AU vs FL Game 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just great...Why leave O'neal in after letting 2 get on in the bottom of the 9th?

You don't know CJP very well, do you?

Just great...Why leave O'neal in after letting 2 get on in the bottom of the 9th?

Ya know I've not been one of his biggest bashers, but that was just poor management. To leave a guyin who has pitched the entire game in the bottom of the 9th after he walks a guy, then gives up a single is hard to imagine. I hate it for O'Neal. I understand having faith in your guy, and I respect that, but he should've been pulled after the first guy got on. Just a shame.

I don't understand the decision to leave O'Neal in after the base hit with two outs

O'Neal was trying to get the complete game, and he's very capable of it. He just made a mistake.

Ya know I've not been one of his biggest bashers, but that was just poor management. To leave a guyin who has pitched the entire game in the bottom of the 9th after he walks a guy, then gives up a single is hard to imagine. I hate it for O'Neal. I understand having faith in your guy, and I respect that, but he should've been pulled after the first guy got on. Just a shame.

Yup, went to pull pitchers seems to be a weak spot for CJP.

I don't understand the decision to leave O'Neal in after the base hit with two outs

O'Neal was trying to get the complete game, and he's very capable of it. He just made a mistake.

The mistake was leaving him in after the walk. In that situation, with your pitcher on his last pitches, if he doesn't get 3 up 3 down, you bring in your closer. Pretty common baseball strategy.

His coach should have never put him in that position. Complete game means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Mistake my eye, that's on Pawlowski, not O'Neal.

OK....on to tomorrow.

Exactly what our guys need to do; series win Is important; lets be excited about tomorrow; it happens, it's baseball, it's a bad decision by CJP but lets put it behind us

Yeah. Makes tomorrow a must win. Our guys need to put this one behind them. Proud of the way our guys battled tonight with their backs against a wall.

Maybe so, and this one was a tough call. The book says to make a change after the first runner reached. Not sure it would have made a difference but the odds say the change would have helped more than it hurt with a three run lead.

Unfortunate loss.

It's a bad decision at the worst possible time of the year. These aren't little mistakes, they are huge mistakes. A win tomorrow can still wipe the stench away but a loss will be magnified going in to the last weekend of SEC play. Hindsight is 20/20, but even if AU would have won, leaving O'Neil in, as good as he pitched, was a mind-boggling decision with ANY runners on in the 9th. O'Neil deserved better from his skipper and I hope someone helps him see that so he can sleep tonight.

That said, AU is playing as good as they have all year and this is the right time to be doing it. A win tomorrow would be big. I don't know the numbers as far as what it would take to insure AU goes to the SEC tournament, but I'm sure a win tomorrow would have to put them very close to a guaranteed spot.

Maybe so, and this one was a tough call. The book says to make a change after the first runner reached. Not sure it would have made a difference but the odds say the change would have helped more than it hurt with a three run lead.

Unfortunate loss.

IMO, it really depends on how O'Neal was looking. If his stuff was still sharp, I have no problem with leaving him in. After the tie, we go to the pen and walk the first batter on a full count pitch. O'Neal had just reached the 100 pitch count. What hurt was an E that cost us a run and the lead-off hit batter in the ninth. It's little things like that that will cost you wins. Like I said though, our guys battled their rears off tonight. Just a heart breaking loss.

IMO, it really depends on how O'Neal was looking. If his stuff was still sharp, I have no problem with leaving him in. After the tie, we go to the pen and walk the first batter on a full count pitch. O'Neal had just reached the 100 pitch count. What hurt was an E that cost us a run and the lead-off hit batter in the ninth. It's little things like that that will cost you wins. Like I said though, our guys battled their rears off tonight. Just a heart breaking loss.

If you ask 100 college baseball coaches what to do once your starter has a runner on, at 100 pitches, in the ninth inning, 99 of the would say, "Bring in your closer." It's just unfortunate for AU tonight that the one holdout was calling the shots for this game.

Archived