them we've got work to do. I'm happy with their attitude and where we're going. But we've got a lot of work to do this summer."

•"Ya'll ready for me to tell you who the starting quarterback will be?" Malzahn said. "I don't know yet."

Malzahn said he'd like to name a starter "as soon as possible, but every situation is different. Until we figure out who gives us the best chance of winning, and we're 100 percent as coaches on that, we'll make a call. Until then, it will be open.

•On players returning for the fall: "Our guys are all intact getting ready for summer school."

•On his assistants and recruiting: "They're all on the same page. I think you saw what they did the last four weeks of recruiting (in February), and things are looking

good right now. I'm excited."

•On leadership:"We did have some guys buy into what we're doing. It takes a lot of guys to lead a team, and we're getting there. We're not there yet. We'll stay on our guys."

•On running backs: "That was a position going into the spring I was a little worried about depth, but Cameron Artis-Payne had a great spring. Corey Grant came on. And we already knew what Tre (Mason) could do. He was a little banged up, but it may have been a blessing in disguise to get those other guys a lot of reps. We feel like we have some depth there with them, and the two guys coming."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050713aaa.html

We've got Coach Lashlee coming to our Greater Nashville Club meeting on May 14th. I'm trying to get Coach Rocker over as our guest! Gonna be lots of fun hearing from Lashlee.

I apologize for the ignorance but what is Tiger Trek? With it starting in Huntsville it sounds like some kind of Star Trek thing.

I apologize for the ignorance but what is Tiger Trek? With it starting in Huntsville it sounds like some kind of Star Trek thing.

you know what it is..they do it every year. The HC and sometimes assistants too travel around to speak to alumni groups and Auburn fans around the state.

A BIG thank you to everyone who came out for Tiger Trek last night. We had 500+ people! Loved seeing the sea of orange and blue under the rocket at the Davidson Center! We are so humbled by the support for Auburn, our new coach, and especially our scholarship recipients! WAR EAGLE!

945992_505766002806066_1873156304_n.jpg

https://www.facebook...7042?ref=stream

Essentially, an Auburn Club tour featuring Gus.

you know what it is..they do it every year. The HC and sometimes assistants too travel around to speak to alumni groups and Auburn fans around the state.

I had never heard of it before now. Thanks for the 411 though.

I've never heard it called "Tiger Trek", I like it though.

Great way to kick it off in Huntsville.

Ha! Boy do I love me some bad jokes

I've never heard it called "Tiger Trek", I like it though.

Great way to kick it off in Huntsville.

What was it called during the Chizik years? I cant remember.

Essentially, an Auburn Club tour featuring Gus.

Tiger Trek is basically Malzahn hitting all of the MAJOR recruiting spots within a certain radius of Auburn. Gus will be in H'ville, B'ham, Montgomery, Mobile, Atlanta, and a few others. These are the only AU club events that he will speak at. Other assistants will spread out based on their recruiting areas and schedules to go to a few other AU clubs around country. All 98 clubs do not get a speaker for their annual meeting. It's based on prior club history to get a coach there. Bigger clubs get Malzahn, Garner, etc. The Alumni Association sponsored coach speaking circuit has been called Tiger Trek for as long as I've known. I think Tiger Prowl might have been the coaches recruiting trip in limo one year?

I'm President of the Nashville Auburn Club. As I said, we have Coach Lashlee coming to town on May 14th.

Was a good event. I wanted to hear a little more for coach about things that mattered. He went through the 2-deep. I wanted to hear about his he was turning things around. I wanted to hear about expectations.

I'd also have liked the even to have lasted longer and be set up to allow more mix and mingle. Doors opened. Get autograph. Eat. Listen to

Coach. Go home.

Over all, well done and was fun. Even kid friendly. I took 2 of my 3.

Here are my thoughts:

http://best5zach.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-auburn-realist-tiger-trek-2013.html

Archived